Russia-Ukraine War

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Warenwolf
x4

Re: Russia-Ukraine War

Post by Warenwolf » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 18:51

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 18:43
Warenwolf wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 18:35
First time I heard that claim - sounds like something from reddit or youtube comment. :? :?
Source is Herman Haluszczenko from:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ministry_ ... _(Ukraine)

Just so we are clear - did this guy claim that wind craft and solar power plants are less vulnerable in war (this is what I was wondering about) or is he the one to report on destruction data of solar power plants and wind parks (something I do not doubt about)?

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 19:00

UnknownObject wrote:
fiksal wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 17:30
I wonder what drives that in our psyche, that we have to be the unbeatable empire, versus the alternative, a country with close ties, trade relations, freedom.
Inferiority complex. At heart they think Russia is a loser country compared to the USSR (and yes, 1990s were such a disappointment), so they believe Putin is Making Russia Great Again.
And yet - in my world Russian music, literature, pragmatisms - or the sacrifices during WWII - was / is great. Even besides all the negative [miitary] actions in the world. (which a lot of nations are guilty off) Heck, even by size the country is one of the greatest (biggest) there is.

A shame there wasn't enough self-confidence to avoid the tragedy we have now.

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 19:09

UnknownObject wrote:

I wish to say to everyone we aren't orcs. Most of us are neurotized and afraid people, but not as much differing from other peoples as one could think.
no, not much different. What's happening in Russia under the right conditions can happen anywhere
Gimli wrote:Let the Orcs come as thick as summer-moths round a candle!

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 19:10

Warenwolf wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 18:51
Just so we are clear - did this guy claim that wind craft and solar power plants are less vulnerable in war (this is what I was wondering about) or is he the one to report on destruction data of solar power plants and wind parks (something I do not doubt about)?
No he didn't, he simply publised the dammage percentage stats from my post.

The "less vulnerable" narrative is seen in th press, pushing for green power at every possibly opportunity, which is not only stupid, but dangerous.
As someone pointed out, the devil in in the details - decentralized and diverse power sources are great.
What is irritating is that usually in the press, we see people using this "less vulnerable" narrative, while pushing for those huge centralized mega projects, that are as vulnerable as fossil power plants.

The irony is that so far, nuclear seems to be the safest, coz it's more or less a "hostage situation" - so far even Russians are hesitant to hit them directly
However, I'm fully aware this assumption might bite me sooner or later, coz well we are still trying to figure out the bottom of stupidity of this war)

chew-ie
x4

Post by chew-ie » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 19:14

fiksal wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 19:09
UnknownObject wrote:

I wish to say to everyone we aren't orcs. Most of us are neurotized and afraid people, but not as much differing from other peoples as one could think.
no, not much different. What's happening in Russia under the right conditions can happen anywhere
Indeed. And the "right" conditions are set up as we speak. (Sweden, Italy, east Germany....)

Spoiler
Show
BurnIt: Boron and leaks don't go well together...
Königinnenreich von Boron: Sprich mit deinem Flossenführer
Nila Ti: Folgt mir, ihr Kavalkade von neugierigen Kreaturen!

:idea: Pick your poison seed [for custom gamestarts]
:idea: Feature request: paint jobs on custom starts

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 19:15

chew-ie wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 19:00
UnknownObject wrote:
fiksal wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 17:30
I wonder what drives that in our psyche, that we have to be the unbeatable empire, versus the alternative, a country with close ties, trade relations, freedom.
Inferiority complex. At heart they think Russia is a loser country compared to the USSR (and yes, 1990s were such a disappointment), so they believe Putin is Making Russia Great Again.
And yet - in my world Russian music, literature, pragmatisms - or the sacrifices during WWII - was / is great. Even besides all the negative [miitary] actions in the world. (which a lot of nations are guilty off) Heck, even by size the country is one of the greatest (biggest) there is.

A shame there wasn't enough self-confidence to avoid the tragedy we have now.

unfortunately, literature and science don't run the world, and countries, including Russia.

on WW2 there are interesting things to read from Russia's perspective that are not as well described if you don't dive deep into it yourself.

there are interesting books, and interesting scientific discoveries done by Russian scientists too

and there are things that are hard for Russians to accept, that are illegal to discuss.

for many years Stalin's executions were that, I can tell you maybe more than average Russian about them. Not as much as a historian though. In a personal message perhaps
chew-ie wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 19:14
fiksal wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 19:09
UnknownObject wrote:

Indeed. And the "right" conditions are set up as we speak. (Sweden, Italy, east Germany....)
US too to an extent.

