Ranty McRant Thread 2

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 22. May 18, 19:02

mrbadger wrote:..Stupid gets what stupid deserves. Or have we turned into a world where people don't have to expect to take responsibility for their own actions? Because that's not going to work.
But, what about when what stupid people do starts effecting not-stupid people? And, what about when stupid policies get put in place and become generally accepted by stupid people, so they vote that they're OK for smart people, too?

"Wrong" is just wrong. I agree - If you don't want to abide by the service contract of a service, don't use that service. But, calling itself a "service" does not entitle just anything to do... just anything, does it?

Microsoft Windows is one of those "products as a service" sort of things, these days, or is becoming one. So, because one is using it, Microsoft says it can use their data for whatever it wants... until you go through a laborious process to tell it that it can't. And, even then, that's not always the case.

Stupid people joined Facebook and are now screaming when they realize that, yes, just like it told them it was, it's using them to make money by using their data.

But, now, everyone else is doing it, too. They're doing it because they can make lots of money from doing it. And, what was once considered an innocuous, barely meaningful, use of personal data or habits has now become much more powerful and much more intrusive. Personal data collection has gotten out of hand.. It has progressed faster and stronger than we have been able to put brakes on it through regulation and consumer protection laws.

Microsoft pushes ads through Windows 10. If you tell them not to use your data to facilitate that, you'll still get advertising, it just won't be "as" targeted as it used to be. They still collect a good bit of your data, too, and you can't stop that. So, use a Linux based OS? OK, sure, but then I can't do a lot of things that rely on third-party applications that are only running on Windows... Windows made itself indispensable and is what everyone writes for, these days.

If there was a "Don't Track Anything" button and I had to pay a reasonable fee to shut off such activity, I would. But there isn't and I can't. Why? Money, that's why, and I am being unwillingly "used," even if I purchased a product, as a tool for someone else to make money. I get nothing but the inconvenience and possible very real danger of having private data exposed to disreputable sorts.

Where is my option to truly opt-out? It's gone. Why? Because lots of stupid people accepted their own exploitation without complaint, often with full enthusiasm, and set into motion a system that is solely built to feed off of others.

Something has to be done to stem the flood of exploitation. We can't as quickly "opt-out" of the Internet as fast as it can exploit our privacy. If we developed any of the possible, and largely fanciful, replacements, they'd still fill up with opportunists without proper regulation and or protections put in place.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 22. May 18, 23:46

Allegedly work have changed our notice period from 1 month to 3 months and we do not need to have agreed to it...

:roll:

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Wed, 23. May 18, 13:07

That makes payment in lieu of notice quite substantial though.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Wed, 23. May 18, 14:34

Saw coverage of Zuckerburg getting "interviewed" by the EU.
....UH...I'll get back to you on that...
Uhh...as soon as he gets back to them on that...

You could see his gears grinding almost hear him
thinking (Are these people for real? Have to dig into
their data nand get something to get them off my back)
The answer to life, the universe and everything:
MIND THE GAP

korio
Moderator (Español)
Moderator (Español)
x4

Post by korio » Wed, 23. May 18, 14:40

Im just thinking about what will happen to microsoft when the new european GPDR goes on the 25 of this month, as they are clearly breaking this new regulation (at least as far as i understand it).

Now everything is focused on facebook, but what will happen when that chapter is finished?

If i remember correctly, anything that you store that can be attached to a physical person, is under the new rules in Europe, and i think all the data that microsoft is collecting can be attached to individuals with a little work, so we will see.

As always, money is the key, and if the European parliament thinks the looses of facing a giant like microsoft will be to high, they will shut their own mouths and dont hit the beehive.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Wed, 23. May 18, 15:26

korio wondered:
Im just thinking about what will happen to microsoft
Short answer got a blurb on US news. The top companies are already lobbying hard for protection from the EU since (so far as they are concerned) they are following US law. One polititio said, "We're looking at are treaties and if we find they (the EU) overstepped then we'll have to take action." Which with the huge contributions the corporations have doled out I'd put odds on the US stepping out of those treaties or renegotiating them before the EU's laws has much effect. So most likely NOTHING will effect Microsoft that greatly. Rest assured of that.
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Wed, 23. May 18, 21:19

korio wrote:...As always, money is the key, and if the European parliament thinks the looses of facing a giant like microsoft will be to high, they will shut their own mouths and dont hit the beehive.
The E.U. and many countries within it have managed to do things to protect consumer safety and privacy that nobody else has dared to do. They have repeated slapped big companies like Microsoft, Facebook, etc and now they're pulling out the big guns.

