Sabine: The rise of an Assassin:

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

JJRSC
x4

Post by JJRSC » Tue, 30. Jun 15, 00:55

I like where you're going with this Shaun. Looking forward to the next installment!

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 30. Jun 15, 04:30

JJRSC:

Thanks for the praise, I am working on the next chapter as we speak. I Just want to make sure I get it right before posting. Won't be long.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 30. Jun 15, 05:28

Into the void:

“Miss Poler there is a call for you in my office.”

I looked to see Corporal Slamer standing at his office door holding his com unit like it was a hand grenade about to go off, which pretty much described what he thought about people directing personal calls through him. I followed him into his office and accepted the hand unit of him, he was definitely not happy with me.

“Poler speaking who is this.”

“Arlen this is Saya get your butt down here and pay me, your birds ready for its test flight.”

“That was chief engineer Kenar, she was just letting me know my Ship is ready for a test flight,” I explained handing the phone back to Slamer.

“Best get down there and give it a whirl then Poler, it’s not wise to keep the chief waiting.”

I went back to my bunk and grabbed my keys, that of course attracted Selma’s attention and then Sandy’s before we could even get out of the door. I didn’t really mind, over the last couple of days we had tended to do everything together except training, Selma refused to join us when we exercised with the regular marines on station. She got a lot of stick about that from Sandy of course.

I was a bit concerned Saya had said it would take a tazura to fix the ship instead it had taken three. How much extra was this technical delay going to cost me? I wondered as we waited for the lift to reach the hanger deck. Dal was waiting at the entrance to the hanger bay… No surprises there, he’d been conspicuous by his presence ever since Sandy and I had sparred together. If I was paranoid I would have my suspicions about that, suspicions that his flirting with Selma did nothing to allay.

He led us straight to straight to Saya’s office, she had a mound of paper work for me to look at, so we went over the repairs and upgrades she’d carried out together, then she almost gleefully presented me her invoice pad to sign off and pay for the work. I was surprised despite all the work listed the figure was the same as the one she had originally estimated so I pulled her on that.

“To be honest Arlen I think one of my team may have caused the problems we encountered and held up the repairs so I figured I owed you a break on the bill.”

“Well I’m not going to try and talk you out of that,” I admitted

“Right lets show you what we’ve done to her Arlen, I think you are going to be pretty impressed.”

Saya led me through the workshop to the bay where they had been working on her, she looked a lot better now she wasn’t ring fenced by access platforms with half her innards spread out on work benches. The hull once more shone under the overhead lights it seems the work crews had spent as much time polishing the hull as they had fixing her up and I was impressed by the quality of the finish to the repairs they had made to her hull I couldn’t even see the repairs they had made.

“Gunne Saya she looks fantastic!” I admitted.

“Told you girl now get suited up and give her a whirl, I’ve had the crew replenish your load out, a couple of the missile racks were a bit light.”

Those missiles hadn’t been on the bill either, seems Saya was fudging the costs more than a bit I walked around her with Saya and Selma following me as I finished giving her a thorough visual. I wanted to give her a test flight, more just to get back out there for a brief while than just to check her out. I had no doubt the repairs would be as flawless as her now gleaming hull.

“Okay I’ll get suited up and give her a try out… I stopped speaking when I saw the look of longing on Selma’s face. Recognising the burning desire she had to be out there that mirrored my own.

“Hey you got a spare suit Saya, girl here’s brother reckons she’s some sort of hotshot pilot. I think I want to see if he’s right.” Selma looked at me in shock, and I could see she wanted to be polite and refuse the offer as being too much but didn’t speak lest I accept words that were at odds with her real desire.

”Go on girl get suited up I ain’t got all day, what about you Sandy want to come along for the ride?”

“No I’m fine right here thanks Arlen, you are about to find out why I insisted on piloting our disco here though.”

Selma just clipped him on the back of the head for that, and went off with Saya to get a spare suit somewhere. I opened her up and started going through the ships systems.

Saya had made good on her promise the whole ship had been polished and now shone like a new pin. The minor imperfections inside had also been dealt with. They had even refurbished the cockpit seats, they hadn’t been on the bill either. I reckoned I would have to get Saya something to show her my appreciation. I stepped down into the bay and stripped of too get into my own suit, annoyed that my ship was making me look tatty and threadbare in comparison to its pristine condition. A moment later I went back up to the cockpit and began carrying out a prelaunch check sequence. Selma was walking back towards me I could see her approaching on the exterior displays and opened the cargo bay door. That would save her having to clamber over me by entering through the cockpit. With the Mamba already powering up with the drives beginning to warm up I was running diagnostics when Selma finally poked her head through the hatch.

“Sit yourself down over in the navigator’s seat and start going through pre-flight. Don’t worry we’ll swap over once I’ve checked her out a bit.”

“Hey I’m not worried, but are you sure about this Arlen, I mean I’ve never flown a heavy fighter before?”

“Of course I am… Sandy reckons you’re pretty good in a Disco, let’s see what you can do in a Mamba. Now hush up whilst I talk to the traffic controllers.” That finally managed to get that grin of hers back in place.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 13:43, edited 2 times in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 30. Jun 15, 14:26

Test Flight.

We were all set to go, I set the strobes flashing to give the hanger crew advance warning that I was going to go for a launch. Then I switched on the coms and contacted the traffic controllers.

“Control this is Mamba Yankee Mike three Sierra Alpha Zero niner requesting clearance for test flight, Pilot Cadet Poler and Cadet Hayak on board.”

“Copy that alpha zero niner you have clearance, have a good flight.”

“Copy that control.”

I powered up the drives and waited impatiently as we were slowly lowered into the launch bay, Selma was still busy checking the displays in front of her, and had put up a sector map on a side display for me. It wasn’t real time but it was close enough coming as it was from the traffic controllers feed. It was enough to give me an idea of the local traffic patterns. The elevator finally stopped moving the outer doors slowly opened to reveal the heavens beyond. This was a sight that never failed to enthral me, there was a beauty in the absoluteness of the void that had always spoken to a part of me and drawn me back to it time and time again. A glance from Selma told me she was ready so I hit the throttles and felt a rush as the acceleration pushed me back into my seat the entrance passing behind us in the blink of an eye. I kept to the near station speed limit till we hit the outer marker then told Selma to brace herself before maxing out the throttles. This was much more like it. There was some light traffic heading in our direction so I picked a clear area of the sector and headed over that way. Once there I went vertical till we were fifty clicks out. Only then did I begin putting the Mamba though her paces. Once I was happy with the response to the controls I flicked off the safeties and checked the guns choosing debris for targets. Everything was performing as it should be if not better. Time to see what Selma could do, I came to a dead stop and swapped places with her. Then waited till she had got herself set before giving her a few obvious pointers.

“Couple of things Selma, the Mamba will seem slow compared to your disco but it carries a hell of a lot more mass so allow for that when you go into your turns, once you get used to it you can use it to your advantage. The thruster's are there as an assist if needs be, otherwise the controls should be pretty familiar to you.” Selma took a moment to study the controls then looked to me for permission.

“Okay have fun but dock at the trading station when you’re ready I think I owe Saya a drink for all the work she’s put into this.”

Selma took her time getting used to the ship putting her through her paces nice and gently to get a feel for how she handled. Once she was happy with the controls though she went nuts, at least that’s the closest I can come to describing what she did pulling snap rolls and Immelmann’s in rapid succession, all at full throttle. That had the inertial dampers screaming whilst she was laughing her head off. That went on for nearly ten mizura till she powered down and set course for the trading station at a much more sedate pace.

“Wow that was the best Arlen I haven’t had so much fun in Jazura, I owe you for letting me fly her.”

“Forget it Selma, besides I figured after hearing Sandy say you were nuts I just had to see for myself. You’re not nuts Selma but you are a damn good pilot, I always figured you for the marines and Sandy for fighters.”

“Yeah a lot of people make that mistake, truth be told though he hates flying almost as much as I love it.” Selma looked at me for a mizura as if weighing up whether she should say what was sticking in her throat. I waited for her to make her mind up, sensing she would get to it when she was ready.

“Arlen about Sandy you two get along alright don’t you?” That was an odd question she was with us all the time except when we were sparring, which made me wonder where this was going”

“Of course we do we spend hours training every day, and before you ask he’s been a perfect gentlemen.” I replied truthfully knowing that once again I was missing something here... something important to her.

"That’s okay then… look once we’ve docked I need to speak to you about something.”

Selma handled the docking at the station as easily as if she had been flying the Mamba as long as I had. Within a few mizura we were sat at the counter in Dals Bar sipping on cold beers waiting for Bran. He turned up a few mizura later grinning like a Teladi that had found a credit someone had dropped.

