What do you expect from Egosoft? (next game)

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

quick poll about your expectations

X:Rebirth 2 (X:R conception)
31%
X4 (X 1-2-3 conception)
69%

Total votes: 152

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sat, 29. Aug 15, 11:25

werewolves? wrote:.........
Fleet command should be a must, with the glut of space games on the market Egosoft will have to seize that niche of commanding a vast empire but also being able to be hands on. But they also must really develop a substantial late game, it is one thing that has really been lacking from all their titles, they've never really cracked it..............
Fleet command yes, late game is really needed too.
The thing that drives most people on in a game, even through the grind and chores is to reach that final goal.
Most of the mundane stuff like small talk, highways, station landing ect, should in the later game be allowed to be bypassed by the use of expensive modules when you have lots of cash, because after playing for many hrs, these things you don't want to be still doing.
[ external image ]
Asus Tuf A17 Ryzen 7 - 4800h, GTX 1660ti, 16mb ram, ssd drive. win 11.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 29. Aug 15, 12:22

Hey guys the whole topic is obsolete as we know several facts on the new game:

- the game will be based on XR engine and most of it's mechanics
- they want to bring back flying multiple ships (I think it's easy - Skunk already has several cokpits, so you only need some interiors and landing bay models - fighter don't even need interirors, only cokpits)
- they want to improve GUI commands (probably even as a patch to XR - functions like select multiple ships via map, select empty space to give command, function to use action menu on the map screen)

These are what we know for sure.

If they also would tune the rough edges here and there like:
- better NPC management (not having to personally ferry them to their destination)
- player HQ/Shipyard
- some old races (Paranids and Terrans would be the easiest ones as Borons/new races would require too much work)
- 1 or 2 new developed systems
- 4 or 5 new "anarchy" systems with pirates and xenons - kinda like Pirate and Xenon alleys in X3
- more ships and weapons (more Frigates are badly needed and more Xenons - give me back the dreadful Qs and Ls)
- something like a Bridge mod
- something like carrier mod
- something CWIR mod
- better moddability (tools to add custom ship models)

Then I'd buy that game right away. I'm not a fan of XR, but with constant pathing I see a lot of unused potential in this engine.
Last edited by mr.WHO on Sat, 29. Aug 15, 14:07, edited 1 time in total.

Gligli
x3ap

Post by Gligli » Sat, 29. Aug 15, 12:51

I agree with XenonS and Skeeter.
I didn't vote. Cause I expect nothing. The better way not to be disappointed...

Nevertheless, I preview a melt of the old and new concept of XUniverse... An extrapolation of what we have now. The "When?" is far away...

Don't forget that the job of Egosoft is Engine an Plot related only (basically). They can't or want not "afford" the rest.
On se rend vers la connaissance avec circonspection.
c.a.d, avec un immense respect et la peur au ventre.

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sat, 29. Aug 15, 13:56

With a new x game, i think after the mess that was the x rebirth release, pre order will not go down well, as most will wait for youtube vids and ratings first.
So i hope they take the line of free beta testing, or at least demo's to try before buying.
Get the community involved in the game from the start, be open and show the development cycle, this is needed to earn back the trust that was lost.
[ external image ]

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 29. Aug 15, 14:48

Skeeter wrote:Sadly none of the options listed and you should have put a "other" option in.

From a player thats been around since 1999 and loved xbtf for its music and setting and characters then x2 for the diff ships ui and story even if it wasnt great its better than x3 and whats gone ahead of them. No interest in building stations or running them now its done to death in x games. If you want to do more of that just replay any of the x games. Its time to move on to something that isnt mainly about station building and running now.
Sorry, but are you out of your mind? If you take out station building and running the trade empire then you basically end up with Elite Dangerous - why would you bother with Egosoft game if you don't want to own your own stations/fleets/empire?

The fact that there is almost no other single player Space Sim game that allow you to own multiple stations/warships SINCE X-BTF clearly show that the niche Egosoft picked is the right one. If they would try to crawl out of it it would be a total failure because other studios have much more experience and resources to pull out the AAA quality crap for casuals.

