2 year old girl admitted to mensa....

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

mbthegreat
x3tc

Post by mbthegreat » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 02:54

IQ tests are adjusted for age are they not?

Syndrome
x3tc

Post by Syndrome » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 05:59

esd wrote:I refused to join, despite being eligable. Didn't see any benefit in it at the time. (165 when tested)
Who would :?:

For one, people who are supergeniuses (I'm not one, I can't even spell :) ) usually are very lacking in other 'social' areas. The only way it can be worked on is to focus on learning more about how to live a 'normal' life and less on working out '78/3x(82/4x16)-14 to the power of seven' in under one second.

Also, a little kid having such a high IQ can only be bad for his/her life as he/she grows up. Getting bagged for being things like a 'nerd', 'walking dictionary' etc will only make the child depressed.
muppetts wrote:Now watch the kids life get ruined cos mommy and daddy don't see a child anymore they see a GENIUS! So they push harder etc......
I absolutely agree. We can only hope...

Bunny
x3ap

Post by Bunny » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 11:08

mbthegreat wrote:IQ tests are adjusted for age are they not?
They are adjusted for age.

viptir
x2

Post by viptir » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 17:56

Syndrome wrote:
muppetts wrote:Now watch the kids life get ruined cos mommy and daddy don't see a child anymore they see a GENIUS! So they push harder etc......
I absolutely agree. We can only hope...
Worse yet, other parents reading this that try to force it on their kids.
Whoo, this reminds me of the Tiger Woods phenom. Playing "beer golf" with a few chums and this prick of a guy on the next hole is literally hollering at his 7 yr old son. The kid is going to enjoy the game how?!
Breaking games to help ward off corporate greed-induced folly.

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 18:27

Since "Mensa" is the german name for the university cafeteria, I have rather strange mental connections everytime I hear about the mensa organization (mostly in the Simpsons though, isn't Lisa a member?)

*shudder* ... now I have flashbacks to cafeteria food ... must ... resist ... Gruenkernbratling ...

Some Strange Man
x3

Post by Some Strange Man » Sat, 23. Jun 07, 20:01

Being able to relate "IQ" into real qualifications is entirely misleading.

All things being equal except for IQ, maybe its true, but someone with an IQ of 100 can get a First-class honours, or even Ph.D if they work hard enough.

Bunny
x3ap

Post by Bunny » Sun, 24. Jun 07, 00:21

The secret to getting a Ph.D. - being too daft to quit :wink:

Persistance is what makes the difference.

Mailo
x3

Post by Mailo » Sun, 24. Jun 07, 00:31

Bunny wrote:The secret to getting a Ph.D. - being too daft to quit :wink:

Persistance is what makes the difference.
Damn, that takes the cake ... *exactly* what I'm feeling right now ... official time needed for a Ph.D in physics is three years, I'll be finishing in October right before the six-year-mark.
The experiment I worked on was shut down rather prematurely, leaving me without the needed data to do a good analysis, and my professor insisted on a pretty impossible one on top of that.
Of course I end up with no result ... I was supposed to check a value which one theory said was zero, and another slightly different (0.01 or something). My final result is 0.6 +/- 0.8 ... meaning it could be anything from 3 to -2.

Sorry for the offtopic rant :oops:

And one ontopic comment ... I thought IQ measurements were outdated years ago? Human intelligence has so many different aspects, reducing it to a single number is rather meaningless. Is a mathematical genius who can't spell more or less intelligent than a well-rounded average guy?

Pirate hater
x2

Post by Pirate hater » Sun, 24. Jun 07, 02:33

Titanx3 wrote:

THIS. I feel sorry for her tbh..
Well taking a mensa test at 2 screams pushy parents......... Even if she had not gotten in I can still see them screwing up her life by pushing hard all the time.

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Sun, 24. Jun 07, 09:00

Here ,have some fun,
workout the cob-webs

Electric_Kola
x3tc

Post by Electric_Kola » Sun, 24. Jun 07, 12:38

Tracker001 wrote:Here ,have some fun,
workout the cob-webs
My definition of maths is not "Fun"

:lol:

I believe my IQ is 126 so its not I've got much to worry about....but I just dont see the point, is there one?

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Sun, 24. Jun 07, 13:21

IQ = (mental age/ physical age) x100

so with 139-145 IQ odd that i have at 21 (varys with the test), that makes me ~31 in mental age (that makes me feel dead old).

So technicaly, the 2yr old is only 3 yrs old mentaly. Impressive, but not impossible.
want the FACTS about X2/X3?
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

Pirate hater
x2

Post by Pirate hater » Mon, 25. Jun 07, 01:16

I was tested during the beginning of high school by a learning psychologist who did an IQ test and I got back I was highly intelligent but IQ would not be accurate as it was something to do with age.

Still feel sorry for the kid...

Arcus

Post by Arcus » Mon, 25. Jun 07, 02:13

RMK wrote:
Tracker001 wrote:Here ,have some fun,
workout the cob-webs
My definition of maths is not "Fun"

:lol:

I believe my IQ is 126 so its not I've got much to worry about....but I just dont see the point, is there one?
Math, in fact, is fun. Just not the dull solving of problems, like the ones in the linked test. Intelligence should not be associated with standard problems. The reason math seems unfun is the way it is taught. I'm sure hardly anyone who has a sense for adventure could not be exited by math if introduced to it the right way.

And about geniuses. As it was said, persistence is an important factor, as is the ability to find connections. Or maybe creativity. A person who sees ways to solve problems in different and interesting ways has potential to be geniuslike. As it is hard to define what genius exactly means, the qualities can vary. It could be a person who is extremely good at what e is doing. Although i doubt someone extraordinarily talented at washing windows would be called a genius, someone writing music could be. Overall, it is very subjective. It's more something that other people say about a person than what a person identifies emself as.

While there is no doubt IQ correlates with something that has to do with the overall quality of being a capable problem solver, it is no real indicator of any particular talent the person could have. The thing that makes others look at one like a genius is the apparent unreachable ability that the given person has achieved in a field of fields. The way it is achieved seems not to matter much. Maybe only that the extremely talented ones may have this mystical aura about them.

The thing that makes a genious is curiosity. Something that drives a person to research/do something out of pure interest. Simply the love of doing something.

Yes, blahblahblah
oh them joyful parasites

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Mon, 25. Jun 07, 02:38

Several studies of Genius I've read have made distinct connections between Bipolar and Genius, obviously not an absolute connection, but this could ultimately bode none too well for this kid. I hope not but..

Bipolar aka Manic Depression.

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Mon, 25. Jun 07, 03:08

This thread reminds me of Tom Sinkowski's (sp?) "Jump To Conclusions" mat in Office Space.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

Return to “Off Topic English”