“You made it then girl… barkeep three more beers,” He gave Selma a questioning look before looking to me for an introduction.

“Sorry Bran meet Selma, Selma meet Bran she’s a friend, so keep your hands where I can see them Bran” I joked.

“A pleasure Selma any friend of Arlens is welcome, I came through the hanger and I saw you had Saya fix your ship.”

“Yes I did and she’s done wonders, that’s mostly why I’m here I want a crate of the whiskey she likes as a thank you for her and her crew.” He looked at me like I was an idiot for a moment before speaking.

“I don’t know Arlen… Saya has expensive tastes” I just glared at him after that remark till he relented, “alright I’ll have a case put on your ship. She must have done one hell of a job to merit that sort of reward.”

“She’s earned it Bran, the things so new and shiny it makes me look tatty. She even threw in a few extras free of charge.”

“Fair enough Arlen if it will make you feel better I’ll do it, you be sure to say thank you to her for me when you get back.” We sat there for a while just making conversation, Bran kept checking the time so I figured he was on a clock for a job.

“Look Bran if your just staying too be polite you don’t have too. Me and Selma are only going to stay here long enough to get a bite to eat then we’ll be heading back. I can’t say I wasn’t a little bit hurt at his evident relief hearing me say that. He stood and shook Selma’s hand before turning to speak to me.

“Remember that offer is always open Arlen, now much as I really would love to stay and chat with you two fleet lovelies I have got to head out. Fly safe when you are out there the pair of you.”

“We will” I promised shaking his hand to let him know I had understood his intention forcing me to use the gesture last time we’d spoken. He smiled at that then left.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 30. Jun 15, 14:39

Continued:

I signalled the bar keep and ordered a couple of steaks and sides and beers for the pair of us. I hadn’t failed to notice that Selma was relieved that Bran had left and I figured perhaps now she might tell me what was bothering her. I grabbed my glass and led her to a table right at the back of the room.

“Okay Selma spit it” out I told her as we ate. ”You’ve got something bugging you that you’ve been waiting for ages to tell me.” I swear the girl was actually blushing, what the hell was this all about?

“Do you know why Bran left, I mean really know Arlen?”

“Of course he’s heading out you heard him say so yourself”

“Gods for a smart girl you can be pretty dense at times, let me ask you why he knows for a fact he needn’t bother coming on to me, and why he thinks we are both here on the station together.” I still didn’t get it I went back over everything we had said and couldn’t see any reason for Bran to have taken offence. I mean he was okay with sorting out the whiskey for Saya I had noted it had already been added to my tab. Selma obviously saw what I was thinking so she interrupted my line of thought.

“Arlen you really just don’t get it do you he thinks we came here to… to get a room for Gunne’s sake. Do I have too spell it out for you girl? He knows I like you… That I like you a lot. Are you starting to get the picture yet? Look I know you don’t like men… yes it is bloody obvious so don’t start looking insulted, the only man you even let get close to you without glaring at them is Sandy.”

“So what you thought you could flutter your eyelashes at me and that I’d reveal all,” I scoffed dream on girl. “Ooh shit I’m sorry Selma I do like you it’s just I’ve never thought of you that way, and if you like woman so much what the hell are you doing playing up to Dal of all people for Gunne’s sake? You’ve just got to know he’s keeping an eye on me and Sandy, nothing more.”

“Of course I do you idiot that’s why I wanted to ask you to do me a favour.”

Now that definitely threw me, she admits she likes me more than a girl should, then she insults me, and to top it off admits to playing all cutesy with Dal for reasons as yet unspecified, this favour just had to be worth hearing. Perhaps then I would understand exactly what the hell her problem was.

“Alright Selma let’s start from the top one fact at a time because as you have said repeatedly I just don’t see your problem. Enlighten me, and try not to use too many big words okay?”

“Sandy’s right about you Arlen… you can be a real bitch when you want to be.”

“Enough with the insults! Start from the beginning or I am out of here right now.” She could tell I was serious so she started from the top of the page which I apparently had failed to read for days.

“You said it yourself on the way here Arlen how you thought I wanted to be a marine and Sandy wanted to be a pilot, well that’s pretty much the way we are the pair of us are the opposite of what people expect.” I was about to explain that but she was having none of it.

” No interruptions please you said you wanted to hear it from the top. Now I prefer women to men, I’ve already told you that… well Sandy he prefers men to women now do you get it? The fleet will turn a blind eye to a girl on girl relationship but you put a man in the same situation that’s a big fat no! Sandy would never be allowed to enlist and he wouldn’t be able to go home either. Why do you think he’s got a record, or had to learn to protect himself? Can you imagine what our life has been like for the both of us stuck on that damn ore mine of my fathers? If they find out Arlen they’ll drop him and I’ll have to leave as well to look after him, I promised our mom I would, and I always keep my promises.”

I had to give this serious thought, so far Selma and Sandy were the only people other than Bran who had ever treated me as a human being. Part of me was saying so what? let them work it out, trouble was I knew what it was like to be singled out, to have people look at you like you were a freak because you saw the world differently to them. Add to that they were my friends. I rolled that thought around in my head for a while, I’d never had friends of my own before. People that liked me just the way I was, without questioning everything I said or did. Could I really let go of them so easily? Selma let me think it all the way through, she would give up her dreams of a life in the fleet if Sandy left, I got the impression from the way she spoke she had been protecting him her whole life. Is that how twins were supposed to be I wondered? Remembering with anger Lennar’s desertion. Unfortunately Selma saw that rage and got it wrong again, and stood up to leave. Why did she keep reading me wrong all the time I wondered?

“Oh for Gunnes sake girl sit down. I’m not angry at you just at life,” I admitted. Alright what’s the favour?” And if it’s that you want to fly my ship back to the outpost, forget it it’s my turn,” I added to show I was joking… well mostly. “Barkeep a bottle over here.” I shouted whilst I waited for it to sink in to her thick head that I wasn’t angry with her, and I hadn’t said no yet either. The barkeep was a psychic I reckon or forewarned by Bran, my room key came on the tray with the bottle and glasses.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 30. Jun 15, 14:56

Continued:

The barkeep wasn’t psychic, the bottle on the table and the fact the room had been prepped told me Bran had arranged this whilst we were busy talking. I placed my tray next to the one on the table and poured us both a drink.

"Alright sit your ass down and tell me what this favour is that you are so worried I’m going to say no to. She didn’t of course she wandered the room looking the place over like it was a palace or something.

“This is your place?” She asked obviously surprised at the size of the apartment.

“This is all yours?” she asked again as if it was alien to her thoughts that anyone could have such a large place all to themselves. I suppose it was fairly extravagant but I had been spoiled by Suzeanne’s apartment in Legends. After getting by sleeping in the back of my ship in dock for wozura I had come to dislike cramped spaces.

“It was… still is I suppose I have it on a long term lease? Now if you are done wearing a hole in the carpet sit your butt in that chair and tell me what this favour is you want, and that is the last time I am going to ask you that Selma.”

She knew I wasn’t joking and that no amount of stalling would make it easier for her.

“I want you to be Sandy’s girlfriend, some of the guys in our dorm are openly questioning him about what you two get up to, and no he has said nothing to give you cause to take offence, trouble is some of them are starting to guess the truth.”

Yeah I knew all about that, the pack animals could tell when there was a stranger in their midst and they would turn on him as soon as they confirmed their suspicions. I knew exactly what that felt like it had happened to me more times than I could count. Why were people like that? Of course that was a rhetorical question, it was because they were herd animals, people like me and Sandy we were predators. Selma was giving me plenty of time to think it over but to be honest I had already decided to do it.

I was thinking over what I wanted to do about Selma, I’d never had anyone express more than a passing liking or hatred for me before, the idea of sex had never even occurred to me till now. It was something I had never experienced not properly. I don’t think rape counts. Would it be safe though, I knew what happened to me when people looked at me that way, the rage took over and they either died or I hurt them. If I killed her I would have a serious problem. Getting rid of the body wouldn’t be, explaining how I managed to lose her to Sandy would be. The idea intrigued me all the same it was a weakness something I had never experienced or understood.

My decision made I finished my whiskey calling back to Selma to pour me another whilst I went to the bath room and with relief at finding my spare kit there I gave myself a good dosage. I wanted this and I didn’t want it spoiled by me killing her.

“What’s that for Arlen?” Selma asked from the door way glasses in both hands and a look of real concern for me clear in her eyes. She probably thought I was a junkie for fracks sake.

