Final Fantasy XIV

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Final Fantasy XIV

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Sat, 17. Sep 16, 17:03

In the thread about Elder Scrolls Online, there were a few people talking about FFXIV so, since it's a game I put an ungodly amount of time into, I figured we could do with a thread about it.

I play on the European/Zodiark server and am the leader of a FC of 59 members, though most of those are inactive.
If anyone on here is thinking of giving the game a try, search for this character in-game. I've got 2 classes at level 60 so I can help with any dungeons or trials. There's a 'level-sync' function in the game which means higher leveled characters can enter lower level dungeons and help players who are still starting out.
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,
Steam: Sorata

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 17. Sep 16, 19:50

I also play on Zodiark, but I am not active right or I would give you a shout. Also I'm not in any FC as I normally just come and go and I get kicked from them for being inactive. Only got the one class at level 60, but a few others in mid 50's. I do spend quite some time doing crafting when I am active.

My main character
Florida Man Makes Announcement.
We live in a crazy world where winter heating has become a luxury item.

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sun, 18. Sep 16, 01:49

I recently got a char to level 50 and I've now subbed - first time playing.

I'm on the Phoenix server... wouldn't mind at all to have some peoples to play with but £12 for the transfer fee >.> Would need to know it's worth it - what's your guild like, you said mostly inactive? How many actives do you have/what do you do?

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Sun, 18. Sep 16, 02:29

Antilogic wrote:I recently got a char to level 50 and I've now subbed - first time playing.

I'm on the Phoenix server... wouldn't mind at all to have some peoples to play with but £12 for the transfer fee >.> Would need to know it's worth it - what's your guild like, you said mostly inactive? How many actives do you have/what do you do?
Not worth it - yet.
Out of 59... 57 are inactive. I've only just been made FC leader so I'm trying to revive it, but currently we can't do anything.
Got plenty of facilities though. Have a big house with I think just about every furnishing available and some airship control place which I have no idea about since I hardly do any crafting. Also, lots of company credits that I can spend to buy 'actions', which are 24hr long buffs for everyone in the FC who's online (usually XP bonuses).
Sometimes I stream stuff: https://www.twitch.tv/sorata77 (currently World of Tanks)
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Sun, 18. Sep 16, 20:57

Alright, well I'm just getting back in after spending a month or so bouncing around other games. FFXIV still the best of the lot, so :)

I may transfer over anyway sometime next week, I've been kicked from the random guild I joined so I don't have much to lose. I assume the server is active and I won't have issues queuing for group stuff?

Oh, this is me, since we are linking. Standard noob lvl 50: http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone ... /15022886/

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Mon, 19. Sep 16, 00:56

Actually the Duty Finder (the dungeon match-making system) is cross-server. That said, DPS always have the longest wait queues because more people play that than tank or healer. Play one of those two types of classes and it's usually instant, no matter what time of day.
But yeah, the server is active. If there are any A or S class hunts popping up then you usually find a big group of people at them. Especially in the expansion areas.

If you join my FC, and have a spare 500k gil, you can make your own personal quarters in the FC house. Haven't done that yet myself so can't tell you how much you can customise it but it's a little extra fun I guess.

Dragoon was the first class I put up to 50, then 60. Pretty fun class and good to teach rotations.

Here's the FC page: http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone ... 365722589/
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,

Golden_Gonads
x3tc

Post by Golden_Gonads » Mon, 19. Sep 16, 21:42

How's the story in the game? I've pondered playing it a few times, but gaming with other people often makes my teeth itch, either as I have no patience for other people, or get grumpy about having to rush alongside others.

That said, I'm far too cheap to pay a monthly fee beyond a couple of months. Always have been, always will be.

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Mon, 19. Sep 16, 21:52

Golden_Gonads wrote:How's the story in the game? I've pondered playing it a few times, but gaming with other people often makes my teeth itch, either as I have no patience for other people, or get grumpy about having to rush alongside others.
To be honest, cheesy and corny. Unless you're a big big fan of JRPG and used to its tropes, it can be very cringy ... most of the time. By Final Fantasy standard it would rate it on the low side. They brought in some new Writers for Heavenly Ward and now it has the extra flavor of "let's kill everyone!" because dark = good, right?

By MMO standard it's fairly decent due to the detail, not neccessary content. It's far better than the generic "go there and kill X amount of monster", for example. But I would rate it below the story in Guild War 2 or SWTOR. In another word, if your expectation is in-line with the average MMO, it'll be a pleasant suprise, if you come looking for a high-quality single player RPG story ... not so much.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Tue, 20. Sep 16, 18:54

Golden_Gonads wrote:How's the story in the game? I've pondered playing it a few times, but gaming with other people often makes my teeth itch, either as I have no patience for other people, or get grumpy about having to rush alongside others.

