Freezing not fixed after patch

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 18:14

One last time: there are likely to be a variety of causes and different people may be getting the same symptoms for different reasons. So far, the known causes for some people are:

- third party scripts with infinite loops in them
- some possible hardware issues
- audio codec problems
- one or two very specific game issues that have already been identified but probably don't apply to most people

There may be further, as yet unidentified, causes, and it is these that we need to examine further.

Yes, hardware details and DXDiag outputs may be useful. Finding an identical system to test on is likely to be impossible as there are too many variables, but the more data there is to work with the more likely it is that a common factor can be found.

Similarly with savegames. If savegames exhibit the problem randomly then the more of them we have, the more likely one of them is to show the problem on a test PC (assuming of course that the cause really is in the savegame and not elsewhere).

Icaobus
x3

Post by Icaobus » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 18:38

well FOR ME there are no third party scripts..have a clean X3..
and codec checker showed everything green.. so that's why i concluded it would be becouse of hardware or the game itself in my case and for alot of others whose problem isn't fixed by checking codec and shutting down scripts...

i said something combined of hardware and game cause it's hard to believe it would be simple by one of those things... as i said before if it's only because of the game the testers would have noticed and only hardware is also hard to believe cause there are people here with different comp setup...

i will post my hardware details and DXDiag outputs later today or tomorow...
i won't post savegame cause the freezes are completely random for me and i really doubt it's in the savedgame itself..

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 20:23

Icaobus wrote:i won't post savegame cause the freezes are completely random for me and i really doubt it's in the savedgame itself..
If they are random, chances are you have the same issue as I did. DID. Try switching off AntiAlias and the AF Anitromorphonic Filtering (or something...)

Switch OFF AA/AF !

It helps.

Really!

Icaobus
x3

Post by Icaobus » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 20:30

you got me hoping there...
but AA/AF is off...
quality at low

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 20:35

Uhm, well, there CAN be different causes...
:lol: Sorry!

Icaobus
x3

Post by Icaobus » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 20:37

np :)
everything is worth a try :P

jacare
x3ap

Post by jacare » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 22:49

Bri62 wrote:Same here ........never froze with 1.2 but now been playing a short while with the new patch and it froze with the sound in a short loop......Hmmm can i remove the patch or do i have to re-install the game ????
with 1.3 i can play 30 minutes or 1 hour and freeze , if i ´m fighting or flying, and the sound stay in a short loop. No scripts , drivers are the last , for sound and video.

:evil:

spitfire
x3tc

Post by spitfire » Tue, 10. Jan 06, 23:56

I was convinced that these freezes were being caused by the "balloon" theory, ie the more of the universe you opened up the harder the system had to work and eventually had a nervous breakdown. In v1.2.0.1 my freezes began after exploring south and east of light of heart , and others had noted the same thing.

Since installing the game on a different rig with NO anti-virus, NO firewall, NO spyware blockers, NO internet connection and nothing whatsoever running in the background I have found that 1.3 runs with no problems at all. Now been playing for a week solid without any of those blasted freezes (searches for some wood to touch!).

1.2.0.1 was a complete nightmare for me and eventually had to shelve the game 'cause I couldn't play for more than 5 mins without freeze and soundloop.

It's so nice to be able to play this great game without constant hassle, and I hope these don't prove to be "famous last words".

Malakie
x4

granted.. and you are correct

Post by Malakie » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 00:04

CBJ wrote:Malakie, how about reading a few of my posts in this thread before engaging in a long rant? I have stated several times that there are clearly several different causes. Do you really want us to waste time chasing freezes that are almost certainly caused by third party scripts rather than investigating potential "real" issues that are affecting people not running those scripts?

