Universal Combat imminent.

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

SteveMill
x4

Universal Combat imminent.

Post by SteveMill » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 12:37

As a balm to us neglected Euro types Universal Combat is due out this month. It is the latest in the Battlecruiser series - with a difference. The new publishers hit on the idea of trying to sell it to people who are not multi-tasking octopi with planet sized brains. Apparently a much simplified game interface makes it accessible to the casual gamer.

Everything from piloting a battlecruiser to planetfall and duking it out hand to hand.

I kind of regret pre-ordering x2 US version now. It's in amazon for £24.99.

http://www.3000ad.com/products/uc.shtml

Below are highlights of the most important of over fifty or more new or enhanced features.

· NEW! Overhauled graphics engine with DirectX 9 support!
· NEW! Graphics engine with various shader enhancements
· NEW! Terrain PTE-III engine with vegetation, wild/sea life etc
· NEW! Flight dynamics engine with mouse flight controls
· NEW! Skeleton based character animation engine
· NEW! Space/planetary and vehicular dynamics engine
· NEW! Revised and even more sophisticated AI kernel
· NEW! Stereo soundfx and fourteen new song tracks
· NEW! Interface and action focused control revisions
· NEW! High polygon count 3D assets
· NEW! Space stations & starbase classes
· NEW! Recon, Assault, Engineer and Medic marine classes
· NEW! 22 first weapon weapons plus other items
· NEW! 28 character models + over 1500 animation frames
· NEW! 04 new careers for a total of 09 playable careers
· NEW! 22 driveable vehicles
· NEW! 12 controllable threat (e.g. SAM) units
· NEW! 10 controllable naval units (ships, subs, LCACs etc)
· NEW! 05 flyable planetary gunships
· NEW! 54 flyable space crafts (fighters, carriers, cruisers etc)
· NEW! 64 player multiplay support
· NEW! 25 mission Advanced Campaign scenario
· NEW! 15 Instant Action scenarios
· NEW! GBS-III mission builder

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 13:15

Might give it a look :)

Thanks for the heads-up

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

RenegadeTK
x4

Post by RenegadeTK » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 13:25

Yeah, I've sort of followed that game...and while it looks interesting, I'm going to wait for a review or two before I rush out and get it. I have B:M and well, um...yeah, it was about as easy to get into as a wet, undersized corduroy speedo.

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 13:54

A lot of NEW stuff there :P . Might be worth a look I think.
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

oopsdedagen
x2

Post by oopsdedagen » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 14:15

Cheers a good pointer for those of us who are waiting, have space sim withdrawal and are replayed out. :thumb_up:

GHarper
x3

Post by GHarper » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 14:27

I've been trying to understand the change from BCM:G to UC.

is it a simplified interface? or did the simplify the game? or did they just change hte name and add a streamlined interface?

JadeNova
x3tc

Post by JadeNova » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 14:37

Yup I'm gonna try that one too! :)

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 14:38

GHarper wrote:I've been trying to understand the change from BCM:G to UC.

is it a simplified interface? or did the simplify the game? or did they just change hte name and add a streamlined interface?
As far as I know it was a decision imposed by the publishers, new name and a wider market appeal as the BC series had a well earned reputation for having a steep learning curve. Derek Smart seems to think it was a good idea. AFAIK it's not a trader like Elite or X but has trading elements. The series is best at the combat side of things. If they can add an easier interface to the huge possibilities open to the dedicated played of BCM it could be awesome.

Marcin
x3

Post by Marcin » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 21:34

I think the name change was due to the massive stigma that the Battlecruiser series has had :D Hoping to hook a few of those who um, haven't experienced yet the massive uh, scope of Derek's er.. "genius".

Yeah.

:D

In short: I'll believe it when I see it.

It's not that BCM (BattleCruiser Milennium) was complex (well, it was, a tad), it's that it wasn't a) any FUN, b) at all interesting. When a ship, a human and a wheeled vehicle all MOVE the SAME way, and the terrain to enjoy is composed of a single texture...count me out.

Anyway. It's a great concept; it just needs either more time or a bigger development team or...something. A big injection of "go" juice.

I'd definitely check it out - but I wouldn't just go out and plunk money down on it. Just a FYI to all those considering... :)

becketvelar
x2

Post by becketvelar » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 21:50

I totally agree with Marcin. The problem with the BC series is the scope vastly expands beyond the boundaries of what most development studios can do. Basically the idea is sound...I would like nothing more than a game that I could do ANYTHING I want...however I do realize there are limitations. Granted a lot of those limitations are falling by the wayside as the technology increases. Freelancer had that issue. It looked good, it was hyped to the gills, and theoretically you could do what ever you wanted. It was lacking because it could not live up to the expecations of individuals who waited 5 years for it to me out. Same goes for Pirates of the Caribbean(previously Seadogs 2) Great idea, great concept ...terrible followthrough). I would recommend to all that are thinking of going towards Universal Combat...do a touch of research. I did and I think it saved me some green.

Remember Diablo has something like 12 different monsters...er I mean hoards of different colored monste...er ... the point is having 60 different types of car is neat if they are different and not just 6 cars with different paintjobs.

B
I must drink my beer. Beer is the mind killer. Beer is the little death that leads to obliteration.

fenix67
x4

Post by fenix67 » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 23:42

I think i might have to give this one a look myself, thanks for the info. :wink:

TheOneWraith
x2

Re: Universal Combat imminent.

