Sabine: The rise of an Assassin:

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 18. Jul 15, 05:56

Boot Camp:

Sandy cooked breakfast for us which we all ate in the kitchen area together. It took an age for me to explain to Selma why I wanted us to jump to Presidents end then back into the sector by the southern gate. Fortunately Sandy saw the reason and explained it to her.

“Listen carefully Selma, at the moment the Mamba is carrying the IFF code of Kareen Brano who is registered as a resident here on this station. If we switch that to her real IFF in sector the fleet will see it and become suspicious and start checking Kareen here and this apartment out. We agreed we want this kept secret from them remember?”

“Then why didn’t you just say that Arlen?”

“She has been for the last ten Mizura Selma now let’s finish this coffee of before we go, I doubt we’ll be getting Sonra in the mess.”

“Damn right there” I agreed pouring us all another cup. Before I closed up the apartment I called the security office and advised them that any deliveries were to be held in storage and that the Apartments security systems would be active till we returned. That alerted them to the fact that if they detected anyone approaching the apartment till I or a registered and acknowledged company employee told them otherwise they would detain anyone who tried to gain access. It was a simple enough thing to do and added an additional layer of security they were happy to provide for free so win, win in my eyes.

Selma jumped us to presidents then as soon as I had switched over the transponder modules jumped us back in at the south gate of Elena’s. It was actually quicker doing it this way as well as we ended up pretty close to the outpost. Selma behaved herself and landed without hot rodding it. We had all put our weapons in the secure stowage locker on board and stepped off the back of the ship and headed for the Customs point where I had the cargo bay access ready for the inspection team when we reported in.

“Thank you cadet Poler that will be returned to you once we have carried out the normal safety checks now if you would follow the marine she he will take you to the induction centre.”

We all followed the woman as she took us straight up a couple of levels where we joined the other members of our intake. Corporal now Sargeant Slamer came over to speak to us when he saw us walk in.

“Cadets I thought you were going to be late… did you get lost on the way here?”

“My fault Sergeant” I admitted “I wanted to take the chance to have a little quality time” I said reaching out and giving Sandys butt a squeeze.

Slamer let that go the kid looked like a teladi who’d just found a case full of credits and he was grinning like a fool, seems the girl had done more than straighten him out.

“Okay join the rest of the group and you’ll all be guided through the induction process together.”

I watched him walking off and knew he had bought the whole thing, the appreciative looks the guys were giving Sandy didn’t hurt either. Only Selma looked a little put out with her brother.

“Relax” I whispered “pretend you got yourself laid as well.” That bought a smile back to her face as we walked over and were greeted by the others. Where we told the outrageous lies we’d rehearsed about what we had been up to for the three days we had been gone.

The induction process took all morning, and the only respite we had was when we were all ushered into what would be our canteen for the next Mazura wearing our freshly starched uniforms. Sandy got dragged over to the boys tables whilst the girls ensured we had their undivided attention.
Apparently there had been a lot of speculation about what we had got up to when we had failed to turn up at the Outpost till this morning, apparently Slamer had asked them all about that.

“Man he was pissed, thought you might of decided to change your mind and not show up, now tell us all about what you and Sandy got up to no secrets here right?”

“Who made that rule up Sara? All I am going to tell you girls is that my lover and I spent a lot of time wining and dining and plenty of better quality time in bed.” I felt Selma give my thigh a caress under the table. Then it was her turn for the third degree. It seems Sara had been appointed to ask us all the questions they wanted answering.

“What can I tell you girls? She replied grinning like a cat that had got the cream, “I spent an inordinate amount of time having great sex.”

That seemed to satisfy them I was concerned about what Sara had said about Slamer, and it only confirmed my suspicions that the three of us were still being watched. I glanced over to Sandy and caught his eye he just grinned at me so I blew him, a kiss aware of the other guys watching me now. If that didn’t make them believers nothing would.

Sandy saw what she did and he knew why she did it he hadn’t answered any of their questions but that kiss she blew him gave them all the answers they could want or imagine, well that and the grin he couldn’t help.

Dekes gave him a slap on the back muttering “respect man” when Arlen did that.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 15:32, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 18. Jul 15, 06:04

The party is over:

We were marched to what we would later learn was normally a training room where a stage had been put up An officer flanked by Slamer entered the room The officer went to the rostrum and looked each of us in the eye before he began speaking.

“You are now all cadets and as such under military regulations, you will no longer be addressed as anything other than cadet. My job is to ensure that you are all bought up to a level of fitness that is regarded as the minimum to progress in the fleet any of you who fail to achieve that will be held back until the next batch of cadets arrive. That will not happen… I have never had a cadet held back and none of you want to know what I will do to anyone here who attempts to let me down is that clear?”

“Sir, yes sir” we all shouted back in unison.

“Good now this afternoon Sergeant Slamer will show you to your billets, you all know the man and he knows all of you. He is now your company sergeant His job is to ensure that you are bought up to speed regarding military regulations as quickly as possible. He is no longer your baby sitter and if you think I seem harsh… I advise you not to incur his anger. He is less forgiving of failure than I am. That is all.

“Company atten….tion” Slamer shouted in a voice loud enough to be heard in Aladna hill.

We snapped to attention as best we could and the officer left us alone with him. He then marched and I mean marched us to where we would be living for the next mizura. Once there he had us drop our kit bags at the end of the corridor that ran the length of the room or billet then marched us to the canteen. He bawled Deke’s out when the fool moved as if intending to grab a seat and put him back into line none too gently.

“Let me get this straight at the outset you no longer speak, sit, stand, shit or piss unless you are ordered to do so. Anyone who does otherwise will receive a demerit. Get enough Demerits and you get to go on a punishment detail during your off duty hours… They are not pleasant nor are they meant to be is that clear?

“Yes sergeant” we shouted back at him.

“Good then there is hope for you yet. Now Poler stand over there. Dekes you stand over there with her and so it went on till he had ten of us isolated from the others. The rest of you wait here till you are sent for Poler Follow me”

I marched back to the billet where he entered what was obviously his office and stood to attention whilst he sat down. I didn’t relax wandering what was going to happen next, I kept telling myself I had volunteered for this.

“At Ease Poler” he waited for me to assume the stance before continuing.

“Poler where did you disappear too?” I knew he wasn’t entitled to know that but I also knew that if I didn’t he could make life difficult for me her.

“Sergeant I took the opportunity to settle matters with Sandy and Selma Hayak and myself.”

“Good that showed initiative and what were the results of that? The last I saw was you and Cadet Selma Hayak were at odds with each other.”

“Sir she was upset because I embarrassed her, we got it straightened out and we are all good now sergeant.”

“And what about her brother?”

“As I said sergeant we are all good with the situation” I said forcing myself to blush by thinking of what me and Selma had got up to.

“That’s what I wanted to hear Poler because the ten names I picked out will be quad leaders, they will choose three of the others not listed on another quad leader’s card to join their team. In some cases I have chosen people I think should be in which team this is your card. Send one of the other leaders to me then wait in the canteen, collect the names on your card and think about who else will fit in with your team. You may tell the cadets they can sit down now this will take a while. Do not make me regret this Poler.

“No Sergeant” I replied snapping to attention and accepting the card before marching back to the canteen. “Your turn Dekes I” called out “the rest of you sit down sergeants orders Sandy, Selma you’re with me.” Why was I not surprised when I had seen their names on my card?

“Okay this is how it works, Bran sent me a heads up on this whilst we were on the trade station, we will train and compete against each other in quads. Now we need to pick a fourth member that is not on the other leaders cards who can work with us as a team. Think about it about our situation and give me some suggestions, and remember we aim to win."

We discussed various possible candidates but waited till all the leaders were back with their preselected people before we made our decision it was actually Sandy who suggested him. Mostly because he was pretty certain no one else would. I questioned his choice though but the reasons he gave made all kinds of sense. Me I was the leader, he was the fighter and Selma the extra muscle if necessary but Pico was neither of those he was a bit of a nonentity till Sandy suggested he was hiding the same as he was, and was also a skilled computer expert. That settled it for me as it stood we would make a great boarding pod team which was what this training would ultimately lead to. It was how the fleet wanted their people to act right from the outset of training.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 15:35, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 18. Jul 15, 06:06

The team:

Pico was as startled as anyone else in the room when I called him over and he kept looking at me as if I might change my mind. That was till he sat down and I explained the reasons for our choice, he was smart as whip and got it straight away. Only then did he relax and look at us all with a feeling that he had a right to be sat with us.

