New PC

Anything not relating to the X-Universe games (general tech talk, other games...) belongs here. Please read the rules before posting.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Observe
xr

New PC

Post by Observe » Wed, 26. Apr 17, 01:00

Usually, I build my own custom computers, but my old one is failing and I don't feel like researching and buying all the individual components this time. While looking around, I came across CybertronPC - a company that I'd not heard of, but with a bit of investigation, revealed they have a good reputation for quality, pricing and customer support.

The one I have chosen has the following:

- CybertronPC Palladium Gaming PC
- Intel Core i7 7th Gen 7700 (3.6 GHz)
- 16GB DDR4
- 1TB HDD
- 240 GB SSD
- NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
- Price - $1119 (US).

I priced the individual components, and it would have cost me more to purchase separately.

I may have selected a different Graphics card, and perhaps more SSD, but hopefully the combination will do well enough and cost has to stop somewhere right around $1100.

These days, I don't keep up on current computer hardware much. Do you guys think this is a reasonable system? Do you see any major weak points?

Thanks.

[EDIT] Just for the record, I have a long-time allegiance to Intel CPU's and NVIDIA graphics, so AMD vs Intel is not a consideration. :)

thrangar
x4

Post by thrangar » Wed, 26. Apr 17, 01:28

If you want to be future proof, on the vid card,if I recall you need a 1070 for VR

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 26. Apr 17, 05:40

thrangar wrote:If you want to be future proof, on the vid card,if I recall you need a 1070 for VR
Thanks thrangar. I haven't been thinking about VR, but I suppose I may in future.

Article: "With GTX 1060 you can run practically everything with Oculus Rift and HTC Vive, and you won’t feel a single frame drop. You can even run all the latest tripe-A titles on MAX settings."

Also, this article on The Most Affordable Vitual Reality Gaming Build For 2017 points to the 1060 as a good choice.

For now, it seems the 1060 is OK for current VR headsets, but as you say, might not be down the road.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 26. Apr 17, 07:06

They might cheap out on the mainboard and power supply in the build? I would build my own.

-mainboard might only have 2 memory slots total?
-does it come with windows 10
-is the ssd out dated/reliable?
-video card brand?

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 26. Apr 17, 07:41

So for $1300 usd (-25 in rebates which might not work out+ free game):
i7-7770k (upgrade from i7-7770 but need to buy a cpu cooler since the k version doesn't come with a fan)
cpu cooler - might need thermal paste ? + $9
dvd
evga 1060 ssc 6G gtx (upgrade from regular 1060) -10 dollar mail in rebate which might not work
msi gaming mainboard (more ram slots)
1 tb 7200 rpm western digital blue hard drive
samsung evo 850 250G ssd
16 g ram
750 watt power supply (upgraded from 500 watt)
win 10 home 64 bit oem
coolmaster haf 912 case (can probably get a different case) -15 dollar mail in rebate which might not work

I won't bother linking the tower. Not even sure if all the parts fit since it was just a slap together deal. Need to add a cpu cooler + thermal paste ? + dvd player

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... gnorebbr=1

combo mainboard + cpu
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDea ... bo.3466726

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... 6817182133

1217 + case (1190 with rebates + no free game) - need to research parts and suppliers more - also need to watch who you get your win 10 cd from since some serial numbers get sold before shipping so you end up getting a used copy which is no good
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/
Last edited by burger1 on Wed, 26. Apr 17, 20:00, edited 2 times in total.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Wed, 26. Apr 17, 08:35

Loose the GTX 1060 and wait (5-6weeks) for AMD Vega imho, there is no way a 1060 can run everything on ultra settings unless you are on some Minecraft screen resolution.

Best value GPU currently is a 2nd hand 980Ti with lots appearing for sale as owners trade up to the 1080Ti. An overclocked 980Ti is thought by many to be faster than a 1070 whilst considerably cheaper 2nd hand.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 26. Apr 17, 19:07

burger1 wrote:They might cheap out on the mainboard and power supply in the build? I would build my own.

-mainboard might only have 2 memory slots total?
-does it come with windows 10
-is the ssd out dated/reliable?
-video card brand?
Motherboard is: ASRock 1151 CV x16 2D4 M32 GL MATX and it comes with two 8GB Crucial 2133MHz DDR4 Memory. You are right about having only 2 memory slots, but if needed, I can upgrade to 2 x 16k memory for 32K total. Should be enough for my purposes I think.

Operating System is: Windows 10 Home

Video card brand: "Major Brand" NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB. Don't know which major brand.

SSD: 240GB Crucial BX200 Solid State Drive. Normal price is around $129

Still looks pretty good for an $1100 pre-build system as far as I can see.

Thanks.

