DBOX2 - import and export tool for 3dMax & GMAX!!

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

DeadlyDa
x4

DBOX2 - import and export tool for 3dMax & GMAX!!

Post by DeadlyDa » Fri, 5. Aug 05, 19:04

Yes, you read it right...the latest Maxscript from Doubleshadow, DBOX2 (Doubleshadow's BOD Exporter for X2, formally BOB Importer) allows you to import and export X2 parts and scenes from 3dMax 5, 6, and 7...as well as GMax 1.2 :!:

Specifically, it can
  • * import body files
    * import scene files
    * imported objects have correct size and rotation
    * objects are fully textured (all available material info is used)
    * it's based on the same algorithm as X2 BOD Compiler
    * can load files up to 35MB (possibly even larger)
    * export bodies
    * export scenes
GMAX users should seriously consider sending their 1st-born sons & daughters, large sums of cash in un-marked bills...or perhaps just a heartfelt "thank you" to Doubleshadow...this is quite an accomplishment.

I have been testing the Maxscript extensively, and it works very well indeed.

All credit to Altor for producing the original X2 Import Maxscript. However, as you can see from the list of features above, DBOX2 is far more than a simple replacement for Altor's original BOD importer. (For those that know Maxscript, take a peep at the code. This is some very clever and sophisticated code...I'm still trying to figure parts of it out :D ).

Because GMax does not allow you to actually do physical I/O (unless you license the base code from Discreet), exporting from that platform is a bit of a pain. You essentially have to "cut & paste" segments of your part and scene files from the GMax listener window into a text file.

The main download page for DBOX2 is http://www.doubleshadow.wz.cz/x2bi/index.php

GMax users will also need to use a "grabber" to save output from the GMax listener window to a file. Doubleshadow provides a link to GMaxSLGRAB on the X2 Tools page of his download section. Here is the link http://www.doubleshadow.wz.cz/getfile.p ... SLGRAB.zip

Doubleshadow put in a ton of time getting all this to work, and was a bit rushed to get it done prior to going on vacation. The supplied "readme" and "help" files are certainly adequate, but are in no way an attempt at providing a full tutorial. There is an assumption that the user knows how to use their graphics tool(s) of choice, and is already familiar with the principals behind GFX modding for X2. If you are not yet at that level with X2, information on GFX modding for X2 is available in the Scripting & Modding thread that is "stickied" at the to of this forum. (There are also more than a few "nuggets" of knowledge & wisdom scattered throughout the forum...so don't be hesitate to do a bit of reading) If you need help on 3dMax or GMax, you will find numerous tutorials in the web.

Since Doubleshadow will be on vacation for the next week or so, I will do the best I can in answering any questions in his absence.

domingo
x2

Post by domingo » Fri, 5. Aug 05, 19:18

:thumb_up: applause :thumb_up:

Moonraven
x3

Post by Moonraven » Fri, 5. Aug 05, 19:27

Amazing :) :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up: :thumb_up:
Gruß Moonraven
Wer lesen kann, ist ganz klar im Vorteil.
[ external image ]

Moonraven
x3

Post by Moonraven » Fri, 5. Aug 05, 20:04

Ok..i have posted in the german forum with a rough translation :)
Gruß Moonraven
Wer lesen kann, ist ganz klar im Vorteil.
[ external image ]

Stealth
x2

Post by Stealth » Sat, 6. Aug 05, 13:00

Downloaded for great justice! :mrgreen:

Galaxy613
x4

Post by Galaxy613 » Sun, 7. Aug 05, 20:56

Very neat, I need to check this out! :D
10,000 Lightyears of awesomeness

Starbuster
x3

Post by Starbuster » Wed, 10. Aug 05, 10:57

Can anyone give a step-by-step-explanation how to export *.gmax files to bod format :?

I've tried for at least 8 times but it doesn't work :evil:

THX Starbuster
"Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn Wissen ist begrenzt...!" [Albert Einstein]

DeadlyDa
x4

Post by DeadlyDa » Wed, 10. Aug 05, 18:06

Starbuster,

I'm no expert on GMax, as I use 3dMax instead.

However, a quick Google for "GmaxSLGrab" produced plenty of useful references. You might give it a try.

This one was particularly helpful... http://kupio.lunarpages.com/~tru7h02/ha ... ewbie.html

I installed the DS's script in the GMax /scripts/startup folder (per the readme), started GmaxSLGrab, fired-up GMax and created a simple sphere, opened DBOX2, opened a listner window, told DBOX2 to export all...and the listner window filled up with all the good BOD stuff . I then clicked "Grab" from the GmaxSLGrab program (which I had already started), and it saved the file for me.

The whole thing, from the initial search on Google to producing a file, took me less than 5 minuts.

Starbuster
x3

Post by Starbuster » Wed, 10. Aug 05, 20:33

That's a perfect help, thank you very much!!! :thumb_up:
"Phantasie ist wichtiger als Wissen, denn Wissen ist begrenzt...!" [Albert Einstein]

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”