XR storyline/plot /generic mission vs sandbox

General discussions about X Rebirth.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Nikola515
x4

XR storyline/plot /generic mission vs sandbox

Post by Nikola515 » Fri, 20. May 16, 21:08

After playing XR/X3 and other games I noticed that almost all sandbox games lack good story and generic missions in them. For example XR have a lots of missions but it is always about money (weapons mods after 4.0). Perhaps we should have different rewards like old ship,materials, missiles or drones ?

Another thing that is miss operatunity is all of those junk items. For example we could use space suits or medical supplies to deliver ship in need. Or even send our crew (engineer ) to help fix ship..... Recapture stolen ship....

Anyway is this limitations of sandbox game here ? I think missions should have meaning in them (at least plot). Also I want to see what is missing here ? What everyone thinks about this ?
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Ezarkal
x4

Post by Ezarkal » Fri, 20. May 16, 21:17

I agree with the whole idea. I'm at the point where I just stopped doing missions because they got too repetitive. We could really use ships as a reward of doing a task (other than missions that just offer you to buy the ship, in v4.00)
There are some missions that offer station info as a reward, but I find it's just not an interesting reward.

And yes, most inventory item could have a more important use than simply hoarding them to sell them in a bunch. ES had an excellent idea when they implemented the crafting system, but it could use a little bit more scope and dept. I know there are mods out there that allow you to craft drones, seminars and missiles from inventory item. That's a good first step towards what that whole system needs, I think.
Humans are deuterostomes, which means that when they develop in the womb the first opening they develop is the anus.
This means that at one point you were nothing but an asshole.

Some people never develop beyond this stage.

RAVEN.myst
x3tc

Post by RAVEN.myst » Fri, 20. May 16, 23:38

Yup, I like the notion, especially your idea of "we could use space suits or medical supplies to deliver ship in need" - it's that sort of thinking that can lead to creative mission design.

I would definitely enjoy seeing both more creative missions, and more varied rewards. Take for example the Xenon Incursion - the best part of the reward there is the faction trade info as reward, partly because it's so useful, but also because IT'S NOT JUST MORE CREDITS. At that stage of the game, most of us don't give a flying 5417 about credits - in my latest game I was sitting with billions, and making a billion every 2 days just from stations' income - I couldn't spend it fast enough! So why would I bother with a mission that pays even tens of millions of credits?

I'm replaying the whole X-series at the moment, and am really looking forward to X3TC. One of the reasons is the corporation plots - the missions are bland and lacklustre, not very imaginative at all, but I enjoy the opportunity to play for unique ships. Throughout TC and AP there are opportunities in the main plots to get special rewards: the Griffon at the end of OFF; the Truelight Seeker after Goner Plot; the Hub; the Headquarters; a sector; a TL class ship (not unique, but nice to get anyhow!); the Acynonyx Prototype;... the list goes on and on. In Rebirth, the only times I see this are the freebie Rahanas (hardly a "reward", really), the Taranis (same thing - but still, nice to get, but it's not unique), and the Xenon S mining ship - whoop-dee-fracking-doo! :P
-
Boron passenger: "You must hurry - my testicles are drying out!"
-
Born on Lave, raised on Freeport 7...
-
The Write Stuff

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sat, 21. May 16, 03:02

Actually X3 and hub mission is perfect example of what XR would need. It is one of end game missions that takes longe time and resources to finish it. For example rebuilding DV or Cold Star would be perfect mission and it would give meanings to player. Terraforming planets or even building gates for random generated systems.... There is too much going in X Uneverse but player cant do nothing about it. Perhaps this is problem with XR because missions dont have meaning or efect on world?

I think X3 had more ships so geting that most rare ship to pilot was extremely fun. Even geting first M6 or M7 was accomplishment. XR is just missing that tuch..... Another thing in X3 is that we could influence uneverse if we wanted :D
It's not world hunger because we can't feed poor,it's because there will never be enough to feed the rich .....

Santi
Moderator (DevNet)
Moderator (DevNet)
x4

Post by Santi » Sat, 21. May 16, 04:25

So far I encountered missions where the rewards are money, seminars, trading agents, faction relation improvement, weapons, engines, SETA, Jump drive, new ships, crafting materials and sometimes, the reward is a bunch of enemies trying to kill you.

You have a point with end game missions like the Hub, but I will prefer that your original point where generic missions lack a good story is addressed, specially regarding NPC's. Right now there is no connection when you take a mission, I have to say that I miss the rank progression from previous games when taking missions for the different factions.
A por ellos que son pocos y cobardes

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sat, 21. May 16, 07:20

I haven't seen any seminar missions yet.... But those missions are one time use only. For example weapons,engine,SETA or shields are only one time mission that takes long amount of time. After that I have seen them again but it is always about money.... To me cargo full of fusion reactors would be better for reward than whole bunch of money. Especially when you need to build something and cant find it in remote areas like DV or CS. Or mission where you need to move refuges from Albion to DV (just like one with plot but you are using your own cap ships). Something that have meaning to game or storyline it self. Here are actually some ideas for missions :

Ship in distress. Mission can be selected on station or randomly created when player passing by. Player can ignore or take it.

