strange random noise in speakers

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

fiksal
x4

strange random noise in speakers

Post by fiksal » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 04:45

I've asked this question before, but now it seems a bit different.

First time it happened, I thought it was my sound card, and buying a Creative sound board did help that issue. The crackling noise is back however, on a new computer.

What's different this time. It's rather loud, lasts about 1-2 min and usually seems to happen in the evening at random time(s).

During one of the crackling episodes I tried both disconnecting the three output wires from PC that go into my sub (it's a 5.1 system) as well as disconnecting the power cord and plugging into another outlet.

What I learned is - outlets dont matter, and the noise stays even if sound cables are unplugged.

So... any advices?

Are the cables acting as antennas? Is something wrong with the sub now?
If it's the antenna thing, what can help with that? I dont suppose electrical tape does anything at all, does it?
Last edited by fiksal on Mon, 12. Dec 11, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 04:48

I remember my friend saying that they could hear all kinds of stuff coming from speakers even if they were unplugged because of a nearby radio transmitter. I myself have heard some faint speaking coming though while I'm on the PC.
Crackling though could well be the power supply having a hickup. I expect speakers are one of the easiest devices to notice it on.
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 04:52

Xenon_Slayer wrote:I remember my friend saying that they could hear all kinds of stuff coming from speakers even if they were unplugged because of a nearby radio transmitter. I myself have heard some faint speaking coming though while I'm on the PC.
Crackling though could well be the power supply having a hickup. I expect speakers are one of the easiest devices to notice it on.
Power supply of the PC or whatever's in the sub?
The power supply in PC is pretty beefy. And the noise is still there when Sub is plugged into different wall outlet.

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 04:58

Could be a bad connection or some sort of short.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 06:13

Have you tried if it happens on headphones? then you could know if it's passed in the signal or originating in the speakers.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 06:18

X2-Eliah wrote:Have you tried if it happens on headphones? then you could know if it's passed in the signal or originating in the speakers.
hard to catch it sometimes,
last I had the problem similar to this, I didnt hear it in headphone speakers, but I'll try to test this again.

small update:

nearby dryer after it finishes does a weird series of short noises, that too get picked up by speakers as crackling static. That noise is very short however

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 06:33

This
Xenon_Slayer wrote:I remember my friend saying that they could hear all kinds of stuff coming from speakers even if they were unplugged because of a nearby radio transmitter.
and this
fiksal wrote:nearby dryer after it finishes does a weird series of short noises, that too get picked up by speakers as crackling static.
should not happen in a non-haunted house :shock:

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 06:47

Oh, well then there's no mystery. I bet it happens just at the time when the snake-headed alien overlords fly over your house, causing electromagnostatic interference from their ionized maglev spacetrain.

Seriously though.. Could be your speakers are just plain not monitored properly and pick up EM field changes. (or was it ES field? can never recall)

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 06:52

X2-Eliah wrote:Seriously though.. Could be your speakers are just plain not monitored properly and pick up EM field changes. (or was it ES field? can never recall)
alright, how do I check for that?

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 07:02

Use different speakers, or better yet headphones/earbuds, for a day or two instead :P

amtct
x3ap

Post by amtct » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 07:18

X2-Eliah wrote:Use different speakers, or better yet headphones/earbuds, for a day or two instead :P
Call a priest ...no ,better call the pope and a priest *.That house is haunted.
Have you thought to open the window?Some spirits like to exit the window :roll:

*Just in case there are kids on your street when you call the pope you should also call a priest ....you never know when a blind date can ruin your "remove the spirit from my house" program :twisted: :mrgreen:

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 07:26

fiksal wrote:
X2-Eliah wrote:Have you tried if it happens on headphones? then you could know if it's passed in the signal or originating in the speakers.
hard to catch it sometimes,
last I had the problem similar to this, I didnt hear it in headphone speakers, but I'll try to test this again.

small update:

nearby dryer after it finishes does a weird series of short noises, that too get picked up by speakers as crackling static. That noise is very short however
Sounds like you have a shielding problem with your speakers, their cords or maybe even the dryer. :D

Do you have very long cables for your speakers? Try using shorter ones or take up the slack in them and put a rubber-band around the resulting bundle. You might also want to double-check to be sure your dryer doesn't need servicing.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 08:31

Xenon_Slayer wrote:I remember my friend saying that they could hear all kinds of stuff coming from speakers even if they were unplugged because of a nearby radio transmitter. I myself have heard some faint speaking coming though while I'm on the PC.
Faint russian speaking here, from cheap Logitech 5.1. Have changed speakers (and soundcard) since.

