The Witcher 3

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 24. May 15, 02:08

Olterin wrote:Let's just say I regret a few choices I made :|
Is that not a good thing?
I can't breathe.

- George Floyd, 25th May 2020

Mopy
x3

Post by Mopy » Sun, 24. May 15, 05:15

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:I read there was like 20+ different endings so I bet at least one of them is good!
Well, I hope it's not just the one :D
Olterin wrote:Let's just say ... you have to consider what you're doing with the quests carefully. Or ... else. Not going to spoil anything here though. Let's just say I regret a few choices I made :|
A few? I regret all of them so far. I thought I was doing the right thing in all cases. Maybe one out of six or seven I could have seen if I observed a little better, but not the rest. Even the cutscene stated 'I couldn't have known..'.

Quest names only, no other spoilers in the first set of tags;
Spoiler
Show
Baron, Trapped Spirit Tree, Crones, Kiera plague tower questline spoilers below, only read if you've completely finished them it and want to know another possible outcome (or just how badly I'm doing)
Talking about the quests named above;
Spoiler
Show
First, the one that I should have seen. I took the bones of the specter from the rat infested tower and gave them to Graham so he could bury them and lift the curse. I should have seen the note in the bestiary about what the rats mean in one of the wraith entries.

He got slashed to pieces and died, plus I set a vengeful wraith loose. Good start!

Next, I the nature spirit. There's me thinking I'm doing the right thing by releasing what seemed to me at the time to be a neutral nature spirit trapped in the tree in exchange for it saving the kids. Was there a hint of it being evil? Only when I released it, Geralt stated he just released an evil spirit. I'm glad he knew it was evil, because I sure didn't. Did anyone spot any hints?

It killed everyone in a nearby town and the children are nowhere to be seen.

Next came the Baron. Trying to get his wife from the Crones, I picked the right doll. She died anyway thanks to the Crones' curse.

His daughter still ran off with the crazy magic-hating cult, and on returning to Crow's Perch, he'd bloody hanged himself!
I hope the bad in the short term going to be good in the long term? We'll see.

I was seething after *the last line in the second spoiler*. Never had my buttons pushed by a game like that before. This has to the be the most depressing game ever created by the way :lol:
Sig

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Tue, 26. May 15, 22:28

In hard-copy editions of the game, CD Projekt Red have put in this note. What a nice touch.

pic
This sı not ǝpısdn down.

Mopy
x3

Post by Mopy » Tue, 26. May 15, 23:35

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:In hard-copy editions of the game, CD Projekt Red have put in this note. What a nice touch.

pic
Nice! I think they've released two of those DLC's so far, Temerian Armor and Beard and Hairstyle set.
Sig

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 27. May 15, 09:00

Apparently you can mess up the game and quests by wandering around and exploring too much.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sat, 30. May 15, 21:45

I caved in and bought it. 7gb to go.
I can't breathe.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sat, 30. May 15, 23:40

So far I am finding it a very enjoyable game. Like pretty much everything about it.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Gosnell
x4

Post by Gosnell » Sun, 31. May 15, 00:33

I headed to a marker in an unexplored part of the map,completed my task there,looked around for a village to fast travel from,stumbled into a whole new quest,not just a small one either but a 2 hour slog of a quest,this is why i love this game.

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Sun, 31. May 15, 00:59

Observe wrote:If it doesn't support extensive modding on the level of Skyrim, I'm not interested. Witcher 2 eventually had support via REDkit, but it came out so long after the game was released, that the game itself didn't have much interest by that time, and I didn't like Witcher 2 very much to being with. I suspect Witcher 3 will be the same. As such, I'll likely skip this one altogether and hold my breath for next Fallout and/or Elder Scrolls - if I'm even still into gaming by then.
Good summary, I am usually getting bored half-way through the game unless it has good modding support. Some people don't understand. I guess they are into simpler things :)

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Sun, 31. May 15, 01:47

Does anyone else feel like Geralt's movement is a little sluggish? I sometimes find myself overshooting and walking into things a lot, feels like he's got a bit too much momentum?
I'm using a PS4 controller with a 3rd party mapper (DS4 Xinput tool) because I really didn't like the keyboard+mouse controls, but I don't think that's got anything to do with it.

@Kurush
'simpler things'?...
Poor choice of words, I think, but I'l ignore it.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.

RegisterMe
x4

Post by RegisterMe » Sun, 31. May 15, 02:20

After an hour or two I have to say the interface is shite, and yes, combat is sluggish. Having said that I am sure both will get less annoying with use / familiarity.

The world convinces me, more than convinces me, to play more, and get over this particular trip rope, but Batman combat it ain't.

EDIT: At the moment.
I can't breathe.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 31. May 15, 07:50

I am not entirely sure if the combat is sluggish or if it's by design. You probably need to wait until another action is complete to use another action. Casting signs can be a bit annoying sometimes. Blocking/countering seems a but sluggish sometimes but probably for the same reason. Risen 3 felt the same way but you need timing.

Combat at first seemed difficult but then became much easier for me. I am currently playing one level below the highest difficulty and am tempted to raise it to the highest difficulty.

some other stuff that might help
-you need to put skills in the skill tree for them to work and they also get matching set bonuses like 3 blue skills with a blue mutagen will get a higher bonus than just random sets
-pressing and holding Q is needed to activate some perks
-the original armor you start out with is unique and upgradable
-swallow is your main method of healing outside of skills/perks

Mopy
x3

Post by Mopy » Sun, 31. May 15, 09:33

It's strange in that some things you have to wait for and some you don't. I hated the movement in the tutorial, I just kept overshooting things all over the place. That's until I found the walk toggle key - that's probably my most used key in the game outside of the sidestep dodge.