“I’ll try not to let you down” he promised.

“We will do the same” I assured him “now this is our team and we watch each other’s backs the best way to do that is for us to keep what goes on between us strictly to ourselves. The other team leaders will be trying to best us in the training ahead, some of them won’t play fair so what we discuss amongst ourselves is our business no one else’s.”

Slamer came back in the room then after telling us to stay seated and came round and accepted our cards back. He glanced at me and gave me a brief nod of agreement at my choice before moving to stand at the door to address us.

“Right you may remain here for the moment your evening meal is due in a couple of mizura so there no point running you back and forth. Now after your meal you will return to your billets in an orderly manner. You will be quartered together in the quads you have selected. There will be no repetition of the events in the showers that took place in Aladna hill is that clear? Other than that you will eat sleep and work together in your quads the fleet does not offer separate facilities but any breach of discipline will be applied to the quad as a whole is that understood?”

We shouted the affirmative response he expected to hear even though I was blushing furiously.

“That will be all then Cadets get a good night’s rest we start training in earnest at reveille tomorrow.” The man left us too it and a few moments later the shutters went up at the far end of the room.

“Hey Dekes” I shouted out to him “We queue up in our quads okay you first. He took his place at the start of the counter followed by his team, I went second then the other leaders followed our example.

“Good call Arlen” he admitted as we waited for the cooks to signal we could start moving.

“Makes sense Deke we want our teams to eat together this is the best way of seeing that happens. I suggest the quad leaders head the queue then their teams join them every meal time.”

The other team leaders all called out their agreement and so we got the first rule established. The others we would work out as we went along.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 18. Jul 15, 06:11

Continued:

Our kitbags had been left at the far end of the corridor of course. “Okay let’s form a queue again I’ll go first this time.” I led my team to the end and we found our bags then located our billet and got out of the way.

The four man room wasn’t exactly spacious but there was room enough for us to move about. Me and Selma got the bunks on one side Sandy and Pico the other. Once that was settled we put our kit away as specified in the room manual. That was laid on each bunk.

By mutual agreement we read the manual then made our way to the rec room we had been allocated according to the manual we could use it when not on duty. I thought we should spend some time getting to know each other or rather for Pico to get to know us. Some of the other teams started drifting in.
We ignored them, Pico seemed a nice enough guy a little bit shy but he was smart as Sandy had promised.

“Okay let’s get some rules clear so that we are all working together. I want us to be the top team out of our entry. We chose you to ensure that happens Pico.”

“Yeah I did wonder, don’t get me wrong I am made up to be with you guys.”

“Then I want you to listen and hear what I am saying, the rules are there to be obeyed and as a team we will obey them. If we want to be the top team we can’t earn a single demerit.”

“Isn’t that going to be a bit difficult Arlen?” he asked glancing to Sandy.

“No my lover and I have agreed to restrain ourselves till we are done with this hell if we can’t do that much then we’ve got no chance of getting through training let alone anything else. Having said that we have agreed that we are known to be together, for the same reason I want you to act like that with Selma that way we won’t have people coming onto you or her to try and get our quad in trouble which they will.” I could see his relief at that suggestion which made me think Sandy had weighed him up correctly.

“I promise all of you I won’t step out of line.”

“That’s a shame” Selma purred “I think you’re kind of cute.” The bitch was doing that on purpose so I kicked her under the table.

After that we just sat back and chatted together spending time weighing him up whilst he was doing the same with us. I called it early suggesting we all grab a shower then got our heads down. To be honest I wasn’t looking forward to this bit but I had practiced being naked in front of Sandy and if any one so much as touched me I was fairly sure either Selma or Sandy or both would slap them down for me. We stripped of in our room and trooped to the showers together carrying our shower bags fortunately the showers were in separate stalls and the room was filled with steam. I hung up my robe and stepped into the stall soaping myself up good. All in all I was pleased with the way things had gone, Pico seemed sound enough and if he was as good with computers as he was quick of thought I couldn’t see how we could fail.

“Want me to rub your back Arlen?” Selma asked sticking her head into my stall.

“No I’m good” I said smiling knowing she was just enjoying herself teasing me. A fact she confirmed by winking at me before pulling her head back.

I rinsed myself of then walked across to get my robe ignoring the eyes on me, satisfying myself with the thought there was only one person in this sector who had earned that right.

Let them look they will never know us as Selma does

The rage was gloating I realised it was enjoying their futile longings, I could let them see what they desired and mock them for their doomed hopes. With that thought in mind I threw my robe over my shoulder and sauntered casually back to our room, the rest of the team followed suit of course. With the other teams looking on in amazement.

Only when we were back in our room did we relent Selma picked me up in her arms and kissed me.

“That will totally frack them up Arlen, you can look but you will never touch is the message they just got. Where the hell did that idea come from?”

“It Just did when I saw them all looking at me as I stepped out of the shower, I thought hell I’ve got a good bod and I’m secure enough in my lover to know the gesture would be understood, I must admit you all following my lead impressed the hell out me.”

“Hell Arlen what else could we do? I noticed a few of the girls taking a good look at both Sandy and Pico as well. They were liking the view as well, hell… I know I was.” she teased.

It didn’t last of course the next day there were notices prohibiting nudity in the corridors. It earned us a lot of respect from the rest of the teams. That was signalled by the round of applause we got when we went into breakfast. Slamer clearly wasn’t impressed a marine came in whilst we were eating and ordered me to report to his office after I’d eaten.

“Shouldn’t we go with you, Slamer said he expected us to work as a team?” Pico asked.

“No let’s not push it… if he was real pissed he wouldn’t have sent a messenger.” I knew why he wanted to speak to me alone of course and there were some things I was not prepared to share.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 15:40, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 18. Jul 15, 06:13

Ticked Off.

“At ease Poler” Slamer said pivoting his chair round to face me.
I could see he had been watching the recordings of us trooping back our room naked.

“What was that about” Poler?

“I was trying trying to prove something sergeant.”

“What that you are a good looking young woman. That is self-evident. Or were you trying to impress me with your restraint?”

“No sergeant to myself that I could do that… without reacting the way I thought, and you clearly thought I might. I was proving a point to myself.”

“Trial by fire, I can respect that…. I assume you dosed yourself up before pulling it?”

“No sergeant haven’t had a shot in four days and I’m just fine in myself.”

“Then I am doubly impressed clearly that young man of yours has cured you of that at least.”

“Now look at this what do I see here?” He activated a second recording showing the other teams applauding us earlier.

“I’ll give you a clue” he said when it was clear I couldn’t see what he was getting at.

“On the left your team followed you without question, that showed they respected your wishes… On the right the entire company showed they respected what you did. Do you see what you did? I’ll tell you… that stunt you pulled got them thinking as a single unit, keep doing that and you will go far Poler… more than that you will make me a happy man. Just do one more thing… start taking your shots again, it will keep the medics happy. You can go.”

Once Poler had gone he reran the recording on the left again, it seemed there was another reason Pico had been chosen as he watched the way Selma Hayak was looking at him. Still as long as they didn’t break any regulation’s he could live with that.

I was marching back to our room when I got what he wanted, the whole company had to pass that meant we would have to drag the weakest of us along in our wake. We were expected to win the trick was to do so without letting any of the other teams fail.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 18. Jul 15, 06:14

Graduation Day:

We were back in the drill hall as we had now come to call the place since our arrival. We were all now dressed in our new fleet grey uniforms. We were no longer cadets. More than that my quad had aced it so I was feeling more than a little bit of pride in us for our achievement.

That nameless officer was on the stage again and he looked pleased as well he should. Not a single quad had fallen below average expected results let alone passed at minimum. He rattled of what I am pretty sure was a set speech then dismissed us in our Quads presenting me with the pendant for top scoring quad and the others received praise as well mostly in the form of merit notices that would look good on their records.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 15:42, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 18. Jul 15, 06:18

Continued:

We weren’t off the hook yet though once we were dismissed we were expected to attend the passing out reception that was being held that evening at one of the bases many large conference come dining halls. Pico’s parent were attending as were Selma and Sandy’s so me and Selma went down to the hanger deck and retrieved a case each from my mamba.
A short while later I was knocking on the door of Sergeant Slamer’s office.