We have to stay proactive / active, political, and not desensitized

UnknownObject
x4

Post by UnknownObject » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 19:38

chew-ie wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 19:00
The same goes for your scientists, philosophers, writers, singers, tech, and most of all - for the disgust to nazism the modern Deutsch people have.

It's shame that the country who was proud to be a Defeater of nazism underwent stages that remotely resemble those of Weimar Germany. Thankfully our country isn't racist, though some commoners blame Jews.

The late USSR was not like this. Though some degree of hypocrisy existed, children were raised in anti-war and anti-racist spirit, and we hoped one day there would be no imperialists, therefore, no wars, and people of the world love each other.
Мир всем народам на свете.
Нам не нужна
Война!

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 20:46

JSDD wrote:
Sat, 22. Oct 22, 23:54
i'm just not comfortable with the fact, that ..
western countries (for example germany) wages a trade war with russia from which our economy suffers heavily ..
and fund the monthly paychecks of those Bssholes who are treating civilians (be it ukrainians or not) like in that video .. without any remorse ..

is this what we are aiming for ?? :gruebel:
So wait, you want the world to stop dealing with Russia entirely - no gas, no oil, nothing - because that's funding the paychecks of those assholes treating civilians so badly.

Right?

I mean... you hate hypocrisy don't you? So you are calling for Russia to be completely isolated. After all, its not traitors to their nation -- it's civilians; it's men, women and children executed, raped, tortured.

Finally, you see the light :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_crime ... of_Ukraine

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 20:47

mr.WHO wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 12:33
EGO_Aut wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 08:26
Yes our economy will suffer heavily,....but we (our leaders) can say "but we are the good boys" (and there is only China left to dominate).
The economy would suffer either way.

At least now both people and politician are aware of the problem and on the road to fix things, without relying on mercy from nutjobs like Putin, Xi or Saudi princes.
China is the same paper tiger like Russia (China has the fasted ageing population on planet and projected to loose 500 milion people by 2060, while having more retiree population than entire US).
Xi is the same as Putin, just with a time lag.
Just like Russia, eventually due to internal problems Xi will fall to a charm of "short victorious war" with Taiwan and he will fail the same way.

The signs are already there, both on China/Xi side as on the Western side (technological sanctions on China, business gradually moving away from China, both US and EU investing in domestic chip production).

The good news is that "The Allies" seem to be aware of impending problems and still have just enough time to prepare for them.
what we'd have to do is to undo "globalization" quite a bit ...
we are way too much dependend on russian resources and chinese (cheap) labour ...
see, the reason why inflation is going through the roof is partly because of china's 0 covid policy ... empty stocks everywhere you look (here i germany at least)
another one is that europe is putting sanctions on 2 of the biggest energy suppliers at once (russia and iran)

if we wanna "stay the course" ... we gotta start doing something about energy prices here AND put tarifs on chinese imported goods
basically, we need a european trump ... (oh! i think actually that guy is kind of german ^^)
not that i like all of his policies, but a "true republican" would bring europe a great benefit ...
unfortunately, in these days "liberalism-on-steroids"-infested europe people and the media would cry/yell "racist" and do everything to prevent exactly that ...

... lets go back to the roots, guys !! :roll:
be a bit more conservative, dont meddle too much in foreign countries (sanctions for example is "meddling", in my view) and dont try to "police" the rest of the world
oh, and quite NATO alliance and tell those Efing americans to Efing leave european soil ... they've had their fun last century !!! .. enough, already ..
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 21:00

Chips wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 20:46
So wait, you want the world to stop dealing with Russia entirely - no gas, no oil, nothing - because that's funding the paychecks of those assholes treating civilians so badly.

Right?
nice try :mrgreen: ...

if both sides of that war are doing crimes against humanity and torture people, why are we supporting one side ?
lets just stop that (ukraine support) and let the dogs go get the ukrainians ... :P just save the money and spend it on mc donalds or so ^^
Last edited by JSDD on Sun, 23. Oct 22, 21:01, edited 1 time in total.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 21:01

JSDD wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 21:00
Chips wrote:

Right?

if both sides of that war are doing crimes against humanity, why are we supporting one side ?
lets just stop that (ukraine support) and let the dogs go get the ukrainians ... :P
Because one side has invaded a sovereign nation; against international law.

