Starting out

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

elbmek

Starting out

Post by elbmek » Wed, 24. Aug 16, 11:33

hello everyone, I have just discovered X3 Albion Prelude and overall bought the 3 pack gold edition. I find it very hard to start off and managed to sell the Discovery ship to make some cash. Which commodity is best to buy at X and Sell at Y, wherever X and Y are. I am a 'humble trader'.

With my memory, all these controls are a nightmare.

Commodity tips and which weapons at the begiining should I be looking at?

Thanks in advance

ps: I am on steam

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Wed, 24. Aug 16, 12:49

Energy Cells are a good start, because there is always something that needs them. Ore is also good, but make sure you have a buying for it first
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

elbmek

Post by elbmek » Wed, 24. Aug 16, 14:49

Thanks, I am doubting my wisdom, buying all three, they are al the same!!
Darkness is only the absence of light, Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Wed, 24. Aug 16, 15:42

Until you get Remote Trade Software, you can't see prices without docking. The trick is to go by the bars showing quantity in stock. If the final product bar is almost full, it will sell cheaply, if it's empty, they're in no hurry to sell. Take that resource (ore, energy cells, silicon, food) to a factory with an almost empty resource bar for that item, and you'll make a healthy profit. The proper software just allows you to see the actual price.

E-cells are always in demand somewhere, so there's no risk in being stuck with them. On the other hand, the profit margin is mediocre. Ore offers a much better return IF (and it's a big "if" in some areas) you can find the right buyer. Silicon and food are good in some areas and poor sellers in others where the market is saturated.

I agree that the User Interface is the pits. The actual game is great, it's just a pain to find and access the commands. Eventually you'll either figure most of it out on your own, or read about it here on the forum.

Selling the Discoverer is probably a bad idea. Once you've got a few spare credits and Remote Trade Software on your personal ship, you can send the freighter off on trade runs while you explore in the Disco. The addition of a Mineral Scanner allows you to do Asteroid Scan missions.

The Discoverer only accepts Impulse Ray Emitters for armament, so you're limited to those until you're ready to get a different ship. Once you have a pair of guns, you should be more than able to take Defend Station missions, because any opponents that spawn at your low level will be no real threat to the stations, and the local authorities will eventually take care of the problem even if you never fire a shot. Basically free money, and the chance to pick up dropped missiles or force a pilot to bail to get a free ship (then you can eject and fix it up with your spacesuit repair laser).

The depth of this game is staggering, and you've barely scratched the surface of even the early stages of the game. Enjoy.

Sirrobert
x3ap

Post by Sirrobert » Wed, 24. Aug 16, 16:52

Honved wrote:Until you get Remote Trade Software, you can't see prices without docking. The trick is to go by the bars showing quantity in stock. If the final product bar is almost full, it will sell cheaply, if it's empty, they're in no hurry to sell. Take that resource (ore, energy cells, silicon, food) to a factory with an almost empty resource bar for that item, and you'll make a healthy profit. The proper software just allows you to see the actual price.
You mean Trading System Extension. Dirt cheap, available at any Equipment Dock
9 out of 10 voices in my head say I'm crazy. The 10th is singing the music from Tetris

ajax34i
x4

Post by ajax34i » Wed, 24. Aug 16, 17:17

Game difficulty is pretty hard in the beginning, because of all the limitations that you get by not having all the software extensions installed in your ships, and because you don't have money.

Keep in mind that trade opportunities are being filled out by the NPC traders, so as you fly around looking for energy cells at solar power plants and then looking for fabs (factories) that need them, the NPCs will use their big transports to fill out these needs before you can.

You can, of course, do an activity that doesn't require investing money first:

- mine ore asteroids (shoot them up into the smallest pieces with a weapon, then fly your transport ship into them to collect them), then sell the ore.

- collect loot (go to a pirate or border sector where there may be an active fight between various NPC ships; any destroyed ships will leave behind crates of missiles which you can collect and then sell at an equipment dock).

These should get you enough of an initial sum of money to allow you to buy some of the trade and combat software extensions to un-gimp your ship.

You also should explore the adjacent solar systems a little bit, because the economy of a region is typically spread out over several sectors, with, for example, the energy production in the north, the ore in the south, the food production in the west, and the factories that require these resources in the center.

X-Me

Post by X-Me » Wed, 24. Aug 16, 17:50

Hey elbmek,

I'm fairly new to the game as well, but I can give you good tips without spoiling your fun.