“We need to talk I admitted putting the injector back in its locker and leading her back into the lounge relieving her of my whiskey on the way. I swallowed that one whole and poured myself another before fishing out the tag I had been given at the outpost.

“That’s a medical tag, Selma it means that before anyone touches me they should check I’ve had a shot of my meds… which are prescription by the way. If they don’t chances are I might try and kill them. Hell I would probably succeed.”

“But why?”

“The same reason I hate men… all men who try and touch me Selma please don’t ask me to spell that out for you.” She was horrified as she put it together, all of it.

“You were raped and I’ve just asked you to act like you’re keen on my brother, oh gods Arlen I am so sorry I never realised.”

“Why would you? It’s not something I ever wanted to talk about, bit of a conversation stopper don’t you think. Anyway that’s why I am like I am, as regards Sandy… I think I’ll be up for that. Gunne we wrestle for hours every day so he’s safe, always has been with me and at least now I know why. So yes I’ll play the infatuated lover with him, it will piss the hell out of a couple of the boys who have been eyeing me up. Can he act the part as well though Selma that’s the question?”

“He’s been playing that part all his life Arlen but I can’t ask you to do that, not after what you’ve said.”

“You just leave that to me Selma I already have an idea how to broadcast the news we’re an item, and don’t worry I’ll be on my meds just in case.” I poured us both another drink whilst I let her think about that, now she was the one being dense, in the end I had to grab the bottle and show her where the bedroom was.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 30. Jun 15, 15:03

Lovers:

Sex was not what I had expected it to be, instead of being horrified at the passions they roused within me, under Selma’s gentle embrace I learnt to welcome them. She poured us both another glass of whiskey as I lay there trying to get my breath back. She walked back over to the bed sitting herself down on the edge next to me placing a tall glass in my hand, it was all I could do to stop myself throwing the glass away and dragging her back into bed with me, I wanted more of those sensations.

“Easy tiger” she breathed huskily “I need a chance to catch my breath as well you know. Any regrets?” She asked after a moment.

“None… you know that was the first time for me?”

“I figured it might be, but damn you’re passionate girl.”

“I didn’t hurt you did I?”

“Hell no…. if you did you can keep hurting me like that forever, seriously Arlen are you okay with this? I don’t want you sleeping with me because you don’t think you have a choice?”

“Hey it’s all good Selma.” I admitted surprising myself at that admission. She pushed me over to give her room to get in beside me, and we just sat there for what seem like forever just talking mostly about her and Sandy and the life they’d led till now, and our dreams for the future. I don’t know when we fell asleep but I’m pretty certain I did first.

The door alert was bloody irritating to say the least and my head was pounding, “stay put” I whispered giving Selma a quick peck on the cheek whilst I uncurled myself from her embrace and grabbed a robe from the cupboard.

“Alright I’m coming dammit” I shouted at the door. Ripping it open only to find Bran stood there with a hostess trolley and an embarrassed grin on his face.

“Sorry if I woke you Arlen I thought you two might want breakfast in private, listen… I fixed it with the outpost, told Saya your ship lost a thruster, and how to fix it when you get back. I took the liberty of saying you wouldn’t have any chance of getting back till later on today either.” It took a moment for what he had said to sink in.

“You broke my ship” I screamed at him outraged. I had just paid half a million credits getting it fixed for fracks sake, then I remembered what else he’d said grabbed the trolley moving it into the room before he could change his mind and kissed him soundly, which shocked the hell out of me and him both.

I slammed the door in his face and wheeled the trolley into the lounge, Saya stood in the bedroom doorway. She was tall for a woman but she had a marvellous body as I now knew. That prompted another chain of thought which went out the window as soon as she realised there was food on the trolley I knew I had no chance. She served breakfast whilst I sent Bran a quick apology and thank you message. I reckoned he would forgive me.

“That man must love you Arlen, what with the steaks, and I swear these are real eggs. Do you always eat this well?”

“Hardly Selma, most of the time I got by on what the bar sells or MRE packs, Bran has always sort of looked out for me here and I think he’s taken a shine to you not just because you’re my friend. I think he’s gone over the top a bit though, wait till you try the coffee.”

I swear the look on her face, she must have thought she’d died and gone to heaven when she tasted the Sonra, it was the one thing Bran and I refused to be without whenever possible. Extravagant at a thousand plus a case true, but it was worth every credit.

Selma got it into her head that we were going to spend the whole day in bed and whilst the idea had its merits I wanted to get a few things whilst we were on station. I swear I have never had such a hard time getting a woman to agree to go shopping. The angry looks she gave me when I made her try on a few outfits were I thought a little unreasonable. But I relented and agreed I wouldn’t buy them. I also agreed that we’d go for a late lunch back at Dal’s place rather than a restaurant. I did buy them of course but I had them delivered so she wouldn’t know till there was nothing she could do about it. Oddly the few bits I bought for Sandy she never said a thing about. No surprises there then.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 30. Jun 15, 15:19

Back to Basics:

Neither of us had wanted to leave the station, Selma had taken my insistence on returning hard which was why I had let her fly us back. Well that and the thruster Bran had messed with. How she kept us on a straight line I don’t know but she did. Only as we were coming into dock did she relent and give my hand a squeeze. Reassurance acceptance... Hell if I know but it was enough.

“Sandy’s ready for this right?”

“I warned him Arlen, he’ll follow your lead.”

“What about Dal? If he’s watching us….

“Leave him to me, trust me darling I can do rejected and pissed real well.”

“Time to put on a show then Selma” I said as we came to a halt in the workshop bay. I sprang the canopy and stood up on my seat.

“Saya get your ass out here so I can kick it” I roared leaping onto the landing platform. “You told me you had fixed this”. That distracted the inspection team long enough for a crew to start swapping out the faulty thruster module without them noticing.

“Pilot” Saya screamed right back at me “get your ass in my office, and I mean now Cadet!”

“Your turn Selma” I whispered before dropping to the hanger floor and stalking off to confront the chief throwing my helmet across the hanger to show how pissed I was. What followed next was a lot of screaming and shouting whose only purpose was to cover my ass for being overdue and of course to deliver Saya her case of whiskey.

“That about do it”

“Yeah they got the message, sorry for the delay Saya things got complicated. You did one primo job on my ship though.”

“Damn right girl I told you I was the best.”

“Saya I am a believer, and thanks.”

“Nuff said girl now get your ass out of here, I don’t want Selma getting jealous.” So Bran had told her about that, well so what? That was what I wanted wasn’t it?

Now came the hard part I looked through Saya’s office windows and saw Sandy standing all alone by the lifts. God the things I did for love I thought as I left Saya’s office slamming the door hard enough for Bran too hear it on the trade station. I ran across the workshop and threw myself all over Sandy. Only Dal was close enough to overhear us.

“Arlen what’s wrong did Saya hurt you?” good he was in the groove.

“It wasn’t Saya Sandy its Selma she... she said I can’t see you again. She says everyone thinks I’m some sort of freak and that it I’m… I’m no good for you.” Sandy was blinding he handed me a kerchief to wipe my tears then went storming of to have it out with Selma. Even I was convinced by the battle of words they had. Eventually Sandy came back to take me back upstairs leaving Dal to console Selma.

“Hell Arlen I could kiss you”

“Not yet Sandy that comes later we stick to the plan okay?”

He just grinned at that pretty much the way I just knew Selma was grinning at Dal about now, I didn’t like that thought, she was mine. I don’t share perhaps that explained the sudden urge I felt to kill the man, I would have to watch that.

It was the middle of the night when the lockers got pushed over, Sandy sprained his ankle doing it which was good we could use that, someone shut of the steam leaving us caught flagrante is I believe the term. I was on my back with Sandy trying to be a gentlemen and cover me with a towel. Whilst trying to push the lockers off me. It was embarrassing too say the least.

“Cadet Hayak what the hell are you doing” Screamed Corporal Slamer.

“Corporal Sir I was trying to find Arlen I mean Cadet Poler’s soap sir she dropped it.”

“That might work Hayak except for the fact Cadet Poler is in the men’s showers, can you explain that?”

“Corporal the soap bounced and Arlen… I mean Cadet Poler came over to give me a hand looking for it.”

Slamer was no one’s fool and what he was seeing did not add up, especially when Hayek’s sister showed up and started laying into Poler and her brother. At that point he had to act and stunned all three of them. Jesus what a cluster frack this was turning out to be.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 30. Jun 15, 15:35

Sandy:

Selma had told him how this would play out and whilst he trusted her he was not happy with the role she had demanded he take. Arlen was his friend for fracks sake, he didn’t want that to end. He grabbed his breakfast from the counter and limped his way over to an empty table, that didn’t stay empty for long as his roomies decided to join him.