Post by TheOneWraith » Sat, 8. Nov 03, 10:48

SteveMill wrote:As a balm to us neglected Euro types Universal Combat is due out this month. It is the latest in the Battlecruiser series - with a difference. The new publishers hit on the idea of trying to sell it to people who are not multi-tasking octopi with planet sized brains. Apparently a much simplified game interface makes it accessible to the casual gamer.
What about us multi-tasking octopi with planet sized brains? HUH!?!?
What about OUR needs???
Why have you forsaken us!?!?

*stops eating the candy*

...*ahem* sorry again.

Seriously, though, was I the ONLY PERSON IN EXISTENCE who found BCM really easy to get into?

Two great space sims, but money for one...
Heh, my video card busted 5 minutes after reading about X2's goldness; I now can buy but one...

X2 it is!!! (at least it won't be a slide show anymore)

...You didn't think I'd choose inferiority, did you?

Foolish mortals...

I can't wait for another game in which I can destroy the humans!
Or in this case...Argons.
Ironic that I REALLY like the Argon One...

*Checks "on-topicness" monitor*
My Off-Topic reading is off the scale!!!
Abort Reply!
Abor...
*static*
I do what I must, when I must.....

-MEMORIAL- Those who turn their backs on history are destined to repeat it, doomed to be conquered by their forgotten enemies

Draugr

Post by Draugr » Sun, 21. Dec 03, 19:37

Regarding this Universal Combat game. What is it going to be exactly? Is it going to be similar to a FPS on a sci-fi scale? MEaning think Battlefield 1942 or Operation Flashpoint, except this game will allow servers where players can be fighting on a planet via infantry, ships at sea, tanks and land vehicles, or planes in the sky on various planets, while at the same time other players might be fighting in outerspace with fighter ships, battleships, fleets, etc... What I'd like to know is how broad is this UC game going to be? Also, is it aimed to be a shooter pretty much like Planetside with less complex controls than the earlier Battlefield games?

Also, is it going to be level or map/arena based, or one giant continuous universe like X2?

I tried logging in to post about this on the UC site but it says they arent taking any more subscriptions to their boards. Thats silly if you ask me.

John

Sandalpocalypse
x4

Post by Sandalpocalypse » Sun, 21. Dec 03, 20:29

everything the D-ster does is silly.

Basically AFAIK it's a freeform combat game.

Trilon
x4

Post by Trilon » Mon, 22. Dec 03, 06:36

I had the unfortunate experience of reading some of Derek Smarts comments on Bluesnews.com recently, I'll be avoiding this game just because it would be supporting him by buying it.

Maybe I'll get it if I see it in the bargain bin for $5 one day...until then, no way.

plasma

Post by plasma » Mon, 22. Dec 03, 09:35

yeah UC looks like it will be amazing :) ....... been following it for a while now.

Biggy
x2

Post by Biggy » Mon, 22. Dec 03, 16:22

Trilon wrote:I had the unfortunate experience of reading some of Derek Smarts comments on Bluesnews.com recently, I'll be avoiding this game just because it would be supporting him by buying it.

Maybe I'll get it if I see it in the bargain bin for $5 one day...until then, no way.
I had heard D.Smart was eh... 'silly' so I decided to read up a bit. This guy is just insane! (and not in a positive way).
I guess I'll just skip his games too. I'd prefer to support people with at least some common courtesy (can we say Egosoft?)

Aro
x4

Post by Aro » Mon, 22. Dec 03, 17:32

E g o s o f t

So can a person just go around with a planet killer and finish the ground wars?

Guile

Post by Guile » Mon, 22. Dec 03, 17:38

If a demo come out I'll certainly give it a look, but I doubt the game will be anything more than a rehash of his previous titles.

The main problem with his games is that there is actually very little you WANT to do.
I mean, you can do whatever you want in the game, but there is virtually no overall plot or storyline that makes you want to keep on playing.
I found that once you've done stuff once, there is little to make you want to do it again.

And, Mr Smart just seems to be filled with contempt for anyone who disagree's with him!
It's really quite extraordinary.
The man may well be clever when it comes to programming, but he seems to have a serious problem when it comes to dealing with other human beings.
Working in the IT field for a good number of years means you come across people like this fairly regularly, but it's rare that someone with so pronounced an emotional retardation manages to last for such a length of time in very public role...
I just don't understand why people keep giving him chances.
:?

WetWarev7
x3tc

Post by WetWarev7 » Mon, 22. Dec 03, 18:29

Guile wrote:If a demo come out I'll certainly give it a look, but I doubt the game will be anything more than a rehash of his previous titles.

The main problem with his games is that there is actually very little you WANT to do.
I mean, you can do whatever you want in the game, but there is virtually no overall plot or storyline that makes you want to keep on playing.
I found that once you've done stuff once, there is little to make you want to do it again.
Amen to that! I've bought all the BC games, for the one simple fact that I like being able to do anything. So, for example, I go to a planet, fly down to the surface to explore this alien world, and there is simply nothing there! Huge massive landscapes of giant pixel texturing!
Sure there are some cities, but they are already labeled in TACOPS, and they all have the same look to them. So I try a different planet, same thing.

UC may have plant life and animals, but it will probably be just the same ones on all the planets.......No change of scenery. Except for the texture pixel color. :P

Great idea, good implementation, but no depth. But, if the reviews for UC seem good, I might buy it.

And please don't get me started on D. Smart......If I don't have anything nice to say........ :twisted:
My X2 mods:
Pirate Scanner(X2)
Have Scanner-Will Travel(X2)
WetWare's Ship Tweaks(X2)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”