First and foremost: use the in-game Encyclopedia. Make it a habit.
The Ency is your best friend. What you know, she knows. And what you forget, she doesn't.
The Encyclopedia is initially empty. It populates as you go places and find things (stations, ships, extensions, wares, weapons, races...)
Invest some time in exploring your surroundings even if you're making no direct money in the process. The contents you accumulate in the Encyclopedia will pay off plenty later.
The Ency will give you the properties of objects known to you. It will tell you which wares are produced by a station and which other stations consume those same wares as resources. And it will tell you where to find those stations. It will tell you where to go buy specific ships, or weapons, or extensions that you want. It will tell you what you can outfit each ship with, and more.
The Encyclopedia is so useful that you should assign a keybind to it for quick recall. I'm using 'Shift + C'. Suit yourself :)

Another tip is to cultivate your relationships with the other races. Credits alone can't buy you everything in this game. Your personal standing with the aliens is a commodity like any other, you just don't buy it with Credits, you earn it with missions. Do missions even if they pay too little for the trouble they put you through, and even if -at the end of the day- you've spent more money than you've earned. Reputation gain is as good a reward as Credits.

My third and last tip is to never rush your decisions. This game hardly gifts you anything. And it's very easy to make the wrong choice, losing money and/or reputation as a result. Be sure to think things through. When on the fence, fly to the nearest station and save (so you can roll back). If you don't have enough time to make an informed decision (or can't save your game before the offer expires), it may be wiser to decline the offer. At least until you are able to recognize the good opportunities on the fly.

Speaking of opportunities, this game is all about them. Don't make predetermined plans to follow yet. Roadmaps will be a viable way of playing once you got a steady income to rely on.
Until then, 'improvisation' is the key to have a good start.

Graaf
x3tc

Re: Starting out

Post by Graaf » Wed, 24. Aug 16, 18:11

Welcome to the X-Universe.
elbmek wrote:With my memory, all these controls are a nightmare.
Go to Options > Gameplay > Controls. Have a look around. Change them if desired.

Personally I hate the default mouse control that X3 offers so I use the 99%-Keyboard set-up from X2. There is a command for it in there somewhere.

elbmek wrote:Commodity tips and which weapons at the begiining should I be looking at?
First get the Trading System Extension. Maybe a few more engine tunings. And perhaps even sell your 5MJ shield in exchange for a 1MJ shield.

Like others said: Energy Cells, Ore, Meatsteak Cahoonas.
As a trader you do not want to get involved with weapons yet.

ancienthighway
x4

Post by ancienthighway » Wed, 24. Aug 16, 18:58

tl:dr Check stations to see what they need, then find a station that has it. Buy low, sell high.

Unlike Honved, I think selling the Disco is a good move in Humble Trader. It will not bring you any income for a while, so you've just got needed credits tied up in it. There are reasons to keep it too, which I'll mention later.

The Trading System Extension is critical. While you can look at each station and get a feel for stock levels and make reasonable guesses about prices, the TSE makes it so much simpler, faster and exact.

As you fly around to make purchases or sales, keep looking at other stations in sector to see what they need and what they have. Then satisfy the needs that you can.

Starting in the Argon Prime area, silicon is a ware to avoid, in TC and AP. It's very good in Reunion IIRC. In TC and AP there aren't enough consumers to warrant the large number of suppliers. Argnu Beef is another one to avoid. Lots of supply keep the consumers full all the time.

With the supply of energy cells around and the Argnu beef, Meatsteaks Cahoonas aren't my first choice to trade in as stations are generally well supplied. But there is money to be made in them by buying cheap, well below average price, and selling to the trading stations. Same thing for Rimes cloth.

Focus your efforts on ore, wheat, and energy cells. And when you get enough credits saved up for that first station and supporting transport, you can't go wrong with wheat in Herron's Nebula.

There are many consumers and suppliers of ore in the AP area. Don't forget to check neighboring race sectors that border the Argon sectors. The problem is the ore isn't moving from suppliers to consumers. Filling this role is your early game money maker. Pick up energy or wheat on the return trip as you head back to the ore mines.

Discos are great for smuggling runs. In Herron's Nebula, the Argon have two Space Fuel producers and one consumer in the form of the Trading Station. The Disco is fast enough that if you fly between the suppliers and consumer, you won't be scanned by the police and have to dump the cargo most of the time. And if you do have to dump it, you aren't losing a huge amount of credits. With additional Discos you could make the type of run to Pirate Bases in race territory. You are looking at neighboring sectors right?

With this use of the Discos, you need to buy some. Do not buy them from the Shipyards. You'll pay too much. So where do you get these Discos? You buy them second hand. As you fly around, you'll see ships with the credit symbol over them. Those ships are for sale. Check them out for some great deals on transports, and fighters, in particular the Disco. I just bought one in my game for 1,900 credits. Make sure you are paying less than you would at the shipyards, there are some scammers out there.

