Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

burger1
x3tc

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by burger1 » Sun, 25. Sep 22, 21:20

I wonder what a country wide workers strike in protest would do?

Putin has apparently retreated back to his bunker while sending people off to fight.

https://www.businessinsider.com/photos- ... ort-2022-9

The exodus from Russia continues. Long lines at the borders, sold out flights, etc... Still think setting up a colony in Africa to house escaping Russians isn't the worst idea.

Mir banking transactions being cut by more countries possibly to help with the current large Russian immigration issue. Uzbekistan, Armenia, Vietnam and Kazakhstan. Might not be totally true for all banks.

https://www.reuters.com/business/financ ... 022-09-23/

https://kyivindependent.com/uncategoriz ... -mir-cards

China, India, Chechnya and other countries are distancing themselves from Russia. India's apparently in talks with Saudi Arabia for oil and now buys more from Saudi Arabia than Russia even with Russia's discount.

Russia keeps puling people from critical industries to fight in the war. Airlines, railway workers, etc... Might have an issue with maintaining basic stuff.

US still doing stuff with the Lend Lease Act which apparently will come into effect in just over a week? Don't understand how it's not currently in effect but people keep mentioning that it hasn't started yet?

It looks like Ukraine will be getting some better weapons.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 00:04

When do we expect to see results from the Donbass annexation referendums? If Russia annexes Donbass, will this cause the war to languish into indefinite stalemate? After all, no one wants to attack Russia, even if they (other countries) don't agree with the annexation.

Tamina
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)

Post by Tamina » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 00:35

I guess a lot of people are wondering about Russias long term plans behind the whole war - if there is even one.

Code: Select all

Und wenn ein Forenbösewicht, was Ungezogenes spricht, dann hol' ich meinen Kaktus und der sticht sticht sticht.
  /l、 
゙(゚、 。 7 
 l、゙ ~ヽ   / 
 じしf_, )ノ 

Falcrack
x4

Post by Falcrack » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 03:11

Observe wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 00:04
When do we expect to see results from the Donbass annexation referendums? If Russia annexes Donbass, will this cause the war to languish into indefinite stalemate? After all, no one wants to attack Russia, even if they (other countries) don't agree with the annexation.
The anticipation of how lopsided the Russians will rig the election results in favor of annexation by Russia is almost too much to bear! They'll have to throw in some "no" votes to try and give it some semblance of plausibility, but the real question is, what is the margin of victory they plan to manufacture?

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 03:14

Observe wrote:
Best thing Ukraine can do is completely ignore the referendums and maintain pressure on the Russian invaders.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 04:54

US has already stated that it will attack Russian assets under certain conditions.

I am guessing the Ukrainians are getting better weapons and the battlefield will change in the next few days making it much more difficult for Russia.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 05:08

burger1 wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 04:54
US has already stated that it will attack Russian assets under certain conditions.
What are the conditions under which the US has stated that it will attack Russian "assets" and how can assets not equate to Russian soldiers?

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 06:58

Observe wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 05:08
burger1 wrote:
What are the conditions under which the US has stated that it will attack Russian "assets" and how can assets not equate to Russian soldiers?
Russia using nukes is one. Russian assets like the military base in Crimea and the Black Sea fleet. So yes at Russian military personnel. Aka it will likely start a larger war even though the strikes would be limited vs a full scale strike. US has been sending letters to Putin saying what they would do and now they are in direct talks/threats(?) apparently.

Should Ukraine start military bases in NATO countries to store their stuff and train their troops?

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 08:34

Falcrack wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 03:11
Observe wrote:
The anticipation of how lopsided the Russians will rig the election results in favor of annexation by Russia is almost too much to bear! They'll have to throw in some "no" votes to try and give it some semblance of plausibility, but the real question is, what is the margin of victory they plan to manufacture?
According to TASS reported survey from All-Russian Public Opinion Research Center - 97% in the east of Ukraine are for annexation. In the south, the numbers are far more overwhelming - 87% and 89%. This is ofc a surveyand should be seen as such ... :roll:

Also according TASS regarding referendum - "everything is absolutely legitimate" according to Denis Pushilin, Prime Minister in DPR. His previous lofty work experience is running a ponzi scheme companies (MMM Global) in third world countries, which makes him "uniquely qualified" in determining legality of such things.

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 13:23

Are we closer to nuclear war now than ever before? Makes me wonder with all the rhetoric.
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 15:01

greypanther wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 13:23
Are we closer to nuclear war now than ever before? Makes me wonder with all the rhetoric.
we might be, but why do you wonder now

I have said many moons and pages ago that Putin is planning to use nuclear weapons.