Earth Ultimatum IV.
x4

Post by Earth Ultimatum IV. » Sun, 30. Aug 15, 13:38

Of course I want a XR-derivate game.
Why would I want X4? I played the previous titles for more than ten years. Why would I want to play it AGAIN?

Besides, Rebirth is moving towards the direction which I always wanted X to go to - immersion, cockpits, epic stations etc. etc.
Returning back to X3 feels like chopping off half of a game, demolishing visuals and immersion, making it raw and spread-sheet-ish again, and dropping a chunk of fun. Egosoft proved to me with X Rebirth that they can do much better than that.

Nosscar
x4

Post by Nosscar » Sun, 30. Aug 15, 13:53

Earth Ultimatum IV. wrote:Of course I want a XR-derivate game.
Why would I want X4? I played the previous titles for more than ten years. Why would I want to play it AGAIN?

Besides, Rebirth is moving towards the direction which I always wanted X to go to - immersion, cockpits, epic stations etc. etc.
Returning back to X3 feels like chopping off half of a game, demolishing visuals and immersion, making it raw and spread-sheet-ish again, and dropping a chunk of fun. Egosoft proved to me with X Rebirth that they can do much better than that.
I have got to agree with you there, i would not want to go back to x3, i enjoyed X rebirth, even with problems to begin with.
But i think the game has a lot of scope for a great game, some Mods are showing the way now, with some planning, and community views taken into account, the game and present mods, could be expanded upon to create a truly great game.
I think also maybe speeding the whole game up a bit is needed too, sometimes things take far too long and the player ends up twiddling thumbs waiting, more excitement in the next one please, but fine to keep a lot of what we have, just improve the UI, more shortcut keys, less menu navigation.With all the buttons available these days with advanced Hotas, Roccat power grid, and other tools such as headtracking, incorporate all these in stead of layered menu's.
[ external image ]

MegaJohnny
x4

Post by MegaJohnny » Sun, 30. Aug 15, 18:32

mr.WHO wrote:- they want to improve GUI commands (probably even as a patch to XR - functions like select multiple ships via map, select empty space to give command, function to use action menu on the map screen)
Please, let it be so... I'm so desperate for that interface in X I'd pay money for it.

not that they should charge for it alone, obviously

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 30. Aug 15, 19:21

In XR I really like the simplification and changes in a few areas that I totally despised in X2/3 series:

- you don't have to gear up every single fighter you own from guns to pilot seats. If not the lack of carrier script and command I'd use fighters like crazy in XR.

- you don't have to make a huge personal production line to arm you capship anymore - finally in entire X-series I was able to field more than one destroyer (now I own like 20 of them) without going into logistical nightmare.

- you don't have to pay a fortune for broken paint job on your warships as engies and repair drones will automatically repair the ship for you.

- you can target waships subsystems (if only you could make NPC orders to target specific subsystems - I hope that for XR2). Making much more tactical posibilities.

- boarding is now quite intresting (for XR2 I'd only hope that you could make boarding action not only from player ship but your NPC ships too, so you could spam more than 50 marines)

- station building and expanding is now much more fun. In X3 I was never into station building apart from Player HQ (which isn't in XR to my despair....hope for XR2). In XR I build like a dozen stations with no sweat.

- "trade reservations" system was a bit confusing at first, but now I think it's greate comparing to X2/3 "who get to the station first" system. If only they could put buy and sell menus as two half of the same screen (not having to constantly jump between buy and sell menu) it would be perfect in XR2.

If not the few VERY painful GUI design choices and one flyable ship (with suprisingly low number of upgrades and customizations) I would say that right now XR is greate game.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 30. Aug 15, 20:25

I wonder if because of THQ as a publisher they had to do certain things in xbtf which i really liked because it seemed ever since they left THQ their games have been more meh instead of amazing like xbtf was. The intro, the setting the species, the "ship". The music too.

Also i dunno about you but i want the teladi back from xbtf. Do you remember how they looked like and sounded like in xbtf in the intro when they met the teladi when he jumped into the strange new universe. I want that back. The teladi as small fat lumps of lizard that sound NOTHING like how they sounded back then when i played x rebirth was a pure insult to the teladi imo. They nerfed them so bad that is another big reason for me at least to want them to move away. They keep messing up their own games cos they have no new ideas and cant really go forward anymore.

