Laptop recommendation?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Vally37

Laptop recommendation?

Post by Vally37 » Tue, 19. Jul 16, 12:23

Hello,
I like X rebirth game and I want to play it on my laptop. The problem is my my current laptop has a very poor configuration, i3-4005U Processor, 4 GB DDR3 1600 MHz and on board video card Intel HD Graphics 4400.

Please can you recommend a good laptop, not very expensive, to make sure that the game runs smoothly? I can buy the laptop from here http://www.cel.ro/laptop-laptopuri/
I read that Asus laptops are good for gaming, is that right?

Thanks

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Tue, 19. Jul 16, 12:37

Hardware recommendations do not belong in Tech Support. Moved to Off-Topic where I'm sure people will be able to offer some opinions. :)

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Tue, 19. Jul 16, 18:04

Vally37 wrote:I read that Asus laptops are good for gaming, is that right?
You cannot decide for a laptop based on the manufacturer name alone. That makes no sense. Asus laptops can be good for gaming, if they have the proper hardware installed, but that doesn't mean that every Asus laptop is a gaming laptop nor that all the gaming laptop configurations offered by Asus are good setups. That's pretty much true for every laptop manufacturer.

Proper gaming laptops usually are considered expensive (when compared with PC equivalents). Therefore you should clarify what "not very expensive" means for you, i.e. what is your price range?
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Morkonan
x3tc

Re: Laptop recommendation?

Post by Morkonan » Tue, 19. Jul 16, 18:25

Vally37 wrote:...I read that Asus laptops are good for gaming, is that right?

Thanks
As was mentioned above, you can't judge a laptop's "gaming" suitability solely based on manufacturer.

I played X3TC, with no issues, on an HP laptop with an i5 processor and 8 gigs of Ram, using its Radeon Mobility chip and a standard 500gig hard-drive. (One of the HP dv7 series with special multimedia features and Beats audio) X3TC does, IIRC, have lower video requirements than Rebirth.

That laptop is still going strong, too, and is suitable for most games that I would play. I use a desktop, these days, for most things.

So, based on my experience and performance vs value, the HP dv7 that I had was well worth it. BUT, there could be much better laptops out there.

With a laptop, you're going to be paying extra. Everything in a laptop must be "ruggedized" to take the more extreme environment and to provide for portability with the least amount of weight packed into the tightest space. In general, you can build a pretty decent PC that's much more capable than an equally priced laptop in regards to "gaming."

But, if you need the portability, a laptop is the way to go.

So, what do you want? Do you need the portability that a laptop brings you? Or, are you more concerned with price-point as it relates to gaming performance? If the former, go with a laptop. If the latter, go with a standard PC.

As far as the X games are concerned, they're a bit more demanding of the processor and system RAM than one might think. You want a video card that gives you the visual performance desired (check the minimum and recommended specs) and if you want to increase performance in general, above that, focus on the CPU and RAM. I would not recommend a laptop with under 8 gigs of RAM for anything involving graphics/gaming. However, it may be cheaper to get a 4 gig RAM system and then upgrade the RAM after you get it. Check the laptop's motherboard specs to be sure that this is feasible, though.

Chips
x4

Post by Chips » Tue, 19. Jul 16, 20:28

Choose why you need the laptop carefully. You will be paying a premium around 3 times greater than for a desktop; so if it's not really because you're moving around a lot and will be playing away from home constantly, then fair enough.

Things to note would be what do games you like to play - and what are the min recommended specs laptop wise, and average recommended specs? It'd be worthwhile building up a "profile" of the sort of gfx requirements (dedicated graphics likely), memory requirements and cpu requiremens etc.

Asus are a solid brand - but unless you get the right hardware with it, it will be no better than any other make for gaming purposes.

Return to “Off Topic English”