Upgrading my PC - Not got a clue what im doing...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

jonbuttle
x3tc

Upgrading my PC - Not got a clue what im doing...

Post by jonbuttle » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 19:52

I dont particularly understand computers, but i do understand when you look what the requirements are for a game you should really exceed the "recommended requirements" rather than just about pass the "minimum requirements"!

Im looking at having a bit of a break from X while we wait for X-Rebirth but the game i fancy playing needs a "better PC", could i please ask for some help in understanding what i need to buy?
CPU Speed
Recommended: Intel Pentium® or AMD dual core @ 2 GHz
You Have: 1.8 GHz Performance Rated at: 2.448 GHz
So i need an extra 0.2GHz here? what do i buy to do this?
Recommended: 256 MB Shader Model 3.0 Graphics cards such as GeForce 8 class card or higher, ATi 3000 series or higher and Similar chips from other manufacturers
You Have: GeForce 6200
This says i need GeForce 8 and i have a 6200... I vaguely remember buying this, its a little card that goes in the machine (where, i cant remember!)
I've done a bit of Googling and got to this page but cant see a GeForce 8... Sooooo :roll:

Okay now you could you all please stop laughing and give me a hand :D

Jon

PS the game i want to try is... ::conspiratorial whisper:: EVEOnline :o
Trade - Fight - Build - Think - Guess Randomly...

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 20:02

What are your actual machine specs (or operating system)?

jonbuttle
x3tc

Post by jonbuttle » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 20:08

Operating System is Windows XP Professional - Service Pack 3

I think thats what you wanted?

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 20:13

Not exactly.

What graphics card do you have, with how much onboard memory? What's your CPU? How much memory do you have and what kind? What's the motherboard? That kind of thing :).

It's probably easiest if you paste the relevant bits of a [url=http://www.egosoft.com/support/faq/faq_answer_en.php?answer=610&version=8][b]DX[/b][b]D[/b]iag[/url].

jonbuttle
x3tc

Post by jonbuttle » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 20:19

This it?
Time of this report: 9/4/2011, 19:13:46
Machine name: JON'S PC
Operating System: Windows XP Professional (5.1, Build 2600) Service Pack 3 (2600.xpsp_sp3_gdr.101209-1647)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: Lan Plus
System Model: KM400-8235
BIOS: Phoenix - AwardBIOS v6.00PG
Processor: AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2500+, MMX, 3DNow, ~1.8GHz
Memory: 2048MB RAM
Page File: 832MB used, 3111MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c (4.09.0000.0904)
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
DxDiag Version: 5.03.2600.5512 32bit Unicode
EDIT:: oh and this
Card name: NVIDIA GeForce 6200
Manufacturer: NVIDIA
Chip type: GeForce 6200
DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC
Device Key: Enum\PCI\VEN_10DE&DEV_0221&SUBSYS_21521682&REV_A1
Display Memory: 256.0 MB
Current Mode: 1152 x 864 (32 bit) (60Hz)
Monitor: Default Monitor

Skillzfire
x3ap

Post by Skillzfire » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 20:26

no you don't need that extra 0.2 ghz you may possibly get the occasional bit of slow down but that is it (this is rare in my experience)

what you really should be looking for is:

duel-tri core processor (AMD are my favorites)
3-4gb ram 1000mhz
and i don't know about the video card are you a hardcore gamer?
Death is not a hunter unbeknownst to its prey, one is always aware that it lies in wait. Though life merely a journey to the grave, it must not be undertaken without hope. Only then will a traveler's story live on, treasured by who bid him farewell. But alas, my guest's life has ended, his tale left unwritten

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 20:32

I would look for a cheap bundle including:

MoBo
CPU
GFX
4GB Ram

I'd go for AMD for processor and MoBo as it's (essentially) cheaper. Pretty much anything on the market now is probably good enough, but I have to admit I'm not that current on mobo & CPU stuff :(

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

jonbuttle
x3tc

Post by jonbuttle » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 20:38

Thanks for everything so far...
MoBo = mother board right?
Whats a
duel-tri core processor
?

Im not a huge gamer - Put it this way i spend more time doing college assignments than playing games nowadays, not helped by the fact i spend so much time at the local climbing centre and gym

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 20:43

That should run Eve okay on low settings, I think.

If you want to upgrade then it probably would be better to just buy a new PC rather than trying to replace pieces.

jonbuttle
x3tc

Post by jonbuttle » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 20:48

Yeah According to these guys it just passes the Minimum requirements, but from experience with other games to get a good play it needs to be closer to the recommended requirements?

Is it cheaper to buy a new PC or to get extra stuff?

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 20:52

jonbuttle wrote:Thanks for everything so far...
MoBo = mother board right?
Whats a
duel-tri core processor
?

