win 7 64 bit bsod Please help urgent

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

win 7 64 bit bsod Please help urgent

Post by Free Trade Inn » Fri, 20. May 16, 20:58

Hi, I am getting a bsod but can start up using safe mode.
For some reason or other my pc isnt seeing my dvdr so I cant start up from the win7 instal disk or make a recovery disc that way.
Is there a quick fix for me?

The problem started when my machine was updateing windows (it may have been win 10) and I had a short power outage.

Chers in advance,

FTI
You can be cool, or you can be nasty, but as soon as you are one, you are not the other.
FTI

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Fri, 20. May 16, 21:55

can you revert to a previous restore point? It sounds like the update has borked some drivers.

I'm not using Windows right now, but I'm fairly certain system restore is in accesories in the start menu
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Fri, 20. May 16, 22:16

Is it not possible to use a USB stick to repair windows? I'm not sure but I think that's an option.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

Len5

Post by Len5 » Fri, 20. May 16, 22:28

Recovery and repair often don't work right anyway and maybe you don't have to. Check out http://www.sevenforums.com/
Maybe there's a thread of someone with the same problem (bsod error code) or you could follow instructions and post bsod log and they'll give you a quick answer. They're really helpful there.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Fri, 20. May 16, 22:52

The power outage while updating your OS and during disk write has corrupted the OS or other essential drivers on your drive. I honestly think that going back to a known good restore point is your best bet.

You can spend a lot of time trying various check and repair functions (eg sfc/scannow or chkdsk /f etc) but these are not guaranteed to find and fix the issue while going back to a recent good restore point when your system was working well has pretty favourable odds. There should be one from just before you started the OS update.
A dog has a master; a cat has domestic staff.

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Fri, 20. May 16, 23:04

Cheers guys.
Where would I find system restore points?
I have made one at some point but cant find it

FTI
You can be cool, or you can be nasty, but as soon as you are one, you are not the other.
FTI

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sat, 21. May 16, 13:00

If he was upgrading to win 10 then I think he could make a win 10 usb drive or disc and upgrade from it? It may not work? I keep my operating system on a separate partition from my data, etc... so that if I need to reinstall the operating system I don't lose stuff. It's a good idea.

http://www.laptopmag.com/articles/how-t ... windows-10

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 21. May 16, 14:16

Free Trade Inn wrote:Cheers guys.

FTI
Windows should have made a restore point just before the update process started, for exactly this reason--check for that one when you do the restore.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 21. May 16, 15:38

pjknibbs wrote:
Free Trade Inn wrote:Cheers guys.

FTI
Windows should have made a restore point just before the update process started, for exactly this reason--check for that one when you do the restore.
^--- This.

Windows creates a System Restore Point every time it begins to update the system. (Only when updates are going to actually be applied, not during download/waiting process, just in case you don't allow Windows to auto-update itself.)

For future reference so you can create a USB-bootable version of Windows 7, see here:

http://www.howtogeek.com/191054/how-to- ... ing-system

You will, however, have to configure your computer to search USB ports for boot devices. Most do not have this enabled by default, IIRC. Go into your computer's BIOS settings and configure the Boot Order settings to also search USB slots. Note: Sometimes, if you have any Read/Write device plugged into a USB slot that isn't a bootable version of an OS, the search process will fault out. (The same is true for CD/DVD boot) So, disconnect any other USB storage media when attempting to boot from USB. (If it does fault out, it won't harm anything, just let it finish complaining, unplug the USB device, then reboot.)

If you routinely attach USB storage devices, it's often a good idea to disable USB bootable-OS searches from your BIOS settings. You can re-enable them at any time to boot from USB. (That's why manufacturers often disable that USB boot feature in the BIOS.)

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Sat, 21. May 16, 19:43

Fresh instal of windows done.
I have a folder with my old account, desk top ect but steam games dont work.

1/ I have an image back up from a while ago am I better off using that or re-intalling steam?

2/ The only game that I really want to keep my last savesa is ESO are the saves on the server or my machine?

FTI
FTI

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sat, 21. May 16, 19:58

Free Trade Inn wrote:Fresh instal of windows done.
I have a folder with my old account, desk top ect but steam games dont work.

1/ I have an image back up from a while ago am I better off using that or re-intalling steam?

2/ The only game that I really want to keep my last savesa is ESO are the saves on the server or my machine?

FTI
If you've already done a fresh install of the OS, just go ahead and do a fresh install of Steam, anyway. Steam has enough weird issues without adding more confusion for it. You shouldn't have any issues using saved games from your "old" system, so long as there's nothing with the game, itself, that prevents it. (ie: Really vicious copy-protection methods that digitally sign games/saves to a single PC, etc..)

Saved games will not be updated on Steam Cloud servers unless you've enabled that option for them. I think you can check for that from your new, fresh, install of Steam without having to even have the game installed.
Last edited by Morkonan on Sat, 21. May 16, 20:00, edited 1 time in total.

