X online universe maybe cancelled?

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

AstroMagellan

X online universe maybe cancelled?

Post by AstroMagellan » Sat, 25. Dec 04, 22:13

I have noticed that the X online universe website appears to be unmodified since 2000. Does this means that the game has been canceled? I mean so much time and no more news?

Your thoughts...
Last edited by AstroMagellan on Sat, 25. Dec 04, 22:48, edited 1 time in total.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 25. Dec 04, 22:24

The Online Universe site is exactly where it has always been. As is the game itself: at some as-yet undefined point in the future. ;)

Graaf
x3tc

Post by Graaf » Sat, 25. Dec 04, 22:26

Are you sure CBJ?
‹¤TmoÓ0þ\$þƒñ‰Ôéë^H‚ØÚu•ÆV±Ä§É±￾Ä›‡Ä}Ù¿çâ¦É4©Îû©ÏÏÝ=wWï￾ã ’®GQ¡S´*”ÿÑuûýO‰1ù!23¢È„é '¥R!Ç Þ¾©>/”°i”>ríÂȈ­xiFJfO5¬n׶Öï˜òàC–ù￾äÖ) •@¡.¸bxÄ„R9å\fqƒËœ²=ÞHn÷\÷=F‰￾q6„<Sؽ:ñöˆéŠ4óq#ªd '&*…*šŽ}¯ÃGÁ bŠ–¥äp¯`;›ô￾/&çã©óm:ž8½‹œÓñù‰3G£Áhhu©)˜æ"¤¥ðq]ÊŒ\‹nJ”HpI»L§$IŸ0–¤ÜXÔp´E)uæ?»Õ‡Ñ|âãÛûùÍòÇ-F¿æ“åÕ>·«é|vµ¬Ð^ˆ]9-hŠ2šB ©^KE¡jhž™Bºàï￾ýŸcž› ÈwȶdTµÜb ‰FÒ´¶Š7æ×ËC†uÃ5–G®]¶Fïævúý|: PÇB™Æ/û¨,˜￾õê!Z)uâºÝÇ<nšpÛ÷¸&$-#|°Ú¨D ¾ã”­r¨Ö¨U2¼Ìí2µ)¢ÊEçõ5uݶŒƒ€åïÅÔÇ4Ï•dÔ@#￾­S&š=m`ÊÛ&Ør.®ïgó›»Å·Ù´é´ÍfóºÍš·„ëM¦4åDf\l»,–_½‡E¡ùÃϺçîöÆ—•Ÿv(Èn*WÀ‡‡n´ïÄ]U_O™EI!"Ow￾$&…‹HgE”￾￾`¼*žÑL›D2LÄÊ”,ñHex„¶HØðÿ‹cø￾qL³XÉòe­ÿVت?·àïUG"Ú›

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 25. Dec 04, 22:28

Check your browser settings. It works fine for me.

AstroMagellan

Post by AstroMagellan » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 11:59

"at some as-yet undefined point in the future"

hmm...i wonder, because i think the last time that the devs talked specificly about XOL was in may 2003. In the last interview (august 2004) they didnt mention XOL (contray to the interviews in the last years)

I say this because i have followed elite4 before and im starting to know better when a product is becoming vaporware. And i would hate to see another potencial good space sim go down the tubes again

Nyax
x3tc

Post by Nyax » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 12:35

Although there is no evidence one way or the other at this point, I would consider it's cancellation Good news. It frees the Guys at Egosoft up to create X3!

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 12:49

AstroMagellan wrote:"at some as-yet undefined point in the future"

hmm...i wonder, because i think the last time that the devs talked specificly about XOL was in may 2003. In the last interview (august 2004) they didnt mention XOL (contray to the interviews in the last years)

I say this because i have followed elite4 before and im starting to know better when a product is becoming vaporware. And i would hate to see another potencial good space sim go down the tubes again
It wasn't mentioned because I didn't ask the question :P

It would be tough to cancel something that isn't really started :P

I love the way that so much speculation can come from a completely unsubstantiated statement, but I guess people will believe what they want to believe.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 12:55

Personaly I don't believe it's coming at all, just egnore it guys, see what happens and if we hear anything then that's ok. but don't be to surprised if we don't.
some who deserve life receive death. Others who deserve death receive life. Can you give it to them? Don't be eager to deal out death in judgement, for not even the wise can see all ends.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 13:12

It'll come eventually, because it's what Egosoft have always been aiming for. The single player games are steps on the way.

Frankly, I'm glad there are single player titles. I'll give X:OU a chance to prove me wrong, but generally I dislike persistent online games.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

fchopin
x3

Post by fchopin » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 13:53

Online games are the future so I think egosoft will eventually travel that route.

I am not very experienced with online games, but there are a few online space games and a few more in production…egosoft will have to act quickly before some other company gets there first.
When there are no more games it is time for music.

Gandalf The White
x3

Post by Gandalf The White » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 14:21

Perhaps, but I really cannot see how we are going to have an online game with the same depth of the stand alone games, big enough to acomidate thousands of players and their expanding empires? I'm not talking about on an individual basis but what sort of machine would you need to run lets say a universe with 500+ sectors and 1000 player owned empires??? With each empire there's going to be factories and ships, work it out. 1000 players, each player ownes 10 factories, each factory requires anything from 1 to 3 ships, and that's with out sector pertrols and factory defenses and econamy control. It's out sector pertrols. I'd like to know what type of machine could run that, plus when people are playing
some who deserve life receive death. Others who deserve death receive life. Can you give it to them? Don't be eager to deal out death in judgement, for not even the wise can see all ends.