I tried Auzentech Forte that was broken with those 5.1. Continuous crackles. Eventually I had just the Forte on my desk -- not in PC -- and plugging speakers started the noise (so no power in card, just in the speakers). Shorting to ground on the connectors of the card, it was.

Winter Dragon
x3tc

Post by Winter Dragon » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 14:38

If you have a microphone connected to the computer, make sure it's muted in the sound controls or push to talk. I know it seems like one of those 'no-brainers' one always checks, but that happened to me last year.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 19:53

I'll try tie the wires up, they are indeed quite long.

Winter Dragon wrote:If you have a microphone connected to the computer, make sure it's muted in the sound controls or push to talk. I know it seems like one of those 'no-brainers' one always checks, but that happened to me last year.
I have the crackling noise when speakers arent connected to the PC at all

jlehtone wrote:
Faint russian speaking here, from cheap Logitech 5.1. Have changed speakers (and soundcard) since.

I tried Auzentech Forte that was broken with those 5.1. Continuous crackles. Eventually I had just the Forte on my desk -- not in PC -- and plugging speakers started the noise (so no power in card, just in the speakers). Shorting to ground on the connectors of the card, it was.
Faint Russian? nice :)

xeon_1
x4

Post by xeon_1 » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 20:01

fiksal wrote:I'll try tie the wires up, they are indeed quite long.

Winter Dragon wrote:If you have a microphone connected to the computer, make sure it's muted in the sound controls or push to talk. I know it seems like one of those 'no-brainers' one always checks, but that happened to me last year.
I have the crackling noise when speakers arent connected to the PC at all
Then its probaly something to do with the power supply and or power circuitry in the subwoofer.
best case just replace the powersupply
Worst case need a new print board in the subwoofer are replace/resolder the guilty component.

bobxii
x3tc

Post by bobxii » Mon, 12. Dec 11, 23:27

What you've got is a crappy power signal (like, the wall outlet) combined with a poor power input filtering setup on your speaker system. The dryer thing and the fact that the system works most of the time pretty much confirms this - other devices on your electrical loop are dumping harmonics into the line, and it's getting pushed onto the power rails of your speaker system and coming out as crazy static sounds (the sound is ELF harmonics fed into amplification circuitry the wrong way - a digital clipping/overdriven sound).

If you want to fix it, look into a power conditioning device (typically used for high-end sound devices, ironically), or hunt down the device that's causing the issue. If I were you, I'd hunt around for high-power gas-discharge lamps, such as those used in security lighting (typically come on in the evening, yes?). Worn out magnetic ballasts are known to produce massive amounts of wideband noise when they turn on - it drives amateur radio guys nuts.

Honestly, I'd be suspicious of a neighbor growing marijuana using grow lamps (aka gas discharge), due to the regularity and timing of the noise - possibly using your electricity! It wouldn't be the first time somebody's equipment interfered with the electrical grid.

*edit* fed into...
Last edited by bobxii on Tue, 13. Dec 11, 03:00, edited 1 time in total.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 13. Dec 11, 02:46

bobxii wrote:What you've got is a crappy power signal (like, the wall outlet) combined with a poor power input filtering setup on your speaker system. The dryer thing and the fact that the system works most of the time pretty much confirms this - other devices on your electrical loop are dumping harmonics into the line, and it's getting pushed onto the power rails of your speaker system and coming out as crazy static sounds (the sound is ELF harmonics fed amplification circuitry the wrong way - a digital clipping/overdriven sound).

If you want to fix it, look into a power conditioning device (typically used for high-end sound devices, ironically), or hunt down the device that's causing the issue. If I were you, I'd hunt around for high-power gas-discharge lamps, such as those used in security lighting (typically come on in the evening, yes?). Worn out magnetic ballasts are known to produce massive amounts of wideband noise when they turn on - it drives amateur radio guys nuts.

Honestly, I'd be suspicious of a neighbor growing marijuana using grow lamps (aka gas discharge), due to the regularity and timing of the noise - possibly using your electricity! It wouldn't be the first time somebody's equipment interfered with the electrical grid.
Excellent post and after I read it, I agree it's the most likely cause of the problem!

Outstanding diagnosis! ++!!

X2-Eliah
x4

Post by X2-Eliah » Tue, 13. Dec 11, 06:29

Does that even apply if there is a computer (psu, cpu, motherboard etc.) inbetween the outlet<->speakers chain?

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Tue, 13. Dec 11, 06:48

Yes it can . You want to put the power conditinor before the computer and the speaker if those are powered .

You can get decent and not tooooo one expensive from music stores .

There should be a Guitar center where your at .

Best would be to get an isolation transformer before the computer .

Isolation transformers offer complete line isolation, continuous noise filtering and enhanced common mode surge suppression.

Return to “Off Topic English”