[REQUEST] Real Goner Insurance

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X³: Reunion.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

arcana75
x3tc

[REQUEST] Real Goner Insurance

Post by arcana75 » Sat, 9. Dec 06, 03:58

Back in the day, this really old game called Autoduel had the idea of saves via cloning technology, so that when u died u reactivated a clone.

Could the same idea be scripted? If the player dies, he teleports to the nearest station as an astronaut, if he has Goner Insurance.

Sesk
x4

Post by Sesk » Sat, 9. Dec 06, 04:06

Wouldn't that be even worst than the current "insurance" (more like a temporal bookmark :P ) ? Finding yourself stranded ship-less on/near some station with hostiles nearby ?

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sat, 9. Dec 06, 07:05

it cant be scripted, as scripts can make the player teleport anywhere or make them change ship. Plus theres no way to prevent the game over when the players ship is destroyed

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Sat, 9. Dec 06, 15:16

Actually I'd rather lose a multi-million dollar ship than hours of gameplay. Too bad it can't be done...

fud
x3

Post by fud » Sat, 9. Dec 06, 16:19

Guess I don't see the issue. If you save regularly, it shouldn't be a problem. You do something less than brilliant and die, you load a save. :?

If you're flying hours on end without saving, and do something foolish and die, then it should be a lesson to you. :)

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Sun, 10. Dec 06, 03:47

fud wrote:Guess I don't see the issue. If you save regularly, it shouldn't be a problem. You do something less than brilliant and die, you load a save. :?

If you're flying hours on end without saving, and do something foolish and die, then it should be a lesson to you. :)
I'm not sure I even need to rationalise my desires to u :D

AdmiralTigerclaw
x4

Post by AdmiralTigerclaw » Sun, 10. Dec 06, 04:31

I think it's a nifty idea, but sadly, it is doable, but unrelyable. You can make it so you get ejected and teleported to a station at like, 1% health... but some deaths are just too quick for a script to intercept.

The idea I think he's after, is that you get killed, but come back and live with the consequences of the actions that lead up to that. Loss of the fighter and such. Perhaps loss of combat rank and more. If you get killed, there are some nasty consiquences, such as the loss of your most personalized ship...

Oh... I hate Dr. Seuss narration... Jim Carrey's "How the Grinch Stole Christmas" is on in the other room and I almost started trying to rhyme...

Anywho... (pun not intended...) Don't frag him too much.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Sun, 10. Dec 06, 05:18

AdmiralTigerclaw wrote: If you get killed, there are some nasty consiquences,

I'd say dying is one hell of a consequence. :P

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Sun, 10. Dec 06, 05:48

But then u restart on a clean slate. No more lost ships or wealth or rank. Both good and bad points. A long battle with lots of caps only to crash into a passing M3, both blowing up. Sure u could save every 5 mins and reload up to the point where u crashed thus having a big piece of the pie, ie some ships capped are now uncapped, but you save losing that M3 and your ship, OR carrying on with the choice of losing 2 ships but salvaging on the caps.

Save and reload has been around for decades and is an immature game design. Yes it's used everywhere but it still doesn't make it mature.

MMOs force u to live with ur actions, but more due to technical issues than game design since it's tricky to build in save features into a persistent world.

Back in the early 80s, Autoduel forced u to live with ur consequences, where you bought clones to "save". When u died, the "save" kicks in and u respawn in a clone sans car. The more expensive clones gave you "up to date data", while cheaper clones offered much less.

Why bother thinking about what you should be doing when ur actions can be erased by a mere reload?
"Ooo Khaak M2, should I attack? Better save first."
Shouldn't it be more like "ok I got my tentacles handed to me"? Instead it's reload and try again.

"I wanna cap that Goner ship. Save, argh it blew up, nevermind reload, repeat."
Shouldn't it be that you took the rep loss like a Split and found another Goner ship to try on?

The X Universe revolves around credits and the whole idea of making them. Goner Insurance is supposed to insure the people of the X Universe. If you read the BBS news, it suggests a form of insurance similar to Autoduel's, but nowhere does it say "warps space and time to reset your status". U'd have to sign huge indemnity forms to cover the rest of the X Universe for "lost income"!!! :)

Not necessarily forcing, but having the ability (or choice) to get the player to think then act, and thus live with the consequences, is a very mature game design. Alas it can't be explored in the scope of X3.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Sun, 10. Dec 06, 14:31

So, start a new game when you die. Seems a bit extreme. X3 isn't an MMO, so the comparison doesn't really fit.

arcana75
x3tc

Post by arcana75 » Sun, 10. Dec 06, 14:41

When u die in an MMO or in Autoduel, u don't start afresh. U respawn.

In Autoduel's case u respawned based on when u bought ur clone and the type of clone you bought.

In an MMO like World of Warcraft, you spawned in the nearest town with some lost experience which can be claimed if u can find your body.

When u die in a game like Battlefield 2, u respawn, but u lived with ur actions, aka death stats.

fud, I'm not sure why you're so persistent to throw cold water on this idea. It's not like I'm asking you to do it or making you pay money for this. Ok the fact is it's undoable in X3. But it's a tad childish for you to behave like this. It'll help you to be abit more open-minded to other people's ideas, here, the internet or in the real world...

If this thread or idea bothers you that much, feel free not to click on it or even report it to the mods to close it.

fud
x3

Post by fud » Sun, 10. Dec 06, 16:46

It doesn't bother me at all. :)

Martin Logan
x3

There is another script

Post by Martin Logan » Sun, 10. Dec 06, 17:24

The is a script either for x2 or x3 that teleports your ship to the nearest gate a soon as your shields or hull gets near a certain percentage maybe you wanna look that up.

Cycrow
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by Cycrow » Sun, 10. Dec 06, 19:31

that sounds abit more of a cheat thou, simply moving the ship out of harms way, so you never actually blow up.

an excape pod type thing like in Elite would have been the best to use

Return to “X³: Reunion - Scripts and Modding”