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 21. May 16, 19:59

Your Steam games account is pretty independent of the system you use and you should be able to log in from wherever (as long as only one system is active at a time on your account).

It sounds more as though either Steam and/or your games are not properly installed and initiated on the fresh install, or you have moved your Steam folder and/or saves from where they were originally held and are still expected. Also make sure that you have not further compressed or encrypted the gamefiles or saves during the reinstall.

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Sat, 21. May 16, 20:11

[ external image ]

Other games when I try and start them act like they have never been started i.e.
Performing first time set up.
Do I want to do this with all my games or do I need to be moving folders.
If so what folders and where do I move them?

FTI
Last edited by Free Trade Inn on Sat, 21. May 16, 20:33, edited 1 time in total.
FTI

Alan Phipps
Moderator (English)
Moderator (English)
x4

Post by Alan Phipps » Sat, 21. May 16, 20:21

Obviously I don't have the same games as you but this is my path for that granny2.dll - D:\Steam\steamapps\common\DefenseGrid2\granny2.dll

My Steam folder is deliberately not anywhere in a system Program Files** folder precisely to avoid Windows permissions issues.

I suspect that granny2 may not be the only Steam game dll with issues for you now.

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Sat, 21. May 16, 20:42

LOL well it seems most games will play but the saves will need to be found from the old account folder.

Ironicly the only game at the moment that I wan to play ESO wouldnt have this problem with saves as it is all on server...but it wont load :(

FTI
FTI

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 21. May 16, 23:23

Alan Phipps wrote:Your Steam games account is pretty independent of the system you use and you should be able to log in from wherever (as long as only one system is active at a time on your account).
Actually, you can log in on multiple machines with the same Steam account--the in-home streaming feature Steam offers wouldn't work otherwise.

Morkonan
x3tc

Post by Morkonan » Sun, 22. May 16, 03:32

Free Trade Inn wrote:Log into steam np but get this
[ external image ]

Other games when I try and start them act like they have never been started i.e.
Performing first time set up.

FTI
Note where it says the "granny.dll" file is located... It's in your "Windows.old" directory structure, which is your old OS installation. Whenever you install a new OS without overwriting/deleting the old, the old Windows OS will rename itself to "Windows.old" so that there's no confusing/reassigning of critical system files and drivers. It's also good in that it lets you test a new OS installation and you can revert to the old one by deleting the new install and renaming the "windows.old" installation when it reverts.

You will continue to have these sorts of issues if you try to run Steam-installed games from that old directory structure. Don't do it and don't just link the game's executables in Steam as that will likely cause you a lot of problems, later.

Use a fresh, clean, install of Steam and then reinstall your games directly from Steam, as you normally would, so that it creates the proper directory structure, so you don't have library files like this not knowing where they are. :)

That is normal. After all, as far as that particular installation of the game is concerned, it has never been installed. Typically, a newly installed game will do things like check for distributed software (DirectX) installations and create its directory structure, saved game folders, ini files, config files, etc... You will encounter this with every new install, since a "new install", even if you've had the game installed previously, is going to create everything the game needs, from scratch.

Install your games from scratch using your new Steam installation. Don't try juggling old game folders around unless they are simple "saved game" folders. Once you reinstall the game, copy your old saved games over to the new folder structure and see if they work. You will find saved games for most games in your "My Documents" directory. Some may have their own folder, some may have a separate subfolder under a directory like "Saved Game Files." When in doubt where to look for your old saved games, Google the game.

The only thing you might want to move over to the new installation of a game are saved game files and mod folders that aren't dependent upon installation into the root directory of the game. (ie: Game folders/files that are self-referencing and do not overwrite system or game files are the sorts that would be fine to copy over. Mod files that have their own self-contained folder that doesn't have anything in it that makes use of anything outside of that folder would be fine. But, mods that overwrite game files or that dynamically make use of them will have to be reinstalled or at least tested.)

Remember - Reinstall your games through your new Steam client in your new OS installation. Do not attempt to just copy/paste the old copies of these games nor should you try to simply "associate" them with Steam like when you would "add a non-Steam game" to Steam. These games almost always need to register themselves with the system and need to create their own initialization/config files that often include mapping out the directory structure.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 22. May 16, 07:44

For ESO the launcher has a repair function under game options on the first launch screen pop up. It's right of the text "Realm status online".

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Sun, 22. May 16, 17:52

I just found this on a seperate usb drive. [ external image ]

The date says 2014 butI am sure I have backed up this year.

Would restoring one of these files fix my problem? ...Sorry forgive my ignorance.

Do I wanna restoer Ralph-pc or
widows image backup?

Cheers in advance and thanks all for your input.

FTI
FTI

Return to “Off Topic English”