“How’d it go with Slamer?” asked Dekes the leader of the group setting down his tray.

“Oh pretty much be more careful in the showers and if he caught us together in a similar situation he was going to plough me a new one type of speech. What did you expect?”

“Man you are awesome, we thought you were, odd you get it, but there you were playing with the Ice queen herself all this time. You are one dark horse man… how the hell did you manage that?”

Sandy swallowed what he wanted to say and told them what they…. what all of them wanted to hear.

“You guys have got Arlen all wrong, Ice!? No gentlemen she is fire, she just doesn’t tolerate wanna be’s. Do you guys even know who she is? No I thought not, watch this, that will tell you what she is all about.”

Sandy put up the link to the news feeds on his PDA showing Arlen taking down that Corvette. Only when it had ended did he speak.

“That’s what Arlen is people…. she is a veteran fighter with over a hundred confirmed kills to her name, yes over a hundred, that’s why she looks at us with disdain, because in her eyes we are kids…novices. The only thing she respects is a fighter, why else do you think I train with her knowing she’s going to hand me my butt every time we fight? To her we are children playing at being fighters, nothing more.”

“Man you are either brave or crazy or perhaps both, but I see where you’re coming from, respect man. But I gotta know is she as good in bed as she is in combat?”

“Deke I like you so I’ll say this just the once… She is an inferno, get my drift?”

That settled it Sandy could see the doubts and suspicions fade away but he didn’t like it.

I dropped my head into Selma's crib to see if she was okay, and more importantly had spoken to Sandy.

“So where are we at Selma?”

“Just where you said Arlen, Sandy doesn’t like it but I told him to suck it up so he’ll be cool. What about you though, those boys are going to be looking at you in a whole new way, ways I don’t like?”

“Jealous lover? Come on we’ve got a training bout booked.” Gods she was being dense. “The session is unmonitored Selma, grab a towel” I called back as I headed for the lift.

She didn’t like it but I got her angry whilst we were sparring by telling her I was considering making a man out of her brother, especially when I pointed out he was up for it in the showers. I mean it was not something he could exactly hide. That did the trick and she laid into me with a vengeance. She was sorry afterwards of course, and tried to make it up to me. I was too busy screaming in agony after she had broken my leg. I thought that would make the whole thing with Sandy more believable. I hadn’t thought it would hurt this much though.

The medics pushed her out of the way and put a splint on it, then Slamer and Dal showed up. I told them it was an accident which whilst not entirely true they had to accept my word. Even so they escorted Selma back to the accommodation dorm. Whilst I got taken down to medical.

A short while later I was released from medical, and went to grab a lunchtime meal, I saw Sandy surrounded by his so called friends. Selma came in just after I did and joined me as I put my plate down.

“Gods Arlen are you okay?”

“I’m just fine Selma it was a clean break, and I asked for it remember?”

“Why Arlen? I mean Sandy was just fine after last night why this?”

“Because they needed to see you go after me Selma, last night was a step on the road to making Sandy okay with them this just locks that down and makes them believers. Heads up Sandy’s coming over” I warned.

We weren’t a pretty sight Selma had a nice black eye coming and I had bruises to my face, not to mention the cast on my leg.

“Gunne’s sake Arlen, was all this necessary?” He whispered.

“Of course it was stupid, look the leg was an accident, my fault not Selma’s people had to see this Sandy now give us both a kiss and frack off and pack we’re leaving for Elena’s this evening. I told Slamer we were heading out early and he didn’t seem to dislike the idea, I got the impression he wants us of his hands.”

“You can’t fly like that Arlen”

“I’m not Selma is, don’t look so horrified she is a damn good pilot.”

“You and me obviously have a different take on that Arlen, but why the rush?”

“Because I want to be at Elena’s early lover, add to that the fact Slamer is not entirely happy at the way things are going down here… it’s time to move on, get me?”

Yeah he got it, the story we had put together would hold for now but we needed to be at Elena’s to make it stick. Add to that the fact that once we were properly enlisted, we would all be where we wanted to be, and wouldn’t be subject to such close scrutiny.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 1. Jul 15, 07:59

Debrief II.

Braks looked up from the report he had read still trying to get his head around the whole situation. Poler who the shrinks had warned him was potentially a killer if a man tried to get intimate with her was sleeping with a man they had suggested wouldn’t be interested in women.

Then his sister who Dal suggests swings both ways attacks Poler and her brother…. then the following morning breaks Poler’s leg when they are having a `training’ session in the gym.

“Alright Slamer explain this to me, then explain why you think I should let them go onto Elena’s earlier than planned.”

"Sir I think the Shrinks are right about Poler, I’ve seen the way she treats the other men in this entry. Sandy Poler they say is a potential Homosexual that’s why I think she’s able to have a relationship with him, she doesn't feel threatened by him. Hell there are hours of recordings of them combat training one on one and she never once tried to seriously hurt him.”

"Then what’s this with the sister why are her and Poler at each other’s throats all of a sudden? I got the impression they were friends?”

“The test flight sir, they had a thruster failure and had to land at the trading station. I think Selma took advantage of the opportunity to come on to Poler at the station and got told no and why. Dal told me after they landed Selma had told Arlen to stop seeing her brother. Then after the incident in the Showers where I had to stun all three of them they sloped of the next morning to have it out in the Cadets gym.”

Brak’s thought about that it all made sense, the sister was clearly over protective of her brother and then after being rejected by Poler tried to be spiteful and stop them having a relationship. Poler wasn’t having that of course, she was like a kid with a new toy, and so it came to blows. Kids with hormonal problems Gunnes what a mess. Still if Poler had straightened the brother out, she had done them all a favour. That left the sister it was the brother and Poler he was primarily interested in.

“Would it be better if we split the group up now Slamer, get rid of the sister?”

“I’ve spoken to all three of them since then and I think they regret what’s happened and have decided to be friends again. We should give them a chance to work it out, if they do we benefit because we get all three. If we interfere we may lose one or more likely all of them.”

“Good point… all right let them go you join them but travel with the rest of the entry, and when you get back to Elena’s you can revert to your proper rank. If they ask tell them you got promoted, I want you keeping oversight on them.”

“Understood sir.”

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Thu, 2. Jul 15, 12:41

My apologies, I have been re-reading this and noticed quite a few basic grammatical errors in several of my posts I am busy putting them right.

The Journey:

Selma handled the take of like a veteran, to be honest I didn’t like the way she had become so adept at handling her ship but what the hell I had already admitted to myself she was a natural so what else should I expect?

"Okay Selma set course for the west gate and put your foot down."

"You got it" Selma replied grinning like a fool again. Sandy almost cringed at how cheerful she sounded when she said that.

The way Selma threaded through the traffic was perhaps a little less than cautious but it was exhilarating. Soon enough we were through the gate and Selma started heading west again.

moving surreptitiously I opened a concealed panel revealing the jump drive controls. Entering the coordinates for the west gate of Elenas and initiated the jump.

"What the frack!" Selma screamed as space dissolved around us then immediately on emergence began manoeuvring violently to weave through the traffic around the gate.

“Set course for the trade station Selma, I’ve switched out my standard IFF so no one knows we're here yet”

“Shit girl you never told me this thing had a jump drive. Anything else I should know.”

I considered telling her about the turbo booster but a glance at Sandy’s pale complexion deterred me if I did I knew she would want to try it.

“That's something I’ll tell you after we dock now get a shift on.” Sandy looked like he was going to be sick again as Selma enthusiastically complied with that order.

"Right we’ll leave our stuff on board for the moment but we need to get you kitted out properly, now for the moment my name is Kareen Brano and you are my fare come on."

we left the ship by the now open the cargo bay and I cleared out my weapons locker on the way through, glad to be able to have a gun and knife at my waist again. I'd felt almost naked without them on the outpost in Aladna.

"Right customs will want to check the ship out so we’ll grab a coffee in the arrivals lounge whilst they do that." We walked down the surface of the rear hatch and stepped onto the hanger bay floor where sure enough a customs man was waiting with his kit.

I'd expected this and stepped forward and taking the man’s hand and flashing my licence's at the man.

“Hi there Kareen Brano I’m the owner these are my passengers we’ll be here for a couple of days.”

The man understood and noted them as such then asked me if I had anything to declare.

“No feel free to go aboard I’ll be in the arrivals lounge if you could page me when you’re done I’ll come back and lock her up.”

The man scanned my PDA to get code and told me he would com me shortly.

