a couple of bits of new tech stuff..

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

BugMeister
x4

a couple of bits of new tech stuff..

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 14. Sep 08, 17:14

- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Sun, 14. Sep 08, 17:52

SSD prices are coming down really fast now, seems that everyone is making them, even some that you wouldn't expect.

Still quite a way to drop untill you don't even bother considering getting old HDD.

50€ vs 200€ currently, though you also gain some speed.

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Sun, 14. Sep 08, 18:06

Interesting read fond along the sites left pannel linkies.

mmmmm

With so many electron emitters on one grid. Lets take that grid and place it into the cathode ray body ,faceing towards the narrow end . The Deflection Yoke will be used as the focusing device ...... mmmmmm .Ion cannon :twisted:
Last edited by Tracker001 on Tue, 16. Sep 08, 04:02, edited 1 time in total.

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Mon, 15. Sep 08, 00:13

I've already heard about the new SED monitors. It sounds like we'll be looking at 4,000,000 CRT monitors as one, coherent image.

But I have no idea what an SSD is. :?:
Admitting you have a problem is the first step in figuring out how to make it worse.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Mon, 15. Sep 08, 00:31

Solid state drive

The sooner prices come down and they get out from just laptops to desktops, the better.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Mon, 15. Sep 08, 00:32

Well ssd are interesting but they are too small and expensive.
I mean come on 500€+ for 64gb.
For that price i have 3 TB + velociraptor and that is all the speed i would need.
Its fast enough to capture lossles video and has enough space to last me a while.

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 15. Sep 08, 00:41

KloHunt3r wrote:I've already heard about the new SED monitors. It sounds like we'll be looking at 4,000,000 CRT monitors as one, coherent image.

But I have no idea what an SSD is. :?:
- to me it looks like a permanent memory rather than the dynamic thing we're used to
- hence the lack of a defrag requirement - kinda like a a flash memory card or whatever..

- once it's up and running, it just holds what what you put into it as a "frozen" image for retrieval..

- 'course I could be miles off-target, but that's how I envisage it..

- it sure looks quick, though..!! :roll:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 15. Sep 08, 08:40

BugMeister wrote: - to me it looks like a permanent memory rather than the dynamic thing we're used to
- hence the lack of a defrag requirement - kinda like a a flash memory card or whatever..
Er, no on all counts, really. An SSD looks just like a hard drive as far as the system is concerned, and it has fragmentation issues just like a hard drive does. HOWEVER, on a conventional hard drive what really slows it down is having to seek between the individual file fragments when a file gets fragmented. Because seek delay is pretty much nonexistent on an SSD, you can have a badly fragmented file without having a huge performance hit.

SSDs also aren't "frozen" in any way--they wouldn't be very useful if they were! You can read and write to them just as with a normal drive, although the write speed is usually slower than the read speed because of the way flash memory works.

Commander PJ
x3

Post by Commander PJ » Mon, 15. Sep 08, 10:25

pjknibbs wrote:Because seek delay is pretty much nonexistent on an SSD, you can have a badly fragmented file without having a huge performance hit.
That's one thing I've been wondering about. So it wouldn't matter how badly fragmented a file got, it wouldn't really matter? Also can you format SSDs?
i7 4930K @ 4200MHz
EVGA DARK
16GB DDR3 2400MHz
3x SLI GTX 780s
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Win 7 Ultimate

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 15. Sep 08, 11:03

I was just giving my impressions of the thing - I'm no expert..

Wiki actually has some useful info on SSD's
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive#History
while the article needs verification and citations, it's still quite informative..

note the remarks about the problems that may occur with SSD's and Windows
..appears that Linux users might achieve even greater efficiency from them..

- again, I'm not an expert - and my Benny Hill impression is probably better.. :D

- must say, those SED's look really neat - imagine CRT image results at 37 or 42 ins
- I believe they were used at the Beijing Olympics..??

nirwin
x3tc

Post by nirwin » Mon, 15. Sep 08, 11:20

Commander PJ wrote:
pjknibbs wrote:Because seek delay is pretty much nonexistent on an SSD, you can have a badly fragmented file without having a huge performance hit.
That's one thing I've been wondering about. So it wouldn't matter how badly fragmented a file got, it wouldn't really matter? Also can you format SSDs?
Yep they can be formatted (create/erase filetable).
From my understanding, SSD's do still have access time (time it takes to get the requested data), but it's significantly quicker than moving a drive head in a Hard Disk Drive. so fragmentation will still be an issue (until a new FS is used), but it will be a significantly reduced issue.
Nirwin
------
Sector Takeover | Unlimited Resources (x2/x3)

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 15. Sep 08, 11:31

Of course they have an access time, its just a lot lower than conventional hard drives.

This is worth a read if you are interested:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Solid-state_drive
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Mon, 15. Sep 08, 11:51

- just been viewing the specs on the 4870 X2 over at AMD..
http://game.amd.com/us-en/unlock_radeon ... 2.aspx?p=3
- blimey, that's some amazing technology.. :o

- pump that thing through an SED and you'd have to wear shades..!! 8)

PS: am I seeing things, or is that really lewishamilton on the tech forum..
- if it's a hoax, it's a brilliant one - if it isn't: even more brilliant!!
:D

Commander PJ
x3

Post by Commander PJ » Mon, 15. Sep 08, 12:21

Cheers for the links on SSDs, an interesting read.
Wikipedia wrote:In the mid-1980s Santa Clara Systems introduced BatRam
:lol: (I'm such a geek for finding that funny)
i7 4930K @ 4200MHz
EVGA DARK
16GB DDR3 2400MHz
3x SLI GTX 780s
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium
Win 7 Ultimate

Geggo
x3tc

Post by Geggo » Mon, 15. Sep 08, 17:12

pjknibbs wrote: SSDs also aren't "frozen" in any way--they wouldn't be very useful if they were! You can read and write to them just as with a normal drive, although the write speed is usually slower than the read speed because of the way flash memory works.
That is true with some of the drives, but take a look at the Memoright drive in this test, that thing looks awesome in performance. (I bet the price tag matches that performance though)

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/fla ... 00-13.html

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Mon, 15. Sep 08, 22:47

Commander PJ wrote:Cheers for the links on SSDs, an interesting read.
Wikipedia wrote:In the mid-1980s Santa Clara Systems introduced BatRam
:lol: (I'm such a geek for finding that funny)
Heh yeah I read an old article about Santa Clara Systems and LOL'd at the BatRam. I think they got bought out by either IBM or Sun, I don't recall.

Return to “Off Topic English”