(Resolved) Windows 7: Please insert Original CD-Rom (Updated Drivers on Tages site)

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

zooze
xr

Post by zooze » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 16:15

Try running X3 in XP compatibility mode, when you do this anything else that runs will use the same compatibility mode (e.g. TAGES).

Regards

Zoozer

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 16:38

Nice Idea, unfortunately this was one of the things i had already tried, and has no effect.

Trying Vista compatability mode the drive appears to start reading but then pops up with please insert original disk.

Legionnaire
Mobo MSI Z270 Gaming M3 CPU i5 7600K @4.2
RAM 16Gb Corsair Vengeance
2x 1TB (RAID 0)+ 4TB SSHD + 3TB HDD + 500GB SSD (Windows and X4 install Locatrion)
Windows 10 PRO
8GB MSI 1070Ti

thorsten123
x3tc

Post by thorsten123 » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 16:39

zooze wrote:Try running X3 in XP compatibility mode, when you do this anything else that runs will use the same compatibility mode (e.g. TAGES).
TAGES is a driver, I doubt Windows will switch drivers into compatibility mode.

gandy|UKCS|
x3tc

Post by gandy|UKCS| » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 17:19

Legionnaire wrote:contemplating buying the steam version just to see how well it rns under win 7 because almost all my other games are running more smoothely under win 7.
I have the steam version of X3:TC and it runs alot smoother than i thought it would, better than vista for sure. I would also say the fps in the game ( using fraps to tell me the fps ) seems more stable and a little better.

The only current issues with windows 7 for me is some decent lan drivers and audio drivers.. but in time they will be release.

eladan
x4

Post by eladan » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 17:35

thorsten123 wrote:
zooze wrote:Try running X3 in XP compatibility mode, when you do this anything else that runs will use the same compatibility mode (e.g. TAGES).
TAGES is a driver, I doubt Windows will switch drivers into compatibility mode.
Yup, and that's definite - compatibility mode won't work for drivers

As far as a Windows 7 version of TAGES goes, I'd have to say that I think you'd be extremely fortunate to get a driver for a beta release of Windows 7. Being a beta, it's prone to change at any time, and is quite possible that such changes would render the driver useless. For something like this which isn't exactly critical for Windows 7 eval, it doesn't seem likely that a company would bother writing anything until release.

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 17:38

Ok just tried re-installing the entire game in Compatability mode, same as before it doesnt even start trying to read the disk, did notice though that additional files are started during the install, but they obviously werent set for compatability mode, and it happened too quick for me to see the names and try setting those to compatability mode even on the cd.

Yes you can now set speceific files to different compatability modes and win 7 appears to remember that even if the disc is removed and replaced.

Legionnaire
2x 1TB (RAID 0)+ 4TB SSHD + 3TB HDD + 500GB SSD (Windows and X4 install Locatrion)
Windows 10 PRO
8GB MSI 1070Ti

thorsten123
x3tc

Post by thorsten123 » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 17:45

eladan wrote: As far as a Windows 7 version of TAGES goes, I'd have to say that I think you'd be extremely fortunate to get a driver for a beta release of Windows 7. Being a beta, it's prone to change at any time, and is quite possible that such changes would render the driver useless. For something like this which isn't exactly critical for Windows 7 eval, it doesn't seem likely that a company would bother writing anything until release.
I reckon they will, maybe not for the first Beta, but certainly for the RC, otherwise if they don't have anything on release day all hell breaks loose.

And they get beta testers for free who don't complain if the drivers kills their system.

AjRyder
x3ap

Post by AjRyder » Fri, 16. Jan 09, 22:30

With reference to sound card drivers for windows 7. I also had the problem to get round this I unpacked the windows XP exe for my laptop a compaq V4215EA and then used those drivers for my sound card. Everything else checks out ok.

I will say this windows 7 is the nuts even in this early stage. Its so quick even on my celeron M laptop. When it does come out I will be putting the 64 bit version on my gaming system.

As for the problems with this game, I think it would make sense that the company look into the problem sooner rather then later as I do feel that this will be released quicker then you would think. I heard it was FEB but have now heard it will be August. I cant wait XP is just to dated Vista is worthless and this is what all computers have required for a long time. :lol:
Star Trek Phase II watch new episodes now at

http://www.startreknewvoyages.com

My computer is fast very very fast ;)

Follow me on Twitter @Formula1Dragon

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 17. Jan 09, 00:17

Could people please take general discussion of Windows 7 to the off-topic forum? This thread is for discussion of attempts to run the game under Windows 7.

Legionnaire
x4

Post by Legionnaire » Sat, 17. Jan 09, 20:27

Just to keep everyone up to date on the Windows 7 Application Compatibility support forum someone else ran into this issue with a different game, Stalker Clear Sky, hes also contacted them , but he got a slightly different reply, his was

The TAGES mail:

Hello,

We will mail you when it’s done.

