multiplayer mod?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

nailz45
x3

multiplayer mod?

Post by nailz45 » Tue, 10. Oct 06, 18:52

What do you think about a multiplayer mod? Is there one ot there? or is it even possible to make a mod or script for a multiplayer X3 universe? i am talking about a LAN multiplayer mode.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 10. Oct 06, 19:25

a full multiplayer mod is not possible to create

THE_BIG_FISH:Leo
x4

Post by THE_BIG_FISH:Leo » Tue, 10. Oct 06, 20:45

it might be a good idea to have a sticky saying what is not possable i am getting tierd of seeing these posts every day :S

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 10. Oct 06, 20:46

You could do multiplayer. invite some mates over and take turns on the keyboard. :P

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Tue, 10. Oct 06, 20:48

or plugin multiple keyboards into the same pc.

might be ful when ur all controlling the same ship :P

fud
x3

Post by fud » Tue, 10. Oct 06, 21:00

Boxing gloves and beer would be required as well in that case.

TriMagestis
x2

Post by TriMagestis » Wed, 11. Oct 06, 02:30

It might be possible for some one to write a script that would export sector data to say a SQL database with the same name (on its own server) that another script in another game might import to sync the sectors (only the sector that the player is in) - but dog fighting would be near impossible and the time taken to write the script probably isn't worth the effort. :)
Because I Can

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Wed, 11. Oct 06, 03:20

there are other reason y dogfighting will be impossible as well.

but a basic sync of the stations in the universe could work, but nothing much beyond that.

also, i wouldn't use an SQL datebase for something like.
instead you create a seperate client and server software.

the client would be responsable for geting the data in and out of X on the local machine via scripts, log files and text files, then update the central server, the server then pushes all the updated data to all the other clients connected.

but i dont really c the point of something putting in all the time to create it with very little gain.

as most ppl who want multi player want it to be able to dog fight other players, which would be impossible

sq23
x3

Post by sq23 » Wed, 11. Oct 06, 04:37

just say for arguments sake, someone used a different universe for the
multiplayer aspect. say one of the tutorials' universe....

but you'd need to remove the other ships most likley,
as it'd be a biatch to reprogam the ai, to deal with two 'players'

consider however, they also said multi theft auto would never
work either... look at it now...
like a fish in a barrel is me,
however shoot me and i'll get blood on your shoes!

Matt Armada
x4

Post by Matt Armada » Thu, 12. Oct 06, 01:17

sq23 wrote:just say for arguments sake, someone used a different universe for the
multiplayer aspect. say one of the tutorials' universe....

but you'd need to remove the other ships most likley,
as it'd be a biatch to reprogam the ai, to deal with two 'players'

consider however, they also said multi theft auto would never
work either... look at it now...
Multi Theft Auto however, works on a different concept then X3. That, it just loads the map, and the cars and people..even then, the people are alggy as hell..the cars are fine...

X3, not so simple, since the entire UNIVERSE can change...iiit would bea bit more complicated im guessing *im no programer...* If not impossible. Maybe if Egosoft pitched in, but otherwize i dont see a very good functioning MP mod ANYTIME in the near future...

If ego DID so something though...well, thats a different story...thats egosoft, not us peons :P

voxol
x3

Post by voxol » Thu, 12. Oct 06, 03:14

On this subject, the very first bit of scripting I ever did was just making modifications to existing ones, as I'm sure how every scripter starts out...

The biggest modification project I undertook was with nuclear_eclipses Remote Property Management (http://forum2.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?t=104941), that allows you to monitor your X3 game remotely using a web interface.

The problem was it would only give you info, you could barely command anything. So I modified the PHP webpage files and the scripts so you could do just that... order ships about (to a limited degree), especially with regard to trading.

The last thing I added before I abandoned and started working on my own scripts was the ability to everride the commands of the AI ships... so in theory someone using the web interface could order AI ships to attack your own assets, which I thought would be quite cool.

I then read several posts about how its naughty to go modifying peoples scripts so never mentioned it before now... And besides, supposedly there is an update on the way anyway.

Point is, IMO, that kind of idea is the closest thing you will ever be able to get to true X3 multiplayer, and even that is seriously limited and would not allow many many players, only a couple, and there could only ever be 1 'player', though multiple people could control the player ships..

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Thu, 12. Oct 06, 03:33

voxol wrote:I then read several posts about how its naughty to go modifying peoples scripts so never mentioned it before now...
well, its not really a problem to alter other ppls scripts.
althou what you shoudln't do is release it to thep ublic without first asking permission from the origina author.
and at least giving credit to them when you release it.

comores
x3ap

Dedicated server?

Post by comores » Tue, 19. Nov 13, 15:58

I know you all are tired of this multi player` story, but i haven't seen this question yet, but like freelancer, is a lan dedicated server impossible too?

P.S. Please don't shoot/kill me for this question.

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”