[SCRIPT] Sector Takeover v2.4.3 [Updated 20-Apr-2007]

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

How do you rate this script?

Excellent
67%
Good
25%
Average
4%
Poor
1%
Abysmal
3%

Total votes: 360

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Thu, 15. Jun 06, 17:17

And good thoughts they are russbo.

The beauty of the taxing system though is that if you don't want it, you don't have to have it. To disable it go to the in-game options, choose 'Gameplay' then go down to the bottom where it says 'AL Settings' and in there is something like "Sector Takeover Tax", set that to 'No' hit ENTER and the tax system will not affect your game.

Anyway the GOD engine SHOULD repopulate your sectors with stations (maybe it doesn't but it should, and if GOD won't do it, I will), and hopefully soon you will be able to capture stations, therefore meaning that the tax system could turn out to be quite profitable - if you play the system tactically.

I don't see you putting all your stations in your own sectors as ruining the economy, think of it more like wiping out some competition, then replacing that competition with your stations and reaping all the profits.

On a personal level I agree with you, I don't want my stations taxed, but I do want to tax the AI for my benefit, but thats because I like an easy game, some people don't like an easy game, and in the end I see it as more fair to tax both, so I relented.

Don't worry Russbo, I swear I will be doing something to ensure player owned sectors aren't barren soon. Just the claiming problem to fix first, and the respawning of enemy shipyards in player controlled sectors, and the...... :cry:

---EDIT---
In fact I've had some thoughts about how I could 'artificially' populate player sectors with factories, shouldn't take too long either.... maybe I'll have a look at that soon.
Nirwin
------
Sector Takeover | Unlimited Resources (x2/x3)

russbo
x4

Post by russbo » Thu, 15. Jun 06, 18:01

(maybe it doesn't but it should, and if GOD won't do it, I will),
Nirwin, I'm glad you're on our side. .

I got tears in my eyes, LOL....

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Mon, 19. Jun 06, 10:30

Just to keep everyone up to date, DE thinks he has found the cause of the sector claiming problem, so I will be taking a look at it tonight to see what can be done, RL managed to swallow my entire weekend (again) but I will be working on it during the evenings this week.

Though DE and I have not properly talked about this yet, nor have we got permission to use it from the appropriate people, but we are looking into getting player owned shipyards in with this script, because without such a commodity available taking over more space leaves you with very little options for buying ships.

DE is now also looking at the command to toggle raiding parties which has gone missing.

Anyway there should be another update coming soon (ish).
Nirwin
------

RustyBayonet
x3tc

Post by RustyBayonet » Wed, 21. Jun 06, 01:58

Does this work on the 'Unknown' Sectors?, there's an Unknown sector South of Mists of Elysium I'd like to populate.

al_main
x3

Post by al_main » Wed, 21. Jun 06, 02:26

Yeah, presumably unknown sectors should be tax free as no ship protection is offered and there is no race government in charge of the sector?

(also cant really see Xenon and Khaak sending a tax collector round)

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Wed, 21. Jun 06, 11:27

al_main wrote:Yeah, presumably unknown sectors should be tax free as no ship protection is offered and there is no race government in charge of the sector?

(also cant really see Xenon and Khaak sending a tax collector round)
Curses, you have a VERY good point, I always just assumed that Unknown sectors were ok, but thinking about it, there are some confitions in the script that could render unknown sectors unclaimable, I will look into it later today.

And indeed you are right, pirates, khaak, Xenon and unknown sectors should not claim station tax, I shall fix that very soon.
Nirwin
------

andysonofbob
x3

Post by andysonofbob » Wed, 21. Jun 06, 12:56

I would say pirates would definately want a bit of protection money...

al_main
x3

Post by al_main » Wed, 21. Jun 06, 17:35

Depends if you consider pirate sectors to be:
- owned and "ran" by a pirate clan / warlord
OR
- sectors of just general anarchy where pirates may be found

The yaki would indicate organised pirate clans, etc and hence the first option.

Though the lack of stations and even pirate bases in alot of pirate sectors would indicate the second.

Its pretty much open to interpretation.

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Wed, 21. Jun 06, 21:22

I'm making the changes right now, I just don't know what to do about the pirates, I kinda think I'll leave them charging for now. Maybe I should up the 'tax/protection' rate in their sectors
Nirwin
------

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Wed, 21. Jun 06, 22:34

Ok I've just posted version 2.2, it contains a fix for claiming Unknown sectors and player stations in Kha'ak Xenon and Unknown sectors no longer get charged a tax.

This mod now also contains a French translation, credit for which goes to Serial Kicked (cheers for that).
Nirwin
------

Dread
x3tc

Post by Dread » Wed, 21. Jun 06, 22:54

When a new version becomes available do you have uninstall and reinstall updated version if using the SPK for Cycrows program -Or- are you ok to just use the autoupdate (provided you have set it up so it shows in the update list) function to update it?

