Vsync isn't working : /

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Terran Conflict, X³: Albion Prelude or X³: Farnham's Legacy.

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Flashfire
x3tc

Vsync isn't working : /

Post by Flashfire » Fri, 7. Nov 08, 15:02

I have an 8800GT 512mb running the latest drivers in Vista 64. I forced Vsync on in the driver panel and it works fine until I travel through a gate then vsync is off again causing horrible tearing.

I can't live without vsync :( the tearing messes with me.

Any idea how to force it on and keep it on?
Thou shalt maintain thine airspeed... lest the ground come up and smite thee.
www.javafoundry.com/flashfire

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Fri, 7. Nov 08, 15:09

Vista does not allow drivers to set the VSync state.

mad_axeman
x3tc

Post by mad_axeman » Fri, 7. Nov 08, 16:44

CBJ is correct. In Vista, the VSync setting is Application controlled only, which means that as this cannot be set in X3:TC....

Anyway, you might get a result from using D3D Overrider from RivaTuner. A brief discussion is here: http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=208499

Flashfire
x3tc

Post by Flashfire » Sat, 8. Nov 08, 18:50

CBJ wrote:Vista does not allow drivers to set the VSync state.
The nvidia drivers I've been using in Vista have allowed me to force vsync in other programs. (WoW, Spore, Deer Hunter Tournament, etc). I've tested this by shutting down the in-app vsync and forcing it on in the driver panel.

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Sat, 8. Nov 08, 21:05

in any case, that's an issue to bring up with nvidia, not egosoft :P

for what it's worth, my framerates were capped to 60 in the rollling demo until I uncapped them in the nvidia driver options. I can't get my framerate above 60 in the in-game sector i'm in, but i'm not getting any tearing at all
Math problems? Call 0800-[(10x)(13i)^2]-[sin(xy)/2.362x]

Flashfire
x3tc

Post by Flashfire » Tue, 11. Nov 08, 16:28

Okay... I don't understand. I'm getting vsync working... works great! As soon as I go through a jump gate vsync shuts down and the tearing is back. What exactly happens while changing sectors that is resetting my video?

Flashfire
x3tc

Post by Flashfire » Wed, 12. Nov 08, 13:49

Flashfire wrote:Okay... I don't understand. I'm getting vsync working... works great! As soon as I go through a jump gate vsync shuts down and the tearing is back. What exactly happens while changing sectors that is resetting my video?
Very sorry but needed to bump this... any ideas? I'll try to fix it myself if I can find the underlying issue.

Flashfire
x3tc

Post by Flashfire » Wed, 12. Nov 08, 14:57

After some self-tech support this is what I've come up with. The problem is related directly to video memory. Vsync requires video memory to function if I understand the mechanics correctly. Lowering the texture settings from high to medium eliminates the "vsync works then fails after a jump" problem.

This suggests that the video memory on my 512mb 8800 is maxed out after loading new textures for a new system and is shutting features down.

I could be completely wrong but I can reproduce the problem and reproduce the solution. Any developer insight on this? Can I have a job? :P

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Wed, 12. Nov 08, 15:28

it's entirely possible that there's some kind of "reset the graphics card state" code in x3 that's only run under certain conditions (which are met when you change sector in high-texture mode), which would account for vsync being set until this code is run

with the increasing number of tfts (of which mine is one), it would be nice to be able to set this from the launcher program... but personally I feel it's not a priority :)

frymaster
x4

Post by frymaster » Wed, 12. Nov 08, 15:35

Flashfire wrote:Very sorry but needed to bump this... any ideas? I'll try to fix it myself if I can find the underlying issue.
The issue is that it's a characteristic of the OS that the driver can't override the game's vsync settings. Presumably there's some "reset the graphics card state" code that runs under certain conditions (which changing sector with high-quality textures on meets, for whatever reason), that's setting the vsync. So the drivers' setting only lasts until this code is run.

It'd be nice to be able to set this in the launcher (I have a tft too) but imo it's not a priority :)

Flashfire
x3tc

Post by Flashfire » Wed, 12. Nov 08, 16:25

Alright... confirmed.

I spent the last hour or so playing the starting missions and jumping from sector to sector without losing my driver forced vsync settings on medium texture mode. Whatever code is resetting the video card it is only doing it on high texture mode.

BTW I would like to point out that the Vista problem of being unable to ovverride a game's vsync setting has been fixed for a while on nVidia cards. This applies to DX9 only... I'm unaware of the situation with DX10 however I do recall a vsync problem with DX10 back in the early days of tweaking Crysis.

Return to “X³: Terran Conflict / Albion Prelude / Farnham's Legacy - Technical Support”