Brianetta
x4

Post by Brianetta » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 14:26

All the OOS stuff would run on Egosoft's servers, not your PC. Your PC isn't trusted.
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

johneh77
xr

Post by johneh77 » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 14:56

Admitadly I dont know much about programing and video game mechanics but I do know that most calculations for online games are done on the main computer not peoples home computers.
I agree to allow the kind of freedom in X2 in an online game would take a huge universe. I wouldnt be surprised if 10,000 people played it so 20,000 sectors would hardly be enough(unless they were much bigger than the current ones). I'm sure that can be done the problem wouldnt be with getting a big enough computer to handle it but with creating that many different sectors. It would be a huge undertakeing but I suppose it wouldnt have to all be done at once it could be added to all the time.
I havent played it myself but have heard that one MMOG has 5,000+ systems and is adding more all the time so I'm sure its possible it just wouldnt be easy.
It dosent realy mater to me I couldnt afford a monthly fee and dont have good enough internet access to play online games anyway.

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 15:00

Ugh. X-Online. No thanks. X3 Yes please with eggs on top and plenty of chutney.

Bernd
Site Admin
Site Admin
x4

Post by Bernd » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 15:35

Hi everybody,

I can assure you that Online-Universe as a concept is still our long term goal. It is a pitty that we did not yet find financial resources to fund this game straight away, so we will have to stick with our "Plan B" and finance the development of Online-Universe through the X series.

You will notice that every game of the X series is a step towards OU. Some steps are smaller some bigger. X² - The Return also introduces some concepts which are part of the "big picture" that OU will be. The best example is probably the connectability of factories but there are others (just stay tuned ;)

The next step after X² - The Return will definitely bring us a whole lot closer to OU, because it will be another "almost from scratch" development and it is not very surprising that the working title for it is currently "X3" ;)

The fact that the OU website was not updated in a long time is indeed because we have not much new to say about it "PR" wise. It just doesn't make sense to talk about it at the moment. But internally there is always a lot of thinking going into this project.

Have a good new year everybody!

-Bernd

Small_CPU
x2

Post by Small_CPU » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 15:39

Bernd wrote:The next step after X² - The Return will definitely bring us a whole lot closer to OU, because it will be another "almost from scratch" development and it is not very surprising that the working title for it is currently "X3" ;)
Yeehaaa. :D

Sounds good.

When does it come out? 4Q. 2005? Just kidding...

X³.... *zchhhhhh....* some circuits have fried....

Btw. I don't want to sound ungrateful... but I like plan B much more than plan A. ;)

Zum Grusse

~me

I don't take myself serious.

If you take me and my posts serious, well, that's your problem.

Greyhawk1
x3tc

Post by Greyhawk1 » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 16:27

Now, given the immense strides made between X-Tension and X2, this 'X3' should be a very very interesting game to follow the development of.

I'm totally uninterested in X:OU but hey, whatever sells eh?

Some Strange Man
x3

Post by Some Strange Man » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 17:16

X:OU?

Heres things I generally dislike about any online games:

1. Lag. Its a REAL pain in the ass. You guys are talking about massive numbers of players, well, 150 is a realistic MAXIMUM.

So all you particularly need is 150 sectors, maybe double that.

2. The fact that players get so used to playing the game after months of playing that it is hard to get back into, or even into for the first time. I definetely do not want to be tied into a game that is already a little slow in single player mode.

3. Too many arseholes. Played Joint Operations? No? Well picture this...

75 a side. People with, APCs, Vehicle mounted machineguns and grenade launchers, rocket launchers, and lots of well hidden snipers (that if you aren't colourblind, are difficult to spot, never mind if you are). So if you make it by them, and get to the place you've to try to take, you THEN get hit by mortars, launched by people well behind a/the treeline. Too many spawnrapers, heres your base, now respawn, and get in a chopper. So you get in the chopper... and dead, some sniper got you.

This is of course ignoring the choppers that can take two direct missile hits and still fly. [/Rant]

4. Something like X:OU is most likely going to have a subscription. I don't like that idea at all.

Aaaaaand finally,

5. I like the ability to script stuff in X2, so if I had the choice between X2, and X:OU, I'd go with X2.

jester688

Post by jester688 » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 17:26

The closest thing to X Online right now... is EVE by CCP....

Stations in EVE are completely screwed up and don't work right now....but will be fixed soon....Plus they cost a ton to keep them running....

If EgoSoft and CCP talked ....and them combined their efforts it would be a perfect game.... Some many things I really love about both....

But, that wouldn't happen....

Financially... it will be tough call for those who have time time in EVE already too justify another Space Based MMO.....and especially a NEW one, which any online gamer knows comes with all the bugs....

BUT... I would have to try it...Attacking other players station would be the only problem I would see in X Online... Some major balancing acts...

Oh...BTW ... 150 Sectors.... :lol: Eve has 5000 Systems Plus...and is getting ready to drop another 1500 hundred in.... So.... X MMO would need at least that.....

gatsby
x2

Post by gatsby » Thu, 30. Dec 04, 17:45

My wishes for what seems to be a push for every game conceivable to convert to an MMOG parallels my feelings for reality TV-- I hope they reach thier peak soon and then fizzle back down into a much smaller niche.

I've been very pleased with X2TR and enjoy the single-player aspect, then coming here to swap info, war stories, etc.

Just my two credits, of course, but personally I'd leave X2-Online on the shelf.

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”