What are you watching now ? Movies and TV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 10. Dec 16, 09:20

The Last Guardian funny youtube gameplay video - has a lot of coarse launguage/swearing in it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QvcFRgJwE2k

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 14. Dec 16, 08:14

Well, tried a couple of new programmes, one on Amazon and one on Netflix.

The Grand Tour on Amazon looked good (photographically) but smugness oozing out of Clarkson was unbearable and I couldn't watch it. It felt like ghey had used all the bits from the old Top Gear that were rubbish.

I was excited to see Netflix had a new series of Dirk Gently 's Holistic detective Agency, but the excited wained and turned to despair as I watched the first 50minutes of it. It's only resemblance to the book would be the title. God knows how it was rated 5*. It had none of Adams' clever writing and felt it was trying to be whacky but had somehow had all the humour drained from it.
A flower?

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 14. Dec 16, 09:20

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote: The Grand Tour on Amazon looked good (photographically) but smugness oozing out of Clarkson was unbearable and I couldn't watch it. It felt like ghey had used all the bits from the old Top Gear that were rubbish.
You sure you weren't watching the Chris Evans Top Gear on BBC? :wink: I actually like the Grand Tour--second episode was a bit duff, IMHO, but the other three have been pretty entertaining.

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Wed, 14. Dec 16, 10:34

I've started binge watching the Arrowverse shows other than Arrow and Flash because they started a huge crossover episode chain and I thought it was as good a time as any to catch up and watch all the episodes in order.
In Flames We Trust
Listening to Whitechapel soothes the soul!! :D     ¹ ¤ ¹      But, the nuns are watching...
Samuel Creshal wrote:Keyboards: What separates the men from the boys.
XRM Trailer - XRM Installation Guide Video

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 14. Dec 16, 10:35

pjknibbs wrote:
You sure you weren't watching the Chris Evans Top Gear on BBC? :wink: I actually like the Grand Tour--second episode was a bit duff, IMHO, but the other three have been pretty entertaining.
No that was not good for different reasons - mainly Chris Evans shouty presentation style....
A flower?

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 14. Dec 16, 11:19

I might binge watch Fringe again.

Deleted User

Post by Deleted User » Wed, 14. Dec 16, 14:01

Hannibal

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 17. Dec 16, 17:19

Van Helsing series on Netflix.

Apothos
x3tc

Post by Apothos » Sun, 18. Dec 16, 01:10

Working my way through Babylon 5 again. Got to series four last night.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 19. Dec 16, 10:31

I've been slowly catching up on episodes of Westworld. I haven't gotten in a good binge-watching session yet, though.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 20. Dec 16, 17:34

Finally got round to watching Frank Capra's 'It's a wonderful Life'.

I was expecting some masterpiece of cinema. Instead it was slow, too long, and so boring I almost didn't bother finishing it.

I did, but I was left feeling disappointed that I bothered.

Honestly, the Red Dwarf novel 'Better Than Life' did a more interesting version of the story. I wasn't expecting that light parody to end being the more entertaining of the two, but it was.

I guess I just didn't get the point.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 21. Dec 16, 04:27

mrbadger wrote:Finally got round to watching Frank Capra's 'It's a wonderful Life'....

I guess I just didn't get the point.
It's a "feel good" movie that has been made that way by some sort of cultish status.

I don't really like the movie and I avoid it whenever possible. It's not that it's "bad", it's just... meh.

But, it's got snow in it. And an angel. And a "good guy" who gets redeemed, saves the farm, or the pretty girl on the railroad tracks.. or the dog.. or whatever...

BUT, if you tell any of the rabid fans who insist on plugging in their old VHS tape of it or rush to the DVD player to slap it in or somehow find some sorry streaming service peddling it out to bored homemakers... if you tell any of them that you don't like it, they won't let you mooch off of the free booze and food at their Christmas party. So, just go along with it...

PS - I think "Harvey" was a much better Stewart "feel good" flick. :) "Mr. Smith goes to Washington" wasn't bad, either, but that's sort of an America-centric patriotic piece. (Favorite Stewart movie is "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valence" - I'm probably an anachronism.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Wed, 21. Dec 16, 09:17

I'm sure "It's a Wonderful Life" was amazing for its day, but its day was 70 years ago now. People were just coming out of a horrendous war, I'm sure a feel-good tale like that is just what they needed at the time. Nowadays, not so much.

It's like all those critical lists that put "Citizen Kane" as the best movie of all time...maybe when it was released, but now? No way.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Thu, 22. Dec 16, 06:03

pjknibbs wrote:I'm sure "It's a Wonderful Life" was amazing for its day, but its day was 70 years ago now. People were just coming out of a horrendous war, I'm sure a feel-good tale like that is just what they needed at the time. Nowadays, not so much.
IIRC, it didn't do too well.
It's like all those critical lists that put "Citizen Kane" as the best movie of all time...maybe when it was released, but now? No way.
<cockatoo shrieks>

HERETIC!

It is the best movie of all time. If not, it's in the top two. Get all "cinamaaaah'd"up and watch some interviews with directors, writers, artsy-fartsy types, then grab some popcorn, something with alcohol in it, and watch the movie with a critical eye. Afterwards, find a documentary on it and watch as they slowly pull the movie apart to reveal its juicy underbelly... :) One could write a book about the cinematography alone. What control and use of shadows! The movie has just about every storytelling trope/trick/tool shoved in it and most are delightfully hidden from "plain sight."

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Thu, 22. Dec 16, 09:12

Oh, I have no doubt Citizen Kane is a technical masterwork, but films are not entirely about the technical side--and I don't think the story and pacing of the film are that great, to be honest.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Thu, 22. Dec 16, 09:59

If t cynical sides of movies were all that mattered, the Transfomers movies would be masterpieces that earned billions.

Oh wait, they are, the money side at least.

Michael Bay is a fantastically talented director. Artsy people may not think so (I haven't been able to make it past the second movie in that series, or even all the way through it), but that's the vapid plots of what are fundamentally movies about toys, and toys I didn't even like as a kid at that.

But clearly he hits the spot for what makes a good piece of entertainment for the majority of movie goers.

I just wish he'd make something I like.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 18. Jan 17, 23:38

Star Trek Discovery delayed. The premiere date has moved from May to an unknown later date.

http://ca.ign.com/articles/2017/01/18/s ... ther-sarek

felter
xr

Post by felter » Thu, 19. Jan 17, 00:45

Just watched Fury on Netflix. It's about a world war 2 tank crew fighting in Germany. Damn good film that I highly recommend.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Thu, 19. Jan 17, 16:21

felter wrote:Just watched Fury on Netflix. It's about a world war 2 tank crew fighting in Germany. Damn good film that I highly recommend.
While you are WW2 war movies. There was a very well done German WW2 Drama I can highly recommend, the german title was "our mothers, our fathers": Generation War
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 19. Jan 17, 18:32

burger1 wrote:Van Helsing series on Netflix.
I started watching this and it seems to lose it's way and I lost my interest.

Watched "Ascension" only to realise it doesn't really finish properly - I hate it when they do that .
A flower?

Return to “Off Topic English”