I think it's a good thing.

Though, I still think more needs to be done in that regard.

Micro$oft will be fine. Their only purpose with Win10 et al was to make their OS division "break even" at best. And, if it could be profitable, so much the better. They don't derive a significant portion of their income/profits from their OS and they've already announced they will be scaling back the emphasis on that product. It may be that we'll see another company come forward with a product that will truly compete against Windows. Microsoft will defend itself, of course, but I don't think they'll care too much if that happens. Heck, maybe they'll sell that division off to someone else?

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 28. May 18, 20:42

Mother Nature hates us.

So, I detected some dampness in my finished basement last week. "Uh oh." I get some people, they do their thing, says "It's likely incidental. Everyone is working overtime. Here's some stuff, let it run, we'll start the serious stuff, soon, blah blah."

Yesterday, it monsooned on us. "Flooding" is not the word for it. (Well, I suppose it is, but having an unplanned lakeside home in the mountains is not what I was expecting.)

Visibility was, at one time, maybe 75-100 yards. That's stationary, not flying at several hundred miles an hour. It was coming down by the bucket-full. Driving would have not been possible at any speed. In some areas, today, driving is not possible at all since low-lying roads are currently bass-crossings. It was raining so hard that I saw a squirrel covering his nuts with an umbrella. Srsly.

I am now the proud owner of a basement swimming pool. Well, not quite that bad, really, but it's bad enough that most of it will have to be redone. I worked hard moving stuff out of my office, which didn't get too badly hit, but there is more yet to come, so I spent some time with a shovel this afternoon, digging a trench to guide the next river that decides to encroach upon my property. (Probably won't work, but there aren't any ditch-witches to rent and the cable-locator service does not work on Memorial Day. (I could call it an Emergency, but I'm not going to keep them from the real emergencies.)

And, there's nobody to help - All the disaster services are literally flooded with calls. The people coming to fix my crap are having to drive from another State. Most of my neighbors are like "lol, me too."

It is supposed to dump on us for the rest of the week... The ground is already oversaturated. Water just flows on top or, worse, flows below the surface now. The likelihood of an underground mudslide is very high, in my opinion, if it wasn't for the somewhat "shaley" soil, which may help. Except, there's a layer of good ol' red clay down below, which is just going to act as a "floor" for the water to flow across. The shaley soil might actually be worse in that case.

So, I have that to look forward to this week. I'm running the AC nonstop, now, trying to get as much moisture out as i can. (Cold as @$%$. Btw, did you know men have nipples? Yup, crazy ain't it? Dunno why.) I've stopped trying to soak/bail/run the de-humidifiers since, quite frankly, they suck and they have to be manually dumped, since the windows down there do not open. (yay :/) Right now, it's a slow seep and water is just being soaked by the remaining carpet, which isn't a bad thing, really. But, there's no low spot for a sump-pump, so no sump to help.

Anyway, just bitching, bemoaning my fate. No flood insurance since I lapsed that, last year. (Me=dumbass) Normal insurance has offered their assistance/etc but there is little anyone can do, right now, since there is nobody available to do the "doing." The region is, in technical terms, $%@^'ed. If your company can move water in any way, you're working through the holiday here.

Luckily for me and unluckily for you, I still have power and teh intranetz. That is not the case with a wide swath of residents in this area, since a lot of the trees uprooted themselves when the ground go too saturated for their roots to hold. Power lines, cables, telephone poles, transformers and utility boxes are now modern art masterpieces.

Probably should step out back and do some fishing... The plants seem to be enjoying themselves until they get root-rot. /sigh I really don't need this %@$ right now.

