FARNHAMS LEGEND: Chapter 22 - November 2005

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

KiwiNZ
x4

FARNHAMS LEGEND: Chapter 22 - November 2005

Post by KiwiNZ » Thu, 10. Nov 05, 13:20

Well, most (all) of you know that the english version Farnhams Legend has now been published. Yet, as there are some differences between the book and this online version, I have been granted permission (thanks Helge) to continue posting the raw translation.You are, of course, all encouraged to get the book!!! Either buy a game that has the book with it or try and order it through your nearest bookshop.

ISBN 3-00-017124-X

Anyway, here we go!

Chapter 22

ARGON PRIME

The Future belongs to those who believe in the beauty
of their dreams.

Eleanor Roosevelt,
former First Lady

"Ninu, will now finally come to pass, what we Goner dreamt of for so long?" Norma Gardner coughed weakly, unable to move from the half-reclined bed or even speak above a pale whisper. Her kinship with Ninu was unmistakeable in her bone structure, her eyes and the shape of her smile, but she was pale, emaciated and taken to exhaustion by the illness. Her skin hung loose and her hair was shot with grey. She watched her daughter from the corner of her eye and summoned the remnants of her vitality to fight the disease some more. To Elena, standing a step behind Brennan the woman didn't look old, no more than fifty terrestrial years. The ghost of the ravishingly beautiful woman she once was shone through the mask of her disease.

The hospital had made some effort to make the room light and friendly. A picture of a single large bloom adorning the facing wall and a swathe of plants grew in well-tended hydro-bowls. Despite the unobtrusive medical equipment, designed without visible displays and incessant, irritating beeps the trailing tubes embracing the Keeper left no doubt that this was an intensive care bed.

Ninu sat stroking her mother's hair. Ion Battler stood on the other side of the bed looking down, sad but composed, at his adoptive mother.

"Yes, Norma," Ninu said quietly. "Earth is very close now."

The Keeper frowned through a spasm and nodded faintly. "Much is still to be done. I don't believe that I…" She took a deep breath and silently wrestled down the pain. Ninu pressed her hand. "Encroachments by the Xenon," she whispered. "Diplomacy, new technology - at least I'm keeping well-informed in spite of everything!"

"I know you are, Norma," Ninu whispered.

"My daughter! Just this one time, call me mother, mum. I'd so like to hear it."

Ninu nodded, her eyes moist. "Of course, mother." She broke off, unable to speak and leaned forward to gently embrace the frail Keeper.

"Please tell me, Ninu," the Keeper breathed a ragged, sighing breath. "Will you and Kyle … will I be a grandmother?"

Ninu looked at Brennan but he didn't know how to answer. A yes would make the dying woman happy but the future, especially his own, was uncertain.

Norma Gardna coughed loudly. Alarmed, Ninu turned towards her mother to find her features twisted into a strained smile. "Mother?"

"It's alright, Ninu. The look on your face was quite priceless, but..."

"Please, you must rest mother!"

"No, looking on that handsome fellow has been a divine experience, it gives me strength." She turned her head slightly. "Brennan, Kyle … the man from Earth … to show us the way to the blue planet … and to compensate Ion for he can no longer become a Keeper of Truth."

"Why, mum, mother? Why can't I? Why should that be impossible?"

"Come here Ion," Norma whispered. She took his hand. "When the truth is in everyone's heart it no longer needs a guardian. And that's where it will be soon. Brennan will see to that, and Ninu and the lovely warrior, Elena Kho."

Elena acknowledged the compliment with a slight bow, she had gotten used to the fact her features were unusual and exotic here in the Community. That Brennan, who she found so many light years from home, had given his heart to someone here, that was something that would take some time to adjust to. At least Ninu seemed friendly but they'd only just met and she had no idea what attracted Brennan to her.

"Ion... Ninu... go with your friends and comrades. Go aboard of the Aladna, bear me in... in good remembrance, like I have been, not like I... will be." The keeper paused and fought long for breath. "I don't want you to be here when I die."

"Mother!"

"Please!" Norma Gardna wheezed, her eyes flickering weakly. For a short time it seemed that the glimpse of a longed for future had lent the dying woman some strength but now it looked as if she was wasting way before their eyes.

"So tired..." she said. "Go now!" Her eyes closed, and the rattling rasp of each wrested breath became a little bit louder.

Ninu stood up and looked at Brennan for help. The man from Earth took her close in his arms.

"I believe she is right, Ninu." Ion stared concerned at his sister. He had felt closer to Norma than Ninu since his earliest childhood but despite that he held his feelings in check while tears flowed down her cheeks.

That evening Ninu returned to the Aladna Hill.

"Don't forget me," she whispered to Brennan when they said good-bye.

"Believe me, I won't!"

They kissed again - a short but passionate farewell. Then they parted.

Ion Battler took the next chance he had to return to Cloudbase. He was living in exciting times and there was much to do even if he could no longer follow in Norma's footsteps and become a Keeper. He would still follow her path because it led to Earth and there would always be truths to be kept.

Kroyon
x3tc

Post by Kroyon » Sat, 12. Nov 05, 00:03

The book is fanstastic, I got it with my pre-order of X3...I've almost finished reading it and amazingly, like the X3 manual stated, I'm thinking of installing X Btf ;)
Windows 7 64bit
Corsair Dominator 6GB RAM
GeForce GTX 295 Co-Op 1792MB
AMD Phenom II X4 Quad Core 965 3.4GHz

Mastermue
x3ap

Post by Mastermue » Sat, 12. Nov 05, 09:17

Super, as always!
Have read the Novel that came with X3.
WELL DONE HELGE, STEVE AND ANDREAS! (And others)

Will continue to read this version as well to 'spot the differences'

:D :D :D :D :D

KarlHemmings
x4

Post by KarlHemmings » Tue, 15. Nov 05, 00:18

:thumb_up: Oh my - a great read.

Lofte
x3

Post by Lofte » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 17:10

just like to say thanks and keep it up, how many more chapters left to go?

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Thu, 17. Nov 05, 18:38

Four more to go. So there will be something to read until inclusive March 2006 ;)

(/\)arped
x4

Post by (/\)arped » Wed, 30. Nov 05, 20:36

Only four more left? wow not much left! :D Tis good as always, thanken!

Return to “Creative Universe”