HoL Nebulas = fps killers

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Artean
x4

HoL Nebulas = fps killers

Post by Artean » Fri, 29. Apr 16, 19:06

Yeah, they sure look good but really kills my fps. Especially those in Ode Monumenti. Nebulas in Toride, however, almost have none impact on fps at all.

Seems there might be some low hanging fruits for optimization?

Edit. What really kills the fps (more or less cutting it in half) is when the sun shines trough a nebula.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

EventHorizon
x4

Post by EventHorizon » Mon, 2. May 16, 18:48

Hey Artean - can you post your hardware overview please? I don't care for the DxDiag (some might), but I have found very similar effects - not just in HoL but also in TO, OL, and station interiors and was wondering if there might be a pattern.
Windows 10 x64
Intel i5 4460
16 GB DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel
AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB
Saitek X52

Artean
x4

Post by Artean » Mon, 2. May 16, 19:51

Sure;

Win 10/64
Intel i7 3770k
8 GB RAM
Nvidia 970 gtx 4GB

Yes, all nebulas affects my fps but there seem to be some in the HoL expansion that are more devastating than others. This is been reported several times before, but it would be nice to get an indication from Egosoft if this will be addressed or not.
"In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and has been widely regarded as a bad move." - D.N.A

EventHorizon
x4

Post by EventHorizon » Mon, 2. May 16, 20:07

Ok, so nothing really common regarding graphics cards - so I doubt there is anything that we can do about this ourselves...BUT I have found a spot where I can replicate this effect and have a save game of that exact spot. This spot is in FO, and the performance hit is not as much as in HoL - but it is the same. Pan the camera, get the star induced glow FPS drops by 8. Pan back so you have shade, FPS goes back up to 60 (My Crimson drivers cap FPS at 59.9 by choice).

However, I have a few mods installed - none of them change performance, but at least one of them (which I thought I had removed but it turns out I had not) is not save safe. Bloody mods! :lol:

Egosoft technical team, is this something you can work with or do you insist on a fully clean save? The mods are all via Steam workshop.

I have started a separate thread listing the issues that I have found killing FPS here - though it also includes this issue. I do feel that this one is probably far more complex in both cause and resolution.
Windows 10 x64
Intel i5 4460
16 GB DDR3 1333Mhz Dual Channel
AMD Radeon R9 380 4GB
Saitek X52

Return to “X Rebirth - Technical Support”