Eh!....Oddi turrets so crap...Time for first script

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Eh!....Oddi turrets so crap...Time for first script

Post by Free Trade Inn » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 21:09

I have never before needed to use scripts, and being a bit of a long time player I have only been interested in the results of others but....
I just bought my first M2 ( Nid Oddi ) and I was aware that you could not fire its main forward guns like a fighter. The thing is the turrets are crap!!! Now mean realy crap :evil: Got it kitted out with good gear, full shields, took it into :xenon: 347 with my Osprey ( allso fully kitted ) and got my ass trampled medi-evil style!
Now as you wipe the tears of myrth from your eyes, I might add that I can take the Osprey in alone and clear the sector.
So here is my problem, is there any scripts to improve my turrets/main guns?

khanis
x2

Post by khanis » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 21:13

Could you specify the problem? Turrets in bad places for you? Guns not hitting targets?

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 21:23

Sorry, yes there just lazy!
I have used both attack my target, protect ship and attack enemys.
The thing is they only fire if they can be bothered :headbang:

simonnance
x3tc

Post by simonnance » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 21:25

attack all enemys wil mean they fire if there is something in range. if in doubt, press i on the commands to se the full description.
want the FACTS about X2/X3?
Usenko wrote:Don't get me wrong, I think animals have their place in the scheme of things. It's just that in the case of sheep, cattle and pigs, their place happens to be in neat pieces under the griller.:-)

Holliday
x3

Post by Holliday » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 21:36

No, I think he is right. The front turret fires when it wants to, and it doesn't always want to. No matter what the range. I noticed this in 1.3 and didn't bother to complain.
Ne frustra vixisse videar

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 22:05

Holliday wrote:No, I think he is right. The front turret fires when it wants to, and it doesn't always want to. No matter what the range. I noticed this in 1.3 and didn't bother to complain.
The key to fighting in an Ody is Power Management. THe reason your front turret does not fire is because your rear turret (or elsewhere) is using up all the power generated by your ship. You cannot just place G-PSGs everywhere, and set all turrets to Attack All Enemies and expect the front turret to fire when you want it to.

In my set up, I mixed G-PSG and G-PPC, and concentrate my fire on the front, left and bottom turrets. I use smaller lasers elsewhere to prevent the non concentrated sides from using up the ship power. Works as a charm with several hours logged in the Khaak sectors, even in v1.4.

[EDIT]
The front turret is actually below the bridge, so you have to place the target below the center of the HUD for it to fire. That's why I chose the bottom turret over the top turret as my active turret.
Last edited by VincentTH on Tue, 20. Jul 04, 22:09, edited 2 times in total.

StarDragon99
x3

Post by StarDragon99 » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 22:06

I find that occasionaly with my oddys i have to adjust my angle on the target to get the front turret to actualy fire
X2:
Pan-Galactic Tycoon
Supreme Veteran

X3R:
Warlord
Capitalist

Holliday
x3

Post by Holliday » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 22:12

VincentTH wrote:
The key to fighting in an Ody is Power Management...snip
Yeah, that would make perfect sense if I was backing into my target. Coming at a target head on the front turret fires when it feels up to the task. No matter what the other turrets are doing.
Ne frustra vixisse videar

VincentTH
x4

Post by VincentTH » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 22:13

Holliday wrote:
VincentTH wrote:
The key to fighting in an Ody is Power Management...snip
Yeah, that would make perfect sense if I was backing into my target. Coming at a target head on the front turret fires when it feels up to the task. No matter what the other turrets are doing.
Read the EDIT section in my post.

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 22:32

You guys are giving me food for thought here cheers. The thing is im using 3g ppc main, top and bottom are 3b ppc each, left and right are 2g ppc and 1g hept each and rear is 2g hept 1a hept. Like I say I can clear the sector with my Osprey, taking the oddi in was for sea (space) trials. But if it cant hold its own in :xenon: 347 then it's got no chance in :khaak: M2 sectors :evil: Waste of money if I cant take :khaak: caps out :headbang: HELP!

Azzkicka
x3tc

Post by Azzkicka » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 22:39

Free Trade Inn wrote:You guys are giving me food for thought here cheers. The thing is im using 3g ppc main, top and bottom are 3b ppc each, left and right are 2g ppc and 1g hept each and rear is 2g hept 1a hept. Like I say I can clear the sector with my Osprey, taking the oddi in was for sea (space) trials. But if it cant hold its own in :xenon: 347 then it's got no chance in :khaak: M2 sectors :evil: Waste of money if I cant take :khaak: caps out :headbang: HELP!
LOL you think about should be able to clear the Xenon sector with that? No offense but you must love unbalanced games or are insane.

Also the reason you can clear the sector in your Osprey is because:

A) With the strafe drive you can avoid any and all incoming fire

B) PSGs are unbelievably unbalanced, but of course with the strafe drive you don’t even have to use them.

Besides you CAN clear any Xenon sector with a M2 and only PPCs. All you need to do is get each capital ship in a 1v1 battle.

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 23:04

OK so I use Gpsg's on my Osprey occasionaly, but I dont use straife with any ship. I personaly think for the money I can buy an Osprey for about 12mill and a Oddi for 70. If I can just clear a hostile sector with my M6 admitedly 1vs 1. Then for the money my M2 sould be more survivable in M2 crossfire.
Its not that I like unbalanced games (ok a little insane-fangs out combat) but the player M2's should have a larger power generator or more shields, or come down in price.
There is nothing it can do that I cant do better in my Osprey! Apart from size/cargo/ships in hold!
Forgive me if I havent given it enough time yet and I am being harsh but this is suposed to be the M2 with the biggest punch!
I'll never buy another M2 or M1 they are over priced for what they are and.......
........AND......
.......I'm calling "Shananigins" on all shipyards :rant: !!!!!!!!!!