Let's be clear about this. I am not "tired of getting beat over the head about this". If there is a genuine issue to be solved then people have every right to beat us over the head, but getting to the core of those issues is key. Solutions will be delayed and everyone's time will be wasted if it is spent on wild goose chases.
I apologize for letting it get to me... But as you can tell my frustration level has hit a high. And believe me it is not often this happens to me. It is kind of like a woman.. right now mine is on the other side of the planet so between that and not being able to fill my now empty time with playing a game that can entertain me for hours and make me forget the fact she is not here....... :)

I am sure there are a number of issues you are diligently working on to get corrected. Believe it or not, I can handle playing a game even with bugs in it. It is when the problem does not allow one to even play the game that it becomes an issue for me. Last night I decided to try one more time. I clean installed again. Started a humble merchant career. Did not install any 3rd party scripts. Did start the script editor out of habit and to make a small script just to give me some credits to work with for this purpose of trying things. But nothing else.

Within 30 minutes I was locked tight. I was not doing anything. I had just told my craft to fly toward a station and it was slowly doing so. Suddenly everything just stopped - locked tight. No sounds or graphical anomaly occurred. No warning.. Was not touching any controls or clicking on anything.

Usually this occurs AFTER I place my first station and AFTER I dock and save the first time since placing a station. But once in a while this is the way it happens.

Anyhow, I will continue to wait and hope someone finds the problem...

Malakie

Malakie
x4

granted.. and you are correct

Post by Malakie » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 00:05

CBJ wrote:Malakie, how about reading a few of my posts in this thread before engaging in a long rant? I have stated several times that there are clearly several different causes. Do you really want us to waste time chasing freezes that are almost certainly caused by third party scripts rather than investigating potential "real" issues that are affecting people not running those scripts?

Let's be clear about this. I am not "tired of getting beat over the head about this". If there is a genuine issue to be solved then people have every right to beat us over the head, but getting to the core of those issues is key. Solutions will be delayed and everyone's time will be wasted if it is spent on wild goose chases.
I apologize for letting it get to me... But as you can tell my frustration level has hit a high. And believe me it is not often this happens to me. It is kind of like a woman.. right now mine is on the other side of the planet so between that and not being able to fill my now empty time with playing a game that can entertain me for hours and make me forget the fact she is not here....... :)

I am sure there are a number of issues you are diligently working on to get corrected. Believe it or not, I can handle playing a game even with bugs in it. It is when the problem does not allow one to even play the game that it becomes an issue for me. Last night I decided to try one more time. I clean installed again. Started a humble merchant career. Did not install any 3rd party scripts. Did start the script editor out of habit and to make a small script just to give me some credits to work with for this purpose of trying things. But nothing else.

Within 30 minutes I was locked tight. I was not doing anything. I had just told my craft to fly toward a station and it was slowly doing so. Suddenly everything just stopped - locked tight. No sounds or graphical anomaly occurred. No warning.. Was not touching any controls or clicking on anything.

Usually this occurs AFTER I place my first station and AFTER I dock and save the first time since placing a station. But once in a while this is the way it happens.

Anyhow, I will continue to wait and hope someone finds the problem...

Malakie

KarlHemmings
x4

Post by KarlHemmings » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 00:26

Greyhawk1 wrote:Shame, another old hand leaving the community too. Oh well nothing lasts forever eh. :(
Well I will still play x2 - just not x3. I am still getting a "problem" evey now and then. I get a blue suround to my game screen with a white x2 in the top left - the game freezes for a moment then continues. If this was to happen in x3 the game would lock up. What is taking the focus away I do not know. It is really bugging me. Never mind - I am having a great x2 session - just wish that a 1.5 patch came out to fix the bugs.

Weedy
x3

Post by Weedy » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 01:36

Yepp is random and really frustie.
Yesterday i play 16 hr without any Freez Today it's allready 6x.
So it must be random something in the game what's makes it.

A guess everytime the Khaak or Xenon or Pirate blowup a station (?)

Because X is so nice random try this example one of u corvettes is blowaway.
Reload the last save and what will u see no attack on that corvette (sometimes it will be the same (random)) Enemys pop up somewhere else and try to make some damage.

Same work also with msg in the bullitinboard. With a trick

That's why u never get the same freez when u load u gamesave again. It alwayz takes some time when it comes or u can play 4 hrs with no problems.
My freez are alwayz in systems around xenon systems.
Never had any freezing in the west of x alwayz in the east.

so random something in x at this point it could be anything

BaronDeKalb
x4

Post by BaronDeKalb » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 12:12

i had my first Repeat-able Freeze tonight when i resumed, (from last night's
freeze when i stopped)

First i tried changing nothing and set the same course,
result : Freeze at just about the same time from start of game...
This was done Twice in a row for a total of 3 times.

