Tooltip Problem

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

alkasteveh
x3

Tooltip Problem

Post by alkasteveh » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 13:44

Not sure if anyone else has this problem, but since the tooltips were added in the patch, I'm getting a bit of a screen corruption because of them. It normally happens I load a game, but parts of the tooltip for the icons along the bottom of the screen don't disappear properly. Instead it either leaves a bit of the tooltip or a long black bar. I had this with my old save from the original game, so I restarted it to see if t was the cause but again I'm starting to get this. Eventually, the bits of tooltips and black bits do end up taking up a bit of space which makes seeing the buttons behind it a lot more tricky.

Is anything getting this (I've got a Geforce 6600, tried using both the 78.05 and 81.85 drivers), and is there a way to turn off the tooltips (I don't really use them anyway) which could stop this happening.

mattstint
x4

Post by mattstint » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 14:18

Yeah I'm having this problem. I have a Dual GPU Geforce 6600 GT and Forceware 78.01. The only way I can get rid of it is to change the resolution and then resume my game. Pain in the butt having to quit out again everytime I want to play tho.

alkasteveh
x3

Post by alkasteveh » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 14:20

Actually, after a bit of testing I've narrowed it down to the 1280x1024 resolution i'm using, any other resolution doesn't have this problem. Unfortunately since I've got a TFT screen, using other resolutions means the text isn't too readable (which would be the easier solution).

Still wouldn't mind being able to turn them off.

mattstint
x4

Post by mattstint » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 14:23

Ah! Yes I was using 1208x1024 before i dropped the res because performance wasnt too great around stations. But I agree it would be nice to turn em off entirely, now that I've learned the interface!

softweir
xr

Post by softweir » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 14:33

Settings / Gameplay / Tooltips (I think) left-arrow to "none" and hit Enter. Return to desktop. That ought to do it.
My new fave game (while waiting for Rebirth) - Kerbal Space Program

alkasteveh
x3

Post by alkasteveh » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 15:04

There's an options for "Show Tips" but that's just for some tips during the game you get in the middle of the screen. Nothing for tooltips.

I was going to say I was going to be happy running at 1024x768 (text wasn't too bad to read), but I saved and loaded the game back up and again it's back again. And going back to 1280x1024 has now left me with the usual bar on the bottom, and now an extra black bar in the middle of the screen (obviously where the bar was in the 1024x768 resolution) - which is even worse, bah :cry:

alkasteveh
x3

Post by alkasteveh » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 16:00

Ah well, i'll just have to wait and hope the next patch fixes the problem (just have to put up with it for now)

dannyboy1121
x3

Post by dannyboy1121 » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 17:13

I had similar issues after applying 1.2 plus loss of text in some areas. It was resolved as follows:

Download patch.

Extract patch to a temporary directory (but make note of default directory)

Once the patch has extracted .. copy the patch files and paste them in to the default directory.

Boot up the game again and .. if I'm right .. your problem will be fixed.

For some reason, the patch isn't applying correctly by default - copy and paste fixes this.

Please let me know if this works for you. It did for me.

alkasteveh
x3

Post by alkasteveh » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 18:11

I can but give it a try, I'll see how it goes

alkasteveh
x3

Post by alkasteveh » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 18:35

Excellent, that seems to solve the problem. Though the only problem is that the problem in any old save games still stays there but if you start a brand new game you don't get the problem (it's quite easy to reproduce, just save at a station, quit and load the game and it appears).

Luckily I hadn't get too far so I'm not too upset with starting again, I just want rid of that black bar.

Cheers for that anyway :D

alkasteveh
x3

Post by alkasteveh » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 23:16

After a few saves, I've got the problem again - so while reinstalling the patch by hand helped the problem eventually appears.

Nevermind, at least this time I know not to run in a lower resolution so the bar stays at the bottom of the screen.

mark_t50
xr

Corrupt text at bottom of the screen ?

Post by mark_t50 » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 23:25

Either I've done something wrong or it's a bug but I've got a line of text from the options that appear at the bottom of the screen that I just can't get rid of.

If I load my save game I get a screen like this:

http://www.sparkyweb.com/x3_pic1.jpg

This has the menus on the bottom which if I move my mouse over give a text description. The problem is that once I undock the text stays on screen with a big black border which is annoying like this:

http://www.sparkyweb.com/x3_pic2.jpg

If I start a new game it doesn't do it, but when I load a saved game it happens :( I'm ver 1.2 by the way.

alkasteveh
x3

Post by alkasteveh » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 23:39

Yay, that's exactly my problem (but thankfully in easy to understand pictures) - it's a bit annoying as the black bar gets a bit bigger so it covers more of the buttons at the bottom of the screen.

It just seems strange more people haven't seen the problem yet.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 29. Oct 05, 23:44

Is anyone able to say what they were doing immediately before this happened? For example, did you save while a tooltip was on the screen, resulting in the loaded savegame having it permanently there? Or did you open a menu while a tooltip for a context icon was showing?

alkasteveh
x3

Post by alkasteveh » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 00:05

CBJ wrote:Is anyone able to say what they were doing immediately before this happened? For example, did you save while a tooltip was on the screen, resulting in the loaded savegame having it permanently there? Or did you open a menu while a tooltip for a context icon was showing?
Most definately was showing a tooltip while I was saving (it shows while you click on the save button) - but any auto-saves (previous to manually saving anyway) are fine.

mark_t50
xr

Post by mark_t50 » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 00:12

CBJ wrote:Is anyone able to say what they were doing immediately before this happened? For example, did you save while a tooltip was on the screen, resulting in the loaded savegame having it permanently there? Or did you open a menu while a tooltip for a context icon was showing?
Just reproduced the problem by docking at a station, saving the game first by using the joystick hat to navigate to the save option as it gives no tooltips and saved. This save works fine when loaded again.

I then saved a second time using the mouse and when I clicked on save the tooltip was on screen. If I now load this save game I get the corrupt text and black box no matter what.

At least I know not to save with a tooltip on now :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 00:16

Thanks, I suspected that might be what was happening. Well at least people have a workaround for now.

alkasteveh
x3

Post by alkasteveh » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 00:24

Aye, I can live with that for now - was more annoying not knowing what caused it so I could avoid the problem :)

mattstint
x4

Post by mattstint » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 00:48

Well I'm buggered as I don't own a joystick! The black bar is back again but its only at the bottom of the screen and I can still see the menu so I can live with it for now.

mark_t50
xr

Post by mark_t50 » Sun, 30. Oct 05, 01:07

mattstint wrote:Well I'm buggered as I don't own a joystick! The black bar is back again but its only at the bottom of the screen and I can still see the menu so I can live with it for now.
You can just use the arrow keys and return to select the options on the bottom to save, this works as it does not display the tool tips, just make sure the mouse pointer is not on any of the options with a tooltip visable when saving.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”