Tsar did a Very Bad Thing

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Wed, 22. Feb 12, 19:26

Jumee wrote:
Tsar_of_Cows wrote:
Samuel Creshal wrote:And how many miles can drive with both full? 50?
Probably about 500 at motorway speeds...
good enough, you dont have to drive it everyday, right? can just hop into it when you feel like it
No, I walk to work so I don't have to drive it, in fact I could probably do away with it, so fuel isn't a major concern. The car is more a hobby than a necessity.

Still I used to drive the XJ (3.2 V8 ) around town when the mood took me. The V12 will stay parked if where I'm going is in walking distance!
StarCrack wrote:is a beautiful car.
whats a Litre of fule cost in the UK?
$1.29.9 p/L here
Cheers!

Petrol is more expensive here due to the ridiculous tax on it. It's about $2 p/L or there abouts (£1.31 p/L at the Petrol station near me today).

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 23. Feb 12, 16:24

I've always wanted to buy a "daft" car like that. Totally impractical, but fun. Looks like a good buy as well. What's the RFL cost?
A flower?

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Sat, 3. Mar 12, 19:59

Messed up my mpg calculations. I averaged at 6mpg not 0.4mpg. That's still pretty damn awful mind.

Old Post:

So... anyone want a Jaguar XJS?

I worked out my combined MPG for the last two weeks. It starts with a 0. Then a decimal point. Then a 4. Yes, that's right, I am currently measuring my efficiency in Gallons Per Mile...

That's an estimate, and probably a lot of it was caused by sitting in traffic for 40 minutes one day, the rest caused by the crap tires (I have replacements I haven't fit yet) the misfire and probably a dirty fuel system. But still!

I might need to invade another planet. Preferably one made entirely of petrol.

Alternatively as nobody wants my XJ V8, I might just get the XJS through it's impending MOT and sell it ASAP.
Last edited by Tsar_of_Cows on Sat, 3. Mar 12, 21:24, edited 1 time in total.

imperium3
x3tc

Post by imperium3 » Sat, 3. Mar 12, 20:40

Tsar_of_Cows wrote:So... anyone want a Jaguar XJS?

I worked out my combined MPG for the last two weeks. It starts with a 0. Then a decimal point. Then a 4. Yes, that's right, I am currently measuring my efficiency in Gallons Per Mile...

That's an estimate, and probably a lot of it was caused by sitting in traffic for 40 minutes one day, the rest caused by the crap tires (I have replacements I haven't fit yet) the misfire and probably a dirty fuel system. But still!

I might need to invade another planet. Preferably one made entirely of petrol.

Alternatively as nobody wants my XJ V8, I might just get the XJS through it's impending MOT and sell it ASAP.
My dad has an XJ6 and an XJS sitting in the garage. He bought them a few years ago on the cheap, waiting for them to eventually go up in price. Damn nice cars they are too, on the few occasions they've actually been driven (just a spin round the meadow to keep everything in working order, as they're not taxed etc for the road).

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Sat, 3. Mar 12, 21:22

imperium3 wrote:
My dad has an XJ6 and an XJS sitting in the garage. He bought them a few years ago on the cheap, waiting for them to eventually go up in price. Damn nice cars they are too, on the few occasions they've actually been driven (just a spin round the meadow to keep everything in working order, as they're not taxed etc for the road).
They are great cars. I'm not sure the XJ6 is going to go very far in terms of price as the "classic" cars tend to be the high performance models rather than just regular saloons. The XJS I think will pick up (one of the reasons I got it): If you look at it's forerunner the E-Type, the prices on a good one of those are already up at the 20,000+ mark which I think will be achievable for the XJS. Although it's not as iconic as the E-Type, it's got a lot of cred to it.

Also the calculations that lead to my previous post were incorrect. The minion responsible has been turned into biofuel.
Last edited by Tsar_of_Cows on Sat, 3. Mar 12, 21:27, edited 2 times in total.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 3. Mar 12, 21:24

Tsar_of_Cows wrote: I worked out my combined MPG for the last two weeks. It starts with a 0. Then a decimal point. Then a 4. Yes, that's right, I am currently measuring my efficiency in Gallons Per Mile...
0.4mpg? Considering the entire fuel tank on an XJS is something like 20 gallons, that would imply you're only getting 8 miles between refills, which I put to you is almost certainly nonsense--methinks you've made a mistake in your calculations somewhere!

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Sat, 3. Mar 12, 22:39

pjknibbs wrote:
Tsar_of_Cows wrote: I worked out my combined MPG for the last two weeks. It starts with a 0. Then a decimal point. Then a 4. Yes, that's right, I am currently measuring my efficiency in Gallons Per Mile...
0.4mpg? Considering the entire fuel tank on an XJS is something like 20 gallons, that would imply you're only getting 8 miles between refills, which I put to you is almost certainly nonsense--methinks you've made a mistake in your calculations somewhere!
Already amended.