Next i started the same game, checked my 2 ut's and 1 sector bound ut
in training. they were all "en-route" so i ordered them all to dock at their
targets. I then proceded on the same path and time that i would freeze
on. result: No Freeze.... - I then docked at Terra-corp, and restarted the
traders and no problems the rest of the evening....

Now i do have some scripts running, so im just posting this as something
to try for those that get a "Repeatable Freeze".... As has been stated
before, there can me many causes, and many different solutions, this is
just something to try, should this happen to you also...

:)

speeduk
x3

Post by speeduk » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 12:41

Hi. I have been suffering sound loop freeze that happen at roughly the same point in ore belt . When I save the game - exit and reload it the freezing stopped but it still happens randomly with the sound looping and I need to restart the PC.

:evil:

Icaobus
x3

Post by Icaobus » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 12:59

so as i promised the DXDiag of my desktop and laptop..will print them later to start comparing them myself..
if i find some things that match eachother other people who still have problems of freezes can check if they have it too..
http://users.telenet.be/Shadowland/dxdiagdesktop.txt
http://users.telenet.be/Shadowland/dxdiaglaptop.txt

mbelcher25
x3

Post by mbelcher25 » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 20:02

Well, after getting rid of my ut's I played for a week before the freezes started back. Now they are back to about the same frequency as they were before I got rid of my ut's.

Nothings really changed...all I have done is go back into some sectors I had abandoned, killed off a bunch of Ka'ak and pirates, and re-deployed satellites that had been taken out....

I'm wondering now if frequency of freezes is somehow proportional to the number of satellites I have deployed, or the number of Ka'ak/pirates I kill off.

My gut tells me it's some kind graphic incompatibility, perhaps triggered by ka'ak or pirate ships re-spawning or jumping into the sector I'm in, but if that's whats happening I don't know how I could ever verify it.

Icaobus
x3

Post by Icaobus » Wed, 11. Jan 06, 20:38

mbelcher25 wrote:
I'm wondering now if frequency of freezes is somehow proportional to the number of satellites I have deployed, or the number of Ka'ak/pirates I kill off.

but if that's whats happening I don't know how I could ever verify it.
maybe by restarting a game, do alot of exploring, running when you see kha'ar/pirates/xenon and not placing sattelites...:lol:
would take alot of time though...and maybe eventually turn out to be good for nothing :roll:

yoshida
x3

Oh God Its Back!?!?!

Post by yoshida » Thu, 12. Jan 06, 05:11

Well, The FREEZE IS BACK!

Ran fine after,

1) Clean Install XP
2) Drivers (latest)
3) SP2
4) Optimized windows (no processes running, even unnecessary stock microsoft ones)
5) Codec Checker - "No Problems Found" and all green.
6) Scrapped UT, ST

BUT, it is BACK now!

It occured twice today. When I woke up this morning, freeze w/ sound loop. I figured it must be isolated. So, I restarted and when I reached a certain point, saved and put it on SETA. Came back later this evening, FREEZE w/ loop.

So far, this I have not been able to get a save close enough to examine. Hopefully I will and will be able to determine what it is. My new theory is that the normal ships servicing the stations are causing this issue as well (just not as often). I cannot be for certain but this is why:

While isolating the problem the first time around, I "overcorrected" in the process by eliminating a lot of ships I was using to service stations. Of course the FREEZE kept happening until I discovered the UT problem. I addressed the reduction in my fleet by making my factories self sufficient, or closed energy loops w/ product. Of course there were a few here and there that I left alone. The only thing that I did between the time in which it was operating normal and now was that I added some ships to a newly created plant. This is a stab in the dark, but whatever it is hopefully it will surface in some observable way.

Will keep you updated.
my wife is the answer to Gabriel's Horn. It's all coming together now.