That said, I'm far too cheap to pay a monthly fee beyond a couple of months. Always have been, always will be.
The first arc is pretty much your standard 'Defend the realm from the powerful empire and other threats', the second arc and third (expansion, Heavensward) are quite good in my opinion. I really liked the plot in Heavensward and it tied in nicely with exploring the big new areas. They're continually adding more main quests in patches and are now on the 4th arc of the story.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Thu, 22. Sep 16, 22:37

Well I just finished the first story and yeah, pretty cheesy! :) But certainly passable for an MMO.

Also, transferred to your server Stars. I do hope it's good :) Will be dropping in an application to the FC shortly.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 02:02

Servers were down today for pre-patch maintenance and I just took a look at the patch notes and seen there are lots of new stuff: lv 60 dungeons, raids, trials, astrologian got a pretty big buff, the Triple Triad card game is having its own instanced area in the party finder, apartments, PvP balancing on a lot of classes, but one thing that really stood out was this:
http://eu.finalfantasyxiv.com/lodestone ... 1670165285
"Players can now take command of soldiers in their respective Grand Companies with adventurer squadrons.

After assembling a sufficient number of NPC recruits, players can deploy a squadron of soldiers on special missions, reaping rich rewards upon their successful return."

Similar to current retainer ventures it seems but done more as a minigame where the soldiers gain xp and the squad has a 'chemistry' system.

Not bad for a free patch! Big patches like these come every couple months and honestly I'm pretty blown away with how much they add in each.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,

Mightysword
x3tc

Post by Mightysword » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 04:27

Stars_InTheirEyes wrote: "Players can now take command of soldiers in their respective Grand Companies with adventurer squadrons.
Meaning we're being promoted to above Lt I hope.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Tue, 27. Sep 16, 13:29

Mightysword wrote:
Stars_InTheirEyes wrote: "Players can now take command of soldiers in their respective Grand Companies with adventurer squadrons.
Meaning we're being promoted to above Lt I hope.
Yep. You'll have to spend company seals to get the promotion, of course.
It will also increase the amount of seals you can hold, 50,000 increased to 80,000, iirc.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,

Antilogic
x3tc

Post by Antilogic » Mon, 3. Oct 16, 21:10

Annoyingly my internet is being screwy atm and it's 50/50 what system actually works with the amount of packet loss I'm getting. Haven't been able to dl the patch yet.

Hopefully fixed later this week...

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 3. Oct 16, 21:27

This is why the game is still popular.

FINAL FANTASY XIV Patch 3.4 - Soul Surrender

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Mon, 3. Oct 16, 22:09

I just read some news about the upcoming Fanfest and the possibility that we might have new classes/jobs revealed to be released with FFXIV 4.0. One video I saw, the guy speculated that we could see traditional FF classes like Red Mage, Blue Mage and Samurai. Others are hoping for Dancer and Beastmaster.
If any of those get in, I'd be really excited.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Fri, 28. Oct 16, 12:58

And the expansion has been announced; Stormblood
Set in Ala Mhigo, there will be new classes, one is pretty much confirmed to be Red Mage. There will also be a combat overhaul and inventory expansion.

Also, Antilogic, I've left that dead FC because it really was completely dead. Ive found a new one which has 10-20 people online at any time. They know a lot more than me and do end game content. They use Discord for voice and text chat too.
Next time you log on, send me a /tell and I'll get the you an invite.
If anyone else wants to join as well, send me a /tell.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,

felter
xr

Post by felter » Mon, 26. Dec 16, 01:32

So Stormblood, will launch on June 20, 2017, with a bad guy that goes by the name of Zenos. It will have a full standalone worth of gameplay. It will also feature new Primals, dungeons, and high-end raids plus a new fourth residential area.

Stars_InTheirEyes
x4

Post by Stars_InTheirEyes » Thu, 19. Jan 17, 00:53

Following from felter's post, Stormblood will introduce Red Mage as a class.
It will be a ranged DPS class but with a fair amount of melee and magic tied into it. The main weapons are a rapier sword and a floaty magic stone thing in the off-hand.
It would seem that the class will be accessible to anyone at level 50, unlike the Heavensward classes where you can only get them in those areas.
The class will also begin at level 50.

Also, the director who announced it at the Tokyo fanfest wore a spiderman T-shirt. The first two spiderman movies were directed by someone called Sam Raimi and people are speculating that Sam Raimi is a hint that Samurai will also be a class in Stormblood... bit of a stretch but it fits I guess. He's known for having hints on his shirts.
This sı not ǝpısdn down.
MyAnimeList,

felter
xr

Post by felter » Sat, 18. Feb 17, 22:12

So I was bored so I thought I would play a little bit of FF14. Right now I wish I hadn't.

First thing was, the game would not start and I had to re-download and install the thing, damn that installer is so slow. Next when I do get onto my account, everything about it is a mess, it looks like every bit of setup is kept on the client side, rather than server, so where everything was in my retainers, to how my UI was setup, to where all of the quick keys were on my hotbars, even all of the setup for all of my different occupations were gone. I'm still trying to get it all setup right and I started about 7 hours ago, (did stop for my dinner mind you), But I haven't even played the games yet as I have not even left the town and I'm not even ready to do that.

[sigh][/sigh]

Return to “Off Topic English”