Euro Gamer DarkStar review Negative to X Universe

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

RoguePhotonic
x2

Post by RoguePhotonic » Sat, 9. Sep 06, 07:01

I finished darkstar one a few days ago and though I enjoyed it I couldn't help but think how lame it is because of how every single sector in the game is the same as you have a trade station and a research station and maybe an asteroid or two and the stations are all the same other than the level of stuff you can buy....there is no system map so no need to explore around.

There is voice acting that stays the same no matter what like when you enter a system sometimes you get random missions like the "you have to help me pirates are after me and I don't stand a chance on my own! damn here they are already" that voice is the same no matter what system or race you encounter...sometimes it will be a female with that male voice.

Once your done there is nothing left to do either...I thought hey maybe i'll go crazy and kill everything in every system like I did in X2 and X3 but it's pointless...within a few kills you have the highest crime rank you can have and police come none stop from the trade station so you can never just destroy them all.....also the stations cannot be destroyed so it's all pretty pointless to do.

Incase your playing and don't know you will not be able to fully upgrade your ship to 10/10/10 you only get 20 upgrades so you better choose what you want now as I did them all even until I found that out when I had 2 upgrades left.

As for the whole game play it's just the same thing again and again....you will have a couple intense battles but pretty much the whole game is very easy.

Trading is just in the game to say it's there as there is no point in doing it....you can earn just as much money doing combat and when you have money there is nothing to do with it but upgrade your ship so when you have done so you earn money for nothing.
If it is to close your eyes that you seek, to
become deaf to the truth, to dismiss the obvious
- then you have succeeded most thoroughly.

DMM
x4

Post by DMM » Sun, 10. Sep 06, 06:15

I have just recentley jumped back into the space sim genere.I first got darkstar one.I had fun with it.Not a bad little game.Considering I have not played a space sim game since Colony wars for ps1 I was really impressed.However I wanted something more.I found that in X3.Darkstar one was a good warm up to get back into the cockpit so to speak.But I soon found that X3 is a superior game in every way.But if you dont like a long drawn out game that takes tons of hours and commitment to play darkstar one is a good starter or "Light" space sim for those who dont want to control an entire empire but just fly around and shoot some bad guys.

avicenna
x3tc

Post by avicenna » Sun, 10. Sep 06, 06:43

You can do that in X3 as well.

Personally, I am not all that interested in creating an empire. It just means that you have to manage it, and for me that is a pain in the butt. I much prefer playing the lone crusader, whether it's as a fighter, trader, explorer or mobile miner I will get in a ship and do all the work myself.

I think you are better off working out what type of game is fun for you and then playing X that way. I like space flight sims (preferably open ended) and play X that way. I am not that interested in empire building sims so I ignore that aspect of the game.

Return to “Off Topic English”