“Come on this way”. I led them across the hanger bay towards the Lounge the customs inspection would not take long and I wanted the two to of them parked where I could find them again once I went back to close up the ship. They followed me into the lounge and were surprised when I led them to an empty table instead of the bar.

“Waiter service only I explained as we sat down.

Sure enough a mizura after we had sat down a teladi showed up, I ordered for all three of us then began checking the station net for what I really wanted. It only took a mizura to make an appointment to view it a little later on then I sat back as the teladi reappeared with the beers and club sandwiches.

“You’ve been here before I take it”

“A few times Selma mostly just for a stopover, it’s convenient because of the outpost where I can rearm the Mamba if need be or get fuel cells for the jump drive.”

“Jeez Arlen how far have you travelled”

“Pretty much across most of the verse Selma, usually on convoy escort duties.”

“You ever been to Terran space?” Sandy asked intrigued by the possibility.

“Yeah I have..... and whilst it is different it’s a bitch to travel through they don’t have gates as such and it takes forever to get anywhere, the military insist on a maximum speed of 100 MPS which they enforce. Add to that you get scanned so often you could get a tan from all the rads you have to soak up.”

“Sounds like you don’t like them the Terran's overmuch.”

“I don’t actually dislike them, but they are arrogant sons of bitches Sandy. They honestly think they are the sole reason for the existence of the universe.” My PDA alarm chimed at that point.

“Hang on that’s the customs give me five and I’ll be back.”
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 14:39, edited 9 times in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Thu, 2. Jul 15, 12:45

Continued:

A short while later I was back, we finnished our drinks and passed through the checkpoint where the twins were given were given station visitor cards. The agent was waiting just the other side of the barrier and led us straight to the accommodations area where I'd located what I really wanted. The apartment was larger than the one in Aladna but it had two bedrooms and its own kitchen breakfast area with a reasonable level of equipment. The lounge was spacious and had its own displays wall mounted and built into the table. Selma and Sandy took the time to look the place over whilst I attended to business with the agent.

“The package said this place was available for long term letting what’s the price for a jazura initially, with a view to having that roll over perhaps indefinitely?”

“To be honest given the high quarterly rental charge you might want to consider buying the lease outright Miss Brano. The numbers are not that different.” The woman opened up the desk displays and input her security code. A moment later she had the numbers displayed for me to study.

“That’s a little steep but not out of reach, I’ll have to contact my company to get approval.”

“If it’s for a registered company I can sweeten the deal a little we give corporate buyers a discount.” The woman entered the discount and the numbers were much better from my point of view.

“That figure is within my purview, okay I’ll take it I will require total security so I want the master Card and a number of blanks I can authorise with it. Regarding the service charges I will set up a standing debit payment to our company account right away. We will of course want to make our own security arrangements.”

The woman understood such apartments were often used by company executives as love nests and they would want to be assured of absolute discretion.

“That's No problem Miss Brano when would you like the Lease to begin?”

“Immediately I will assume your accountants will want the lease date to start at the beginning of a Mazura so they can date it from two days ago. Just be sure they invoice my company from that date. I assume you can give me a hard copy of the contract.”

“Of course if you could just give me your company card I can do everything right now.”

I handed over the Gold Company card and saw the woman’s eyes widen at the sight of it. They were issued by the finance guild only to companies that held twenty million or more in escrow at their bank. It meant payment was guaranteed by the finance guild itself. She had never seen one before and looked at it for a moment before entering it into her tablet PDA. She handed that to me to place my thumb on it to approve payment then handed over the room’s master Key card and a box of Blanks. Along with the company card.

“The apartment already has a very good security system you simply insert this Key into the monitor to change the access code or to create new key cards.”

“Then we are done Miss Ranes. I will be staying here a few days with my colleagues to get it provisioned.”

“Of course, you will find some basics ready for use in the kitchen, it’s been a pleasure doing business with you Miss Brano. I will have the hard copies of the leasehold delivered along with station resident passes for you and your colleagues here before the end of the day."

The woman shook my hand then left clearly delighted at having completed the sale no doubt she would get a nice commission payment for that especially as I'd had paid the service charges in advance.

“MY god what did you just do Arlen?”

“I bought the lease Selma I wanted a place of my own near the outpost and this is perfect. Now I need to do a bit of shopping. Household items, bedding, towels, and foodstuffs or we will have to eat out all the time. Sit down and help me choose what we need to make the place cosy. I’ll have our luggage sent up here so we can unpack.”

Selma sat down and soon we were busy studying catalogues of the available goods on station ordering the ones we wanted and requesting immediate delivery. That started happening within five mizura Sandy got busy stacking the goods into separate piles on the other side of the lounge.

The foodstuffs he took straight into the kitchen and returning with a pot of coffee for them to share. I tasted it and immediately ordered a case of Sonra.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 14:24, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Thu, 2. Jul 15, 12:49

Continued:

“Okay that’s it anything we missed we can get later now we have to unpack this stuff.”

We spent a stazura doing that before I called it a day and took them to a restaurant I had made a note of whilst shopping earlier. The Maître de led us to our table and a waiter stood ready to take our orders.

Sensing their discomfort I ordered for all three of us, only when the food and wine arrived did they begin to relax a bit. They were still not happy with all this and I knew why, it was the cost they couldn't have afforded this and were uncomfortable with me paying for everything.

“Look guys this is my treat okay I can afford this and I want us to enjoy ourselves. Anything you buy on station you pay for yourself… Deal?”

“Deal” they agreed in unison instantly becoming more at ease with the situation.

“I didn’t know you were rich Arlen, said later as we lay in bed sharing a bottle of wine.

“Does it change anything Selma? I mean I don’t make an issue of it for obvious reasons but how else do you think a girl my age could afford a Mamba?”

“You are right I never even thought about that, but where did it come from? The money I mean.”

“Call it a payoff from my Family to stay out of their lives, they got rid of me when I was born and didn’t want me back. So after Suzeanne died I got full control of the trust fund they had set up for me.” It was a lie I had prepared to explain to anyone the amount of credits in my accounts.

I had set up a trust fund myself of course to hide the payments I received from my other line of work. As those payments came from an account within the Finance guild bank where mine was held, such payments were virtually untraceable.

“Gunne that is so awful, Arlen don’t you ever want to go back to show them they were wrong to treat you the way they did?”

“I was going to but they died, my real parents I mean after that there wasn’t any reason to go back. Now we have two whole days to go before we have to be at the outpost. So we can have some real fun."

"How's the leg?" She asked noting I had discarded the cast.

"A lot better those nanite things are terrific, now let’s talk about what we want to do tomorrow, or rather this morning.”
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 14:46, edited 4 times in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Thu, 2. Jul 15, 12:57

Continued:

The first thing we did was go to the station security office, I was wearing a business suit and carrying a small document case and looked every part the executive they were expecting to see. Sandy and Selma were similarly dressed it had taken an age to get Selma to put that suit on and now they looked like my personal bodyguards as I'd intended.

“Ms Brano I assume” the stations security chief asked as he offered me a seat. “I must admit you are younger than I was expecting.”

“Why thank you sir” I opened my case and handed over my security licences and identification papers that listed me as an executive with the Onyx security corporation based in Legends Home.

”Here’s my company credentials I trust there will be no difficulty in arranging matters?”

“None at all indeed I am puzzled as to why your people,” indicating Selma and Sandy with a glance “did not bring their own weapons with them.”

“A matter of courtesy sir, they left their weapons on our ship so that we could arrange matters properly with yourself.” The man liked that as I'd intended, it showed him and his office the respect that other corporate people failed to.

“Now we will be installing our own security to our apartment… this is no reflection on yourself sir merely a matter of company policy. Now to be blunt this is supposed to be a low key operation, I investigate matters of fraud and security issues for our company... as such this places me at a certain amount of risk, a risk my company wishes to negate hence my associates presence.”

“That is certainly understandable Ms Brano I will have their licences produced at once, would you care for a coffee whilst they are being prepared?”

“That would be most kind… do you have Sonra by any chance?”

“Of course” the man beamed at me for recognising him as a man who would prefer such a fine coffee. “We reserve it for our more prestigious clients.” The man made a call to an aide who returned a short while later with the coffees for all of us by the time we had finished them the licences were being delivered.

“Here you are Ms Brano and remember if we can be of any assistance please fell free to call on me or my people.”

“Most kind sir thank you, the coffee was excellent.”

I put the documents in my case shook his hand again and left. We then headed straight for the nearest weapons dealer and I let Selma and Sandy select appropriate side arms and stunners. They had both opted for shoulder holsters and we left a few minutes later looking the part of an executive with her two bodyguards to hand. I had to admit to myself they certainly looked the part. Perhaps it was the knowledge they were armed now that added that air of confidence to their otherwise ordinary appearance.