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 21:05

Chips wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 21:01
JSDD wrote:
Chips wrote:

Right?

if both sides of that war are doing crimes against humanity, why are we supporting one side ?
lets just stop that (ukraine support) and let the dogs go get the ukrainians ... :P
Because one side has invaded a sovereign nation; against international law.
i dont care, i'd be more "satisied" if we'd stop wasting money in foreign countries to wage war and start giving a once-a-week free ticket for mc-donands (for each eu-citizen)

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 21:16

JSDD wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 21:05
i dont care, i'd be more "satisied" if we'd stop wasting money in foreign countries to wage war and start giving a once-a-week free ticket for mc-donands (for each eu-citizen)
We know.

But while you're shivering this winter during power cuts and shortages of gas supplies while paying premiums due to inflation -- just remember the one waging war is Putin. No-one else.

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 22:25

Meanwhile on Kremlin's RT is further denigrating Ukrainian culture and dehumanizing of their ethnicity -don't click if you don't want to watch grown man suggestion drowning of kids and shooting of people on government television:
https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/stat ... 8145685504

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 22:51

JSDD wrote:
Sun, 23. Oct 22, 20:47
... lets go back to the roots, guys !! :roll:
be a bit more conservative, dont meddle too much in foreign countries (sanctions for example is "meddling", in my view) and dont try to "police" the rest of the world
oh, and quite NATO alliance and tell those Efing americans to Efing leave european soil ... they've had their fun last century !!! .. enough, already ..
1) 20 years of Iraq and Afganistan teached NATO a lesson, so it's safe to assume no one will have "meddling" ideas for next 30-50 years.
2) A reminder, it wasn't Americans who had "fun" and they stay, to be sure there won't be "fun" again. If anything, last few months is a good reminder why they shouldn't leave.

I myself was sleeping better in last months, when I know US Airborn units were deployed to Polish-Belarus-Ukraine border, between ruskies and my home town and family (it hits more after Bucha and Isium).
Having those Raptors and AWACS in the sky is also reassuring.

If you don't want Americans, just point them to us and we will roll the red carpet - they will be welcome and still have close to "fun" guys just in case.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Sun, 23. Oct 22, 23:00, edited 1 time in total.

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 22:59

Russia Today wrote:Just drown those children, drown them [...] Shove them right into those huts and burn them up.
Russia apparently is no longer trying to hide anything. This comment was made by [edit: "RT Director of Broadcasting"(?) I can not confirm this is his position, let us go with presenter instead] Anton Krasovsky.

Here is the video of him saying it: https://twitter.com/JuliaDavisNews/stat ... 8145685504

Here is a corresponding Reuters article: https://www.reuters.com/world/europe/uk ... 022-10-23/

I honestly did not expect them to be so open about their desire for war crimes but here we are.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 23:10

You know what, the only good thing about Putin making grotesque and poor cosplay of Adolf, is that if he fare so bad, he might not end with bullet in the head and ditch of gasoline.

I hope he fail so badly, that he will actually end up safe and sound with trial in Hague.

That would be a proof that humanity improved slightly, comparing to the past.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Sun, 23. Oct 22, 23:43

JSDD wrote:
if both sides of that war are doing crimes against humanity and torture people, why are we supporting one side ?
lets just stop that (ukraine support) and let the dogs go get the ukrainians ... :P just save the money and spend it on mc donalds or so ^^
it's hard to explain empathy and justice to those who have no need of it

it's easier to let murderers go free

UnknownObject
x4

Post by UnknownObject » Mon, 24. Oct 22, 03:12

I confirm this. He said, if a child says Ukraine is occupied by Russians, and if Russians didn't interfere, they would have lived like in France - the kids are to be drowned, despite they're Russian-speaking and of Russian descendancy. Drowned in the very Tysyna river an Ukrainian funeral song is about. Or burn them alive in their spruce-wood houses. That's because he doesn't belong to the intelligentsia and has his own methods.
What a psycho!

His interlocutor, Sergey Lukyanenko, told it's a provocative saying just for effect (they spoke about 1980's kids who, according to Lukyanenko, already called Russians occupants), but nevertheless unethical and extremist.
Мир всем народам на свете.
Нам не нужна
Война!

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Mon, 24. Oct 22, 17:53

Hopefully Ukraine can take back Kherson from the Russian invaders.
-Skinny women look good in clothes, fit women look good naked.

Return to “Off Topic English”