What protection do I need

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Trevelvis
xr

What protection do I need

Post by Trevelvis » Tue, 9. Feb 16, 06:46

I am mining Nvidium and my TS gets attacked now and then so was wondering what should I use to protect them. Do I need a big ship or maybe two and if so which one would be best and what weapons should I use for it, Thx

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Niv

Post by Bill Huntington » Tue, 9. Feb 16, 07:13

My ship of choice is any M6 with any weapons. Remember it's OOS combat since you can't go there without losing the infinite regeneration feature. An M6 will outclass any M3, the usual opposition. If you get M6 as an opponent, then stay a grade ahead.

The best protection is a high pirate rep.
Bill in S.F., enjoying the game

Trevelvis
xr

Re: Niv

Post by Trevelvis » Tue, 9. Feb 16, 13:49

Bill Huntington wrote:My ship of choice is any M6 with any weapons. Remember it's OOS combat since you can't go there without losing the infinite regeneration feature. An M6 will outclass any M3, the usual opposition. If you get M6 as an opponent, then stay a grade ahead.

The best protection is a high pirate rep.
I know I should know this but how do you get a high pirate rep ?

JSDD
x3tc

Post by JSDD » Tue, 9. Feb 16, 14:53

making missions for pirates ...
you can easily see if someone who offers a mission is a "pirate"
most times they can be found on trading stations anywhere, at pirate bases or on stations in pirate sectors

killing a ship belonging to one of the 5 commonwealth races (argon/boron/split/paranid/teladi) in pirate sectors should also increase you reputation ^^
To err is human. To really foul things up you need a computer.
Irren ist menschlich. Aber wenn man richtig Fehler machen will, braucht man einen Computer.

Mission Director Beispiele

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Tue, 9. Feb 16, 15:12

You can often find pirate-owned stations in pirate sectors, some of whom may have missions for you. If you're losing ship after ship to pirate attacks, it's probably because there's a pirate base in the vicinity. If you're not overly concerned with your pirate reputation, taking out the base can (hopefully) move the problem to someone else's back yard, not yours.

The best protection against pirates is to build your facilities in race Core sectors, where they will be defended by the local race fleet, or in Yaki space, after doing several Build missions for the Yaki.

In the case of a mobile mining operation, it's probably cheaper in the long run to replace an occasional lost TS miner than to deploy an M6 or better as a guard.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Tue, 9. Feb 16, 15:30

What sector are you in that have these attacks? Kingdom End is well patrolled by the Boron, so any mobile mining there should be very safe. There are a number of other sectors that will support nividium mobile mining that are not as safe, but most people ignore them, especially in TC.

If you destroyed the asteroids in Perpetual Sin and are picking up that nividium, chances are a pirate base is in sector sending out those pirate raiding groups. Blow up the station and stop the spawn.

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Tue, 9. Feb 16, 16:28

A single M6 with good damage per ROUND is enough 99% of the time. Or better, improve your pirate rep. I believe killing Xenon outside Xenon sector 101 should improve your rep quickly. You don't even need super high pirate rep, in this save I have -7000 with them and most of the pirates left me alone anyway.

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Tue, 9. Feb 16, 20:21

ancienthighway wrote:What sector are you in that have these attacks? Kingdom End is well patrolled by the Boron, so any mobile mining there should be very safe. There are a number of other sectors that will support nividium mobile mining that are not as safe, but most people ignore them, especially in TC.

If you destroyed the asteroids in Perpetual Sin and are picking up that nividium, chances are a pirate base is in sector sending out those pirate raiding groups. Blow up the station and stop the spawn.
It's Seizewell I am losing a lot of ships and when they have over 10000 cargo space in
Spoiler
Show
nvidium
it's expensive to lose, I will try a couple of m6 hopefully will help while getting better rep[/spoiler]

Nanook
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Nanook » Tue, 9. Feb 16, 20:56

JSDD wrote:...
killing a ship belonging to one of the 5 commonwealth races (argon/boron/split/paranid/teladi) in pirate sectors should also increase you reputation ^^
Nope. They don't like you better for doing that. If anything, you're blowing up potential pirate prey. :wink:
Have a great idea for the current or a future game? You can post it in the [L3+] Ideas forum.

X4 is a journey, not a destination. Have fun on your travels.

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Wed, 10. Feb 16, 06:26

Ok I have decided to buy a couple of Skirons for OOS but haven't used one before so not sure what weapon would be best for this purpose . I have choice of :

Phased Repeater Gun
Ion Disruptor
Ion Pulse Generator
Energy Bolt Chain gun
Plasma Burst Generator

I was thinking of buying a third one for my personal ship ,which weapons would be best for that also

Thx

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Skiron

Post by Bill Huntington » Wed, 10. Feb 16, 07:36

I would use HEPT, PRG, or PAC. The most important number is Laser Reload Rate, which is good at 435 for the Skiron. The weapon itself doesn't matter too much. A stronger weapon runs out of E faster. A weaker weapon fires longer and might kill an enemy faster because of that. OOS however would favor the strongest weapon. The speed of the Skiron is good too, so it would fire before most enemies.