“Alright give Arlen what was all this about this morning and when the hell did you learn to act like that? I thought you were a company executive myself for a moment.” She asked as we sat at a bar in the mezzanine of the shopping mall enjoying a light lunch.

“Technically I am Selma, I just acted like Suzeanne and her friends did back in Legends home, listen you needed the licences to let you carry weapons on stations. I wasn’t joking about people who might want to harm me I’ve killed a lot of pirates in a short space of time and a few of them had friends who don’t exactly like me. Why do you think I always carry weapons?”

“Have you had to kill anyone Arlen, in person I mean?”

“I know what you mean Sandy and yes I have had to, look if it bothers you….."

“No it’s just well anyone tries to hurt you, Selma and me won’t have any trouble doing the same.”

Selma simply nodded her agreement her eyes hardening at the thought of anyone trying to hurt me. I found that genuinely heart warming.

“Okay once we’ve finished lunch we need to give you some practice using those guns, fortunately there’s a range on station we can use.” I made the call.

“Ah it’s …..

“Miss Brano, Kareen Brano” I said cutting off what Gari was about to say on recognising me. “My company wishes to make use of your facilities would this afternoon be possible?”

“Of Course Miss Brano. " Gari agreed catching my warning "please feel free to call in at your convenience, do you know our address? Don’t worry I’ll send you the directions.”

“There all arranged” I smiled at the pair of them.

They just loved the range area, Gari had an instructor working with them on the range whilst we sipped our wine, watching proceedings from the balcony overlooking the training areas.

“My apologies for earlier Sab… I mean Kareen, might I enquire?” He asked indicating the twins.

“As I said before Gari I intend joining the fleet for a while, I thought it prudent to have additional protection to hand.”

Gari looked at Sandy then Selma and a small dangerous smile touched his lips, “Then you have chosen wisely Kareen the young man looks dangerous even without the gun.”

“He is Gari, and he feels very protective toward me.”

“Then I shall ensure he is trained to your satisfaction, and the sister of course. They work well together I am impressed by your choices.”

“Thank you Gari they may make future use of your services please bill any charges to my account.”

“Of course Miss Brano any friend of yours is a friend of mine.” He smiled raising his glass.

I smiled back Gari would ensure that if ever Sandy and Selma were on station without me they would not be harmed. It meant I owed him a favour now and he liked that idea, he just better not be greedy. That he had assumed Sandy was the reason I had chosen them also suited me for other reasons.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 14:57, edited 4 times in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 18. Jul 15, 05:32

The Job:

The pair of them were enjoying themselves immensely, so I left them left in Gari’s care, To attend to the job I had really com here to do it was easy enough, taking less than half a Stazura. Before returning to collect the twins as I thought of them collectively now I made an encrypted call.

“It’s done keep an eye on the news the target will not leave this sector.”

“Understood payment will be made on completion, my thanks Sabine.”

We all returned to the apartment after I had managed to drag them away from the practice range. “Into the showers you two you stink.”

They just laughed leaving me alone in the kitchen area, I hung my jacket over the back of a chair reached into the cupboards, and grabbed a few bowls and some ingredients out of the fridge then went to work. The recipe was an old one I knew it came not from my memories but my sisters. That prompted a brief flash of rage within my mind which I repressed, regardless of the source I knew my real mother had made this dish many times, and that it had originated on earth itself millennia ago.

That didn’t matter it was easy to prepare and it was delicious. I was a barely passable cook at best save for this one dish which I’d practiced countless times to get right.

The meal did not take long to cook it was the preparation that did as soon as that was done I turned on the hob, and chased Sandy and Selma out of the Shower. Telling them too keep out of the kitchen as I did so.

“I think we should at least take a look Selma.”

“We will not Sandy, Arlen is doing something special in there and she wants it to be a surprise. Let’s not spoil it for her okay?”

“Why is she doing all this for us I mean, I know you two are an item jeez I don’t think I ever saw you fall for someone so hard before. But other than that why Sis?”

That was a question she had asked herself many times, she knew part of the reason but that was something she had sworn she would never tell anyone not even her brother.

“Its complex,” she began. “I don’t think she’s ever had a friend before Sandy… not a real one and in many ways she’s had a much harder life than either of us. I think she’s been alone in every way that matters to a body all her life, I think I... we make her feel wanted and loved.”

“Okay I get it, and its obvious how you feel about her I know there’s something you’re not telling me so I guess that’s personal between the two of you so I won’t pry. I meant what I said earlier though Selma anyone tries to hurt her they will regret it.”

“I know you did and so does she, perhaps that’s why she wants to do this she’s not comfortable showing her emotions so let her do this her way.”

I overheard them of course even with the shower running, I’d had my hearing augmented a while ago. It confirmed what I’d hoped to hear so I finished of my shower and strolled through the lounge to the bedroom to get dressed not caring that Sandy saw me naked.

“Yeah now I see why you fell so hard sis if I was straight you might have serious competition about now.”

“Good job I know you’re kidding brother or I might have to hurt you.” Selma warned in a tone he knew all too well.

Sandy put his hands up in surrender and waited for Arlen to emerge from her and Sandy’s bedroom. He knew his sister well enough to know she hadn’t been kidding when she had made that threat, she definitely loved the girl. Then he had to consider what Arlen had done for him back in Aladna, she hadn’t had to do that.

She had agreed to it as soon as Selma had asked and even embarrassed herself in the process. The broken leg had been he thought a step too far, and he suspected that Arlen had intended it to happen. She was too good a fighter for it to happen any other way. Perhaps he might be able to get an answer or a hint of one out of her over dinner, if not well he could live with not knowing. His sister was as happy as he could ever remember, and that was good enough for him.

That bought up an image of Galin who had been there to see them of when they had left home, he hadn’t spoken to him since then and he was worried.

“Credit for them Sandy” Arlen asked as she came back into the room and saw him staring into space.

“I was thinking of a friend I haven’t seen or even spoken to for a while” he admitted feeling the colour rise in his cheeks.

“A special friend I take it, then give him a call the communications from this apartment are encrypted and can’t be listened into either here or wherever he is. You can make the call from your room if you want a little privacy.” That bought him to his feet and dashing into his room.

“Thanks Arlen how’d you guess?”

“Easy enough I saw that instructor at the range make a couple of passes at him and he turned him down flat didn’t he?”

“Yeah he did, Sandy does have a special friend and he’s not the type to fool around. It’s been difficult for him not being able to call him.”

“Well that’s no longer a problem, if he wants when he gets some leave perhaps his friend could visit him here.” I think we’d have to get a room on station if we’re on leave at the same time at least for the first day or so. add to that the fact we have a jump capable ship handy so transport is not really a problem Montalar, is only four jumps away. Better yet why don’t you contact his friend when we know when we are going to have a wozura of leave and arrange a visit?”

Selma just grinned at that as she thought it over, if they could keep the visit a surprise, Sandy would be in bits it was perfect.

“Now you sit there whilst I start bringing dinner in Sandy can join us when he’s good and ready.”
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 15:06, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 18. Jul 15, 05:36

Continued:

That had Selma puzzled No doubt she had expected them to eat in the kitchen area this was a meal intended to be eaten at ones ease so the lounge was perfect. I tasted the dishes carefully adding a touch more seasoning then started loading up the trolley. I wheeled it into the lounge waving Selma back down when she started to rise from her seat and soon the table was covered with dishes and glasses before taking the seat next to Selma.

“Okay we might as well start Sandy’s will stay warm for him, watch what I do then do the same.”

Selma watched carefully as with practiced ease I placed a large portion of what looked like noodles on my plate then opened another pot and heaped a large portion of meat of some sort on top of them making sure I added lots of the sauce they had been cooked in.

“Your turn Selma” I took a spoon and fork and began eating, then stopped and dashed back into the kitchen returning with toasted bread that smelt odd. “Forgot the bread, go on dive in no table manners are required for this dish.”

Selma followed my example curling the noodles onto her fork with the help of the spoon then stabbed a piece of the meat. She bit into it and was amazed at the strange tastes and textures. After the first taste she was hooked and set to with a vengeance pausing only when I suggested she try a taste of the bread between forkfuls. That again was a totally new taste to her.

I poured us both a glass of wine which she took sips of between bites. ”This is amazing what is it?”

“It’s an old family recipe and I mean pre commonwealth Selma it’s called Sapghetti carbonara polpette with brad di aglio. Which in argon translates as spaghetti carbonara with meatballs and garlic bread.”