“Come in Poler” I went in wondering how he knew it was me.

“What can I do for you Arlen technically you are on leave?”

“I have a favour to ask Sergeant can I borrow your office for about an hour.”

“Why do you need to use my office? Spit it out Poler I have to get ready for the reception this evening as well.”

“Me and Selma need somewhere to get changed Sergeant.”

“Then I shall leave the office to you…. close it when you leave. Go and get those cases you’ve got hidden round the corner and tell Selma she can come out now. One more thing Poler you exceeded my expectations and more than that you heard what I told you…. well done.”

The man left without another word. Leaving me standing there with my mouth hanging open. I went after him and gave Selma a hand with the cases. The knock on the door came when we were ready Sandy grabbed the cases and took them to our room then came back with Pico in tow.

The reception had already started by the time we arrived but you could have heard a pin drop when we walked in, me on Sandy’s arm and Selma on Pico’s we both looked drop dead gorgeous. We were expected to meet the families first on arrival so we walked over to where the Hayaks were seated. Sandy had paid for the transport to bring them here. So there were quite a few of them. Selma stepped forward and spoke quickly in a whispered conversation to her mother before stepping aside to allow Sandy to present me.

“You can only be Arlen…. My you are a picture girl no wonder you’ve stolen my babies heart.”

I knew Selma had told her which one of her baby’s hearts I’d stolen and her words confirmed she approved…. more than that…. she was a willing party to the deception we were playing here.

"Ma’am it’s an honour to meet you" I murmured before Sandy’s father stepped up and hugged me. His eyes said it all whatever doubts he might have had about Sandy were gone. Hell I could see him looking at the four of us and wondering which marriage to arrange first. I made all the right noises though and I watched with satisfaction the way he shook his son’s hand. Sandy led me through the introductions to his aunts and uncles. I knew he didn’t like this deceit but hell it was Selma’s call and I went with it. Why not? I was the living proof that all those who doubted Sandy’s manhood in their eyes were wrong. I knew he was never going back to that mine his father owned so why not make the man feel happy about that. We then went and met Pico’s family.

Once we had finished greeting the families Sandy led me over to the tables where most of our company were seated. It was Sara who said what the girls were all thinking.

“Arlen you are a bitch how the hell did you get an evening gown to wear tonight?”

“Preparation Sara, I’ve told you that before.”

“Yes you have….. and I have got to admit I admire that, Gunne girl you look stunning.”

“Look Sara I did this…. not to make you girls to look bad but to make Sandy look good in front of his folks, I wanted to impress them.”

“Hell girl” Dekes pitched in, “consider them impressed as am I respect Arlen...Sandy, Selma, Pico.”

Sandy shook his hand to show he understood what he meant.

“So Arlen any chance of a dance later I mean I know I can’t compete with your man here but it would be an honour.”

“Deke’s you’ve been a good friend to me here so I think the honour would be all mine, and yes I’d be glad to dance with you as long as you behave.”

“Wouldn’t dream of doing anything else Arlen.”

“He’s only saying that because he knows Sandy will be watching him like a hawk” Sara pitched in. That cut the ice and we joined them at the table Dekes sent one of his quad of to get us some drinks. The man came back with a couple of bottles which we all shared.

I raised my glass “A toast people to the best damn company ever to pass through basic”. We all drank to that, Dekes saw what I was saying, that we had all made it through more than that…. we had done it better than anyone else and that I recognised he had been a part of that.

“Respect girl.” He said and this time he meant it.

Selma and Pico came over to the table, he had grown… no longer the butt of people’s jokes they looked at him in a new light especially since Selma had made it clear he was off limits to the other girls.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Sat, 18. Jul 15, 06:21

Continued:

The music started and Sandy led me to the dance floor closely followed by Selma and Pico, I must admit I enjoyed the attention we were getting. After the first dance Deke’s cut in and he behaved himself.

“Arlen you look beautiful this evening and I admit I am jealous of Sandy, hell I am jealous of Pico I just wanted to say thanks, I got what you said just now.

“I know you did, but what I said was all true Deke’s it took both of us to get the whole company through, hell we only beat you by half a point.”

“That’s true” he admitted “want a rematch?”

“What and go through basic again? …. No way Dekes.” That got him laughing again.

The evening went on pretty much like that and I danced with everyone who asked me, I was glad however when I was finally able to sit down again I was looking around the room when I saw Slamer, I hadn’t seen him arrive which annoyed me on too many levels, what did surprise me was the women he was escorting just looking at her had all sorts of warnings going off in my head especially when she…. not Slamer led them to our tables.

“Ladies gentlemen I would like to introduce you to my wife Ceri, she wanted to meet you all.”

That was a lie, well most of it I watched as she introduced herself to every member of the company, she knew everyone by name. Deke’s rushed up and seated her in a chair next to me which alarmed me. She was tiny compared to Slamer but she seemed more of a threat than he ever did.

“So Arlen tell me about yourself… Pol speaks highly of you and that intrigues me.”

Yes I bet it did I thought as I looked at her she was exquisite, beyond beautiful and I wondered what had drawn her to `Pol’, I looked at her the way I would an object of prey facing down a cobra and I just knew she was aware of exactly what I was thinking. What was this? A trap or just one more test?

“Not much to tell really ma’am sorry Ceri, Ser… sorry Pol told me he wanted us to be the best and I guessed it would be unwise to disappoint him.”

“Oh you didn’t” she almost purred “he is most pleased by what you have accomplished.”

I got that…. all of it she was intent on grilling me for fracks sake, she knew I had made the decision to push the company through, to make sure we all passed. Who or rather what the hell was this woman? Too be honest if I hadn’t given myself a good dosage of my meds I would have killed her by now she was that much of a threat…. Perhaps she sensed that, she just smiled, not like Selma or Sandy this was a knowing smile.

Then she started with the questions, seemingly innocuous but Ooh so very probing.

“I like you Arlen, in many ways you remind me of my Pol, you are both hunters… predators even, I look forward to meeting you again.” She said leaving me sat there feeling terribly exposed.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 15:48, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Mon, 27. Jul 15, 04:08

Last mission:

Sandy was down… not dead but he wouldn’t be walking anywhere for a while, this was not good. Yeah we had reached the core and Pico was busy doing his thing but the Nids kept coming up the access ramp and we were running low on ammo.

“Pico don’t piss me off” I warned over the comm “how long?”

“I need a couple of mizura Arlen… no more.”

“Well a couple of mizura is all you got… me and Sandy can’t hold here beyond that you get me?”

“Yeah I got yah I’ll vent the atmosphere first that should slow them down… where the hell is our backup?”

That was a joke our second team had got flattened on deck four if we didn’t get control the Nids were going to roll all over us, seems the Nid Captain had worked that out as well which was why he was sending his crew at us en-mass. I looked down the access corridor and took out another Nid as he poked his head out. Fracking idiot, that wouldn’t hold them back for long though. They were going to try charging our position… it was what I would do so we needed to dissuade them from that.

“Sandy you got any grenades left?”

“Just two…. why what you thinking?”

“I’m thinking of taking those grenades and clearing the deck, can you hold here on your own for a mizura?”

“Bad plan Arlen… you stick your head out and they will cut it off, and I don’t want Selma mad at me.”

“No choice Sandy stay put… I’m coming to you” I belly crawled over to where he was positioned and took the grenades from his belt ignoring the bursts of fire from the Nids that set my suits shield glowing.

“Okay plan B…. I need covering fire when I make my move. I’m going high you cover low.”

As plans go it was a very bad one but Sandy knew I had no choice, we needed to give Pico those mizura he needed. It took a moment for me to get in position before I began walking down the access corridor roof whilst Sandy kept the Nid’s attention on him, it was a little bit surreal seeing the Nids from above as I closed on them. Too late… one of them saw me and started to turn his repeater towards me as I threw the grenades into their midst and opened fire with my own rifle. That’s when I felt the impacts from the rounds carving through my shield. So much for plan B I thought as my world exploded in flames then darkness as I felt a sickening blow to my stomach.