Also do NPC's also take new sectors and then experience the raiding parties from the race that lost the sector. Like Will a Boron fleet take over a split sector and claim it as Boron and then have Split raiding parties trying to reclaim in time to come.
If not have you got plans for this, or is it not possible?

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Wed, 21. Jun 06, 23:03

2 very good questions there Dread,

I think the first one needs to be directed at Cycrow, but I imagine the autouppdate will work for this script, other than that, you shouldn't have to do anything else.

On the issue of other races claiming sectors, they currently do not do that but it certainly is on DesertEagle and my's to-do list. The only question is when will we get round to it. I think DE is working on Capturing stations, and I'm working on stopping destroyed shipyards etc respawning in player controlled sectors. And I think the next thing to be done is repopulating player controlled sectors with stations.
Nirwin
------

Dread
x3tc

Post by Dread » Thu, 22. Jun 06, 00:32

Thanks Nirwin. I have a very analytical mind and always look deep into things (perfect exampe if you dont mind me blowing my own trumpet is Serial Kicked's new topic on Pirate Guild and my first thoughts...I think too much for my own good heheh)

1) I guess it will be fine but will check with Cycrow on that one and get back to you.

2) Fantastic - Great minds think alike eh

Archangel_Brian
x3

Post by Archangel_Brian » Fri, 23. Jun 06, 01:39

GREAT MOD!!! I've followed this since it began and I really like the way it is going.

I was thinking though, about the Tax in the pirate sectors...

How about giving the player the option to pay or not to pay? If they choose not to, then their station gets attacked on a regular basis until destroyed.

Seems to be in line with the whole "protection payoff" theme.

EDIT: Oh, and in order to give the player the option, you could send a message to the player containing both options when he first builds the station in pirate space.

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Fri, 23. Jun 06, 09:32

I really like the concept, I'm sure we will do something with that, send a pirate force against the station to show you what for, sounds great, thanks for the idea.
Nirwin
------

andysonofbob
x3

Post by andysonofbob » Fri, 23. Jun 06, 11:35

Archangel_Brian wrote:How about giving the player the option to pay or not to pay? If they choose not to, then their station gets attacked on a regular basis until destroyed.

Seems to be in line with the whole "protection payoff" theme.
Hehe - nice

Alzara
x3

Renaming

Post by Alzara » Tue, 27. Jun 06, 19:57

OK I know I suggested the idea of changing sector names and descriptions before, but I just wanted to bring the topic up again briefly.
I can see the potential problems associated with changing sector names (such as the computer not being able to tell you where a gate goes), but giving the player the option to change the sector description should have no problems of this nature.

DE had a great idea about propaganda and the like. Even though changing the sector description has no real effect on the game, I'd feel very satisfied if I had to work to change it, and could describe my empire in my own terms. :)

Do any of you agree it would be a good idea?

Al

nirwin
x3tc

Re: Renaming

Post by nirwin » Wed, 28. Jun 06, 10:02

Alzara wrote: DE had a great idea about propaganda and the like. Even though changing the sector description has no real effect on the game, I'd feel very satisfied if I had to work to change it, and could describe my empire in my own terms. :)

Do any of you agree it would be a good idea?

Al
Hmmm, it's a nice idea, I think altering the description is much better than altering the name, and I guess if the command is nicely tucked away and not thrust at the player it would be ok.

The only problem is, I am not sure if this is even technically possible. I don't think one can do too much with sectors from scripting (but I haven't looked too hard).

DE what are your thoughts? I may look into whether this is possible (when I get a chance) just so we aren't wasting our time discussing something that can't be done.

My thoughts are now a bit more like, if we can provide the player with this functionality then we probably should, but make it a command the player has to initiate themselves from a menu, so that it is a choice as to whether you use it or not.
Nirwin
------

al_main
x3

Post by al_main » Wed, 28. Jun 06, 14:13

Unfortunately theres not alot that can be done with sector names / descriptions.

They can be changed, but only to another description pre-determined and written in a text file. The way to do it is to have ONLY your sector name / description in that text file and then load that text file ONLY if you want that description to be used. As you can only have one sector and description per text file you are going to start to use up alot of text files pretty fast to make any kind of useful system!

(ie 156 text files if you want to be able to change every system name, 156x6=936 if you want the system names to be able to react to the system being taken over by one of the 5 races or the player!!!)

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 28. Jun 06, 14:40

the only real way to do it would be to use an external program that runs in the background while you play.

you have something to allow players to enter the names and descriptions and the script writes it to a log file.

the program periodically reads the log files and creates a new text file which then gets loaded into game.

it doesn't even need to be instant

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”