“I’m none the wiser but this is delicious.”

“Good don’t hold back with the fork and spoon I made loads of it I know what your appetites like.”

Sandy joined us a while later taking a place then at the table then after seeing how we were eating he followed our example, and soon was paying attention only to his plate. Even Selma had her limits and finally admitted defeat. I placed the remainder back into their containers and placed them in the chiller. There was more than enough left for lunch tomorrow.
Joining Selma back on the couch I settled back enjoying having nothing to concern me but the woman next to me and the glass in my hand.

"Arlen my compliments to the chef” Sandy said raising his glass “you are a woman of surprising talents.”

Selma agreed with that and we touched glasses and drank deeply, the wine was also special having come from the family vineyard, it really did compliment the meal. It was Sandy who raised the subject of his friend when he thanked me for letting him make the call indeed he looked much happier within himself than he had earlier.

“You are always make such calls to him from here Sandy which raises a subject we should get straight now at the outset. This is our private place I am going to give you both keys to the door but no one, and I mean no one from this sector, the outpost or fleet ever comes here. That’s why I registered it to my company and used a false id I use for business matters. Otherwise it’s yours to use as you will providing you don’t leave a mess, there is an exception to that of course Selma, you bring another woman here I will get mad.”

“Never going to happen lover” Selma agreed “you’re right though Arlen, the fleet ever knew about this place they’d start nosing into our business and none of us wants that.” Sandy indicated he was in full agreement.

“Okay that’s it except to add that I spoke to Gari whilst you were practicing and you have a free pass to the range, when on station, and before you ask what it cost, he does a lot of business with my company and was glad to make the offer.” That put them at their ease and they were obviously glad of the opportunity.

Sandy finally opened up and told me about Galin. It was a strange story
and he pulled no punches in describing how he felt about the man who he described as built like an ore truck and was considered passing ugly by most people. What few people knew about him was that he was a poet at heart and was deeply hurt by the comments people made about his appearance when they thought he couldn’t hear them.

“So how did you meet?” I had to ask.

“He publishes his poems on the net using an alias…. never sold any though, anyway I read a few of them and we got chatting on the site he uses. Eventually we agreed to meet up, imagine my surprise seeing him standing there waiting to meet me at the trading station in Lucky planets. He thought I was setting him up or something till I recited some of his poems back at him. Even then it was Wozura before he came to trust me as a friend. I guess he’d been hurt in the past. He told me earlier on he’s going to go for that job on the trade station Selma.”

“That’s good news Sandy dads mine was never the place for him. The men there are all thugs or worse. Well most of them.”

Sandy let that go and changed the subject and soon we were discussing what we would be doing in the morning. We never made any firm plans so settled on doing whatever took our fancy when we woke up.

“Enough” Sandy decided “you two turn in I’ll clean up so we don’t have to face it in the morning, and Arlen thanks this has been great.”

He meant a lot more than the meal but Selma had grabbed a bottle and dragged me off to our room before I could reply.

Selma closed the door behind them then kissed me, “Sorry Hun but I could see he’s close to tearing up… he doesn’t like people seeing him like that.”

“I thought he was happy?”

“Oh he is darling he hasn’t been this happy for ages trust me.”
That confused for a moment till I saw what Selma meant, he had spent his life hiding his feelings and wasn’t comfortable exposing them in front of others.

“He’ll be alright I promise darling now get those clothes of I want to thank you for that meal.”

I was happy enough with that suggestion. The fact that Selma had
forgotten to bring any glasses with them was okay we just drank straight out of the bottle. Later on in the middle of the night I had an idea, and sat down at the terminal desk in the room. I looked up the site on the net using a search engine and soon built up a selection of the poems and essays Sandy’s friend had written storing them in a separate file and the put a call through to one of Suzeanne’s friends.

“My god’s Arlen what ever happened to you, you just vanished?”

“Long story Lora, anyway to get to the point I remember you saying you were always looking for something different. I think I found something you might be interested in call me back on this link number and let me know.” I attached the file and sent it to her.

“Alright Arlen I’ll look at it but no promises.”

“I think you’ll be calling me back Lora.” I closed the link and shut down the terminal just as Selma touched me on the shoulder. Gunne’s she could move real quietly when she wanted to.

“What are you up to darling?”

“I’m not saying anything till she calls back Selma.”

“No doubt but promise me she’s not an old friend…. she isn’t is she?”

“She isn’t not the way you think Selma but she was one of the few people in legends that were ever nice to me.”

“Okay no more questions, well just the one you coming back to bed now?”

Silly question.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 15:13, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 18. Jul 15, 05:41

Galin:

The call came through whilst we were eating the breakfast Sandy had prepared for us, I transferred it to the terminal in the bedroom and saw Lora’s face on the screen as I’d expected.

“Arlen I am impressed I stayed up all night and read everything you sent me, the man’s a genius, now just promise me he’s not signed up to anyone else and tell me how to contact him.”

“How serious are you Lora there are a couple of things we both need to know before I give you what you want?”

“How serious? Are you kidding me? I want exclusivity and I want to publish everything you sent me. I also want him to sign a contract with me as his sole agent and publisher.”

One thing about Lora she never lied to people, “Okay now there’s a catch Lora the man is a close personal friend of a man I know and I don’t want him hurt.”

“What’s the catch it’s obviously not the fact your boyfriend knows him. That’s how you learnt about him isn’t it?”

“It is Lora the thing is well the man is an Ore miner and he’s not exactly handsome.”

“I don’t care tell me how to contact him and I’ll meet him myself contracts
in hand. I want to publish what he writes Arlen not his damn picture.”

“Okay one other restriction you found him on your own…. don’t mention my name or my boyfriend will think I’m doing this for him.”

“Which is exactly why you’re doing this I know now send me the contact details and get of the line so I can talk to him before someone else does.” I sent the contact details and closed the link before going back to finish breakfast.

Galin glared at the comm terminal as it interrupted his thoughts for the umpteenth time clearly the caller was not going to give up so he put down his tablet and answered the call startled to see a smartly dressed executive type on the screen in front of him.

“Mr Galin Kellar, I ‘m glad you finally answered I wonder if I could have a few moments of your time?”

“Of course he asked puzzled who are you?”

“Please call me Lora, I am on my way to the ore mine where you work and I want to speak to you, I assure you what I want to offer will appeal to you.”

“What exactly are you offering … Lora?”

“A Contract Galin if I may call you by your first name? I spent all night reading your works after finding them on the site you’ve been using. My job is to find people like yourself, I’m a talent scout if you will. I am quite serious about this Galin I am prepared to pay you an advance right this sezura if you will sign over the publishing rights to everything I’ve read so far to my company. You will no doubt have heard of the Legends Media Corporation, I am the CEO.”

She was serious Galin could see that, and she was definitely talking to him from a transport of some kind. Was this the success he had been hoping for so long it didn’t seem real? He checked the stations traffic control feeds and saw there was indeed a transport inbound to them about a half a stazura out that was listed as belonging to the company she had named. Transports never came here. It was real he realised the shock setting in.

“Sorry Lora alright yes I am very interested what do you want me to do?”

“Pack those possessions you want to keep, and meet me at the dock we can talk aboard my ship. Don’t worry about cargo limits Galin, there are none.”

“I’ll be waiting” he promised closing the link, wondering if he should call Sandy

No he would wait till he had signed the contract… knew this was for real. He wouldn’t want to get his hopes up, that of course didn’t stop his own heart from hammering away as he considered what he should do. Bath first he decided… definitely a bath.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 15:15, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 18. Jul 15, 05:44

Continued:

A few mizura later he was stood at the docks waiting for the transport to finish docking wearing his best clothes and carrying only his carry all. The rest he had left, if this all worked out he never wanted to see any of that junk again. A suit walked up to him from the ship after it had docked and offered to take his bag for him.

“Is there any other luggage sir? We have a crew standing by to load it?”

Frack this was actually happening, in a daze he said no and followed the man back into the ship was escorted to a large office at the far end of the cabin. The man opened the door and ushered him in. Sure enough the woman was there rising from her seat and guiding him to a chair at her huge desk.

“That will be all for now secure Galin’s luggage and have the pilot stand by for orders.”

“Of course Ma’am” The man closed the office door leaving them alone in the room.

“Would you care for a drink Galin I have quite a selection?”

“I definitely need a drink Lora a… strong one.”

“No doubt a bit of a shock to you” she said reaching into a cabinet behind the desk and pouring them both a large whiskey.
Galin took a sip of the whiskey noting it was smooth and silky not like the crud he was used too.

