x- rebirth SLI

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

xapoc

x- rebirth SLI

Post by xapoc » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 19:32

Hey guys,

So I got me a second gtx 970 to improve fps and increase visuals. Soon after starting the game, I found out the game stability went down the drain and any hopes for high FPS along with it.

Mind you I can run 1440p witcher 3 ultra settings around 55-70+fps.

also my tiny 3.4ghz 3570k i5 is oc to 4.8ghz, both GPU's have core OC to 1500mhz.

At the best attempt I hit 37 fps, that with nvidia panel adjustments, turning everything to off, including default SLI rendering and game setting left at high.

The SLI visual indicator is around 50% at best. If I reset graphics settings to default in the gpu panel, the game crashes on loading or on start, setting single display performance mode and vsync to off along with something else that I can't recall atm cures it.

Worst case scenario I had ~12fps, with game graphics maxed out along with maxed out gpu panel settings, I recall playing wing commander IV with like similar slide show effect back in 90s, on my ibm aptiva pentium 60.

The only thing I have not tried was using older nvidia drivers. If there is a trick for SLI and rebirth please let me know! Oh yeah, I did reinstall the game to my other SSD.

UniTrader
Moderator (Script&Mod)
Moderator (Script&Mod)
x4

Post by UniTrader » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 19:46

afaik the biggest problem with multi gpu is the Nav/Radar Map on the bottom right which, when updated, forces a re-sync between the GPUs with basically every frame so only one GPU is actually used. (at least thats what i read about this in some posts in the past)
Recently saw a Setting which may improve this situation: you could try to turn the Radar off in the > Graphic settings > ( Quality > custom > )* Radar > off

* option is only available with custom settings
if not stated otherwise everything i post is licensed under WTFPL

Ich mache keine S&M-Auftragsarbeiten, aber wenn es fragen gibt wie man etwas umsetzen kann helfe ich gerne weiter ;)

I wont do Script&Mod Request work, but if there are questions how to do something i will GLaDly help ;)

xapoc

Post by xapoc » Tue, 25. Aug 15, 20:06

hey thanks UniTrader! Any info is welcome, will give this a try once I'm home.

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 02:59

Long ago someone was using a Bioshock profile with SLI, not sure if is any help but here is the Link:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/2870/disc ... 073264/#p1
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

xapoc

Post by xapoc » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 05:25

ok guys, after 2 more hours of trying every each way from bad fps to frantical crashes I solved all issues! woohoo!

what Santi said is true! THANK YOU!
I used bioshock 2 profile and added x-rebirth to it and game runs like champ!

Thats not all, as I mentioned earlier, I had frantical crashes, on load, on start, on any screen, with actually majority of settings.

Listen to this..

I down clocked my CPU from 4.8ghz to 4.7ghz and game is 100% stable!
also settings are maxed out as well.

My guess is the overclock affected stability of the GPU, odd part is this works fine in other games. But who cares now, works flawless at 4.7ghz.

Some screens.

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j38 ... aw5kqn.png

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j38 ... iiimks.png

http://i1083.photobucket.com/albums/j38 ... ifrorm.png

{Images posted directly to the forums should not be greater than 640x480 or 100kb, oversize image now linked - Terre}

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 13:59

Very interesting... all of you. I thought SLI wasn't took in charge.

Did you use a special tool to down-clock or simply bios setting?
On se rend vers la connaissance avec circonspection.
c.a.d, avec un immense respect et la peur au ventre.

xapoc

Post by xapoc » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 20:38

I changed the multiplier in the asrock utility program.

xapoc

Post by xapoc » Wed, 26. Aug 15, 20:40

here is my pc build and oc thread on tomsforums.

http://www.tomshardware.com/answers/id- ... sults.html

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Thu, 27. Aug 15, 10:57

ok, thx.
I wonder if you have enough fans :lol:
On se rend vers la connaissance avec circonspection.
c.a.d, avec un immense respect et la peur au ventre.

xapoc

Post by xapoc » Thu, 27. Aug 15, 19:39

lol..

yeah.. its actually fairly quite, I installed the ones on bottom recently, I had them laying around form my previous pc case, so made use of them.

My apartment gets really hot & humid sometimes, on bad day the temp. where my pc is can get to 80f.

Also recently I realized the nvidia inspector tool can put your gpus into power saver mode where they idle at 30c, instead like my were at ~44c.

This was after I installed the fans on the bottom.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Sun, 30. Aug 15, 16:20

xapoc wrote:ok guys, after 2 more hours of trying every each way from bad fps to frantical crashes I solved all issues! woohoo!

what Santi said is true! THANK YOU!
I used bioshock 2 profile and added x-rebirth to it and game runs like champ!
Hi,

Interesting to hear you're getting good results with this. I've tried this a number of times in the past, using the same Bioshock profile and the game ran beautifully, until a PiP came up, then the FPS tanked to way below single GPU levels.

As these PiP's come up in so many situations, the game became somewhat unplayable with forced SLI.

Now, I play at Ultra with just one of my 680's actually working, which is generally ok and over 40fps. It's just that after seeing SLI working (sans PiP) and how silky-smooth Rebirth was I'm spoilt!

Note: due to what I assume is a memory leak, I do get a gradual slow-down during long play sessions. A quick save/reload fixes it right away. Interestingly, a couple of nights ago, I noticed Rebirth had hit over 7gb memory used, so I'm not surprised it was chugging a bit.

Edit: Ok, so I thought I'd just try it out :)

Same issues as before, turning the Radar OFF does help when in the Skunks cockpit, however any PiP will cause fps to tank (from a v-sync'd 60 to 14 in my case) and even bringing up GUI elements such as the Zone map can cause a slight dip.

Viewing things in the external camera view is indeed still silky-smooth though.

It'd be great if ES did nail SLI/Crossfire again. I know it's low-priority as only a small sub-set of users have more than one GPU most likely. However, when Terran Conflict got its rolling demo - which supported SLI - it really did raise awareness of Egosoft and their games. Tech sites that'd never heard of Egosoft were suddenly talking about then due to the rolling demo stress test. Something similar for Rebirth may be a little late now, but for the next batch of DLC / Expansion or new game using the Rebirth engine, it might help.

Scoob.

rboerdijk
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by rboerdijk » Mon, 7. Sep 15, 15:14

Scoob wrote:Note: due to what I assume is a memory leak, I do get a gradual slow-down during long play sessions. A quick save/reload fixes it right away.
We did track one issue related to slowdown in long session, that fix should be in 3.61.

Scoob
x4

Post by Scoob » Tue, 8. Sep 15, 00:05

rboerdijk wrote: We did track one issue related to slowdown in long session, that fix should be in 3.61.
Excellent. Thank you.

Scoob.

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”