Atlantis Canned

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Atlantis Canned

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 04:26

Gha! That sucks. Season 5 had a few bad episodes but it was picking up. Will be going the same way as SG1 though, with movies. The two SG1 movies have been good so far and Atlantis's original big wigs are taking the helm again for it. Should be cool. Stargate Universe is on the way too hopefully.

linky

One thing I've always found odd over the 5 years of Atlantis is the way the cast has changed. It was a good in a way as it made Atlantis a more 'dangerous' show than SG1. Bah, my mum isn't going to be happy. :roll:
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Harlock776
x2

bout time

Post by Harlock776 » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 05:31

I've been bored with atlantis for some time now, recent episodes have been more and more lame especially since they put woolsey in charge. Dumping what was left of whatshername and replicator friends into open space was stupid. They either did this to finally kill off the replicators as a plot device or they did this to make them into a very angry enemy plot device later on. That parallel universe borg wannabe enemy was interesing, it made me think that maybe the wraith and the replicators had joined forces to make those guys lol but I guess we might not find out now.

Perhaps the show would have lasted longer though if the humans didn't finish off enemies that were more powerful than themselves at such a quick rate. They could have dragged out many extra episodes from just keeping some enemies alive longer but not the wraith lol they were so overdone just like the gould.

Wehn they got rid of oneill and the azgard that just killed the show for me anyways. They turned carter into a real hardarse and ronin becaome some kind of wuss.
Our mighty sovereign may she always go before us sailing brightly in the sea of black.

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 10:43

Damm this means another quick fix in a two hour movie like with the ori.
I just hope they put stargate universe on a different network.
scifi only want to get the 100 episode and then cancels the show.
With sg1 they couldn't do it since the 100 episode aired on a different network so they did it with the 200 episode.
The movies are good but a bit rushed for my taste like continuum it could have easily lasted an hour longer.
Now i was like one hour and a half you can't interfere with our timeline you are forbinen form ever seeing each other again.
Fast forward one year there baal a cool cgi shot with f15 baal is dead and we are reversing the damage he did.

Lite
x3

Post by Lite » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 13:08

:o ****

DrCBVI
x2

Post by DrCBVI » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 15:44

I know why Sci-Fi cancelled Atlantis: because it takes place in another galaxy, it's much harder to have product placement...

(See: Eureka as Brought To You By Degree For Men, or as Greg Dean termed it, Degreeka).
"I always loved saying 'space time condominium'." - Patrick Stewart.

Harlock776
x2

eureka

Post by Harlock776 » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 18:40

I hate that eureka show it's so boring. I actually passed out watching it a while back, reminds me of how boring andromeda was until there were TWO hot chicks on there instead of just one.
Our mighty sovereign may she always go before us sailing brightly in the sea of black.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 19:54

I found Atlantis ever more tedious to be honest. Better now than before it gets really bad.

As this is the end of the SG franchise, maybe they could just kill everyone and sink the city, whilst the Wraith feed on Earth.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 20:12

While I have enjoyed what I have watched, the show never had the ablity to keep me watching. It was just so hard to care about what was going to happen next. but I always thought it was good.

All well.

DrCBVI
x2

Post by DrCBVI » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 20:19

The_Abyss wrote:I found Atlantis ever more tedious to be honest. Better now than before it gets really bad.

As this is the end of the SG franchise, maybe they could just kill everyone and sink the city, whilst the Wraith feed on Earth.
Man, that's the one thing that SG would never, ever do.

I mean, while I quite enjoy watching it, it really is/was the safest sci-fi show on TV. No-one stays dead, unless they're having a Very Special Episode; there's not even a pretense that the good guys won't win and inexplicably, they keep changing whoever is in charge of Atlantis. It's been what? One recast (SG-1 Weir vs. SG-A Weir) and two other changes?

Come to think of it, the most exciting SG-1 episodes have been ones where there's been alternate timelines/dimensions/whatever where everything actually is going to hell.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 21:39

The_Abyss wrote:As this is the end of the SG franchise, maybe they could just kill everyone and sink the city, whilst the Wraith feed on Earth.
hmmm i think that unlikely especially since it's NOT the end of the franchise. Bad luck. :) There's at least one Atlantis TV movie being made, probably some more SG1 movies, since the first two have apprently done rather well and another new TV show Stargate: Universe in the works.

Welcome to Gate trek :)

Harlock776
x2

movies

Post by Harlock776 » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 22:22

Do we really call those movies or a two parter episode? Where is the movie quality acting and set design not to mention budget etc. Reminds me of that episode of sg-1 where they did all kinds of crazy stuff including make fun of themselves again with that worm hole xtreme stuff lol.