“Okay I’m very interested in being published what do you need from me Lora?”

“I want you to read this and then sign it, it guarantees you a minimum retainer per Jazura and advance payment for the works I’ve read so far in the sum that my people have put… yes just there” she replied pointing to the number that was ridiculously large on the pad in front of him.
He’d never seen a number that big before and she wanted to give him that right now. He glanced at the rest of the details then finished his whiskey in a single gulp and put his thumb on the pad.

Lora retrieved the pad from him then pressed a button on her desk and told the pilot to return home.

“Another whisky then to toast our working together Galin” she suggested refilling his glass noting his hands were shaking. The Transport cleared dock a few moments later and within a Mizura they were back in her home sector. “We’ll be docking in half a stazura Galin let me go through what you can expect from us up front, Chime in whenever you have something you want me to consider.”

Lora laid it all out for him, one step at a time he only occasionally touched his whiskey after that so at last he wasn’t a drinker, Arlen had found her a rare prize. Yes the man was far from handsome but a decent suit and put him in the hands of a few of her staff to attend to minor details and he would not be the ogre Arlen had described. She made a decision based on that.

“Galin we simply don’t have time to finish this before we dock, join me for lunch. That way we can take our time, and it will I think give you a chance to let all this sink in.”

“I am afraid these are the best well in fact the only clothes I have now Lora”

lords the man was actually embarrassed. “Then I shall have Ames attend to that when we dock, I want you to feel comfortable working with me, and at the same time he can show you the apartment I’ve set aside for you to use.”

That settled the man relaxed and they began started talking about his works that she had read instead. The man was definitely a brilliant poet a least a league above some of the hacks she usually had to speak to. The ship docked all too soon and she gave Ames very precise instructions on how to behave with regards Galin. He had been the man she had tasked with finding Arlen when she had vanished. She was starting to suspect he hadn’t tried too hard. No matter she would bring him to book over that later.

“This way please sir” Ames asked leading him to a transport that whisked them away from the docks and into the centre of the station in a few mizura. They were taken to a plush residence where Ames led him to what he assured him was to be his apartment and ushered him in. Fortunately the staff were on hand to take Galin of his hands whilst he made some frantic calls.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 15:17, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 18. Jul 15, 05:46

Continued:

Galin looked into the mirror barely recognising himself. He had been subjected to the attentions of a host of experts since arriving and this was the result. If Sandy were here this would totally blow his mind.

“Is the suit all right sir?” Ames asked anxiously glancing at his wrist PDA they were due at Lora’s soon and she hated tardiness.

“It’s better than, ok my PDA where is it? I’m expecting a com call.”

“I took the liberty of having this wrist PDA programmed with your com number sir, as you can see it is quite discreet and goes well with the suit.

Galin slipped the band over his wrist amazed at the size of the thing. “I’ll get my calls on this?”

“I guarantee it sir now if we could move along..... Lora is expecting you for lunch."

Lora had to admit Ames had achieved a stunning transformation. She led him into the lounge and began to introduce him to the few guests she had invited. She had thought of dining alone with Galin but now as she saw how easily he replied to the greetings of the others present. As luncheons go it was very pleasant, successful even but Lora was glad when she finally got to talk to Galin in private after they had left. They went over the details of the contract again and Galin was more than happy for her to see what he was currently doing and a lot of stuff he had never put on his site.

“That raises a question Galin, now that you are working for me I would rather you didn’t publish anymore on that site unless of course we have decided not to go for it.”

“That’s understandable Lora I doubt there’s more than a handful of people who actually read my stuff anymore. Too be honest I was thinking about closing it down anyway, I’m glad I didn’t before you found it.”

“As am I Galin well I think that’s enough business for now, so tell me what are your thoughts on what you’ve seen of us so far?”

“Well It’s a little overwhelming too be honest, I’ve never seen such luxury nor been able to enjoy it. I‘m not complaining mind but what if I’m not comfortable in that big apartment, do I have to stay there?”

“That’s entirely up to you Galen you can stay anywhere you want in the verse as long as you keep writing and sending me your work. Let’s just consider it temporary lodgings till you have a chance to settle down.”

“There is one other thing do you think it would be possible to make a com call?”

“Of course Galin I’ll leave you in private” Lara activated the terminal and gave him the room suspecting she knew who he would be calling. Arlen would get the message.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 15:19, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 18. Jul 15, 05:51

Last Day:

I glanced at the time piece and reckoned that by now it would be mid-afternoon in Legends. We had decided to pack only the essentials we would need for the trip to the outpost in the morning even so we had plenty of time for a leisurely lunch a late private dinner then early to bed.

Lunch was the meatballs I had made the previous day, it was easy enough to make some more pasta and toast some more bread Selma joined me to give a hand which whilst unnecessary I accepted. The only difference was that she added a salad as a side dish. The meal was swiftly done and once again we sat in the lounge, taking our time over the meal when the com link chimed. Selma was closest so she went to the wall terminal and answered it.

“Hi Selma is Sandy there I need to speak to him.”

“Hold on I’ll put you through Galin”

She put the call through to Sandy’s room and told him it was a call for him. Surprised Sandy took his plate with him and went to take the call.

“What did you do Arlen” she whispered as she joined me back at the table.

“You’ll find out in the minute, but I assure you I have done nothing merely advised a friend of mine to look at some of Galin’s work. Whatever has happened is down to her not me, and that’s the truth of it?”

Selma thought about that and had to agree if all Arlen had done was show Galin’s poems to someone then whoever she had spoken to last night had done whatever she had for her own reasons.

“Alright I won’t say a word but thank you anyway it’s going to make Sandy so happy.”

“Let’s hope so Selma even I don’t know what, if anything Lora has done, I am as anxious to know what that is as you are.” We paused eating and waited for Sandy to return, he wasn’t long and the grin on his face said it all.

“Some bigshot publisher has signed Galin up… he’s in legends Home right now talking with the boss of the company herself. She wants to publish everything he’s done and he says she has read all of it.”

Then I think instead of eating in this evening we treat ourselves to a decent
meal at a restaurant to celebrate instead” I suggested.

“Well the plus side of that is there won’t be any dishes” Selma agreed.
Sandy was more than happy to go along with that and I could see that he didn’t care what they did. My main concern had been that he wouldn’t distracted during the coming mazura, if his friend benefited in the process well that was all to the good. Lora must have been more impressed than she’d hoped she would be. I had not lied to Gari about my reasons for Sandy and Selma to become attached to me. Of course that would all fall apart if they realised I was manipulating them. I'd gone with my instincts having learnt how much Galin meant to Sandy that seemed to have worked out. Thank Gunne Lora thought the man actually did have talent.

The Call from Lora came whilst I was getting dressed for the evening, Selma was in the room with me but I told her to stay truth be told I wanted her to hear this to put to bed any lingering doubts she had about what I had done for Ganil.

“Lora how goes it?”

“Very well indeed Arlen I wanted to thank you for sending me that collection of poems, the man you pointed me at is a rare talent.”

“I can’t take any credit for that Lora my friend told me he was good so I read some of his stuff and I thought it might appeal to you.”

“Well whatever, if you keep an eye on our cultural feeds you’ll be seeing a lot of his work in the future. On a separate note I have to ask why you left I sent a man to trace you but he says he couldn’t find you.”

That I remembered shortly after leaving Legends I heard that someone was asking about me so I had kept moving on.

“Not his fault then Lora I didn’t want to be found then, and I kept moving around a lot.”

“That’s a relief then I was beginning to worry he might have lied to me about how much effort he put into the job I gave him.”

“Look Arlen I’m going to cut this brief I’m exhausted I just wanted you to know how much I appreciate what you’ve done for me, let’s keep in touch even if it’s just a message. I was worried about you when you vanished.”

“I will Lora, you’ve got my com number now take care of Galin for me and I’ll consider us evens”.

A soon as I closed the link to Lora Selma hugged and kissed me. “You really just gave her his name? I’ll be honest I thought you had arranged all this.”

“Hardly Selma that was Lora the CEO of the Legends media group she’s so rich she makes me look poor, if she’s contracted Galin she’s done that because she wants him working for her, she didn’t get where she is by doing anyone any favours. Now zip me up and we’re done here.”

Sandy was waiting for us in the lounge and a short while later we were enjoying a quiet meal in the restaurant, we didn’t go mad with the wine we had an early start to make in the morning. Even so the evening was enjoyable, Sandy seemed to be able to be more himself now and happily joined in the conversation instead of hanging back and mostly listening. We called it a night early and instead of sitting up till the early hours talking we got our heads down.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Creative Universe”