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Wed, 26. Apr 17, 19:17

BigBANGtheory wrote:Loose the GTX 1060 and wait (5-6weeks) for AMD Vega imho, there is no way a 1060 can run everything on ultra settings unless you are on some Minecraft screen resolution.
As mentioned, I avoid AMD products altogether.
Best value GPU currently is a 2nd hand 980Ti with lots appearing for sale as owners trade up to the 1080Ti. An overclocked 980Ti is thought by many to be faster than a 1070 whilst considerably cheaper 2nd hand.
I expect you are right about the 980Ti being a really good buy at this time.

Thanks.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Wed, 26. Apr 17, 19:49

The samsung 850 evo is much faster than the crucial bx200 ssd. It's also cheaper.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Sa ... 2977vs3626

The mainboard you mentioned can range from $52 to $175 depending on which one you are getting. That's based on it being socket 1151 , 2 ddr4 ram slots, Asrock brand. If it's a micro atx board then the price range goes from $52-$92. The mainboard I used in my pricing was about $154. With windows 10 the mainboard and the operating system are tied together. If one goes they both go.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductL ... 0600567553

Micro atx mainboards
https://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductL ... 0600009017

No idea about the 1060 brand. But it can be much cheaper than the evga one I listed. It kind of screws up the build. The 1070 is faster of course.

Are you going to reuse your old pc? Maybe you can use parts from it? I think win 8 or 7 is transferable. If so maybe microsoft will let you upgrade to win 10 free still? Is the new i7-7770 cpu able to fit into your current system?

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/microsoft-w ... -features/

The 1 tb hdd might also not be that useful and you may have to upgrade to a larger drive. Not sure on the cost of that vs just buying a larger drive without getting the 1 tb. Western digital blues are pretty good. Also there's a chance it could be a 5400 rpm drive instead of a 7200 rpm. Some older hard drives are also much slower. Hd tuner can show this.

http://www.hdtune.com/

Anyways I haven't researched the parts I listed as I have said before so you will still need to research stuff if you build your own pc. Shipping might also be expensive. The steam hardware forums are usually a good place to get ideas. - I listed ddr3 memory instead of ddr4 in my parts list so I deleted it but the costs are about the same.

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/11/

My guess is that the seller will stuff a bunch of cheap stuff into the computer to turn a better profit.

This might be their case. It's not a bad looking case.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product. ... -_-Product

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Wed, 26. Apr 17, 20:53

When I was putting together the components for my PC purchase I actually found out (from my more hardware knowledgeable collegues) that for most purposes, DDR3 is not noticably different from DDR4. In fact in many cases the extra power drain often isn't worth the speedup.

There may be speed purists who will shoot me down on this, but I don't care about obscure benchmark results or comparisons in games I will likely never play, I saw some nice simple graphs of performance vs power usage, that was enough for me.

Most motherboard vendors stopped supporting DDR3 a while back, so any new motherboard that supports DDR3 is actually a rather old, possibly a very old or secondhand one. Bearing in mind that old in computer years may not be that old in real terms, but it most certainly does mean obsolete.

This irritated me, since it meant I had to go DDR4 when I didn't want to in order for my motherboard to support the rest of the components I wanted.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Fri, 28. Apr 17, 18:49

BigBANGtheory wrote:Loose the GTX 1060 and wait (5-6weeks) for AMD Vega imho, there is no way a 1060 can run everything on ultra settings unless you are on some Minecraft screen resolution.

I agree there may be good second-hand deals on GTX 980, but I am hesitant to purchase used hardware. Most reviews I've read, as well as information from Nvidia, show the 1060 having superior performance to the 980 in general. Also, I'm not intending to overclock anything, because I prefer longevity over reduced lifespan for the sake of performance. Regarding AMD, I stay away from them and always stick with Intel and Nvidea.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide food-for-thought. Thank you.

pjknibbs
x4

Post by pjknibbs » Sat, 29. Apr 17, 07:49

Observe wrote:Regarding AMD, I stay away from them and always stick with Intel and Nvidea.
Out of interest, why? There have been times when AMD have produced better CPUs than Intel (for instance, in the early P4 era), and the x64 instruction set used for all modern PC CPUs was actually developed by AMD--Intel chose to go down the incompatible Itanium route for their 64-bit chips, but nobody bought them so they were forced to licence the AMD tech instead.

BigBANGtheory
x4

Post by BigBANGtheory » Sat, 29. Apr 17, 10:33

Observe wrote: I agree there may be good second-hand deals on GTX 980, but I am hesitant to purchase used hardware. Most reviews I've read, as well as information from Nvidia, show the 1060 having superior performance to the 980 in general. Also, I'm not intending to overclock anything, because I prefer longevity over reduced lifespan for the sake of performance. Regarding AMD, I stay away from them and always stick with Intel and Nvidea.

