Elite: Dangerous (continued)

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Mon, 14. Dec 15, 01:41

Mightysword wrote:. ... maybe condensing is the wrong word, ..
It probably is, I had to re-read your post to try and figure it out started to wonder if your computer/devices auto spell correction was messing you about, did you mean 'condescending' ?

RichardDaborn
x3tc

Post by RichardDaborn » Tue, 15. Dec 15, 21:57

LOL people are still playing X games.

ELITE:Dangerous forever baby! :D

(The artist fromally RustiSwordz) :D

happy Xmas. :D
http://rdaborn.tumblr.com/
Sci-fi Artwork website.

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Thu, 17. Dec 15, 00:02

Can someone enlighten me why I got a 8.1 GB update queued?

Not got the expansion (not for that price anyway).

MFG

Ketraar

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Thu, 17. Dec 15, 00:08

Might be a 64 bit client for the base game.

On my launcher there are now three options

Elite Dangerous: Horizons [64 Bit]
Elite Dangerous [32 Bit]
Elite Dangerous [64 Bit]

To me it seems a bit odd since the base game doesn't need 64 bit and 64 bit is rather more memory hungry. Otoh I suppose it might run faster on some machines.

Aken_Bosch
Moderator (Italiano)
Moderator (Italiano)
x4

Post by Aken_Bosch » Thu, 17. Dec 15, 00:21

That 8.1 GB update yesterday was quite the unexpected (and unwanted) surprise...I supposed we poor space peasants had to take onboard even all the Horizons content, wether we opted for it or not?

Had a little of buzzing around with 1.5 today...found some new nice things in the UI (amongst them, distances from mission objectives in the BBS, and rank levels percentages finally visible), I've flown past a couple Keelbacks and I like it very much (I still didn't see the stats for it though)....but why in the galaxy they had to remove that awesome thumping sound from the succesfull cannon shots, I can not understand :( ...matter of tastes, I know :roll: ...

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Thu, 17. Dec 15, 00:43

brucewarren wrote:Might be a 64 bit client for 1.5

On my launcher there are now three options

32 bit
64 bit
and 64 bit horizons.

To me it seems a bit odd since 1.5 doesn't need 64 bit and 64 is rather more memory hungry. Otoh I suppose it might run faster on some machines.
After installing the new current launcher....
I had those 3 show up after installing the 1st download (my 1st computer), but my only choice was the 32bit...clicked on 64bit but it said not available or something, (so I chose 32bit). Then I installed the download on my other (2nd) computer, this time it gave me 32bit and 64bit choices...so I chose the 64bit, which it installed.

Then, on booting up the game on the FIRST computer it came up with 32bit or 64 bit on the play icon screen...clicked on 64bit and the game (eventually) booted up. :?

It does say at the top of the launcher now that if you have 32bit and 64bit showing then they advise you to choose 64bit.
Horizons 64 bit did show up initially, but I don't have Horizons at the moment, so obviously I didn't click on it.
So...I've eventually got ED on both computers running on the 64bit installation. :roll: with the 1.5 update...which yeah, includes the planet suite, but of course with 1.5 it's not fully functional.
Edit...oh...and there are plenty of minor bugs, the galaxy map has some, and the trade drop off missions are a bit thin on the ground.
I've gone back to basic trading for now until stuffs sorted out. :wink:
NPC ships (pirates) have been 'tweaked' again....oh the pain...the pain *Doctor Smith*. :)
RichardDaborn wrote:....ELITE:Dangerous forever baby! :D...
happy Xmas. :D
Hi Rusti... :D

Fixed that for you....Elite Dangerous forever updating & Tweaking (and messing up my game baby!)

And a Happy Christmas to you too! :D :thumb_up:

Oldman :)

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Thu, 17. Dec 15, 09:49

brucewarren wrote: To me it seems a bit odd since the base game doesn't need 64 bit and 64 bit is rather more memory hungry. Otoh I suppose it might run faster on some machines.
No it wont, but forum was full of clueless people claiming it will :) Truth is the game is already using 64 bit instruction set and the only thing that changes with 64 bit is increased memory footprint because some thing suddenly become twice the size. Actually, 64 bit version seems to be 2.0 and 32 bit claims it is 1.5. I would not be surprised if 64 bit is just the same as horizons with some paywalls, likely server side.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Thu, 17. Dec 15, 15:35

kurush wrote:
brucewarren wrote: To me it seems a bit odd since the base game doesn't need 64 bit and 64 bit is rather more memory hungry. Otoh I suppose it might run faster on some machines.
No it wont, but forum was full of clueless people claiming it will :) Truth is the game is already using 64 bit instruction set and the only thing that changes with 64 bit is increased memory footprint because some thing suddenly become twice the size. Actually, 64 bit version seems to be 2.0 and 32 bit claims it is 1.5. I would not be surprised if 64 bit is just the same as horizons with some paywalls, likely server side.
The two 64bits are the same. There is only one install - the 1.5 64bit uses the Horizons code as I understand it.
A flower?

daniel001
x4

Post by daniel001 » Thu, 17. Dec 15, 15:41

Well, Horizons and Vanilla still share the same Playground, so the download is understandable. Even Vanilla-Gamers need the assetts on their Drives so they can be shown when they encounter a Horizons Gamer.

Not having much fun with the game outside of CQC, thb.
Its still lacking to much depth and some shit like the lack of autopilot are turbo-annoying.