I wasn’t dead… no one could hurt this much and be dead, that was my thought as I opened my eyes and saw Selma looking at me. No… I was dead after all I decided, she was over in Omicron unless… I was at Black hole sun. That meant I was as good as dead as far as the fleet was concerned, we had all joked about it in the unit, that this was the last posting you would get if you survived a mission that went south but weren’t expected to recover. That pissed me off, worse still when I tried to tell her that… I couldn’t speak, I just croaked feeling my throat burn as I tried to say what I felt. A nurse came up and put a straw in my mouth and I sucked greedily at it feeling the cool fluid wash away the dust in my mouth.

“Sandy, Pico” I managed to gasp.

“Their good Hun… Sandy is waiting outside, hasn’t slept since you got here.”

That was something…. not a failed mission then, Pico must have come through and got control after all… outstanding. She wasn’t telling me the worst of it though I could see that in her eyes that still glistened with unshed tears. As far as Selma new we had both been injured during a fire fight with pirates who had boarded our ship. It was a good cover story had even made the fleet news channel

“Okay tell me the bad news Selma, that’s why you are here isn’t it?” So she told me the facts…. no honey coating the pill, just what the facts were, it hurt her, I could see that but I needed to know. Seems that Nid with the rifle had managed to take away my legs, not literally but he had got a shot into me that had left me hanging from the ceiling by my mag boots the shot to the stomach had cut through enough of my spinal cord to cripple me before our back up teams arrived.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Mon, 27. Jul 15, 04:27

Doppelganger:

Selma should not have been the one to do this but that was the way the fleet worked, get a friend or a close relative to give you the bad news. They had also told her to repeat what they told her to me, the operation I was scheduled to undergo once my injuries had healed enough might restore function to my legs. It might work but I knew the operation had a very poor success rate, and even the restoration of function when it was successful was limited. Sandy would be the one waiting with the paperwork outside.

“Okay send Sandy in Selma let’s get this done.”

She didn’t like that of course… probably blamed him for what had happened… which was so wrong. Look at me getting emotional for fracks sake. Hell there went all my plans and schemes for the future. I could fix this one thing though. He came into the room looking like a whipped puppy on his crutches. So…. He thought this was his fault as well… time to change that….. Do the right thing for Sandy and Selma.

“Marine I need a drink you up for that?” I asked after reading then signing the papers.

He looked to the nurse who shook her head but hell I ranked her well… at least till the end of the day I did, Sandy was going to make it happen. Why? Because I asked. I think he got what I was doing… trying to do. Nuff said a mizura later I was in a chair and we were entering the pigs bar on station where all of us Marines got wasted on leave, there was one on every outpost reserved for the exclusive use of the Corp. The place was busy of course but he got us a table in the back, where he parked his crutches seems he only needed them if he was going to be walking any distance. He still hadn’t spoken to Selma nor she to him so I guessed she still hadn’t got it yet, I sent him to the bar to get a bottle and took her hand.

“It’s not his fault Selma, this sort of crap happens all the time in the corp.”

“I told him to look after you…. he didn’t.” Gunne she sounded so bitter and that was not her.

“He tried Hun, Hell he got shot to bits trying and the bad guys were were doing their best to kill us both. Selma don’t blame him for this.... me being hurt Please.”

She got it then the whole package, she was so wrapped up in her anger, she needed someone to blame. Well I wasn’t having that. So Sandy came back with the bottle which we totally finished and at least she started to talk to him again, so I had to send him to get another one of course. That’s when Nil came into the bar.

Straight away I was back on Antigone reliving the attack… Rape… I froze, Selma saw that and she went all defensive as he walked up to our table, gods what drew him here? Sandy was a step behind him his hands ready to act if this turned ugly.

“It’s okay” I whispered, that got them to wait before taking him out….. He saw that, saw the love I couldn’t hide from him or them in my eyes as well.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Mon, 27. Jul 15, 04:36

Continued:

He was as I remembered him, tall, strong, a proud warrior. He had saved me and I just loved him without question. Selma saw that and hated him instantly, I looked into his eyes remembering all the bad things that I had started to hope I was beginning to forget. He stopped still staring at me sat in the wheel chair as confused as hell.

“Lannar! What the blazes are you doing here, what the hell happened to you?” That hurt… tore a hole in my chest I had thought long filled.

“You best take a seat Nil, and no I am not Lannar…. Selma, Sandy meet my big brother.”

Gunne talk about a collective sigh of relief. I couldn’t take my eyes of him of, Sandy poured him a drink once he sat down. He was in shock, he worked it out who I was… who I had to be.

“She said you died Sabine.”

“Sabine?”

“The name my real mother gave me Selma, Suzeanne lied Nil.... She did that a lot.”

“I have to take you home Sabine, Gunne…. Lannar will so want to see you.”

I thought about that, but Lannar had betrayed me and Nil could never know that truth… it would destroy him. Gunne I wanted that so much though…… to go home to stand on that hill overlooking the vineyard that was our home. It hurt too much though, even considering it did.

“No I can never go back… Lannar must never know about me, you know that Nil, hell I wouldn't want her to see me, not like this. Perhaps after the operation who knows?”

That hurt him but he took it in, me being in the chair sort of drove the point home.

“So what now Sabine?”

“Now we all get drunk and tell outlandish lies about what we have been up to since I left Antigone. After that I don’t know Nil.”

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Mon, 27. Jul 15, 06:12

Revelations:

After that night Nil was a regular visitor at the hospital, he was actually based here on the outpost had been for the last Jazura. They eventually performed the surgery and two Wozura after the operation I was discharged. Sandy wheeled me down to the hanger with Sandy and Nil in tow. Nil had offered to let me spend my recovery period at his apartment, had even used up his earned leave to look after me. Selma knew what I really wanted of course, a few mizura later she powered up the Mamba and took us home to Elena’s. I looked at her and felt what..... I don’t know. Sandy and Nil were busy getting drunk in the lounge. I couldn’t…. wouldn’t even look at her.

“Okay truth or dare Selma why or rather how are you even here?” I asked not telling her I already knew she had been refused leave.

“Perhaps because I love you. I quit the fleet Arlen as soon as they scheduled the operation I told my squadron commander I need to use up some leave …. He said I couldn’t have any, said he had organised patrols for two wozura in advance and I would have to wait till they were done. So I resigned my commission and told him to stick it where the sun don’t shine. One of the advantages of being an officer, no need to wait for his permission after that.”

That hurt, she was giving up everything she had ever wanted and it was my fault. Perhaps it would have been better if that Nid had killed me. She said nothing but she knew what I was thinking. She just reached out and squeezed my arm making me feel better about myself, then she carried me to bed. Nil was there in the morning, I looked at him watching me from the chair near the door. I think he had slept there…. Gunne this was awkward I had meant to tell him about me and Selma, just not yet.

“Not what you expected Nil?”

“No to be honest I thought Sandy.”

“Most people do sorry to disappoint.”

“Hey I am not disappointed Sabine I already know Selma is a good woman, I’m not questioning your choices. As long as you are happy that’s all that matters to me.”

Ooh that was the killer he wanted much more than his words said…. wanted to know why I had never reached out to him, let him know I was even alive. I had often thought of doing that but I had always found a reason not to. Now I wanted… needed his approval. So was I happy? I felt Selma move against me and felt her heart beating in time with mine…. yes I was until this moment I had never realised I really was.

“Tell big brother to get us both a coffee Arlen then I might forgive him” she whispered. So she had been awake all the while.

Nil heard her and he went off to get us all coffees whilst she made us both presentable.

“This is a bad plan Selma.”

“What making your brother get the coffee? Call that self-defence if he is anything like you he will be a bitch till he gets his morning cup of java.”

“No….. You leaving the fleet I know what it means to you.”

“Meant girl, you mean more..... always have. What do I call you now anyway Arlen or Sabine?”

“Arlen fell in love with you Selma, Sabine is a name I’ve never used that would just keep reminding me of things I would rather leave buried in the past.”

"Thats the first time you've ever said that you do love me straight out Arlen, to be honest it worried me on more than a few occasions these last Jazura.

Selma kissed me as she put me in the chair then she wheeled me into the lounge where Nil was just coming out of the kitchen with a large breakfast tray on it. He put it down on the table then went back and got the coffees and his own breakfast before joining us.