One thing I like to do is by any M3s I can muster the money for, even if it means a couple of trade runs are disrupted. Buying a used Nova for around 400k-500k credits and then selling it for 900k to over a million is some fast easy money. Buy the ship, jump out of your ship and repair it, then sell it at a shipyard.

Triaxx2
x4

Post by Triaxx2 » Wed, 24. Aug 16, 19:22

I prefer to use the disco myself and remote operate the trader when I start as a Humble Trader. The profits I can make by running space fuel far outweigh the money I'd make for selling the Disco. I don't trust the computer to fly a Disco to a pirate base, but I can. Even if red's turn up, I know enough to run if I can't win, or avoid them to dock anyway if I can manage that.

Plus it's much harder to steal an M4/M3 with a TS than it is with a Disco. (It can be done, even if it seems an insurmountable task.)

One note on second hand ships. AncientHighway is right, some of those selling are scammers, but that's because the game uses the bailing script which tends to leave nothing but a bare hull. However, if you buy a ship docked at a station, it's transferred to you as is. That can often net you a very good ship and equipment. You won't find better than an M6, but you'll only find M6 and TM for sale at stations. The former can often have excellent weapons, and the latter will often have a jump drive and quality marines on board.
A Pirate's Revenge Completed Now in PDF by _Zap_
APR Book 2: Best Served Cold Updated 8/5/2016

The Tale of Ea't s'Quid Completed

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

elbmek

Post by elbmek » Wed, 24. Aug 16, 20:24

wow, thanks to all of you, there is enough there to keep me busy for a few ..
Darkness is only the absence of light, Ignorance is only the absence of knowledge

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Thu, 25. Aug 16, 01:34

Dock at a pirate station to buy cargo life support; once you have this gaining money is easy, given the missions. See my sig for Wiki help
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

lostone1993
x3tc

Post by lostone1993 » Thu, 25. Aug 16, 03:53

the others have more experience then me but here my tips I only play TC though

when starting out I recommend following a path at least at first. Decide what about the game at the moment is of most interest to you, you can easily change later but the start of the game is very repetitive
i.e. trader, fighter etc

I personally with what I know now. would not have sold the disco as with only one upgrade you could make you a fair amount of credits and could take quite a few missions while remotely controlling you trader

big tip if you decide to remote trader, in the ship's command area there is a setting that says "message when done" enable it, makes it easier to keep track of stuff

if you are like me after your second manual trader your head will start spinning trying to keep up with stuff then it time to start automating some of it

for remote trading, best buys, best selling and trade command software 2 are your best friends

my general tip are
for any ship you will personally fly, install full engine and rudder upgrades(in fact try to do to every ship you own)(I also like to extend the cargo bay but that can be a double edged sword best not until you have a need) at least a duplex scanner preferably a triplex, trading system extension and the jump drive. With the jump drive this is especially true if you are a trader they make the game significantly easier

when you have loose cash select an number of sectors you hang around and drop a navigation satellite in each sector starting with sectors you are more likely to buy and sell from as a trader information is key

TP are great once upgraded a bit(engine,rudder,cargo and jump drive), you can take most types of trade/transport missions in them and can get your rep up really quickly combine this with missions and you can get 250 k credit missions up to 1 mill credit missions that can be completed in under 5 mins

always save, can not say this enough I do it every time I dock at least

always read mission brief carefully and take a minute to think, some missions your given are down right near impossible and can also be quite under payed I have been stung a few times when you do not have enough time to complete something

that all I can think of right now but I do have a thread in this forum there maybe more tips you can get from it
A slightly crazy and useless fighter pilot
Long live GOG and DRM free games

Honved
x3tc

Post by Honved » Thu, 25. Aug 16, 18:10

My memory apparently needs an update. As corrected, that's "Trading System Extensions", not "Remote Trade software" that I typed (at least I knew what I meant, it just wasn't what I wrote).

The price of a used ship depends heavily on the condition of the ship. At 90-100% hull condition, it often goes for more than you can buy a new one at a shipyard. As the condition slips down toward 50% (I've never seen one for sale with less than 50%), the cost drops drastically. At 51%, they're almost free. I've picked up a few M3 heavy fighters for around 100K credits, patched them up using the Spacesuit Repair Laser, and sold them for near or even over 1 Million. Check the list of ships in the sector any time you enter, and look for a ship with a yellow "cent" symbol. Stations with the same symbol either have a trade mission for you, or a ship for sale. A quick check of the station to see the ships there should provide the answer, if one of them is at less than 100% condition. As you've been warned, beware of scammers asking more than the value of a new ship.