1) One of crew members had injury and he she need replacement. Get captain defense officer or engineer.

2) Ship have been attacked by pirates(any enemy) and it needs help defending it self.

3) Ship is about to explode and you need to get crew out.

4) People on ship are hurt and they need medical supply.

5) Ship is full of refugees that are starving and bring food and water.

6) Ship took to much interior damage and it needs space suits to fix it.

Transport Mission . This would require some modifications to cap ships...

1) Transport refuges to safe zone.

2) Transport security personal to station.

3) Transport firearms, artifacts or something illegal to location.

4) Transport cartel boos prisoners.

Exploration Recovery Missions

1) Scan Enemy station.

2) Scan Unknown object.

3) Lost ship. With this many thing can go wrong with ship or it might be just destroyed by enemy.

4) Gather Intel.

Pirate Missions

1) Place dirty bomb in station.

2) Board ship and kidnap crew.

3) Disable station weapons/systems (hacking).

4) Set a virus in ship/station.

This is just some of ideas and rewards should be more than money. For example high skilled captain is willing to join your crew if you kill man that killed his family (little story behind mission would help).

As for end game missions XR have plenty room and loopholes to fill. Personally it is just waste if you ask me. This is some of ideas:

1) Rebuilding DV or any God forsaken sector ;)

2) Terraforming planets.

3) Building/fixing gates.

4) Helping Albion or OL to build massive fleets to fight Xenon or PMC.

Simoom
x4

Post by Simoom » Sat, 21. May 16, 07:34

Some very good ideas here... might be worth posting them in the Modding section. :) I too feel the generic missions are not very appealing.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 21. May 16, 19:44

I'd love some more fleet missions like that one time Xenon Invasion mission in Koroni.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sat, 21. May 16, 21:18

I think I already did posted about it but it was long time ago.....

I agree 100% with Xenon invasion missions. Also I would want to see some more mission similar to battle for gate,attack on that PMC station or mining operation in DV mission. Mission where we can see conflict between fractions. Also where two fleet are battling each other you are joining in. It is not just you against enemy alone mission but with allays helping and working together( you would need to get paid by kill to balance things). But I think capital ship AI needs to improve in order for this to happen because whole thing would be mess....

Anyway I think some missions and events should be random and not player activated to bring reality in to the game. Another thing that is missing in XR missions is random radio charter. For example when we hit someone they will complain. But if NPC hits NPC there is nothing..... Screaming for help or being happy after taking out enemy (bringing more emotions in to the game). Something like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIEksP8ot0s

Now this is awesome video :D
Last edited by Nikola515 on Sat, 21. May 16, 23:18, edited 1 time in total.

mr.WHO
x4

Post by mr.WHO » Sat, 21. May 16, 21:22

@Nikola515: Exactly - these were also greate missons for me and I'd love to see similar style "random missions".

I'd also add the second act of campaign where PMC carriers were roaming in DeVries (some were probably bugged AI that was fixated on chasing be all from Albion) and attacking Canteran patrol - these were the glimpses of proper "war" jobs, but all of these were more like coincidence than actual Egosoft work.

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sat, 21. May 16, 23:33

That would be nice if it actually worked as intended. But the thing that I never liked about that was constant spawning enemy ships in universe. I personally think it would be better if they come as random mission or event. For example there is Xenon/Pirate invasion in to the system and you need to stop it with allays. It would make sense to make one big battle that whole bunch of small ones. Similar to Battle of Gates where you work together with allays to stop them. If you don't participate enemy will invade whole system making it difficult to trade or protect your assets for short period of time. Also outcome should depends on how big fleet is based on shipyard production (it would give shipyard some meaning). But you can always build your fleet to protect gate it self. I know some people wouldn't like this so it should be only on hard mode. Currently ships coming out of nowhere don't make any sense :( There should be station or outpost and when discovered by ally NPC or player it should be mission. This would be like destroy Xenon/Enemy/Pirate base mission similar to destroy PMC station mission ;)

Simoom
x4

Post by Simoom » Sun, 22. May 16, 00:05

I'll look into writing a mod for this next. :)

Special rare combat missions that reward unique ships (Xenon fighters, Xenon S, PMC Moebius/Golem, and even Kha'AK fighters). May be model can be faction-dependent (for the prototype PMC fighters, only available through PMC, and Kha'AK fighters through Toride Colonists)

Nikola515
x4

Post by Nikola515 » Sun, 22. May 16, 00:26

Simoom wrote:I'll look into writing a mod for this next. :)

Special rare combat missions that reward unique ships (Xenon fighters, Xenon S, PMC Moebius/Golem, and even Kha'AK fighters). May be model can be faction-dependent (for the prototype PMC fighters, only available through PMC, and Kha'AK fighters through Toride Colonists)
Nice :)

Thats's one of reasons why I asked to add summon enemy fleet/armada on your mod so I can see how it would work out :D Ill keep close eye on that mod as soon as you get it working ;)

Return to “X Rebirth Universe”