“So Sandy told me you own this place Sabine……”

“Nil my name is Arlen…. has been for most of my life, I left Sabine on Antigone.”

“Sorry…… Arlen.” I gripped his hand to show I didn’t want him to take my words as a slight against him.

“That’s okay and yes I do own this apartment. I run a company called Onyx security advising various corporations on security matters and how to prevent their ships being taken from them.”

“Based on your experience in doing just that for the fleet I suppose, that’s where you were wounded boarding a ship wasn’t it? I recognised the description of the wounds you received.” That worried me if he had been asking questions about me or our unit he could find himself in a world of pain. Worse still not even Selma knew that till now, I could feel her eyes boring into my face as she took in what he had just said.

“Nil stop asking questions about, me there are serious risks if you continue down that road. Suffice to say our unit was tasked with special operations. The Paranid were testing out some new tech and the fleet wanted it, so when they decided to test this tech on an Argon fleet in Brennan’s triumph we were tasked with taking that prototype destroyer from them. We succeeded.”

“Gunne girl we heard rumours about it we all did in the corp, the fleet taking ships I mean but it seemed unbelievable.”

“Nil promise you won’t ask any more questions, I’ve already told you more than I should to stop you doing just that so leave it alone.”

“Arlen are you telling me that you and Sandy were pirating ships from the Paranid on behalf of the fleet?”

“Not just the Paranid Selma, we took ships that attracted attention of our superiors from every race. We are fighting a war though few people know it, the other races do the same thing even the so called pacifist Boron. Believe me their marines are anything but peaceful. Any way that’s history let’s talk about the future, you do realise we are both out of work now girl and I am not going to be a kept woman?”

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Mon, 27. Jul 15, 22:41

Future Plans:

Selma had laughed at that but I was quite serious, if I was going to be disabled even marginally I would have to take up a different profession to the one that had so far made me quite wealthy. I could give more time to my cover occupation, as Nil had already guessed I had all the requisite experience and skills. So we talked about that till lunch time with me laying out the way the company operated at the moment with both Selma and Nil offering suggestions. Some of them were quite good, those I made a note of.

“Alright enough for now let’s get some lunch, Selma could you ask Sandy to meet us at the restaurant. Give us time to get changed though I’m not going out in my dressing gown.”

“Damn right you’re not” Selma muttered as she tapped in Sandy’s com number.

The shower was newly installed Selma had arranged it whilst I was in hospital it was designed for invalids so it was quite easy to use, I did miss my bath tub though. Once I was dry I got myself changed not an easy feat in itself now. Selma came in when I was nearly done so I asked her to put my panties on for me. Gods I couldn’t believe I actually felt embarrassed at asking her to do that for me.

“Yeah feels strange doesn’t it? Normally you’re telling me to rip them off” She laughed. That got me laughing as well, a couple of mizura later after she had insisted on redoing my hair for me we were good to go.

Nil was waiting in the lounge for us, he had dressed up a bit as well and looked very smart. I powered the chair up I know Selma preferred to manually wheel me around in it, here on station I had the Image of Kareen Brano executive to maintain. The Falcone’s was the restaurant we normally used when we were on station so the staff knew us quite well and were very attentive to us. It was as we relaxed over our coffees that I put the question to Nil.

“So what now Nil? I mean you are welcome to spend your leave here, but I suspect you would prefer to go home.”

“That is true enough and I did consider it but I checked the transports schedules there’s no way I could make it there and back in time. Look if it’s a problem I can get a room at a hotel here on station.” I looked to Selma and she nodded, I suspected she wanted to spend some time alone with me so that was settled.

“I can take you to Antigone if you want Nil, we have our own ship and it’s no distance at all from here. All you have to do is give me a call I can get you back to your base a lot faster than you are used to using the transports system.”

“Go on accept her offer Nil I can see you want to, and as Selma said it's not a problem for us. That’s the advantage of having your own transport, you can go pretty much anywhere you want whenever you want. I won’t be offended if you take her up on her offer.”

“Well if you are sure you don’t mind Selma I would appreciate it.”

“It’s no problem at all Nil I can get you there within a stazura, just let me know when you are ready.”

That settled we spent a bit more time just relaxing in the restaurant before we returned home. Too be honest I had a lot to do I checked in with the man who ran the small office in Legends that was the contact point for Onyx and told him I would be visiting to discuss expanding operations with him at some point in the near future and told him to prepare a list of options for us to achieve that. That startled the hell out of him so far his life had been pretty routine, he knew that was about to change. Nil had packed his kit and was waiting for Selma to finish getting changed.

“Won’t you come with us Arlen?”

“Perhaps one day Nil but Antigone holds only bad memories for me, it’s too much for me to deal with right now.” Selma came back into the lounge dressed in her flight suit .

“Right you ready Nil let’s get moving, hey Hun you going to be alright here on your own?” Selma asked kissing me.

“I’ll be fine I’ve got loads of things to keep me busy, now get going you two the sooner you get going the sooner you can get back.”

Nil lent down and kissed me on the cheek I was surprised I didn’t have to supress a hostile reaction when he did that. Once they were gone I started looking at the possible contacts I could use to expand Onyx it was a much longer list than I had thought it would be. I stopped then realising I was becoming what Suzeanne had always hoped, a fracking! Executive type, that’s why I was angry when the com alert chimed, I assumed it was Selma calling to say she had arrived at Antigone and didn’t check the caller id I opened the link and felt my blood run cold.

“Hello Arlen you are a very difficult person to get hold off.”

“That is intentional Ceri. What do you want?” I snapped.

“Don’t be nasty Arlen what happened to you wasn’t my fault after all, I have a proposition for you.”

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 28. Jul 15, 03:52

Antigone:

I knew this was a mistake and I felt certain Arlen would be annoyed with me, but on the journey here Nil had talked me into visiting the family home. I wouldn’t be leaving till he arrived at the port anyway. He had promised not to mention Sabine so that was something at least. I had to admit the estate was beautiful in the sunshine as we arrived at the entrance. I stepped out of the transport and took a moment to admire the view. Nil took my arm and led me into the house, that’s when I got the biggest shock of my life Arlen was stood right here in the hallway.

It wasn’t of course Arlen was stuck in a wheel chair back in Elena's and might never walk again, that realisation hit me harder than I had thought it might. I had never admitted it even to myself till now, had never wanted to show that fear to Arlen so I had kept it hidden it away where she would never see it. This was her sister Lannar the resemblance was uncanny…. painful even. My reaction must have shown Lannar came over and took my hand, looking deep into my eyes, her own full of concern.

“Why don’t you come through to the sitting room," she suggested kindly. "Nil can you get us something to drink, I think a light white a cold one?”

The room was impressive and it had real wooden furniture for fracks sake. Of course it had I had spent all my life either at the mine or on space stations. To planet siders this was normal.

“Not what you’re used to I suppose, sorry Nil forgot to introduce us. Please take a seat.”

“Selma… Selma Hayak, Lannar Nil told me a lot about you on the way here.”

“I can imagine he did, so where did you two meet and why hasn’t he mentioned you before now, I mean he’s never bought any of his girlfriend’s home before?”

“Selma is not my girlfriend Lannar she was kind enough to give me a ride here so I could spend my last day of leave with you.” Sandy said out loud as he came into the room with a bottle of wine in an ice bucket.

“Oh my god’s I am so sorry Selma, I thought… I mean I just assumed.” Lannar said her cheeks reddening dramatically.

“It’s alright Lannar” I promised," smiling "It was an easy mistake to make. Truth is me and Nil only met a wozura ago. I’d just left the fleet and when Nil explained he couldn’t get a transport to get here yesterday I offered to give him a ride.”

“Well that was awfully decent of you Selma I don’t get many visitors here.” Nil poured the wine which I had to admit was delicious, "so tell me what was your job in the fleet did you serve with Nil?”

“Oh no I was a fighter pilot based over in Omicron, I met Nil on the outpost in Black hole sun. That’s where I was visiting my brother he was in the hospital there and had just been released. We were sat in the marine’s bar that’s when we he joined us at our table, the rest as they say is history.” I wasn’t lying just omitting Arlen from the real circumstances of how we met.

"A fighter pilot wow that must have been so exciting."