I appreciate you taking the time to provide food-for-thought. Thank you.
980Ti not the 980

An overclocked 980Ti is comparable to an overclocked 1070 which is almost the speed of a stock GTX 1080. I paid £220 for one recently which is what a new 1060 OC costs. If you are trying to hit a budget then you can't beat that currently. Loose the 1060 imho...

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sat, 29. Apr 17, 16:42

pjknibbs wrote:
Observe wrote:Regarding AMD, I stay away from them and always stick with Intel and Nvidea.
Out of interest, why? There have been times when AMD have produced better CPUs than Intel (for instance, in the early P4 era), and the x64 instruction set used for all modern PC CPUs was actually developed by AMD--Intel chose to go down the incompatible Itanium route for their 64-bit chips, but nobody bought them so they were forced to licence the AMD tech instead.
Short answer: I am close to 70 years of age and perhaps it's true that an old dog can't learn new tricks. Longer answer: I worked as an engineer at Intel for a number of years during the advent of AMD back in the early 90's and for reasons logical or illogical, I have developed a personal preference. :)
BigBANGtheory wrote:An overclocked 980Ti is comparable to an overclocked 1070 which is almost the speed of a stock GTX 1080. I paid £220 for one recently which is what a new 1060 OC costs. If you are trying to hit a budget then you can't beat that currently. Loose the 1060 imho...
I agree. Thanks.

[EDIT]This video shows comparisons between various Nvidia GPU's. Frankly, I can barely discern the differences, but the readouts certainly show the performance advantage of 980Ti vs 1060.

eladan
x4

Re: New PC

Post by eladan » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 10:34

Observe wrote:- CybertronPC Palladium Gaming PC
That's... an unfortunate name for a PC line.

mrbadger
x3tc

Post by mrbadger » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 14:45

Observe wrote:
[EDIT]This video shows comparisons between various Nvidia GPU's. Frankly, I can barely discern the differences, but the readouts certainly show the performance advantage of 980Ti vs 1060.
That's very interesting. For me the takeaway is there is, except for the hardcore gamer, bugger all diffference between them. A far cry from those long gone Voodoo days /sigh.....

I bought a 1080 myself, but for three very specific reasons, none of which were comparative performance/frame rate based.

1: I needed to support three monitors easily.

2: I needed to future proof my rig because I won't be updating it again for many years.

3: I could afford it.

Without the above criteria I would most likely have gone for something a heck of a lot cheaper.
If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. ... Niccolò Machiavelli

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 18:06

Based on excellent feedback in this thread and having researched current hardware a little deeper, it seems my indicated CybertronPC with Intel i7 and GTX 1060 might not be the best configuration.

However, since I decided to forgo building this time around, and the financing works for me, I think I'll take the risk on a CybertronPC prebuilt. The company gets good reviews, so hopefully I won't regret.

Granted, there may be little point in an i7 processor over an i5, but I'm going ahead with it anyway. I won't be overclocking, so I don't need the K version.

I suspect I'll end up kicking myself over the GTX 1060 but it will have to do for now. I'm only running in 1920x1080 resolution and I don't anticipate needing a new monitor any time soon. If I can achieve 60fps in the few games I play, I'll be happy on that front.

Certainly, this PC should be a vast improvement over my slow, failing 10-year old system. Alas, there is always more and better and there usually has to be a monetary line drawn somewhere. :)

Observe
xr

Post by Observe » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 19:23

This is the one at Walmart (of all places). It looks the same as the one you listed on Amazon. The one on Newegg has only 3GB on the video card as you pointed out.

There seems to be almost unlimited variations of the CybertronPC Palladium series. In retrospect, I would have selected with the i5 and GTX 1070, but oh well.

Thanks.

burger1
x3tc

Post by burger1 » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 19:43

Observe wrote:This is the one at Walmart (of all places). It looks the same as the one you listed on Amazon. The one on Newegg has only 3GB on the video card as you pointed out.

There seems to be almost unlimited variations of the CybertronPC Palladium series. In retrospect, I would have selected with the i5 and GTX 1070, but oh well.

Thanks.
I might have linked the wrong pc since I don't know exactly which one you bought. I would look up your order to be more certain. Also it might end up being a 6gb card anyways since that's what other sites seem to be.

jlehtone
x4

Post by jlehtone » Sun, 30. Apr 17, 22:00

Observe wrote:I won't be overclocking, so I don't need the K version.
I did follow that mantra with Sandy Bridge and got i7-2600. Ok, the 2600 had VT-d, the 2600K did not and I did wan't to play with VT-d. Less advertized fact, learned the hard way: chipset P67 had no support for VT-d. No way to use IGP either, but that was not a problem for my use ...

Never even considered the overclocking, so that part held true.

Return to “Off Topic English”