Arguing with Creationists...

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Skism
x3tc

Arguing with Creationists...

Post by Skism » Tue, 10. Nov 15, 19:15

I am a member of a Chess club and I made the mistake of finding out that one of the people there is a creationist....Stupid arguments galore.

You would think a chess player (who is a high ish rating) would not make silly arguments

The arguments that I care to remember:

Violates a scientific principle because no none was there to see supposed evolution

Nonone has seen evolution.

Wings could not have evolved.

Claims that geneticists don't believe in evolution

Said that after 200 years it is still only a theory

They fit this picture quite well:

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0 ... 967744.png

I felt like I had been hit by a stupefying spell...I could offer only weak counter arguments invoking dogs, millions of years, mutations and in the end said forget about it.
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest."

-Thomas Paine-

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Tue, 10. Nov 15, 19:45

You could try and fool them with a picture of this little guy:
[ external image ]
and say its photographic proof that we evolved out of the sea.

Well, if they're stupid enough to believe in creationism, I wouldn't put it past them to believe that.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.

Widow Maker
xr

Re: Arguing with Creationists...

Post by Widow Maker » Tue, 10. Nov 15, 19:58

Skism wrote:You would think a chess player (who is a high ish rating) would not make silly arguments
People seem to have a gift for segmenting their minds. Some segments aren't for logical thought and analysis. There isn't anyway that something so ridiculous as creationism could survive even mild analysis.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 10. Nov 15, 20:21

simple way to make them uncomfortable (but never to win, there is no winning) is to point out how far away some other stars are, ask them if they agree, then point out that the light from them couldn't have reached us if everything was six thousand years old.

Like I said, you won't win, but it'll be slightly satisfying watching them backtrack if they fall for it.

That said, I lost an argument with a creationist while showing him a fossil when I was a teenager. He just said it was a rock, insisted in fact, so I just walked away. You can't fix stupid.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Tue, 10. Nov 15, 20:22

The newest argument I heard them bring up was that the laws of nature (physics, maths, biology and so on) were different 8000 years ago. :roll:

It is quite funny when even the Vatican under conservative pope Benedikt XVI locks you out because: "intellegent design is not a scientific point of view".
Last edited by clakclak on Tue, 10. Nov 15, 20:30, edited 2 times in total.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 10. Nov 15, 20:27

Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Tue, 10. Nov 15, 21:07

Widow Maker wrote:
Skism wrote:You would think a chess player (who is a high ish rating) would not make silly arguments
People seem to have a gift for segmenting their minds. Some segments aren't for logical thought and analysis. There isn't anyway that something so ridiculous as creationism could survive even mild analysis.
Yer I know - It just shocked me you know, my opinion of the man just took a nosedive...

-Thomas Paine-

Skism
x3tc

Post by Skism » Tue, 10. Nov 15, 21:16

mrbadger wrote:simple way to make them uncomfortable (but never to win, there is no winning) is to point out how far away some other stars are, ask them if they agree, then point out that the light from them couldn't have reached us if everything was six thousand years old.

Like I said, you won't win, but it'll be slightly satisfying watching them backtrack if they fall for it.

That said, I lost an argument with a creationist while showing him a fossil when I was a teenager. He just said it was a rock, insisted in fact, so I just walked away. You can't fix stupid.
That might work if he is a young earth creationist - I don't actually know if he is, Ill try it if the subject of the age of the Universe comes up. - Im kinda dreading it though....

-Thomas Paine-

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 10. Nov 15, 21:18

Why would you bother? Creation myths have been around forever, and show no signs of disappearing. They just get more complex.

In their complexity they tend to disguise the fact that they are self referential. There is a core of axioms that are accepted on faith or rejected, but seldom actually even examined, and the structure built upon them, where the arguments take place, is impossible to prove or disprove, depending on how one looks at the axioms.

Every creation myth experiences a period of popularity where it is regarded as being real. The popularity of the current creation myth (big bang, natural selection by random events, etc) does not make it somehow superior, so there is no point in defending it. If someone chooses the "big man in the sky" myth, or the "matrix" myth, or the "meddlers from the higher plane" myth what does it really matter?

