Want to see your ship design in a video?

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Avis
x2

Want to see your ship design in a video?

Post by Avis » Thu, 3. Nov 05, 21:17

I'm making preparations for another fanvid, somthing a little different this time, however I thought I'd open up to designs and concepts from the creative forum.

basicaly, it doesn't have to be 3D and if it is 3D doesn't even have to be all that impressive just a general design, I'm happy to sort out the texturing etc (that said stupendously high polygon count ship models can erm, well,, no ;-) )
even rough sketches are welcome.

only criteria are,
NOT a battleship, NOT too hightech (ie more firefly less startrek) and it's of Human design and construction.

PS - this video won't feature THE EMPIRE in all it's glory, so your designs won't suffer at Imperial hands ;-)

KiwiNZ
x4

Re: Want to see your ship design in a video?

Post by KiwiNZ » Thu, 3. Nov 05, 21:22

That sounds like a great chance for our aspiring graphics geniuses! :thumb_up:
Avis wrote:PS - this video won't feature THE EMPIRE in all it's glory, so your designs won't suffer at Imperial hands ;-)
:lol:

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 03:03

hehe :-)

no takers so far, anyway here is a test render of an X Universe oldie :-) an early Earth Cruiser as seen (well sort of) in X-BTF intro sequence.. of course I'm re-working the model to be a bit more,, well,,, up to date.
still needs a fair bit 'detail and lighting' work doing.

The Image bellow is as the video should look (I'm going for that soft camera exposure look aka Prince of Persia and now X3 with higher shader settings enabled).

click image for 1600x1200 version
[ external image ]

Arsaneus
x4

Post by Arsaneus » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 07:38

the problem is..I have no ideas. But I's sure you'll be doing a great job as ever. Lokking forward to see som more resuslts. :D

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 09:23

Cant wait to see it Avis :wink:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 09:52

Nice one, Avis!

Can't believe there are no takers. All I can imagin is that they don't trust the Empire to keep word and stay out of it :P

Urashima Keitaro
x2

Post by Urashima Keitaro » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 15:46

I only just saw this. I'll have to remember to place my doodles in the scanner. :lol:

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 16:31

http://www.maxgaming.net/~esd/fighter.zip - 1.5mb, inc textures, exc pilot and chair.

It's still a wip, so feel free to tweak.

Preview.
Last edited by esd on Sat, 5. Nov 05, 16:35, edited 1 time in total.
esd's Guides: X² Loops - X³ MORTs

Player.
x3tc

Post by Player. » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 16:33

esd your first link doesnt work :roll:
http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=183585 - X2 The Threat High Definition Mod - You know you wanna :)

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 16:35

Player. wrote:esd your first link doesnt work :roll:
Works for me.

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 16:36

esd wrote:http://www.maxgaming.net/~esd/fighter1.zip - 1.5mb, inc textures, exc pilot and chair.

Preview.
cool, it's more involved than I need (ie cockpit & chair) but the design I'll half inch :-) and credit acordingly of course. I 'may' alter a few bits here and there but I'll run it by you once I get somwhere with it. and post previews for suggestions etc.

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Sat, 5. Nov 05, 18:05

Avis wrote:
esd wrote:http://www.maxgaming.net/~esd/fighter.zip - 1.5mb, inc textures, exc pilot and chair.

Preview.
cool, it's more involved than I need (ie cockpit & chair) but the design I'll half inch :-) and credit acordingly of course. I 'may' alter a few bits here and there but I'll run it by you once I get somwhere with it. and post previews for suggestions etc.
:)
It's a recon/light fighter, two man crew (or one crew, one passenger). It's been sat on my HD for months while I've tried to finish it - it's even got animated cockpit displays (the files for them are uncompressed AVI).

The Pilot is Sagan's creation, and isn't included because of that. Nor are the chairs, but I figured you wouldn't be using the cockpit transparency.

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Wed, 16. Nov 05, 20:07

Okay Avis, you've proven yourself too good. Pimp this:
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
[ external image ]
:P

It is a fighter. The central 'nose' holds the pilot in a standing position and the whole ship rotates around this point when turning (the side pods may need to be longer to make this look right). the colour scheme can be changed if you think it looks a big garish, or it might be a bespoke fighter for a particularly showy pilot.
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Wed, 16. Nov 05, 22:34

looking at your design, it simply doesn't fit with your 'back street boys larger than life video' description fighter ;-)

Of to Imperial Customs.. :-)

Caelistis
x3

Post by Caelistis » Wed, 16. Nov 05, 23:43

Damn you Avis! :)

I have absolutely zero talent in any visual media as my skills lie in the literary realm.

But now you have caused me to want to horridly attempt to render a ship I have been able to detail in words for a long, long time. That way, I can present my embarrassment and, if you find the kindness in your heart, hope you would re-render it in much greater quality.

Suggestions on a good, free/low cost modeling program I could cut my teeth on?

esd
x3tc

Post by esd » Wed, 16. Nov 05, 23:47

Suggestions on a good, free/low cost modeling program I could cut my teeth on?
Blender, GMax, or you could grab the demo of Cinema4D.

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Wed, 16. Nov 05, 23:49

give me somthing to work from and I'll get pimping :-)
ALL submissions no matter how crap are welcome infact the more crap the better,, ie leaves more room for improvement on my behalf ;-)

edit - also , if you can write a good solid description of your ship that 'may' be enough for me to work on, loose sketches dont hurt either even if they are just a collection of squares and circle-like shapes ;-)

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 01:09

How crap it is doesn't matter? I'll check my "old" achives(from this March to this Oct) I'm damn sure theres something of mine that deserves to be pimped...

If you want to do another capital ship I think I might have something that you can pimp.
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

therjw
x2

Post by therjw » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 13:26

here 1 for you avis I painstakenly made it pixel by pixel on paint ages ago then slaped in a background on it. I say it about M6/M2 size take your pick

[ external image ]

So Avis can you pimp my ride to the glory of 3D? :wink:

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 14:10

therjw wrote:here 1 for you avis I painstakenly made it pixel by pixel on paint ages ago then slaped in a background on it. I say it about M6/M2 size take your pick

So Avis can you pimp my ride to the glory of 3D? :wink:
consider it pimped :-)

Return to “Creative Universe”