I hope military in the whole world has prepared long ago for this. The worst if it'll come as a surprise.

granted I didn't think so back in February, but the Russian official news have convinced me.

to elaborate just a bit

There's nothing to lose for Putin. He knows he can't lose the war, he won't survive it. The anti Kremlin Russians may use the opportunity, and pro Putin and other fascists will turn on him if he doesn't escalate. He is committed on the last option
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 18:26

Nord Stream 2 had an upsie :)

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 19:15

mr.WHO wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 18:26
Nord Stream 2 had an upsie :)
maybe the operator on Russian side was drafted away

Sovereign01
x4

Post by Sovereign01 » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 20:32

burger1 wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 06:58
Observe wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 05:08
burger1 wrote:
Russia using nukes is one. Russian assets like the military base in Crimea and the Black Sea fleet. So yes at Russian military personnel. Aka it will likely start a larger war even though the strikes would be limited vs a full scale strike. US has been sending letters to Putin saying what they would do and now they are in direct talks/threats(?) apparently.

Should Ukraine start military bases in NATO countries to store their stuff and train their troops?
UK is already doing that, hundreds of new Ukrainian Army recruits are training to liberate Ukraine from the Russian invasion — but they are doing it more than 1,000 miles away in England. They are part of the 10,000 Ukrainian soldiers that the British military has pledged to train within 120 days.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 20:59

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 25. Sep 22, 18:00
Unfortunately with sheer human and material advantage of Russia, Ukraine window to retake the areas occupied since February will become less and less likely.
If they won't retake them before winter, then it will go into stalemate for sure.
now, you are getting a bit more realistic :wink:
now is the time ukraine can make advances and retake territory
if winter arrives and western deliveries keep stagnating at current levels ... then its game over for ukraine
// and europ will be flooded with refugees as russia targets civilian infrastructure

Observe wrote:
this tuesday, referendum is over
this thursday, russias parliament will sit together and decide what to do about the results

by the way:
-- a manager of a german energy company "dared" to accept russias invitation to observe the current referendum process. the very same day, he was fired ...
-- orban wants to hold a "referendum" on russia sanctions ... he wanna be the first who does this in europe .. (thats called "a fair president")
Last edited by JSDD on Mon, 26. Sep 22, 21:06, edited 2 times in total.
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

greypanther
x3ap

Post by greypanther » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 21:02

fiksal wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 15:01
we might be, but why do you wonder now

I have said many moons and pages ago that Putin is planning to use nuclear weapons.

I hope military in the whole world has prepared long ago for this. The worst if it'll come as a surprise.
I do not just wonder now, I stated it early on in this thread. I was shouted down a bit... I would say it was inevitable, right from the start that it would come to this. It was a basic part of Russian/Soviet military training that they would use tactical nuclear weapons on the battle field, was for decades. NATO knew all about this and trained to counter it very extensively. I have no idea if they still do, I would assume so, but without a doubt did during the Cold War. It was assumed the Soviets would be very free with both battlefield nuclear weapons, as well as chemical/nerve agents.

Also, as I said early in the thread, Putin's rhetoric mirrors Hitlers quite closely. Some of Hitler's speeches could be word from word Putin's, just with place names changed etc.The future could be quite bleak if he carries on in that vain.

Now my only question is: How will NATO react, if he does use nuclear weapons? Now it is: How far will Biden go?
Pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space
'Cause there's bugger all down here on Earth

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 21:10

greypanther wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 21:02
Now my only question is: How will NATO react, if he does use nuclear weapons? Now it is: How far will Biden go?
nato already said they dont want the conflict zone spread onto other countries ... they gonna do nothin' (except talking)
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 21:44

JSDD wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 20:59
europ will be flooded with refugees as russia targets civilian infrastructure
JSDD wrote:
Mon, 26. Sep 22, 21:10
nato already said they dont want the conflict zone spread onto other countries ... they gonna do nothin' (except talking)
In other words, you predict that russians will slaughter civilians and NATO will do nothing?

Since there are no "good guys", which of the two is "worse" in that future, in your opinion?

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 22:10

greypanther wrote:

I do not just wonder now, I stated it early on in this thread. I was shouted down a bit...

My apologies then

Someone in NATO and in military around the world should understand it too, even if Biden may not.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Mon, 26. Sep 22, 22:22

greypanther wrote:
It's how the entire world will react *if* it turns nuclear. The UN would be forced to act - probably by removing Russia from the security council and finally being able to implement sanctions at the UN level (ergo, no China/India trade either).

Return to “Off Topic English”