Update on philip_hughes

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Usenko
x3

Update on philip_hughes

Post by Usenko » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 07:39

Hi all,

Those of you who have been here a while may remember that my younger brother, known here as philip_hughes, has been doing his PhD for . . . I dunno, forever.

I can confirm that at 3:17 this afternoon, the aforementioned brother pressed the button that submitted his thesis.

I'm just a little excited, partly because I'm proud of my brother, partly because "Doctor Phil" has a nice ring to it, and partly because I'm relieved that this whole hellish ordeal is over. ;)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 07:48

Yay!!!

It is indeed a special kind of torture. There are bits of my thesis I still can't read without twitching.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 08:26

Was he too scairt to come on and tell us himself? :wink: Anyway, good luck with the PhD thesis, philip_hughes!

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 09:34

If his experience was anything like mine he's too distracted and lacking in sleep to do that.

Ph.D's are scary evil things
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Ketraar
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Ketraar » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 10:26

Congrats on the achievement. Get some sleep and rest, as this means MUCH MORE to do now, due to the responsibility of being educated, the world is in need of people fixing stuff.

MFG

Ketraar

berth
x4

Post by berth » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 11:16

Congratulations!

I had wondered what had become of him..

For some reason I thought you were the younger brother :?

Bishop149
x3

Post by Bishop149 » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 11:30

From someone who went through the same thing not so very long ago, pass on my many congrats! If it was anything like majority of PhDs I'm sure he's spent the last 6 months to a year working all the hours sent!
Tell him to take a well derserved holiday!

What's the examination situation down under? Viva mostly a formality? Or something to worry about and study for? In the U.K. it's about 50:50 of each.
Or is that all done and dusted too, corrections complete and ceremonies await?
"Shoot for the Moon. If you miss, you'll end up co-orbiting the Sun alongside Earth, living out your days alone in the void within sight of the lush, welcoming home you left behind." - XKCD

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 12:43

berth wrote:Congratulations!

I had wondered what had become of him..

For some reason I thought you were the younger brother :?
May God bless you for your kindness to an old man. ;)
Morkonan wrote:What really happened isn't as exciting. Putin flexed his left thigh during his morning ride on a flying bear, right after beating fifty Judo blackbelts, which he does upon rising every morning. (Not that Putin sleeps, it's just that he doesn't want to make others feel inadequate.)

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 13:04

Two questions remain...
1. Will philip_hughes become a "person of note" .... ?
2, Should Usenko update is youthful picture to reflect "kindness to an old man"..... ?

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 13:17

Heh, I was just thinking that - the photo is from about 10 years ago! :)

InFlamesForEver
x3tc

Post by InFlamesForEver » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 14:00

Is it going to be Dr. Dirt? If I remember correctly his PhD was in soil.
In Flames We Trust
Listening to Whitechapel soothes the soul!! :D     ¹ ¤ ¹      But, the nuns are watching...
Samuel Creshal wrote:Keyboards: What separates the men from the boys.
XRM Trailer - XRM Installation Guide Video

Usenko
x3

Post by Usenko » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 15:35

Yeah, it's a dirty business. ;)

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 16:37

Ah, the Dirt Guy! I remember reading some things he posted on the subject and, IIRC, part of a paper, perhaps.

Glad to know he pushed the button!

Redvers Ganderpoke

Re: Update on philip_hughes

Post by Redvers Ganderpoke » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 16:47

Usenko wrote: I'm just a little excited, partly because I'm proud of my brother, partly because "Doctor Phil" has a nice ring to it, and partly because I'm relieved that this whole hellish ordeal is over. ;)
Has he to have do a viva yet?

Pass on congratulations to Phil for actually submitting it.

I know it can be hard to finally get round to submitting it. My wife took ages to submit hers.
A flower?

Warenwolf
x4

Post by Warenwolf » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 16:51

Usenko wrote:Hi all,

Those of you who have been here a while may remember that my younger brother, known here as philip_hughes, has been doing his PhD for . . . I dunno, forever.

I can confirm that at 3:17 this afternoon, the aforementioned brother pressed the button that submitted his thesis.

I'm just a little excited, partly because I'm proud of my brother, partly because "Doctor Phil" has a nice ring to it, and partly because I'm relieved that this whole hellish ordeal is over. ;)

Congrats to Phil for reaching the "pushing the button" point and all the luck in the future process!

clakclak
x3

Post by clakclak » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 16:53

Nice! For a moment I thought something bad had happend, by just reading the title. Good to hear that it is the opposite.
"The problem with gender is that it prescribes how we should be rather than recognizing how we are. Imagine how much happier we would be, how much freer to be our true individual selves, if we didn't have the weight of gender expectations." - Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie

birdtable
x4

Post by birdtable » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 17:21

The only bad thing we found out is that Usenko is a lot older than he looks.. Well bad for Usenko...

Rapier
x3tc

Post by Rapier » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 18:52

Usenko wrote:I can confirm that at 3:17 this afternoon, the aforementioned brother pressed the button that submitted his thesis.
At 3:18 he noticed the first typo, of which he will notice many more in the coming years.
(Nothing personal, just the way it is ;) )

Well done Dr-in-waiting Phil! The hard part is over, now you just have the scary part!
Rapier - The Orifice of all Knowledge

Godwin's Law is not one of the Forum Rules.
Search just the forum with Google

Tracker001
x3tc

Post by Tracker001 » Mon, 9. Jan 17, 20:25

InFlamesForEver wrote:Is it going to be Dr. Dirt? If I remember correctly his PhD was in soil.
Well got beat to "Dr. Dirt" .

Congrats to Mr. Philip and hope his Thesis passes with flying colors the Board of Inquisition .

:D

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 10. Jan 17, 02:51

Rapier wrote:
Usenko wrote:I can confirm that at 3:17 this afternoon, the aforementioned brother pressed the button that submitted his thesis.
At 3:18 he noticed the first typo, of which he will notice many more in the coming years.
(Nothing personal, just the way it is ;) )..
Figure A and Figure B were accidentally interchanged and reversed, all notations replaced with the credits list for the Belgian Waffle Maker's Association Instructional Video, all formulae have their values increased by a random number, viva voce is held, but applicant goes to the wrong building.

Applicant gains PhD in N-Dimensional Topology while defending another's thesis.

Headlines - "Three Soil Scientists Administering Forfeited Viva Voce Discover Infinite Energy, Become Billionaires Overnight"

Return to “Off Topic English”