Windows 8

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dathion
x3

Windows 8

Post by dathion » Sat, 6. Oct 12, 22:33

Just want to know if anyone used it and if so what do you think about it.

1. how well do games work? any CTD issues?

1. any driver issues?

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sat, 6. Oct 12, 23:19

I've tried it briefly. I have it free through my MSDN membership.
I think Metro is a mistake. Not for Tablets, but as a PC interface I don't like it.
It wouldn't be the first time an initial release of a Microsoft OS is flawed, they may yet sort it out.
I really like Windows 7, so I'm sticking with that.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 00:04

There's been all kinds of shouting by people on Twitter. Notch has publicly expressed his dislike at Windows 8.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 00:21

It's not just Notch, ahaha. People with a LOT of weight when it comes to PCs have expressed their hate of it, including Gabe. Yes, that's right, Evil Overlord Steam hates Win8 as well.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

Rabiator der II.
x3ap

Post by Rabiator der II. » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 00:26

EmperorJon wrote:It's not just Notch, ahaha. People with a LOT of weight when it comes to PCs have expressed their hate of it, including Gabe. Yes, that's right, Evil Overlord Steam hates Win8 as well.
That may be more due to the fact that Microsoft is building an Apple-like App Store. Which is the one thing that could dethrone Steam as the most successful digital distribution system on Windows, as Microsoft could give it a really preferred position in the user interface :wink: .

Samuel Creshal
x3tc

Post by Samuel Creshal » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 00:31

Rabiator der II. wrote:
EmperorJon wrote:It's not just Notch, ahaha. People with a LOT of weight when it comes to PCs have expressed their hate of it, including Gabe. Yes, that's right, Evil Overlord Steam hates Win8 as well.
That may be more due to the fact that Microsoft is building an Apple-like App Store. Which is the one thing that could dethrone Steam as the most successful digital distribution system on Windows, as Microsoft could give it a really preferred position in the user interface :wink: .
Do you want that? Do you really want to have a walled garden like Apple has with Mac/i OS? :roll:

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 00:40

Yes, that's the issue. The moment Microsoft say "You can only buy what WE want you to and from OUR store." I'll be moving to a Linux version as my main OS and using WINE for my Windows games.
______
I'm Jon. I'm mostly not around any more. If you want to talk, please message me! It's cool.
______

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 00:48

They already tried forcing the free version of visual studio to allow only Metro Application creation, and they had to back away from that.

You just can't enforce developing for a single platform onto nascent developers. I don't know who came up with that idea, marketing bods probably...
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

EmperorJon
x3tc

Post by EmperorJon » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 01:15

It's my personal opinion that the free version of Visual Studio is pretty bad anyway.
______
______

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 01:25

Rabiator der II. wrote:That may be more due to the fact that Microsoft is building an Apple-like App Store. Which is the one thing that could dethrone Steam as the most successful digital distribution system on Windows, as Microsoft could give it a really preferred position in the user interface :wink: .
Seems like a repeat of the IE fiasco is in the offing. I forsee years of court actions between the EU and Microsoft, eventually resulting in microsoft being forced to have an option to make the app store less obvious in european versions of windows, or provide shortcuts to steam, Origin, and anything else that's very big at the time.
mrbadger wrote:Anyway, it's Star Wars, this is important....

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 01:49

The big main problem will be it will add another 15% at least onto the price of games and other apps, as microsoft will be wanting that for allowing the software to use their OS. Eventually there will be no more free software, there will be no more cheap game sales, While the small indie game company's will struggle to get their games out to the masses.

If any gamer is going to stick win 8 onto their computer, they have to be more than a little bit thick/stupid, but then again there are more than a few of them out there.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 01:58

I am usually a massive Microsoft fanboi.

Not touching this rubbish. It's a natural progression since Apple have shown that people will accept this sort of "control" over their devices and products, but I can't support it or accept it. If I move off of Win7, it will be to SteamOS or Ubuntu full time, depending how SteamOS works out or if it indeed ever comes out (might end up being worse then Win8 for all we know, Steam itself is pretty bad as it is).

dathion
x3

Post by dathion » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 03:16

I had to ask because all I use my PC for is gaming and movie's that's about it. so I wanted other Gamers thoughts I generally wait till there are a lot of reviews before I choose a new OS upgrade, but most of the reviews contradict one another and it makes it very confusing.

thanks for the replies :wink:

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 08:59

dathion wrote:I had to ask because all I use my PC for is gaming and movie's that's about it.
Well, look at it the other way round, then--if that's all you do with your PC, what benefits do you get from upgrading to Windows 8? Sod all, is the answer, apart from a nebulous and by no means certain plan Microsoft has to get some XBox games to run directly on Windows.

Samuel Creshal
x3tc

Post by Samuel Creshal » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 09:13

pjknibbs wrote:
dathion wrote:I had to ask because all I use my PC for is gaming and movie's that's about it.
Well, look at it the other way round, then--if that's all you do with your PC, what benefits do you get from upgrading to Windows 8? Sod all, is the answer, apart from a nebulous and by no means certain plan Microsoft has to get some XBox games to run directly on Windows.
Wasn't there also the plan to bump the DirectX version yet again?

Not that I so far managed to see any difference between 9, 10 and 11 outside of artificial tech demos …

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 12:17

Right now Windows is the only OS without a built in software marketplace, so it could do with one.

They didn't have to copy the Apple version though, the Linux model is far better.

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 12:34

I'm not sure what that means.

If it means what I think it does, I have to ask the question why does it need one? It sounds like protectionism.

Back in the days of the Spectrum,C64, Amiga etc. You didn't have this. You just went down the high street and bought what you needed in that now apparently obsolete building that they used to call a shop.

Or if you lived in a village you ordered mail order. Nowadays you can purchase online from Amazon or a large range of online retailers. There's no need whatsoever to have Microsoft act as a Wallmart to the exclusion of all other retailers. It might benefit them in the short term, but IMO it would actually make things worse for them. People don't like monopolies and protectionism. At least I don't. If someone tried to force me to shop with them it would make me more likely to avoid them like the plaque.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 13:15

On Apple systems it means a closed and controlled ecosystem which can be relied upon to be safe for non techie users.
On Linux it means an ocean of applications ready to install on demand, both open source and proprietary.

Mostly it means convenience. Web based delivery is the best method to obtain new software these days. The only remaining problem is artificial restrictions imposed by software publishers (EA....)

The shelfware era of software is dying, and rightly so. It's no longer the case that it is acceptable to wait until you can get to the shop before you can use a piece of software you need.
Online purchasing of boxed versions still has a place, but again this doesn't involve having to wait until the shop is open and hoping they have it on the aforementioned shelf.

That said, it looks like Microsoft have cocked up their first try...

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 15:24

Personally I don't like web based delivery as a general thing. Patches and stuff are different - I can see the need for the web there, but for initial install I still prefer a disc and box. I also like a nice printed manual. If the installation mucks up you've still got the disc and can go again. I know this older method increases costs, but it's still more convenient for me the customer.

Maybe when we've all got this lightning fast uncapped broadband they've been talking about for years I might change my mind but until then I prefer the traditional method.

(BTW before this gets moved to a certain other thread this has got nothing to do with S***M It's just a general preference for boxed s/w)

notaterran
x3tc

Post by notaterran » Sun, 7. Oct 12, 16:44

No way in Hell I'm using Win8. Why would I want a mobile interface in the desktop? I recently bought Win7 (Vista upgrade) and I've gotten a lot of work done.

Return to “Off Topic English”