I know im the minority it seems but meh ive been around long enough and played the games to voice my opinion. I still fondly remember seeing xbtf on the shelf in electronic boutique in 1998 or 1999 and buying it soly on the coolness of the box and on the back of the box. Getting home starting it and omg the intro to the game. Then x2, i really liked the game tho i didnt like the khaak bit but the rest was ok tho they wont win awards for animation i dunno why they never just outsourced that to a company that could do it better or hire a pro to do it instead of doing it themselves, anyhow. The ui was really nice it was intergrated into the game instead of what x3 ended up like (like windows ui lol or eve or somit, crap.) Not fun not colorful and engaging. It was full screen too so was easy to use.

Soon as x3 came with no internal docking that was it, and the ui put me right off it wasnt a game using it it felt more like work using the ui to play.

I really wished they did the x2 expansion instead of x3 at the time but nah it got cancelled even tho they seemed to have done alot of work. I dunno why they couldnt have just released what they had as a free patch or unofficial mod instead of wasting it with not releasing it.

Oh and to fix x rebirth so i want to play would mean overhauling the interiors of stations, there too big and practically empty, they need to be alot more npcs and ones walking about and doing things and more variety. Not just npcs with buying and selling but npcs with stories like u see in rpg otherwise why bother going in stations to land if u cant explore and find interesting ppl or unique npcs with special things to talk about or sell or buy. They should shrink the station interiors if u want them to be more filled without adding more npcs, maybe just land directly in the bar or the exchange room. The navigation system, i still have no idea how to know where i am or where anything is, its too strange and needs normal names and easy to know a direction to locations etc. The old navigation may have been basic as in a box in sensors view with a north east south and west games displaying stations but it worked well. I cant find out anything in x rebirth i dunno whats in the system i dunno how to get to places like other systems i just wing it visually which is hard when i barely play it. I think the most i have played it is about (goes to check steam) 25 hours. Dunno how anyone can navigate with that system. Bring back the old or somit more similar to the old system but with nice gfx ui.

And defo they need to remove all teladi, remake them as they appeared in xbtf basically humanoid with reptilian faces in military clothes. Not short stumpy things with a big tail. And they NEED the old voices back.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sun, 30. Aug 15, 21:03

I see that people who played X2/X3 actually have much bigger problems with XR GUI than the newcomers.

As for integrated menus in X2 and window GUI in X3 you have both in XR and from the moment they released a patch than gives you sidebar and X3 style menus I went for them right away. The integrated menu (the one with animation that turn your "pilot head" to the screen to your right) literaly make me dizzy and almost puke after 15 minutes of playing.

GUI has to be clean and easy to read over the fancy/immersive but impractical.

That's one of the nice things introduced by pathes is a choice:
- you don't want to land on stations - path gave space-to-station comms
- you don't want animated menus - path gives you X3 style menus
- you don't like Skunk cokpit - path let you choose a few others
- you don't like flying to shipyard zone - 3.60 path will fix this for you.

I think that almost everything (apart from flying something else than Skunk) that we complain in XR can be fixed by pathes. The only thing that I could complain is that they do not make pathes fast enough lately.
If they would do all of this like in 6 months after the release the statistics would be much better and people would actually wait for XR2 or DLC.

Right now even if they would release XR2 like tomorrow and if it would be every fan dream game I'm aftraid that many previous customers would not even care. From marketing point of view XR was even greater disaster than from gamer point of view.

Skeeter
x3

Post by Skeeter » Sun, 30. Aug 15, 21:51

Not to be a nitpick but i think you meant to say patches instead of path or pathes in that post.
[ external image ]
7600x cpu 5.4ghz 32gb DDR5 5600mhz 6700XT 32" 1440p mon

XenonSurf
x2

Post by XenonSurf » Sun, 30. Aug 15, 22:24

I'm happy to hear that the GUI will be upgraded with better commands in the next game.