Ps - When I was a kid in another house/State, we had a basement somewhat like this. During a particularly rainy week, we got an underground mudslide that came right through the walls and obliterated it. I'm really hoping that doesn't happen, here, but I'm trying to prepare for that worst-case scenario.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Tue, 29. May 18, 09:22

Morkonan wrote:Mother Nature hates us.
I'm starting to think that way myself!

We've had a real heavy downpour of rain/hail a few days ago. I went into our garage to do some woodwork and noticed that the garage floor was wet on one side, checked the roof, all ok.
The problem is next doors garden/soil level.
Several years ago the house next door was sold, and the new owner had another house built on the land surrounding the old house.
At the time of the new house being built I noticed that they had removed the earth that was dug out for the foundations and to get rid of it they spread it over the new back garden....which butts up against my garage wall. The garage wall forms part of the boundary between my property and theirs.
This resulted in their garden/ soil being raised above the damp course of my garage.
I mentioned this at the time to the new owner, and was told they would sort it out. Well, they didn't, so a few months later when the house had been completed and a new lawn was made I mentioned it again, and of course you guessed it...they didn't rectify the problem.
Over the course of the following years it got forgotten as there was only a miniscule ingress of damp to that side of the garage wall when it was very wet weather.
So...with the recent heavy downpour (and the general wetter weather these days) the problem is getting worse. I've decided to contact the owners, who now rent out the property. I'm hoping that they will do something about it when I do contact them, but I'm not confident that they will, so it will mean I'll have to take up the matter with a solicitor or something....we'll see, but as it's a bank holiday here I''ll have to wait until later in the week, (that's if I'm even able to contact them). :roll:

I'm a bit frustrated, and angry that nothing was done in the first place, but that's partly my fault, the house is now up for sale so this might complicate matters even more. Heavier rainfall is now I think a big problem generally/globally.

Oldman :)

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Tue, 29. May 18, 11:59

@ Oldman: Actually the house being up for sale could be to your advantage. If you contact their estate agents and state that you have an outstanding work requirement (agreed by verbal contract) against that property, it will complicate (delay) the sale and act as an incentive to the owner to sort it.

You may not need a solicitor at this initial stage, but if that doesn't work then your solicitor contacting the solicitor(s) handling the sale should do the trick, at some expense though.

BTW: I don't think any of your issue is Mother Nature's fault. Simple vertical membranes holding some decorative pebble drainage along your garage wall would not be that difficult or costly to implement and would not pose a very wide or unsightly incursion into their lawn edge. I had to do something similar along my fence rot-boards as my topsoil level is quite a bit higher than my next door neighbour's concrete path/patio.
Last edited by Alan Phipps on Tue, 29. May 18, 12:11, edited 1 time in total.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Tue, 29. May 18, 12:03

@Oldman
Whose house is up for sale .... ? are you UK based...?
If it is your neighbours then you have the advantage, they have to disclose if there are any disputes (legal or otherwise) which would be of detriment to their sale .... Now would be a good time to seek an amicable solution or raise a dispute.

Ahhhh beaten to the punch by that ever observant Alan .... :)

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Tue, 29. May 18, 12:29

Oldman, as others have mentioned now is the perfect time to have a word with the outgoing neighbour.

Didn't know you were a fellow 'make big bits of wood smaller type' :)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 29. May 18, 14:33

birdtable wrote:@Oldman
Whose house is up for sale .... ? are you UK based...?
If it is your neighbours then you have the advantage, they have to disclose if there are any disputes (legal or otherwise) which would be of detriment to their sale .... Now would be a good time to seek an amicable solution or raise a dispute.

Ahhhh beaten to the punch by that ever observant Alan .... :)
I used the fact that neighbors have to disclose disputes to force a neighbor who was being quite aggressive and pointlessly threatening to cut down a tree.

I responded to a succesion of badly worded threats of legal action over stupid things mostly due to him being angry about my having an extention built (for my disability) he didn't want me to by insisting that he cut down a tree that was overhanging my garden, blocking large amounts of light, and dropping fruit onto my patio.

I pointed out that if I tripped and injured myself as a result of this tree I woud sue him. And I listed the relevent laws that would allow me to do it.