"Not as much as you might think Lannar, mostly it was long boring patrols, the only good thing about it was that I got to do an awful lot of fying out in the dark."

After that she was asking me all sorts of questions about my life in the fleet and what it was like to fly out in space alone. I was asking her all about her own life here, I think the reason I was so happy to speak to her was because I sensed how lonely she was. Before I knew it the daylight had gone and I asked about getting a transport back to the spaceport.

“Oh no please stay for dinner, we have a guest room that will be far more comfortable than one of those cramped cells they rent at the port. Tell her she has to stay Nil.” He looked to me the plea clear in his eyes and truth be told I did want to stay, learn more about her.

“Alright” I relented, "as long as we are back at the port in good time we can’t afford to lose our departure slot my Mamba’s fast but not that fast."

“That’s settled then come on I’ll show you to your room so you can freshen up a bit before dinner.”

The room was as beautiful as the rest of the house I wandered around just touching the wooden furniture wondering how much it would cost to get some for the apartment then put that thought away. Arlen would guess where I’d got the idea, despite being a really old building the room had a walk in bathroom complete with its own bath tub and shower. I reluctantly settled for the latter before dressing in the one change of clothes I had bought with me. I had just finished dressing when Nil knocked on the door to see if I was ready.

“Come on in Nil.” I had already planned what I wanted to say to him and I would rather do it here where Lannar would not overhear me.

“Selma thanks for staying. As you’ve probably guessed Lannar has taken a real liking to you.” He said walking into the room, a stupid smug expression on his face.

“Which is what you wanted isn’t it Nil? You scheming bastard this was your plan all along wasn't it, you get me to meet her then what? Wait for me to get Arlen to change her mind about coming here. Let me put you straight on that Nil, if it wasn’t for the fact I actually like Lannar I mean how could I not? I would be back at the port right now. What you did really hurt me Nil.”

“That was my hope originally with Arlen I mean, I know that now.... after seeing your reaction on meeting Lannar…. I didn’t think it through” he finally admitted.

“No you didn’t now let’s pretend we're still friends shall we.... for Lannar’s sake not yours.”

That hurt him as I intended I was fuming and regretting ever listening to him it was true what Arlen had told me, men only tried to manipulate you for their own selfish ends. Once we left I knew I would be never be coming back here, after I dropped him of back at black hole sun I never wanted to see him again either.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 16:00, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 28. Jul 15, 08:26

Continued:

The evening meal was delicious as was the wine, Nil was fairly quiet not because of what I had said earlier rather because Lannar kept up an almost continuous conversation with me about woman’s stuff that effectively excluded him. As soon as the meal was finished he excused himself saying he wanted an early night. I can’t say I wasn’t happy to see him go.

“Sorry Selma I thought he would never leave us alone” Lannar admitted as we took our glasses through to the sitting room. “I’ve been wanting to speak to you on your own since you got here, and he’s been hanging onto you like a bramble on a blanket. Why is that?” I didn’t know how to answer her, I needed a minute to think.

“It’s complicated Lannar, I have personal problems, Nil thought me coming here might help me resolve them it didn’t.”

“Do you want to talk about it?”

It was so tempting, to unburden myself of all my worries but I had promised Arlen I wouldn’t mention her, if she ever found out I was, had been here she would have a fit. That posed another problem… Nil. Gods I couldn’t win Arlen had loved him on sight, I had seen that if I kept being angry with him I would lose her forever. Why had she insisted I come her with Nil was it her way of telling me it was over? I couldn’t help myself the crying just started I thought my heart would break I was in that much pain.

“Gods I’m sorry Lannar” I sobbed wiping my eyes.

“What happened you just split up with someone?”

“I hope not my… partner just got invalided out of the fleet and is stuck at home in a wheelchair I’m only here because.”

“Because he insisted and now you are having all sorts of doubts about your relationship. Perhaps he’s just trying to be kind, you know not wanting you to be stuck with a cripple it’s the sort of stupid thing men do when they go all noble on us girls. I take it you quit the fleet to take care of him perhaps he feels guilty about that?” I hadn’t looked at it that way, it gave me hope at least.

“What do you think I should do?”

“Hell if I know Selma… Be honest with him I guess, make it really clear you love him despite what’s happened. Don’t let him drive you away. Now you think about that whilst I get us a decent bottle of wine.” I did think about what Lannar had said, everything she had said made sense, it was just the sort of thing Arlen would do. It hurt that she could even consider driving me away. I had dried my eyes by the time Lannar came back with another bottle of wine.

“That’s better Selma you look terrible when you’re crying.”

“I don’t look much better when I’m not” I said only half joking.

“Oh don’t go that way Selma, hell I bet you dress up real pretty,” I remembered that reception Jazura ago back in Aladna. “See I’m right and you know it. Now drink up girl once a bottle is opened it has to be finished.”

“Who made that rule up?”

“Since this is my vineyard… well mine and Nil’s I guess I did.”

“Then since I am a guest I suppose I should respect the rules of the house” I agreed as I took a deep drink of the wine she had poured.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 28. Jul 15, 08:30

Continued:

We finished that bottle and were well into another when Lannar revealed to me why Arlen had wanted me to come here. It started innocently enough I merely asked her why she hid herself away here on the vineyard. She was terrified when I asked her that, god’s she was actually trembling.

“Look forgot I asked that Lannar okay it’s not my business.” I said taking her hand.

“It’s alright Selma how could you know it happened so long ago that sometimes I even manage to forget it, well at least for a while.” When I was young” she began in a voice barely more than a whisper, “I was assaulted by my uncle, since then I’ve become terrified of men I know it’s silly but unless I know a man really well… know I can trust him I just freeze. Even the doctors can’t change that, gods knows my parents spent enough credits on them trying to cure me of it.”

I put it all together then I mean…. what were the chances of twin sisters being raped within a few klicks of each over at about the same time being the act of two rapists. The answer was none, this Uncle of Lannar’s had raped both of them when they were children. Arlen had expected Nil to convince me to come here… to learn this awful truth. The question I had to ask myself was why? What reason could she possibly have for wanting me to know this?

“What happened to him this uncle Lannar” I asked suspecting that this was what Arlen wanted to know, I knew her well enough to believe she intended killing the man.

“Ooh he’s long dead Selma he came here to the house when he got released from prison shortly after my parents died. He wanted to claim a part of the estate, He died after it was proven that the will he was basing his claim on was a forgery. He actually died that day when he was driving back to the city. I only wish I had been there to see it happen.”

I reached out and hugged her, “I can understand that Lannar, but he’s dead he can never hurt you or anyone else ever again. Now come on house rules remember this bottle has only just been opened.” So we both ended up getting drunk, me more so than Lannar. I was mortified when I felt her next to me in bed in the morning. No I hadn’t been that drunk I had definitely got into bed on my own.

“Sorry I got frightened on my own after last night Lannar said quietly as if expecting me to go ballistic.

“Hey its okay lanner I was just confused for a moment, come on let’s get up and have some breakfast… After several mugs of coffee that is, I have a terrible headache and I am holding you personally responsible.” I got out of bed and headed for the shower without a second thought about being naked, only Lannar’s gasp of shock made me pause and look back at her.

“Do you always walk around naked like that Selma?”

“Not normally no but in the fleet we all got in the showers together no separate facilities for girls or boys. At least until you get some rank and not always then.”

“I could never do that.”

“Perhaps you should in private at least, it might help you overcome your shyness.” She blushed and for a moment I thought of her as Arlen not Lannar. I went into the shower before that thought robbed me of my senses. Nil was busy in the kitchen cooking breakfast, something he always insisted on doing when he was home Lannar told me.

“Then he should have had enough practice to be good at it.” I replied pouring a large coffee for all three of us.

Nil caught that and glanced at me. I smiled back at him just to unsettle him a little bit. The breakfast was Nil was actually a very good cook, mind you I would be saying that about anyone who gave me a breakfast that included fresh fried eggs. The bread was wonderfully different as well when I asked Lannar about that she explained that they had a cook who made it fresh every day. That totally threw me not the fact they had a cook but that anyone would bother to make bread by hand.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 16:04, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 28. Jul 15, 10:53

Continued:

The call came through just after we had finished easting I went to my room to take it “Hello Arlen” I said expecting her to vent at me.