If I think about Fleet Command, what should most urgently be done IMO, is:

The 'Retreat' or 'Withdraw from attack' command should be visible immediately in the menu when double-clicking on a ship or calling it.
The Broadcast command for all your squad ships should be available in the map. It should contain the option to 'Leave my squad - all ships'.

There are other things to improve in this regard, the whole design maybe, but with only these above fleet command would be way easier in XR.

XenonS

A5PECT
x4

Post by A5PECT » Sun, 30. Aug 15, 22:55

For me, the command interface in XR is just as comfortable (or uncomfortable) as X3's. The things missing are the commands themselves. I really want the ability to issue "move to position," "defend position," and "protect" orders back.

I like many of the changes to the zone/sector/galaxy map. You can move between each tier fluidly, it's rendered in all three dimensions, and the search filter is an extremely welcome addition. 3.60 grants the ability to select targets by clicking on them in the map screen, which is something to look forward to. If I could issue certain orders to my ships directly from the map without leaving it it would alleviate many, many issues I currently have with the XR interface in general.
Last edited by A5PECT on Mon, 31. Aug 15, 03:01, edited 1 time in total.

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Sun, 30. Aug 15, 23:34

mr.WHO wrote:I
- you can target waships subsystems (if only you could make NPC orders to target specific subsystems - I hope that for XR2). Making much more tactical posibilities.
Although it isn't a default setting for capitals (probably what you mean), we can do it on a small scale. The double-click in-space broadcast attack can be initiated on surface elements. Sorry if you were aware.

ezra-r
x4

Post by ezra-r » Mon, 31. Aug 15, 09:37

First.

* I expect they follow my suggestions to the letter (chuckles), but seriously, exploration and end game is really important for a space game, and random interesting stuff in "void" areas is very important for that.

Second.

* I expect they get a good QA team, which will "play" the game like we do and experience the issues as we do (because it's kind of ridiculous to start a game and see a ship oriented horizontally and boosting vertically at patch 3.60 and you haven't noticed/fixed this kind of behaviour still, or still acknowledge it, and like this, many others easy to see if you "play" the game a little), and then fix them, and not some crappy accelerated testing or whatever the heck....well, you get my meaning :lol:
Last edited by ezra-r on Tue, 1. Sep 15, 14:12, edited 1 time in total.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Mon, 31. Aug 15, 11:23

A5PECT wrote:For me, the command interface in XR is just as comfortable (or uncomfortable) as X3's. The things missing are the commands themselves. I really want the ability to issue "move to position," "defend position," and "protect" orders back.

I like many of the changes to the zone/sector/galaxy map. You can move between each tier fluidly, it's rendered in all three dimensions, and the search filter is an extremely welcome addition. 3.60 grants the ability to select targets by clicking on them in the map screen, which is something to look forward to. If I could issue certain orders to my ships directly from the map without leaving it it would alleviate many, many issues I currently have with the XR interface in general.
yes that is quite a good way to describe it, its about:
1. Having the commands available
2. Integrating the commands correctly into the UI

X3 had point 1 but not point 2, XR falls short on both.

A <move to position> command should be:
"move to my position" (radial menu)
"move to this position I select" (on the map)
ezra-r wrote: * I expect they get a good QA team, which will "play" the game like we do and experience the issues as we do...
aka User Experience testing, oh dear god yes don't leave it all post release

Ronixis
x4

Post by Ronixis » Mon, 31. Aug 15, 11:43

Vote for X4 but would like to see combination of both.
X3 + X-Rebirth`s features like modules on capships, boarding and station building.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Mon, 31. Aug 15, 18:52

Sparky Sparkycorp wrote:
mr.WHO wrote:I
Although it isn't a default setting for capitals (probably what you mean), we can do it on a small scale. The double-click in-space broadcast attack can be initiated on surface elements. Sorry if you were aware.
I wasn't aware of it. Gotta check this with my fighter group :)

Sparky Sparkycorp
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Sparky Sparkycorp » Mon, 31. Aug 15, 19:51

Good hunting :)

What I wrote was maybe a bit ambiguous. The command will work with capitals as well as fighters.

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”