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 22:48

TV movie is the operative phrase. Emphasis on the TV part. Considerably More budget then your average TV show episodes (which shows) but considerably less budget then a cinematic release (which also shows)

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Thu, 21. Aug 08, 23:36

Boo Hoo? :|

I dunno, SG was always about my least favourite Sci-Fi, every episode had way way too much talking and fake-science, and not enough explosions.

That makes me sound a bit thick (which isn't entirely inaccurate), but seriously I watch TV to be entertained, so that to me either means the right mix of action and storyline to make things interesting (see Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex, series 2) or making it very funny (see Family Guy, South Park, Red Dwarf... etc.). SG seemed to me to just be entirely dialog with little substance behind that dialog - the stories tended to be a little simplistic and run-of-the-mill, the characters were pretty much run-of-the-mill and the political interplays were fairly simplistic too.

I didn't really have a great overview of it though, I only saw maybe 7 or 8 episodes, so maybe I only saw terrible episodes (wouldn't be the first time: I thought Scrubs was awful because I saw what must be the single bad episode of it ever and then refused to watch it - only recently to see how wrong I was).

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Fri, 22. Aug 08, 02:48

Hmm, it was an interesting watch once in a while.

Gogo Firefly or B5 revival. Esp B5, where there was real story and things changed. Yeah right :roll:
[ external image ]
The end of a trilogy does not mean an end to a series.
| Vanilla with strawberries? [List of Vanilla safe mods.] | Tired of the plots? [Plot Skipper Tool v0.5] |
| X3: R & TC Minimaps |

Harlock776
x2

bugs

Post by Harlock776 » Fri, 22. Aug 08, 05:13

I especially liked the episode where sg1 had to secort those various diplomats to a research site for a tour where some hack was feeding these bugs in a cage some of his sandwich and they eventually busted out and consumed everyone lol. That was a good episode because if they didn't get picked up by the ship it would have been the main course for those bugs:-)

Everyones Antihero
x3

Post by Everyones Antihero » Fri, 22. Aug 08, 06:55

SG1 was great until O'niell left, it went south big time after that, i hated the Ori episodes and Ark of Truth was rubbish.

Conundrum was much better back to the 'proper' SG1 baddies the brilliant Goa'uld and Baal.

I like Cameron Mitchell a little his humour was dry and ironic like O'Niell's but Vala has to be the most pointless and thoroughly irritating character in a sci-fi show. The actress who played her was brilliant as the dark and moody Aryn-Sun from Farscape but i seriously hated Vala.

Atlantis i watched the first couple of seasons but i felt the same way, it just felt like a ST cash-in, i had no sympathy to any of the characters at all. It just reminded me of an Andromeda rip-off and i'm being generous.

Stargate should have ended with Oniell leaving.
My Artwork show reel:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X5R1J-_Byek
My website, click gallery for art:
http://www.richarddaborn.co.uk

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Fri, 22. Aug 08, 09:17

DrCBVI wrote:I know why Sci-Fi cancelled Atlantis: because it takes place in another galaxy, it's much harder to have product placement...

(See: Eureka as Brought To You By Degree For Men, or as Greg Dean termed it, Degreeka).
Well they managed to get their Evian water product placement the other day. It was physically painfull to watch as Weir took long slow drinks from the bottle. Then they moved to a romantic view of the ocean, and she took her bottle with her, then had some more long slow drinks. The whole mess hall filled with Evian bottles. And you just know they throw them over the side when they are finished with them.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

Lorien
x3

Post by Lorien » Fri, 22. Aug 08, 19:35

DrCBVI wrote:I know why Sci-Fi cancelled Atlantis: because it takes place in another galaxy, it's much harder to have product placement...

I've not seen the new episodes yet and now thanks to Mr Dean, all I'm going to be seeing is these products - whatever the hell they are. :roll:
Things I've procrastinated on...

DrCBVI
x2

Post by DrCBVI » Fri, 22. Aug 08, 20:09

Lorien wrote:

I've not seen the new episodes yet and now thanks to Mr Dean, all I'm going to be seeing is these products - whatever the hell they are. :roll:
Oh, it would be all you would be seeing anyway. There's one scene where, for no real reason at all, they point to an extra and switch a button. A huge Degree logo appears on his back. End scene.

There's an episode where there's a slightly lingering shot on Degree shaving foam, I think it was. That was fine, I guess. I mean, it was still very apparent that the show was saying 'Buy This!', but not as intrusive.

... Until the same clip gets used four times within 20 minutes...

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Fri, 22. Aug 08, 22:29

Well like i mentioned earlier in the thread another stargate tv show was in development and it seems no sooner does one stargate show kick the bucket, then another starts- Stargate universe have just been greenlit to premiere next year:http://www.gateworld.net/news/2008/08/i ... a_go.shtml

Bit worried about this one though. The concept sounds uncomfortably like a cross between star trek voyager and Space 1999. Not the healthiest pedigree in my opinion.
Last edited by Nyax on Sat, 23. Aug 08, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Off Topic English”