Sorkvild
x3tc

Post by Sorkvild » Thu, 17. Dec 15, 18:11

Is Horizons a separate game on Steam?
Elite Dangerous| I survived the Dragon Incident ... then I took an arrow to the knee
We want the Boron back!

kurush
x3tc

Post by kurush » Thu, 17. Dec 15, 18:27

Redvers Ganderpoke wrote: The two 64bits are the same. There is only one install - the 1.5 64bit uses the Horizons code as I understand it.
More accurate would be to say that there is no 1.5 64 bit. If you download 64 bit, the game says it is 2.0.

Corbet

Post by Corbet » Thu, 17. Dec 15, 18:39

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Thu, 17. Dec 15, 20:03

Sorkvild wrote:Is Horizons a separate game on Steam?

Not in my Library it isn't

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Sat, 19. Dec 15, 09:31

1.5....Whut!?.... :shock:

Clicked 'launch' last night and my Asp decided to try to exit the station straight up through the roof...fast!
After some rapid fumbling around and pressing 'x' on the keyboard I managed to bring the ship under control. Shields down and a 400cr fine (which was then revoked).
Investigating 'Salvageable Wreckage' = Crash to desktop for me, though other things like unidentified Signal sources and weak signal sources works okay?

Galactic map still seems buggy, and being interdicted for 'juicy cargo' when I 'aint got any is obviously not being worked on at the moment. :roll:
Npc's are more aggressive, but that's no problem, though they all seem to have 100% accurate fire and...watch out for the smaller ships toting railguns, in a wing. wink:

Think I'll give the game a rest at the moment as there's quite a few bugs appearing that I didn't experience in 1.4....starting to spoil my experience of the game frankly.

Redvers Ganderpoke

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Wed, 23. Dec 15, 15:04

Oldman wrote:1.5....Whut!?.... :shock:

Clicked 'launch' last night and my Asp decided to try to exit the station straight up through the roof...fast!
After some rapid fumbling around and pressing 'x' on the keyboard I managed to bring the ship under control. Shields down and a 400cr fine (which was then revoked).
Investigating 'Salvageable Wreckage' = Crash to desktop for me, though other things like unidentified Signal sources and weak signal sources works okay?

Galactic map still seems buggy, and being interdicted for 'juicy cargo' when I 'aint got any is obviously not being worked on at the moment. :roll:
Npc's are more aggressive, but that's no problem, though they all seem to have 100% accurate fire and...watch out for the smaller ships toting railguns, in a wing. wink:

Think I'll give the game a rest at the moment as there's quite a few bugs appearing that I didn't experience in 1.4....starting to spoil my experience of the game frankly.

Not tried 1.5 but doesn't seem to be a problem in 2.0. GFX were a bit dodgy but that was down to my rubbish graphics card -which I've sorted by downgrading the quality.
A flower?

Memnoch

Post by Memnoch » Sat, 2. Jan 16, 18:43

Anyone else find the Frontier servers down? None of the following are working for me:

http://www.frontier.co.uk/
http://forums.frontier.co.uk/
http://elite.frontier.co.uk/

EDIT: Looks like a DNS thing. Is it up says its okay and I can browse its IP.

http://83.222.231.12/

Trying to browse the forum server doesn't look good either.

http://176.34.249.245/forumdisplay.php

I get a response but it says it cannot find that file. Perhaps not just DNS after all.

Seems to be an issue with the Virgin Media DNS servers. If I switch to use the Google ones, 8.8.8.8, I can restore access to those sites.

Oldman
x3tc

Post by Oldman » Mon, 4. Jan 16, 11:09

Memnoch wrote:...Anyone else find the Frontier servers down? None of the following are working for me:

Hi Memnoch :)

I think you'll find it's probably a problem Frontiers end....

(Quote from FrontierCustomer Services yesterday I think..)

"Hi all,

It seems that our DNS has had a bit of a hiccup and the correct settings are propagating out now.

It may still be a little while until everyone is able to access the forum and some other Frontier sites, but if you do have any issues you can either try using another connection (such as your phone) or you can change your DNS servers as suggested above by As Explorer.

Hopefully everything will be back to normal soon and thanks for letting us know. :-)

Cheers,

Support-Falcon

(Unquote.)

I Hope this is of some help Memnoch :) ...there's been a few bugs & hiccups over the Christmas/New year period period. I thought at one point I'd got a copy of Horizons for free! :wink: ..... :D

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 4. Jan 16, 14:07

The Frontier servers are terrible, especially their patching servers. Seeing as for something that normally takes me minutes to download anywhere else, with Elite it takes me hours, and I'm not the only one.
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Fri, 22. Jan 16, 18:32

*** Edit *** The promotion has ended :( i have deleted the link

If you have an email address suited for getting free stuff, i highly recommend getting the PC Gamer mag Cobra skin for free whilst stocks last. I just got mine after a few attempts on the Frontier website, and it's a nice looking dark skin for the Cobra.
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Fri, 22. Jan 16, 18:42

felter wrote:The Frontier servers are terrible, especially their patching servers. Seeing as for something that normally takes me minutes to download anywhere else, with Elite it takes me hours, and I'm not the only one.
That's why I moved my game over to steam, yeah frontier loses out on some of my money,, boo-flipin-hoo for them, at least on steam my game updates/downloads in minutes not hours.

On a separate note I've just started playing Elite again after taking some months out (Power Play was just released last time I looked) some nice but subtle improvements not sure about anything of consequence because I've only done a test landing shot a couple of things in my nice shiny new Viper Mk4, which after a bit testing I decided is catsick, the Vipers have suffered terribly at the hands of the nerfbat since Beta.

Return to “Off Topic English”