Keeping tabs on up to two remote trade ships is relatively easy. Display them in your upper left and right camera views, so you can call them up with a single click to check progress or issue new orders. Their own camera view will appear any time they're in the same sector as you.

With a Mineral Scanner the Disco can do Asteroid Scanning. With Cargo Life Support, you can do taxi runs (beware of any mission that requests "transport", which requires a dedicated TP class ship). With a couple of guns and shields, you can do Defend Station missions. Best of all, you can explore other sectors while your freighters rake in credits.

Enjoy. You shouldn't run out of things to do for at least 200-500 hours, or a lot longer.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Thu, 25. Aug 16, 19:56

ajax34i wrote:- mine ore asteroids (shoot them up into the smallest pieces with a weapon, then fly your transport ship into them to collect them), then sell the ore.

- collect loot (go to a pirate or border sector where there may be an active fight between various NPC ships; any destroyed ships will leave behind crates of missiles which you can collect and then sell at an equipment dock).
The ship need Ore Collector to be able to pick up rocks.

The transportable wares have a size class (S, M, L, XL). The ship holds have size class too. A ship cannot scoop up nor hold cargo that that has larger class than the ship has. The ship just gets damage and the container/rock is destroyed.

If a container has many units of ware and ship does not have room for all, the surplus vanishes.

Pirate Bases are not the only place that sells Cargo Life Support. Same for the other stuff too. The in-game Encyclopedia lists the selling places that you have found.

I have never been humble nor merchant, but at every start I've invariably explored, fought and cashed from missions with a M5, like the Disco.

PAC -- particle accelerator cannon. Fast projectile, easy to hit with. Cheap and quite easy to get. Disco cannot use them, but many other ships can. A good gun.

The first start is the hardest. You don't know the mechanics, nor the playground, and you have very limited assets. Cherish the feeling pilot! Never again shall you have everything against you like now. :goner:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

elbmek

Post by elbmek » Thu, 25. Aug 16, 20:28

thanks again

Snafu_X3
x3tc

Post by Snafu_X3 » Sun, 28. Aug 16, 04:32

jlehtone wrote:Pirate Bases are not the only place that sells Cargo Life Support. Same for the other stuff too. The in-game Encyclopedia lists the selling places that you have found.
You misunderstand me (I should have phrased it better): Pirate bases will sell Fight 1+2 & CLS to you /no matter how bad your rep is/, for the appropriate cash, & they don't hike the price. At the start of the game you're unlikely to have high enough rep to buy those items from legit <race> docks, so a pirate base is your best bet unless you want to do some (slow & possibly dangerous) rep grinding first..

Fight2 is an essential component of autonomous turret control + MDM (IIRC), so it should be a priority along with CLS for cash & rep-making

If you're lucky you can find these things on abandoned ships (or cheap wrecks), but don't count on it..

BTW the cash ripoff gotcha for buying wrecks & doing them up for resale only really applies to ships in space: if you find one for sale at docked at a station going for a high price you're much more likely to find it stocked (after purchase) with valuable goodies, including well-trained marines!

NOTE: if transferring valuable marines (or other passengers) from ship to ship make sure that /both/ ships have life support /before/ you transfer them! The passenger(s) will not survive the trip otherwise, even if you transfer life support at the same time..
Wiki X:R 1st Tit capping
Wiki X3:TC vanilla: Guide to generic missions, Guide to finding & capping Aran
Never played AP; all X3 advice is based on vanilla+bonus pack TC or before: AP has not changed much WRT general advice.

I know how to spell teladiuminumiumium, I just don't know when to stop!

Dom (Wiki Moderator) 8-) DxDiag

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 28. Aug 16, 12:08

Snafu_X3 wrote:You misunderstand me (I should have phrased it better): Pirate bases will sell Fight 1+2 & CLS to you /no matter how bad your rep is/, for the appropriate cash, & they don't hike the price. At the start of the game you're unlikely to have high enough rep to buy those items from legit <race> docks, so a pirate base is your best bet unless you want to do some (slow & possibly dangerous) rep grinding first.
The reputation is a very good point. At start all places do not sell to you all wares. (In Xbtf and X2 you couldn't even dock at Paranid & Split stations before "showing good intentions", aka killing somebody :roll:).

The Teladi, however, always seem willing to accept credits[1], just like the Pirates. No wonder they are accused of sheltering alleged pirates.

[1] Faint memory from a X3R start a decade ago.

A more recent memory from X3TC: I had a platoon of 5-star fighters that I did transfer to oblivion ... :headbang:
Goner Pancake Protector X
Insanity included at no extra charge.
There is no Box. I am the sand.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”