I personally like the myth of Fred. Fred the supreme being created the universe we know and everything in it yesterday. He included all the necessary evidence of prior existence, even the memories in our tiny brains. The reason I like the myth of Fred is that in its simplicity it clearly illustrates the impossibility of disproving ANY creation myth.
Trapper Tim's Guide to CLS 2

On Her Majesty's Secret Service-Dead is Dead, and he is DEAD

Not a DiD, so I guess it's a DiDn't, the story of my first try at AP
Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

brucewarren
x3tc

Post by brucewarren » Tue, 10. Nov 15, 21:38

But was Fred around last Wednesday ? :P Yes I went there.

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Tue, 10. Nov 15, 21:45

brucewarren wrote:But was Fred around last Wednesday ? :P Yes I went there.
Beats me. If he was he was probably crafting the really cool memories of last Wednesday that I was blessed with. When I was created. Yesterday.

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 01:24

Skism wrote:Violates a scientific principle because no none was there to see supposed evolution
What scientific principle? Is he thinking of the philosophical question?
Skism wrote:Nonone has seen evolution.
The same could be said about God.
Skism wrote:Said that after 200 years it is still only a theory
Strictly speaking this is true. That's how science works.

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 01:33

hm...

I second the "why bother" notion.

what's there to argue? have "they" proven that "their" creation theory is the true-est among all religions?

Timsup2nothin

Post by Timsup2nothin » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 02:14

fiksal wrote:hm...

what's there to argue? have "they" proven that "their" creation theory is the true-est among all religions?
Has anyone? "Religion" or not?

Part One, in progress

HEY! AP!! That's new!!!

fiksal
x4

Post by fiksal » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 02:49

Timsup2nothin wrote:
fiksal wrote:hm...

Has anyone? "Religion" or not?
Not the last time I checked :roll:

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 02:50

Skism wrote:I am a member of a Chess club and I made the mistake of finding out that one of the people there is a creationist....Stupid arguments galore.
"Never argue with a stupid person. They'll drag you down to their level, and beat you with experience."?

muppetts
x3tc

Post by muppetts » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 07:04

Skism wrote:I am a member of a Chess club and I made the mistake of finding out that one of the people there is a creationist....Stupid arguments galore.

You would think a chess player (who is a high ish rating) would not make silly arguments

The arguments that I care to remember:

Violates a scientific principle because no none was there to see supposed evolution

Nonone has seen evolution.

Wings could not have evolved.

Claims that geneticists don't believe in evolution

Said that after 200 years it is still only a theory

They fit this picture quite well:

http://images.sodahead.com/profiles/0/0 ... 967744.png

I felt like I had been hit by a stupefying spell...I could offer only weak counter arguments invoking dogs, millions of years, mutations and in the end said forget about it.
Don't bother talking with these people, I tend to think of them as having extensive brain damage, not their fault, the are just broken. Then treat them like you would a rather slow puppy who just does not get 'sit!'.

(I would pay to see you chasing a creationist around the room with a rolled up newspaper shouting SIT!!! I SAID SITTTTTT!!!!)
VURT The only Feathers to Fly With......

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 07:17

CBJ wrote:
Skism wrote:Said that after 200 years it is still only a theory
Strictly speaking this is true. That's how science works.
I could wish I had a theory. The most I've had are hypothesis, and one of those I disproved myself (slightly worrying at the time, since it was the reason for my Ph.D funding :) )

Their issue is mistaking theory for hypothesis. They don't even have those, since I hypothesis must be falsifiable.
Skism wrote:Nonone has seen evolution.
No longer true. It has definatelly been observed in Moths in the last century, and I beleive there was a more recent observation too, not sure what it was, because it's early and I want porridge more than net research.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

bonalste
x4

Post by bonalste » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 10:48

Evolution would be like a tornado passing through a junkyard and magically making a fully-working 747 out of the randomly put-together parts. It just doesn't make sense and how any rational, logical person can believe in such nonsense that basically 2 chimps mated and a human came out is beyond me.

Hah only joking. I wonder how much blood began boiling with that one.
Last edited by bonalste on Wed, 11. Nov 15, 11:13, edited 2 times in total.

ATTACK_HAMSTER
x3tc

Post by ATTACK_HAMSTER » Wed, 11. Nov 15, 11:05

bonalste wrote:Evolution would be like a tornado passing through a junkyard and magically making a fully-working 747 out of the randomly put-together parts. It just doesn't make sense and how any rational, logical person can believe in such nonsense that basically 2 chimps mated and a human came out is beyond me.

Hah only joking. I wonder how much blood began boiling with that one.
PMSL you got me :D

Oh the humble peppered moth.... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peppered_moth_evolution
You ain't getting me on no M3 Fool !

Return to “Off Topic English”