I got one more badly worded angry response that i skimmed over then filed for use as evidence, then his son came round and chopped down the tree. i guess, after all the stuff I'd had to put with from his dad over the previous year they'd figured out I wasn't kidding.

Disputes are no longer quite as wise as they used to be. it pays to resolve them, or better still to avoid them to begin with.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 29. May 18, 15:00

mrbadger noted:
Disputes are no longer quite as wise as they used to be.
UK & US. I don't know about the UK, but in the US there is a particularly insidious phenomenon where a group of self appointed mavens of majority go about incorporation into a group that can have of dozens of names, but are commonly termed "Homeowner's Associations". Suddenly, even if you did not "opt in" to it, they have coopted your home and property and can and do "cite" with the power of fines for such offences as having an "unapproved" color home or other offense of "rules" that crop up like most bureaucratic cancers. Some are lucky enough to be protected from this nonsense by laws "grandfathering" the people at the start of these groups, but subsequent new builds are homebuyers are usually forced into complance as part of the deed.

Count yourself lucky if you're outside this form of "community policing". Otherwise you might find (As it seems a great many of these groups do) that those particularly bad neighbors are suddenly the "law of the land".
MIND THE GAP

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Tue, 29. May 18, 15:10

Avis wrote:
Didn't know you were a fellow 'make big bits of wood smaller type' :)
Hi Avis :D

Yeah, plenty of sawdust and shavings too! :D
I'm at the moment making a box come trolley with lid to hold (most of) all the equipment at our local bowls club (indoor short mat bowls). My Dad was a carpenter, so that's where I get it from, but I don't do much carpentry nowadays. I used to make bird tables, dovecotes and nest boxes for people, it was a small business to start with but it was starting to get too much for me (too many orders, couldn't keep up!) as I didn't have the room/workshop space etc. to do it efficiently....working in a garage with no heating in winter 'aint no fun! :wink:
I was employed/had a job anyway, so I decided to jack it in. Still get asked if I make bird tables etc. but I usually say no, though I did make one a few months back for a friend.

Anyway, nice to see you're still around Avis :thumb_up:
Thank's to everybody for the advice, Yup, If they would dig a trench to below the damp course (blue brick) and fill it with gravel that would probably be good enough....we'll see.

I'm going to take a break now, have some lunch and play a bit of Elite Horizons :) .....collecting materials for engineers at the moment...in the vicinity of Caucuma....nice and quiet out here! :fg:

Oldman :)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 29. May 18, 15:28

Hank001 wrote:
Count yourself lucky if you're outside this form of "community policing". Otherwise you might find (As it seems a great many of these groups do) that those particularly bad neighbors are suddenly the "law of the land".
I understand it's even possible to be imprisoned for not maintaining your lawn in some places in the US.

My neighbor caaled our council so much during the building, and the police, they both ended up coming to us and apologising for being fooled by him into thinking he was making legimimate complaints.

The fool even told the workmen he was going to sue us about the noise, not realise it would actually be them he would have to sue. Tht of course, like all of his threats went no-where, but it produced an uncomfortable situation which persists to this day. I imagine because, his complaints being groundless, got him nowhere but angry.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 29. May 18, 17:36

Hank001 wrote:...Count yourself lucky if you're outside this form of "community policing". Otherwise you might find (As it seems a great many of these groups do) that those particularly bad neighbors are suddenly the "law of the land".
And, you must have the Homeowner's Association agreement/covenant restrictions, given to you before you close on the house... else you needen't comply. :) :) That happened to me when I bought a home with covenant restrictions and a homeowner's association. (The realtor was "brand new" and didn't get the papers to me before closing.)

I was president of a homeowner's association, once. I will never, ever, do that again. I thought I was "doing good." You know, helping out, helping people resolve problems, straightening out budgets, making improvements, planning for the future, all that "helping one's neighbors" crap.

No.

A homeowner's association is a tyrannical group who's primary and most vocal members are people who have never had to actually manage an organization or implement any form of policy whatsoever. The primary energy in such organizations comes from people who are dissatisfied with their own lives and they want to share this, constantly, with the group. Any perceived infraction by any homeowner governed by covenant agreements is immediately pounced upon as an excuse to use the most powerful weapons at the organization's disposal. It is not a group of people who are engaging in a common cause, it's a big shiny red button that angry housewives can press whenever they feel ineffectual and ignored in their own personal lives.

