Recommend a laptop for a Uni Student?

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Tue, 23. Aug 16, 12:47

mrbadger wrote: It's little things, like not having to find a spare plug socket because your machine has no risk of running out of power, that do it.
There are plenty of PC laptops these days that have huge battery life, so that doesn't seem like a good reason to go Apple to me. Build quality, maybe, although you're paying a pretty hefty premium for that--you could probably buy two low-end PC laptops for the price of one MacBook.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Tue, 23. Aug 16, 13:27

I know you can. If you want to save money you could get a chromebook.

I like them myself, that should be obvious, but Macbooks outnumber other laptops in our university. There is a reason for that.

University can cost up to £50,000, spending a grand on a decent laptop seems trivial in the face of that, given how critical the right choice is.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

The Q
Pancake Award Winner 2017

Post by The Q » Tue, 23. Aug 16, 21:47

I think you overstimate the decision process of many students, when it comes to buying technology. I know from a good fraction of students at my fomer university (technical university with some economy subjects), that their decision regarding buying a certain piece of technology was less complicated than what this topic here suggests. Often named reasons for a purchase included things like:
1. "I've got it as a present." (See this topic here. :D)
2. "I've got already another device from that same manufacturer" (An answer not as exclusive to Apple users as one may expect.)
3. "It was cheap." (Often as a consequence of a sale by a certain big retail store or dedicated website.)
4. "I don't know," (Don't ask me, how one cannot know.)
5. "It has these cool new features." (Advertised by the manufacturer, from which they won't use the majority.)
Morkonan, Emperor of the Unaffiliated Territories of the Principality of OFF-TOPIC, wrote:I have come to answer your questions! The answers are "Yes" and "Probably" as well as "No" and "Maybe", but I'm not sure in which order they should be given.
xkcd: Duty calls

soren08

Post by soren08 » Sun, 28. Aug 16, 13:22

budget?

soren08

Post by soren08 » Sun, 28. Aug 16, 13:24

ASUS F556UA-AS54
15.6 inch 1920 x 1080
2.3 GHz Core i5-6200
Intel HD Graphics 520
256 GB SSD/ 8GB DDR3 RAM
More

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 28. Aug 16, 22:06

The Q wrote:I think you overstimate the decision process of many students, when it comes to buying technology.
You are correct. It's my experience that younger students move on to Macs, or other better quality machines after starting with a basic one.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

jack775544
x4

Post by jack775544 » Mon, 29. Aug 16, 01:57

soren08 wrote:ASUS F556UA-AS54
15.6 inch 1920 x 1080
2.3 GHz Core i5-6200
Intel HD Graphics 520
256 GB SSD/ 8GB DDR3 RAM
More
That is actually a really good laptop for that price.
mrbadger wrote:You are correct. It's my experience that younger students move on to Macs, or other better quality machines after starting with a basic one.
100% what I did. Got sick of using the cheap laptop that I purchased at the start of uni after about a year and bought myself a high end Dell. No regrets on doing that at all.
1940s - Various "computers" are "programmed" using direct wiring and switches. Engineers do this in order to avoid the tabs vs spaces debate.

Return to “Off Topic English”