Azzkicka
x3tc

Post by Azzkicka » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 23:14

Free Trade Inn wrote:OK so I use Gpsg's on my Osprey occasionaly, but I dont use straife with any ship. I personaly think for the money I can buy an Osprey for about 12mill and a Oddi for 70. If I can just clear a hostile sector with my M6 admitedly 1vs 1. Then for the money my M2 sould be more survivable in M2 crossfire.
Its not that I like unbalanced games (ok a little insane-fangs out combat) but the player M2's should have a larger power generator or more shields, or come down in price.
There is nothing it can do that I cant do better in my Osprey! Apart from size/cargo/ships in hold!
Forgive me if I havent given it enough time yet and I am being harsh but this is suposed to be the M2 with the biggest punch!
I'll never buy another M2 or M1 they are over priced for what they are and.......
........AND......
.......I'm calling "Shananigins" on all shipyards :rant: !!!!!!!!!!
Your right in the fact that if an osprey can clear a Xenon sector the oddy defiantly should too. That being said an osprey shouldn't be able to clear a xenon sector in the first place lol

Also remember that your M2 with the biggest punch is going up against OTHER m2s.... and the fact that an osprey or other m6s can clear an entire xenon sector is a huge balance issue in my mind.

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 23:36

Well then looks like I'm saving for a fleet of Ospreys and keeping the M2 as eye candy. Until now I could never figure out why people rated ships in visual terms. I for one love the lobster-like shape of the hydra, but never bought one because they are poo. I always wondered why some would pick a Split capital ship over a paranid one ( I admit I get a tingle when I see a Split M1/2 ) , well you could have told me they were all pants compared to the Osprey! I got a Centaur in every sector I have heavily populated so it's not even any use as Oos (probably to slow anyway).
SHANANIGANS!!!!!!!!!

Azzkicka
x3tc

Post by Azzkicka » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 23:46

A fleet of ospreys compared to a fleet of m2s controlled by the AI and the M2s will dominate. The Osprey is just a lower class of ship and m2s have more firepower.

The only reason you can clear a xenon sector and an osprey is because of PSGs and strafe… and the slow laser speeds probably help too.

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Tue, 20. Jul 04, 23:59

So what your saying is if I want to clear a sector, then it's solo Osprey. Ive managed never having to use straife in a :xenon: sector , but am having trouble with :khaak: M2's in their
Spoiler
Show
home sectors
Spoiler
Show
even with Gpsg's on a solo Osprey. I am at an empass because when I take a fleet in they get knacked ( I now loathe the idea of a fleet of M2's ). :gruebel:

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Wed, 21. Jul 04, 00:38

Anyway is there a script for improving power generation in player M1/2 ships :?: I'd still rather script than use straife.

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Wed, 21. Jul 04, 00:49

What tactics are you useing? an ODDY should hold supreme power in 347.

I held supreme power in my Ray in 347 and the Ray hasnt got nearly the firepower of the Oddy.

Free Trade Inn
x3tc

Post by Free Trade Inn » Wed, 21. Jul 04, 01:18

Ah so there is hope! I couldn't believe It could be such a waste of money!
Tactics, yes.
1 The Elmer Fud manuver, where you go in on your own and lurk/run for as long as posible then attack. This normaly turns into the brave sir robin manuver and/or death.
2 Pot and snooker, where I go in with both my Osprey and Oddi, the plan is here to kick enough J/K's in the nuts while the other ship takes some of the fire, backs me up with fire cover so I can make the kill. I always lose the Oddi.
3 The presure cooker, same as above but concentrate on one M1/2 at a time. In this cenario I always lose the ship suporting me.
I can do it in my Osprey by itself.....Clear the sector without straife :gruebel:

Tsar_of_Cows
x4

Post by Tsar_of_Cows » Wed, 21. Jul 04, 01:32

Right, you dont needthe Osprey.

What I would do with an Oddy is as follows:

1: look for a lone K/J, if there is one, skip to step 3
2: If there are only groups of them: Swap into an M3, fly towards a group of Ks/Js, shoot one, and zoom back to your Oddy.
3: now, as the lone K/J approaches, switch all turrets to "attack enemies" snd go into 3rd person view.
4: charge at it, not had on though, aim above and to the left or right of it, unleashing 3 tturrets atonce.
5: if it is still alive after the first pass, turn your ship around quickly and observe the K/J's manuverses, the battle is now all about maximiseing the turrets on your ship that can fire and minimiseing the ones one the oponent who can hit you. so, try to stay at right angels to the enemie, as if, right infront or behind it, directly left/right/down or up. And make sure the enemy doesnt have right angels to you. this way, your ship can allways fire atleast 2 turrets and it can only fire one.
6: rinse and repeat, untill you get the hang of it, then try multiple targets.

Golden Rule:
Stay at right angeles to your oponent, so they can only fire one turret, and make sure your ship in in an angle that it can fire atleast 2 back.

If in doubt, dont engauge, if you get too many hostiles at one, run for it.

The Oddy is a good ship, Id fly one but i cant stand how it looks, so I went with the Titan.

The general tactics for all of the M2s are about the same, however, the Python, due to it's lack of forward guns, (should never be bought except to look at! ) should engauge from the side.

Im going to add this to the end of my Capital ship guide now!

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”