Im not a huge gamer - Put it this way i spend more time doing college assignments than playing games nowadays, not helped by the fact i spend so much time at the local climbing centre and gym
nowadays CPU's (processors) come in pairs, triples, quads and probably tartan as well..!!

you need something fast and the multi-core CPU's deliver pace aplenty..
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 20:58

I think the age of the motherboard and the components means you're probably going to have issues finding individual parts that you can (usefully) swap.

jonbuttle
x3tc

Post by jonbuttle » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 21:06

OK so if i get a new machine it needs dual or tri core. Got it.

So, i cant just put a better / newer graphics card in my current machine?

BugMeister
x4

Post by BugMeister » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 21:53

a waste of cash, quite frankly - if you're serious about building a games machine,
you need to move up to DDR3 RAM and a fast CPU, one of those "bundles" would be a better start:
http://www.novatech.co.uk/novatech/bundles.html

- you might get away with using your current PSU and case,
- but that depends on the choice of mobo, etc..
- there's some good cheap, fast graphics cards around as well..

- I wouldn't throw any money at your current mobo.. :wink:
- the whole universe is running in BETA mode - we're working on it.. beep..!! :D :thumb_up:

Carlo the Curious
x4

Post by Carlo the Curious » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 22:11

jonbuttle wrote:So, i cant just put a better / newer graphics card in my current machine?
As far as I can tell your motherboard doesn't have PCI-E, so your choice would be extremely limited (and probably not much of an improvement).

jonbuttle
x3tc

Post by jonbuttle » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 22:33

OK so im getting an inkling that my motherboard is a little outdated then...
Whats
PCI-E

shifty_powers

Post by shifty_powers » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 22:53

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express

edit: the above link seemingly does not make it clear that it is used for modern graphics cards :roll:

Bascially, you need a new pc. You are already being advised to buy a new motherboard, cpu, ram and graphics card. Also bear in mind that you will not be able to reuse your existing windows xp installation, and it might be worth considering moving to windows 7, (newest version).

I see you as having two choices, either build a new system yourself with help from us or use one of the many system builders on there, (novatech already been posted i see), so they do the work for you.

Your current system is unfortunately on the verge of becoming fossilised in pc gaming terms, and there is no real point in trying to do piecemeal upgrades, as mentioned above.

You don't necessarily need to spend lots of money, you could get a pc capable of running eve quite cheaply and then upgrade it when X-rebirth comes out...
"I believe that inherent within the God-given right to the pursuit of happiness, is the equally God-given right to the pursuit of unhappiness. That is why I support gay marriage", Chuck Lorre, 2008

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 4. Sep 11, 23:53

shifty_powers wrote: Also bear in mind that you will not be able to reuse your existing windows xp installation.
Why do you say that, I have used XP on 2 or 3 complete rebuilds without any problems, apart from having to phone microsoft for new codes, which they gave me without any questions at all. As far as I know they aren't even too bothered with XP now, as they will be dropping support for it soon.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

perkint
x3tc

Post by perkint » Mon, 5. Sep 11, 00:36

Whether you can re-use your windows install depends on what type it is. If it's an OEM you will struggle, but all other variants should be OK.

Essentially you need to upgrade pretty much all that counts in your PC:

Brain: CPU. Needs upgrading
Memory: May be able to keep, but may be cheap to buy new which will be better and more!
Storage: HD. May be able to manage with what you've got, but cheap to upgrade.
Graphics: GFX card. Needs upgrading. Not expensive.
Case & PSU. May be able to live with what you've got, but PSU may be an issue depending on what it is and what you buy...

Essentially, you might be able to get a MoBO, CPU and ram bundle for < £150 and should be able to get a GFX card for <£120. This should (hopefully) all drop into your existing case.

If you can find one, a complete build (ie new PC) that has a dedicated GFX card in it (which you may struggle for less than £300) would be a better option. It'll upgrade pretty much everything you have, but can you get one for cheap money? I have to admit, I haven't looked.

But, you are more or less at the stage where it may be best to simply upgrade the lot. Or maybe find a friend who plays games and buy a system off him when he upgrades!

Tim
Struggling to find something from the forums - Google it!!! :D

shifty_powers

Post by shifty_powers » Mon, 5. Sep 11, 09:02

felter wrote:
shifty_powers wrote: Also bear in mind that you will not be able to reuse your existing windows xp installation.
Why do you say that, I have used XP on 2 or 3 complete rebuilds without any problems, apart from having to phone microsoft for new codes, which they gave me without any questions at all. As far as I know they aren't even too bothered with XP now, as they will be dropping support for it soon.
slight misunderstanding there, possibly my fault ;) You can of course re-install xp, but the point i was making is that you would not be able to switch half of your pc's innards and then use the same installation of XP - would not be pretty. As such, I felt he might as well upgrade to Windows 7 at the same time, although if he has the installation disk I happily concede that he does not HAVE to :D
"I believe that inherent within the God-given right to the pursuit of happiness, is the equally God-given right to the pursuit of unhappiness. That is why I support gay marriage", Chuck Lorre, 2008

Return to “Off Topic English”