“Selma somethings come up so I am going to be AWOL for a Wozura maybe a bit longer.”

“I’ll come back straight away.”

“You can’t silly Nil only gets to see Lannar now and again add to that the fact you wouldn’t be able to come with me.” I felt my dizzy as I forced myself to ask her the question that had been at the back of my mind since last night.

“Arlen are you dumping me?” Bracing myself for the reply I feared was coming.”

“Don’t be silly if I was going to do that I wouldn’t have given you the keys to the Mamba, no this is to do with my last job in the fleet.”

“They can’t make you go Arlen, you’re a civilian now, tell them to go to hell.” I told her the worry clear in my voice.

“Selma much as I love you sometimes you can be a bit dense, you do not say no to these people. Anyway it’s nothing to worry about, they decided that the way the fleet dumped me was out of order, so they have offered me some help with my current problem… help only they can give. Now I want you to take Nil back to Black hole sun then go back to Antigone and wait there till I call you. I can’t say anymore at the moment but if all works out as it should then you are in for one hell of a surprise.”

“You’re starting to worry me now Arlen”

“I’m doing my best not to Selma but you are making it difficult, now listen when you get back to Antigone I want you to look after Lannar for me, as you’ve probably realised she’s alone most of the time and I bet you hit it off with her straight away. Look you can tell Lannar about us, as much as you think she can handle anyway. She’s fragile Selma don’t scare her.”

“You knew?”

“What that Nil would convince you to go to the vineyard? Of course I did…. I can read that man like a book, I don’t mind as long as you don’t forget you’re mine.... I do love you but I don’t share Selma you know that. Got to go now so enjoy your vacation, when I get back we are going to be busy so make the most of it. She was excited and happy I could see that in her eyes, which was only slightly reassuring.

“I love you Arlen” I whispered before she cut the link.

This was turning very odd, Arlen was obviously going sector M148 where even Ban Dannar himself couldn’t go without an invite. I hadn’t told her about her uncle, I wanted to do that in person. That left me with a problem. Arlen was right Lannar was fragile so how do I tell her about her sister. I decided to wait till Nil was safely back at Black hole Sun.

“Problem?” Nil asked as I went back into the kitchen.

“Not really Arlen called to tell me she has to go away for a wozura or so, business problem came up. So I’m no longer in a rush to get back to Elena’s now.”

The look on his face as he realised what I had just said out loud despite all Arlen’s warnings was priceless.

“You could stay here Lannar” offered instantly.

“If you are sure you wouldn’t mind Lannar, I wouldn’t want to impose. Now what shall we do today, it’s your leave Nil so I guess it’s up to you.”

“Well I was going to suggest we go swimming, we could pack a lunch, and there’ a nice quiet cove here on the estate that is both secluded and private.”

That I suppose was his idea of payback. Or was it how could he possibly know the only swimming I had ever done had been in pools on military stations during combat training.

“That sounds great fun let’s get ready then.”

Lannar grabbed me by the arm and took me of to let me try on some bathing costumes, I would have preferred to wear my flight suit but she was having none of that. So it was a little while later after a short drive we arrived fully equipped at a beautiful sandy beach with not another soul in sight.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 28. Jul 15, 13:17

Continued:

I had to admit the view was beautiful, I had never been planet side on a core world before, and the only thing that worried me was that endless expanse of water in front of me. To my horror Nil stripped of and just ran into it followed a moment later by Lannar. They disappeared beneath the surface, to emerge some distance away from the shore less than a mizura later. Only after much taunting from Nil did I enter the water myself walking out to where they were.

“Can’t you swim Selma?”

“Of course I can every pilot has to be able to it’s just that I’ve never swum in open water before, and there are creatures in here with us.”

“It’s an ocean Selma of course there are but they are harmless, come on try swimming you’ll forget all about them once you try. It’s much better than swimming in a sterile pool, I promise.”

I took her at her word and found she was right the water supported me more than pool water did. Pretty soon I was swimming parallel to the shore. They had to call out to me several times before I reluctantly joined them on the beach. Lunch was ready and after drying myself with an impossibly large towel I sat down on the matting Nil had laid out and accepted the meal he had prepared.

“Do you do this often?”

“As often as I can Lannar is lucky she could do this every day if she wanted to.”

“That would make it boring Nil I only do it when I really feel the need to, or when I’ve done something special that I think merits the reward.”

The time passed all too quickly, and soon we were heading back to the transport I hadn’t bothered changing Lannar had said it was pointless as we would have to shower of the sea salt before we put our clothes back on again. Once dressed we had time for a light meal before we had to get back to the port. The trip to Black hole sun was uneventful, I got Nil there in plenty of time to report in. I didn’t even get out of the cockpit and once refuelled I retraced my course back to Antigone, Lannar was waiting for me when I got back to her house despite the fact it was the middle of the night.

“I would have thought you’d be in bed by now, Lannar”

“I would have been but I guessed you’d be arriving about now, Nil called me when he got back to his apartment so I thought I’d wait up. I must admit you made better time than I expected, now come on through I made a supper for you I expect you haven’t eaten anything since yesterday.”

She was right I hadn’t, there hadn’t seemed any reason to interrupt my journey. I thought about that as I ate what I considered a more than generous plateful of cold cuts and salad even by my standards. I knew why I had rushed to get here, I had felt guilty about not telling her the truth before and I wanted to set matters straight with her now.

The only detour I had taken on the way here from the port was to visit the hospital where Arlen had been kept imprisoned as a girl. It was less than twenty klicks away from here. As for it’s vaunted security, what I had seen of it would be laughable except for my knowledge of what had happened to Arlen. I had walked into the place unchallenged for fracks sake.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 16:09, edited 1 time in total.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Tue, 28. Jul 15, 15:09

Lost and found:

“We need to talk Lannar and I think we are going to need something stronger than wine once you hear what I have to tell you.” She disappeared for a mizura and returned with a large bottle of whiskey and two tumblers. Which she filled. I took a deep swallow before starting and indicated she might want to do the same.

“Right where to begin the best place is to tell you about Arlen, We joined the fleet together in Aladna hill nearly four Jazura ago. Despite regulations we fell in love and we’ve been lovers ever since. Now I had always wanted to be a pilot, that’s why I joined the fleet… well that and the fact I wanted to get away from the Ore mine I grew up on. It didn’t hurt that I was a damn good pilot, anyway my brother signed up the same day I did we met Arlen, and we have all been together ever since well as much as duty has allowed. Sandy like Arlen wanted to be a marine which was a shame because in truth she’s a much better pilot than I will ever be.”

“Whoa hold on there… you’re telling me Arlen is a women!”

“Yes didn’t I mention that? Well anyway for some reason Arlen wanted to be a marine and when she sets her mind on something nothing stops her, she’s like a force of nature when she has a goal in her sights. So Sandy and Arlen turned out to be very good marines, so they used them on the more dangerous missions. The last mission they want on they both got wounded, Arlen bad enough to be discharged on a medical. They didn’t even give her a medal for what she did… gods know she deserved one. Hell they both did. Okay here comes the painful part I think we are both going to need another drink.” Arlen refilled our glasses and took a deep pull on hers perhaps sensing that what I would say next somehow involved her.

“Now as you’ve guessed the next part involves you, not for anything you’ve done,” I assured her. ”Do you remember my reaction when I first saw you standing in the entrance hall?”

“You seemed upset… I assumed it was something to do with Nil, that’s why I didn’t pry I was hoping you would tell me later if it was, he can be a sod at times.”

“No nothing to do with Nil its just that for a moment… I thought you were Arlen, but I knew you couldn’t be because she was on Elena’s where I had left her. Lannar..... Arlen was born Sabine Gisler.”

She slumped in her chair as if I had punched her in the stomach and I wondered if I had said too much. I gave her a moment to gather her thoughts as she finished the whisky in her glass, and poured us both another her hand shaking as she did so.

“So she said her voice low after revealing the fact your lover is in fact a woman, now you tell me she is in fact my twin. Sabine died shortly after we were born Selma. What sort of sick joke is this? Do you get any joy out of this? I thought you were my friend.”

“Lannar I’m not lying… look here are some stills Sandy took of us when we met Nil just a mazura ago on the military outpost in Black hole sun. They are date stamped.”