SY5
x4

Freeze Freeze Fre... Fre... Fre... Fre... Fre... Fre...

Post by SY5 » Thu, 12. Jan 06, 12:39

- I still get the freeze no matter what with no UT on active duty,
- I am playing Quickstart and I am not currently on a plot mission.
- I am not running any 3rd party scripts whatsoever.

It just happens randomly after 1hr or more of playing.... this bug exists, it's REAL.
I am willing to bring my system over to your office but I doubt you guys need that :wink:.

I still think EGOSOFT rocks cause the game it's cool I wish I could play it.

These are my system specs:

http://sy5tem.com/tmp/systeminfo/SI.xml (Best rendered on IE)

This is what Madboris tool shows

[ external image ]

I am puzzled about the fact that it shows the Fraunhofer L3Codec that ships with WMP10 as red; thanks for the tool MadBoris much appreciated.

and lastly this is the performance of my rig

--------------------------
X3 - Reunion
--------------------------
Game version: 1.3.0.US

Graphic card name and driver used: NVIDIA GeForce 7800 GTX Version [6.14.10.8198]

CPU name: AMD Athlon(tm) 64 Processor 3700+ Family 7 Model 7

Video settings during benchmark:
Screen resolution: 1280 x 960 * [32]
using shader profile: 3.0
Antialias Mode: NONE
Anisotropic Mode: 8x

Graphic & Shader settings
Texture quality: high
Shader quality: high
High quality bumpmaps: enabled
Environment map: enabled
Postprocessing: enabled
using 16bit vertex format: yes

Framerates
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Scene 00 64.0 average fps 54.0 minimum fps 96.0 maximum fps
Scene 01 37.1 average fps 17.0 minimum fps 75.0 maximum fps
Scene 02 67.1 average fps 52.0 minimum fps 101.0 maximum fps
Scene 03 75.7 average fps 47.0 minimum fps 153.0 maximum fps

Overall average framerate: 61.0 fps

PLease (c)2005 EGOSOFT fix this game
Last edited by SY5 on Fri, 13. Jan 06, 00:39, edited 3 times in total.

espuk-x3
x3

Post by espuk-x3 » Thu, 12. Jan 06, 15:45

My two pence.

I remember the day X3 was released, I remember going down to the shop and parting with my hard earned thirty-five quid.

I remember taking it home and playing for the first hour, pure bliss. I explored the universe a bit finding cargo to sell so I could buy myself a nice new mining vessel and start empire building. So I bought a new mining ship only to discover DOHH there was no mobile mining, oh well so I started out again, and explored 99% of the universe, I even did a couple of the plot related missions. Built a couple of stations and I was flying, then the trouble started. After applying Patch 1.2 I started to get random freezes. I had none of the CTD`s that other people have been plagued with. My freeze would be completely random and the “save and reload” trick only delayed the inevitable free for a minute or two.

Now as Christmas was approaching, and other people in the forum were coming up with the same problem. I thought id just give up on it and wait for Egosoft to release the next patch.

Patch 1.21 didn’t help, really frustrating. So being the drastic “I NEED X3” person that I am I trashed my system (windows 2000) and reinstalled 2000 and all the updates, drivers, patches the lot. Fresh out of the box system. Reinstalled X3 Patched it up and recovered my save game file. After 2 days of reinstalling windows, putting different windows on my machine and general geeking around I gave up. I have tried X3 now on Windows2000, WinXP, WinXp64.

1.3 Patch didn’t solve my problem of freezing as well.

I have no UT, or ST, running, I have 2 silicon mines, 5 cargo ships, 1 nova, and a discoverer, I also have no scripts running, nor have ever ran a script. My game time is 8-13.

So what can I do, well I guess I have to put X3 in the cupboard until this problem is fixed. If at all ever. Its been a good three weeks now since I have properly played this game

Shame really because I really love the X Series of games. All I can say is that if I bought a car and it kept breaking down after every 100 mile trip that would be unacceptable. But hey who said life is fair.

My Important Specs

AMD64 3500 (939 socket Gigabyte motherboard)
NVIDIA 6800GT 256mb
1gig DDR RAM

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”