You used big TSs to gather for you. You would do better buying the cheap Vultures in SY in same sector. Keep one large TS to make the SY runs until you can buy a TL for the purpose.

I rarely had pirates attack me in Seizewell. A better pirate rating will help.

If you equip the Skiron with an Ore Collector and Special software, you can have it gather Niv until it needs to fight. I wouldn't set it to attack pirates or even Attack Enemies because even red pirates will ignore you most of the time. An M6 would have a relatively small cargo hold and would have to be cleared more often than the other TS. Store the E for the M6 in a gathering ship until you need it, freeing more cargo space.

Good Luck.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Wed, 10. Feb 16, 08:08

Trevelvis wrote:Ok I have decided to buy a couple of Skirons for OOS but haven't used one before so not sure what weapon would be best for this purpose .
CIG, even though it wasn't on your list, use it.
I was thinking of buying a third one for my personal ship ,which weapons would be best for that also
It is a flying brick in the hands of the player. Unless you can get some serious rudder tuning, you are better off flying almost anything else. I like the Chokaro for a personal ship, despite the poor steering because of the hold, speed, and able to carry 3 small ships of your choice. In fact for your mobile mining, use a TM with 3-4 HEPT equipped Falcon Haulers for defense. The Zephyr would be a potent mini M6 with this setup.

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Wed, 10. Feb 16, 08:44

ancienthighway wrote:
Trevelvis wrote:Ok I have decided to buy a couple of Skirons for OOS but haven't used one before so not sure what weapon would be best for this purpose .
CIG, even though it wasn't on your list, use it.
That isn't listed in Skiron weapons list ?? so not sure I can use them

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Wed, 10. Feb 16, 12:23

1) ANY M6s except maybe Osprey, Nemesis, Heavy Dragon or HCP are good enough. Nemesis/HD/HCP have stupid small cargo bay, Osprey...is simply so bad.

2) You only need one. ONE. Don't waste your money on more. I've never had pirate M6 SPAWNED to attack me, occasionally there were roaming M6s meeting my traders soon after starting a new save, but those got annihilated by CW ships quickly and spawned somewhere else.

3) Pick your weapon loadout based on damage per ROUND, that's saying you want your weapons have high dps but low rate of fire. So stuff like EBC (394 shots/minute) should never be used plus it's ammo based. CIG and IPG are really good.

4) Skiron can mount CIG on main guns (http://www.x3wiki.com/index.php/Skiron), but in TC PBG is waaaay better than any other corvette-level weapon in OOS combat. But I don't know if it has been patched or not. You can't go wrong with CIG.

Trevelvis
xr

Re: Skiron

Post by Trevelvis » Wed, 10. Feb 16, 12:51

Bill Huntington wrote:
I rarely had pirates attack me in Seizewell. A better pirate rating will help.

Good Luck.
Where can I see where my pirate rating is, as not with the others ?

fireanddream
xr

Post by fireanddream » Wed, 10. Feb 16, 13:30

If you don't mind a bit of cheating, enable script editor, display additional info, open the info menu of a pirate property and you'll find your rep there. Or you can find a hostile (red) pirate triad in pirate sector, save, scan all members and if they don't turn blue after ~5 tries you have negative rep with them.

Trevelvis
xr

Post by Trevelvis » Wed, 10. Feb 16, 21:53

fireanddream wrote:If you don't mind a bit of cheating, enable script editor, display additional info, open the info menu of a pirate property and you'll find your rep there. Or you can find a hostile (red) pirate triad in pirate sector, save, scan all members and if they don't turn blue after ~5 tries you have negative rep with them.
Spoiler
Show
I open script editor but not sure how to display additional info ???

Black_hole_suN

Post by Black_hole_suN » Thu, 11. Feb 16, 00:03

you could install this instead of going through the script editor

http://forum.egosoft.com/viewtopic.php?p=3687763

Bill Huntington
x3tc

Info

Post by Bill Huntington » Thu, 11. Feb 16, 02:18

You get to the Script Editor by typing "Thereshallbewings" in the Change Name menu item, then get to the Command Menu and press 'S' or click on the Script Editor. Then you press 'return' twice. Additional Info is a choice on the screen. Click on it so it shows 'Yes'. Then check under Information of a ship or station. The Rating numbers will be at the bottom. Ship Morale is an item below that.

Reload if you want to avoid the 'Modified' tag.

Trevelvis
xr

Re: Info

Post by Trevelvis » Thu, 11. Feb 16, 07:36

Bill Huntington wrote:You get to the Script Editor by typing "Thereshallbewings" in the Change Name menu item, then get to the Command Menu and press 'S' or click on the Script Editor. Then you press 'return' twice. Additional Info is a choice on the screen. Click on it so it shows 'Yes'. Then check under Information of a ship or station. The Rating numbers will be at the bottom. Ship Morale is an item below that.

Reload if you want to avoid the 'Modified' tag.

I must be doing something wrong, I already use Script Editor but when I start it the cursor is over "New Script" and if I press it it asks for input ????

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”