I gave her the folder of stills which she studied carefully looking for some sign they were mocked up. I could understand her concern and her anger at what I was telling her. I poured another whiskey for myself giving her as much time as she needed to take in what my words and those stills were telling her.

“This is your Arlen in that hospital chair.”

“It is, from what she has told me her doctor Suzeanne Poler who worked at that hospital took her off world and adopted her once she reached Legends home. Nil tells me she had told your family she’d died.”

“She did I remember her visit, after she left momma and poppa were sad for ages, but they never told me why.”

I knew why… they had sent Arlen of to that hospital probably because of that uncontrollable temper of hers, and kept the truth from Lannar. Probably to protect her… not out of any sort of malice. When Doctor Poler had told her lies they must have felt both guilty and ashamed of what they had done.

“Did Nil know?” she asked with what I imagined was a rare display of anger from her.

“No he didn’t Lannar… that day in the bar he thought it was you sat in that wheel chair, he was confused and alarmed to see you there. I swear he didn’t know. Now its important you listen carefully to what I am about to tell you Lannar, your parents were right to put her in that hospital.” Lannar glared at me her eyes flashing with an anger I knew all too well, “Arlen has a vicious temper Lannar almost uncontrollable, She has to take injections everyday just to stop her lashing out and killing anyone who upset’s her. I think they made a very difficult… even brave decision to send her to that hospital to protect not just you but others. Doctor Poler wanted to study her, that’s why she told those lies that caused so much harm to your family.”

“There’s more though isn’t there though Selma? There’s something you don’t want to tell me?” I reached for the bottle again knowing we would both need a drink when I told her what I suspected.

Sabrina Bergin
xr

Post by Sabrina Bergin » Wed, 29. Jul 15, 01:44

Leo’s Legacy:

Lannar took another deep pull on her whiskey and I followed suit, wondering if I should tell something I suspected even Arlen didn’t know, or did she? Arlen was very smart, according to Sandy she had planned most of their missions, was in fact the team leader. That would explain so much, her reluctance to come here was genuine enough even though I knew she longed to return home. She felt she never could, just being locked up in that hospital wasn’t enough to deter her she was stronger than that. No she knew I was certain of it, just as I was certain that this was why she wanted me to be here now. It was the only thing that made any sense.

“Stop stalling Selma you’ve got me wound up tighter than a clock spring, what the hell can be worse than you’ve already told me.” So I took a deep breath and started in on it.

“Alright Lannar The hospital where Lannar was being kept is just twenty kilometres from here. I walked in there this afternoon unchallenged, no effective security whatsoever. When Arlen was seven she was raped in that hospital, and I think it happened the same day that you were raped. In fact I think you were both victims of your uncle and that Arlen suspected that and sent me here to find out if you knew where he is now. I think she intended to kill him Lannar… she can’t now of course, and she won’t be happy when I tell her that.”

Lannar almost collapsed in her chair as she felt the impact of what I’d told her hit home, I put my drink down and rushed around the table and held her in my arms letting her cry herself out against me. It took a while, but I didn’t mind.

“That bastard ruined all our lives didn’t he?”

“He did Lannar but he’s dead now he can’t hurt you anymore unless you let him. Now come on chin up lets finish this bottle, house rules remember.”

That bought a tentative smile back to her face, I picked her up and sat her in my lap as I poured us both a final drink. We didn’t talk for some time I just sat their giving her what comfort I could as we both considered the harm that man had caused her family. I understood Arlens desire to take her revenge on him, hell I wanted to kill him myself. I just hoped she would be satisfied with the knowledge he was dead.

“Come on sleepy head let’s get you to bed” I said as she started to drop off.

“Could I sleep with you tonight Selma I don’t want to be alone?” I thought about it the girl was in need of comfort.

“I promised Arlen I wouldn’t do that Lannar I am sure you can understand why she was concerned”

“Not for that silly I just don’t want to be alone. I’m not planning on seducing you.”

“Alright then but only if you promise to behave yourself.”

So it was we spent a second night together I was pretty certain Arlen would give me a pass on this occasion considering the circumstances, but she wouldn’t if I made a habit of it. I lay there in the morning watching her sleeping I knew that whilst she was almost identical to Arlen, I could never love her as I did Arlen. That nagged at me till I realized that I felt protective towards Lannar, and more importantly would never consider her as a lover. If that was Arlen lying next to me I would be waking her up about now. That settled I slipped out of bed and had a shower before getting dressed and going down to the kitchen.

I was startled to see a woman busy at the stove and even more so when she promptly sat me down and poured me a large mug of coffee before returning to what she had been doing before I walked in. When she opened the oven door I knew that she had been making bread that I had found so different the last time I had tasted it.

“Here we are Miss Hayak try this” the woman said cutting some slices of the loaf she had just taken out of the oven, and spread a generous amount of spread on them.

She just smiled at me as I bit into the slice, the taste was incredible I had never tasted anything so wonderful in my life.

“What is that spread?” I asked still biting into the still hot bread.

“Its butter Miss Hayak, organic not manufactured there is a difference”

“There certainly is, and please call me Selma I insisted reaching for another slice.

“I see you’ve met Therese, Selma, oh goody hot bread”

Lannar sat herself down and cut of two thick slices before slavering it with the butter spread and biting into one of them as ravenously as I had done.

“Save some room for breakfast you two, it will be ready in a mizura”.

I ate the breakfast that Theresa made us and I got an idea of who had taught Nil too cook, after breakfast we went into the sitting room and just relaxed with a pot of coffee.

I was enjoying the view through the windows when I sensed Lannar coming towards me. “That’s not a good idea Lannar,” I turned to face her and saw her blush as she realised I knew what she'd intended.

“Look Lannar I know last night's revelations came as a bit of a shock to you, that’s why I allowed you to sleep in my bed but I think we need to get one thing clear at the outset…. I love Arlen and I will not betray her trust.”

“But I thought.”

“I know what you were thinking Lannar, it wouldn’t work believe me you’re not my type, sorry that sounded harsh. I didn’t mean it to. Look you’re feeling pretty emotional about now you had one hell of a lot to deal with in a very short space of time. I guess you think because I gave you some comfort that I love you, which I do but not in the way I love Arlen.”

“How can you love her you said yourself she’s crippled now?”

“Oh girl there is so much you have to learn about life before you could begin to understand the answer to that one. Let me ask you a question how would you feel if I climbed into Nil’s bed and persuaded him to leave you and your home forever.” She didn’t speak just looked at me in horror as she got what I was trying to tell her.

“That’s what love is Lannar the affection you feel for Nil, that’s what it feels like only much stronger. If I had sex with you Arlen would feel the way you felt just then, it would hurt her more than you could possibly imagine. I could never do that to her, despite all that has happened our love is as strong as the day we met. Besides you definitely are not like me, if you were I would know.”

“I’m sorry Selma I thought… hell forget what I thought, you’re right of course, it’s just that sometimes I get so lonely.”

“You’ll find love one day Lannar and you will definitely know it when you do, don’t go looking for it though that’s when it hides.”

“How did you know? When you met Arlen I mean.”

I thought back to that day in that intake canteen and remembered everything I told Lannar everything, about the fight in the showers the trooping back to our billet in Elena’s. I didn’t tell her anything intimate those memories were mine and Arlen’s alone, but by lunchtime she had come back to herself and was laughing again.

“When do I get to meet her?”

“I don’t know, Lannar… that’s up to Arlen.”

“She could come here” then she realised why that was never going to happen. “No she won’t will she because of everything that has happened. I’m surprised she doesn’t hate me.”

“Why should she hate you Lannar, you are as much a victim in this as she was, and she loves Nil, I know that for a fact. Before I knew who he was she looked at him the way she used to look only at me, and I wanted to kill him right where he stood.

Now enough of this lets go out and you can show me this vineyard of yours. Lannar never tried to climb into my bed again after that day and the following tazura were a pleasant change for me. As the days passed into one Wozura then two I began to get worried, I had still not heard from Arlen. After the third Wozura I began making plans on how to get into Sector 148. I was heading for the door dressed in my flight suit when Theresa called me back into the office where a call had come through for me.
Last edited by Sabrina Bergin on Wed, 12. Aug 15, 16:18, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Creative Universe”