I divided the miles done by the litres used and had a slight brain-fart which caused me to think the result was the litres per mile, rather than miles per litre.

Correct value is 6mpg, and that includes sitting in traffic going nowhere.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sat, 3. Mar 12, 23:24

Tsar_of_Cows wrote:I divided the miles done by the litres used and had a slight brain-fart which caused me to think the result was the litres per mile, rather than miles per litre.

I'd heartily recommend Google Calculator for doing any sort of calculations using units - since it carries them through and can automatically convert, etc, it becomes immediately very obvious if you've buggered something up because the units in the output are wrong.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Sat, 3. Mar 12, 23:25

red assassin wrote:
Tsar_of_Cows wrote:I divided the miles done by the litres used and had a slight brain-fart which caused me to think the result was the litres per mile, rather than miles per litre.

I'd heartily recommend Google Calculator for doing any sort of calculations using units - since it carries them through and can automatically convert, etc, it becomes immediately very obvious if you've buggered something up because the units in the output are wrong.
I prefer to try and do these things mentally as far as possible. I'm not great at maths but relying on computers won't help!

In the case of the above I don't think google calculator would have helped unless you can feed it miles done and litres used.

Samuel Creshal
x3tc

Post by Samuel Creshal » Sat, 3. Mar 12, 23:31

red assassin wrote:

Or Wolfram Alpha, which is really nice for these kinds of calculations.

red assassin
x3

Post by red assassin » Sun, 4. Mar 12, 00:38

Tsar_of_Cows wrote:I prefer to try and do these things mentally as far as possible. I'm not great at maths but relying on computers won't help!

In the case of the above I don't think google calculator would have helped unless you can feed it miles done and litres used.
You can. Something like:
100 miles / 75 litres in miles per imperial gallon
will get you exactly what you were looking for.
A still more glorious dawn awaits, not a sunrise, but a galaxy rise, a morning filled with 400 billion suns - the rising of the Milky Way

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Sun, 4. Mar 12, 00:53

Whoa nice tourer man. I heard that it's much easier to find a Jag with V12 than straight 6 engine, is it true? Is your model ready to drive in full splendour or it requires some works here and there?
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 4. Mar 12, 07:30

Tsar_of_Cows wrote: Correct value is 6mpg, and that includes sitting in traffic going nowhere.
Well, that's definitely an improvement, but even then I think you ought to be doing a little better...definitely worth getting that dirty fuel system looked at!

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Sun, 4. Mar 12, 10:41

Sorkvild wrote:Whoa nice tourer man. I heard that it's much easier to find a Jag with V12 than straight 6 engine, is it true? Is your model ready to drive in full splendour or it requires some works here and there?
For an XJS the V12s were all that were available at first. I think with the later models they built more S6 than V12. However, the S6 versions tend to get sold more quickly for obvious reasons, so if you want a V12 there are plenty about. Especially with the Face Lift and Celebration models where they upgraded to the AJ16 engine, and changed the S6 to a 4.0 litre and the V12 to 6.0 litres. There are much more 4.0's about than 6.0's, but both are rare and sell quickly.

For the XJs, it's much easier to find an XJ6 than an XJ12. The XJ12 was basically the very top model and is therefore pretty rare (I think I've only seen one XJ12 in real life).

My car is a just pre-facelift 5.3 V12. It needs a bit of work done, the to-do list is as follows at present:

1: Replace ignition leads and distributor cap to try and sort the misfire.
2: Rear brake discs and pads.
3: handbrake callipers need to be removed and rebuilt.
4: Replace the wheels (I have a spare set with better alloys and tires)
5: Get the central locking fixed as it's... got a personality.
6: Get the speedometer displaying the correct value... either with the replacement display I've got or a replacement diff.

red assassin wrote:
Tsar_of_Cows wrote:I prefer to try and do these things mentally as far as possible. I'm not great at maths but relying on computers won't help!

You can. Something like:
100 miles / 75 litres in miles per imperial gallon
will get you exactly what you were looking for.
Ah nice one, I double checked my figures and it's over 7mpg for imperial gallons and 6mpg for US gallons which matches up with my maths.
pjknibbs wrote:
Tsar_of_Cows wrote: Correct value is 6mpg, and that includes sitting in traffic going nowhere.
Well, that's definitely an improvement, but even then I think you ought to be doing a little better...definitely worth getting that dirty fuel system looked at!
Apparently the thing to do is pour a few bottles of Redex into the tank, remove the air filters and bomb it down the road for 10 miles. That sounds like a good laugh anyway! :D

Return to “Off Topic English”