I have been asked, repeatedly, to "serve" another homeowner's association. I have restrained myself from shouting loudly and cursing in response... I'm serious. I am a rat, trained in the Skinner Box of the experience of having served such an organization and my immediate reaction is a typical fight or flight response whenever anyone asks me to join a Homeowner's Association board. It's an amazing demonstration of basic conditioning principles.

These things should be outlawed. At the very least, they should be governed by a local government administrator that specializes in arbitration, with a very specific, clockwork-like, set of circumstances coming into play whenever there is a disagreement so that there is no possibility of anyone able to even think about taking advantage of such circumstances for their own personal, selfish, reasons.
mrbadger wrote:I understand it's even possible to be imprisoned for not maintaining your lawn in some places in the US...
Not directly, no. But, for instance, if a judge orders you to comply with the association agreement and you are capable of complying and ignore the judge's order, you could be put in jail for that. ("Contempt of Court" charge.) In the worst case, the county/city can order you to cut your grass and, if you don't, they'll send a crew to do it for you and will charge you for that as well as force you to pay a fine. Continued infractions could result in stiffer penalties.

Private property rights are a "big deal" in the U.S. Instead of "Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness" line in our Declaration of Independence from "you know who" it was going to be "Life, Liberty, and the Private Ownership of Property" or some such.

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 29. May 18, 18:20

Morkonan testified:
No.

A homeowner's association is a tyrannical group...
AMEN BROTHER!

Only mrbadger is right too. It depends on who "rounds up the posse" as to how they are empowered and by whom. Most of the worst are outside of a city and formed up under a laxer county law system which is where "community policing" comes in. I know from exeperience what this did to one of my siblings when they lived in the suburbs of Denton Texas. That group of suburban potentates hired their own rent-a-cop police force that did their bidding. Yep. Stuck right into the suburban hell of..(Dramatic doom downbeat here...:skull: Bwa Booom ) A "Gated Community". Fortunately they escaped somewhat unscathed, but more the wiser. Note this type of "community policing" within "gated communities" took a hit in some places after the whole Travon Martin thing in Florida. Granted some of these groups might be okay, but most devolve into nightmares. One such in Missouri was on the news recently for fining a resident $1000 for painting his house "purple". I was gray, the paint said gray and didn't look purple. I never heard where that led, but it's indicativeof the usual output of said "Homeowner's" groups gone horribly wrong.
MIND THE GAP

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 29. May 18, 18:40

Hank001 wrote:...I never heard where that led, but it's indicativeof the usual output of said "Homeowner's" groups gone horribly wrong.
I wonder if this social/psychological experiment could be conducted:

Hand a group of people a list of "rules." Allow that group to elect a few members to lead the group, make decisions, and enforce the rules.

What will they do?

Prediction - Without a clear and defined goal that has the support of the entire group, they will simply proceed to look for infractions against the rules. When they aren't evident, they will look more deeply. If there is still no evidence of infraction, they will begin to use intrusive methods to ferret out any possibility of infraction, including violating common cultural custom, simply because they have nothing better to do with their $@%@$ time! :)

And, as soon as a possible infraction is discovered, they will bring the full power of the group to bear on the problem in order to punish the person who has violated the rule. No negotiation, no consideration of complicating circumstances or the individual's ability to comply, no mercy...

Surely the Standford Prison Experiment and the Milgram Study have taught us something... But, people refuse to learn.

What ever became of "I'm going to go have a nice chat with my neighbor over a beer so I can talk with them about something that concerns me. Maybe I'll even help them out to fix the problem so it's not so difficult to manage to come to an agreement."

Today, it's "WTF is my neighbor's name, again? I need to write him a nasty letter!"

Hank001
x3ap

Post by Hank001 » Tue, 29. May 18, 18:52

@ Morkonan:

:wink: :thumb_up:
MIND THE GAP

Return to “Off Topic English”