Kind regards,

The Tages Technical Team

so hopefully this means that they are actually now looking into this.

Legionnaire
Windows 10 PRO
8GB MSI 1070Ti

gandy|UKCS|
x3tc

Post by gandy|UKCS| » Sat, 17. Jan 09, 22:50

I emailed them today and if they see this i thank them for there quick response :)

Ive been swapping between vista and win 7 for the last few days with a fresh install each time and i lost all voice audio in game today which i thought was a windows 7 bug but sadly after putting vista back i found its a game save issue and not related to wmp like the sticky suggests. I went back to an older save and station, gate and comms voices are back as normal.

There must be a rare event in a game save where it corrupts audio settings with in vista which leads me to ask.. what the hell do you store in a game save as general game settings should never be saved there.

I do hope that Tages sort a beta driver out for those who have a retail dvd of X3:TC and im sure if those who are trying the beta win 7 email them to ask when they are going to release a beta driver for testing under windows 7 beta/rc1/rc2 might be enough to push them into looking and creating one for testing.

betc
x3ap

Post by betc » Mon, 19. Jan 09, 13:35

yeh would be nice, just put w7 on laptop and man its sweet! so snappy and so much less inteferance from the nanny

but will have to go back to XP so i can play TC again... :(

betc
x3ap

Post by betc » Tue, 20. Jan 09, 02:09

this so sucks that X3 wont run on W7 unless you have the steam version

so many things on W7 have been fixed versus vista... fast network copy, fast zip'ing and unzipping, hardly any nanny popups, cool move windows around, the start bar, no gadgets by default, easy to use, snappy

ya for W7

argoran
x3tc

Windows 7

Post by argoran » Wed, 21. Jan 09, 23:24

Hi,

I have just installed Windows 7 ( yes I know you'll say you don't support it beause it's beta etc etc etc ) however, my issue is with the DISC which is no longer being read from the CDROM - So my question is will Terran conflict ever be abe to run without the CD?
War isn't about sacrificing your life for your country, its about making the bastard on the other side do it for his.

Fanchen
x4

Post by Fanchen » Wed, 21. Jan 09, 23:32

As far as I know it has been said that there will be a No-DVD-Patch. When it will arrive - no-one knows.

argoran
x3tc

Post by argoran » Wed, 21. Jan 09, 23:39

yes I heard that too but that's been months ago - anyone from egosoft to comment ???
War isn't about sacrificing your life for your country, its about making the bastard on the other side do it for his.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Thu, 22. Jan 09, 00:12

I've merged your thread with the exiting Windows 7 thread, which contains a number of relevant comments.

As for the NoDVD question...
The Copy Protection sticky thread at the top of the forum wrote:For the convenience of owners of the game a NoDVD patch will eventually be issued. This is unlikely to happen for a while though, and no specific timescale has been stated. However, with previous games the elapsed time from game release to NoCD/NoDVD patch was approximately a year.
If that changes then you will see an announcement. Until then there is no point in asking people to comment as there is nothing further to say.

betc
x3ap

Post by betc » Thu, 22. Jan 09, 03:24

fair enough.

although on the no DVD thang can i add...

Carn..... :)

Panzertard
x4

Post by Panzertard » Sun, 25. Jan 09, 18:23

>> T@GES Online Activation
>> Maximum activation count reached. Your product can't be activated.
>> Please contact the product support.

I've contacted TAGES regarding my issues (Windows 7 x64 Beta 1) - however they also state that the publisher or distributor needs to raise my number of activations.
It's a bit unclear if that means STEAM or Egosoft, but I'd appreciate any assistance increasing the number of activations.
STEAM has no articles regarding activation issues at all; regaring who's responsible to increase them I mean.

For the record, Tages was succesfully installed and fired up as I expected to see it. During the activation I wasn't able to communicate with the activation server (I'm behind a NAT network, Astaro v7 Enterprise firewall), most likely due to the transparent HTTP Proxy service on the firewall.

So I ended up with the HTM page where I could upload the code.
However during download - the Yellow Ribbon that represents the "file download" for the return-code - did not present any "Save Dialog".
So after a few attempts of saving the (TAGES) HTM file to desktop and run it, I ran out of activiations. :-(

I've now added "*.tages-protection.com" to the Trusted Sites - I hope that will fix the "Save Dialog" issue the next time.
... but I need more activations .. *sniff* ..
/Panzertard

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sun, 25. Jan 09, 21:26

If you bought your game through Steam then it is Steam support who can increase your activation limit. Bear in mind, though, that it's still not going to work under Windows 7 until TAGES add Windows 7 support to their software.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”