I didn't like the combat either until I found dodge and parry. I upped the difficulty level to high and now find the stand-off-ish nature of combat very enjoyable - very few attacks are thrown, but they really count when they are. Lots of waiting, parrying, countering, maneuvering and dodging (very little rolling).

I've also taken to buying all the Gwent cards (some can be missed!)

There's a patch tomorrow - I hope they fix the giant loot window they introduced last Monday!

60 hours on record so far - I'm still in the first area I chose to go to (outside the prologue).
burger1 wrote:-the original armor you start out with is unique and upgradable
Oops, I sold mine. I haven't seen any upgrades for it though.
burger1 wrote:-swallow is your main method of healing outside of skills/perks
Don't forget foods! The water isn't so great, but the foods you can buy are really useful. I make a point of having a stash of nuts, candy and meat in the 'F' hotkey slot.
Sig

j-h

Post by j-h » Sun, 31. May 15, 09:42

Mopy wrote:I didn't like the combat either until I found dodge and parry. I upped the difficulty level to high and now find the stand-off-ish nature of combat very enjoyable - very few attacks are thrown, but they really count when they are. Lots of waiting, parrying, countering, maneuvering and dodging (very little rolling).
Sounds great. I'm still far from that kind of fighting skills. What other people says as well, if one uses scrolling a lot during fights they are doing it just wrong.
Mopy wrote:60 hours on record so far - I'm still in the first area I chose to go to (outside the prologue).
Nice, sounds like there are plenty stuff to do :). It took 11 hours to me to "finish" prologue. There are still couple of nests to destroy and things to do but I will go back later to deal them.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 31. May 15, 11:37

burger1 wrote:-the original armor you start out with is unique and upgradable

Oops, I sold mine. I haven't seen any upgrades for it though.
Warriors leather jacket might be it for the gear upgrade?
http://ca.ign.com/wikis/the-witcher-3-w ... tcher_Gear

No real loss since there's better gear.

Mopy
x3

Post by Mopy » Sun, 31. May 15, 13:30

j-h wrote:Sounds great. I'm still far from that kind of fighting skills. What other people says as well, if one uses scrolling a lot during fights they are doing it just wrong.
I think it took me until about 25 hours in before I could do this. Took me at least ten to figure out rolling messes up stamina and dodge doesn't! Nevermind, better late than never.
Mopy wrote:Nice, sounds like there are plenty stuff to do :). It took 11 hours to me to "finish" prologue. There are still couple of nests to destroy and things to do but I will go back later to deal them.
Nice! Sounds like we're about the same! I think I was there for two hours longer, but then only because I went a little OCD on those monster nests. Still I have to go back too, they just added some new Gwent cards to that area that weren't there in 1.0.

In the prologue, did you find
Spoiler
Show
Yennifer's silver bird head in the grass near where you enter the first area?
I still have no idea what it's for. Geralt certainly didn't give it back when they met at Prologue end.
burger1 wrote:Warriors leather jacket might be it for the gear upgrade?
http://ca.ign.com/wikis/the-witcher-3-w ... tcher_Gear

No real loss since there's better gear.
Wow, you're right. Can't believe I missed that.

Oh and I broke the main quest without realising it about 15 hours of gameplay ago. :shock: I hope it's fixed tomorrow.
Sig

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Sun, 31. May 15, 20:55

I haven't done much of the main questline, I've spent the better part of this weekend pretty much exclusively playing Gwent. I love minigames like this, they're just so addicting.

1st sign of a good RPG, when you can put 20+ hours into the minigame alone...
This sı not ǝpısdn down.

Olterin
xr

Post by Olterin » Sun, 31. May 15, 21:56

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote:I haven't done much of the main questline, I've spent the better part of this weekend pretty much exclusively playing Gwent. I love minigames like this, they're just so addicting.

1st sign of a good RPG, when you can put 20+ hours into the minigame alone...
"Came for the story, stayed for the Gwent" is what came to mind there :D

I've now finished the game ... and plan to replay it on a higher difficulty level (didn't realize you could switch that mid-game ... for the entirety of those 80something hours), probably going much slower and doing every single last bit of side quests and witcher contracts. I only did the more interesting secondary quests alongside the main story the first time.

What can I say? Didn't really feel the need for any mods (unlike Skyrim), the story is great, and it's really interesting (although sometimes painful) to watch the consequences of your choices unfold throughout the game.
"Do or do not, there is no try"
"My Other Overwhelming Mixed Assault Fleet is a Brigantine" -Seleucius, commenting on my ship naming scheme

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Mon, 1. Jun 15, 01:13

If not for the stupid control message popping up in the corner, this screenshot I took would make for one hell of a good desktop background. I am using it as my background, but that message is just annoying so I doubt anyone else would want it.

Screenshot
This sı not ǝpısdn down.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Tue, 2. Jun 15, 00:21

I find the combat very similar to that of Monster Hunter, take your time, learn the moves set of the enemy and then make your hits count, but I do like rolling away at the last minute coming up and using a sign and sword combo.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Return to “Off Topic English”