New story "Prime Numbers"

Official fiction, fan fiction and artwork. Let your talent express itself!

Moderators: TheElf, Moderators for English X Forum

pixel
x3tc

New story "Prime Numbers"

Post by pixel » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 18:12

Just completed the first chapter, let me know what you think!!

It is a bit slow to start but things will heat up soon!!

EDIT 1/4/04 : just edited this a bit to make it read easier :)

---------------------------------------

Chapter 1 - The Innocent

"This meeting is driving me crazy, changing me.
I will never trust anyone again".
Pearl Jam.

Piotr guided his bulky freighter into the docking port of the delexian wheat farm. As the factory gates opened and admitted him he relaxed after the trade run and looked forward to seeing his aunt on the station.

Before leaving the Lifter Piotr checked that the sale had gone through as had been agreed before he docked. The vidscreen showed a profit for this trip of 5,000 credits. Seeing the transfer the young trader once again thanked his lucky stars, and more specifically, his uncle who had left him the ship that had allowed him to make a fairly decent living. Not many people owned their own cargo ship at just 22 years of age.

'Nice going, now let's try and find that bar again tonight' he thought to himself as he half remembered a drunken evening the last time he'd been docked there.

Piotr had to barge his way through the crowds at the ship dock to get to the main entrance, a passenger ship had just docked and the station manager had no idea about station security, but then again why worry, this was Argon prime after all. After a few bruises from forcing his way through the crowd Piotr eventually got through to the transport lifts and started on his way to his aunt's place.

"Piotr! You are early!!" Aunt Petuniac rushed out of the door to grab him in a bear hug. Piotr wasn't small but he was winded when his aunt finally let him go. Dragged in to the main room by his aunt's strong grip he smiled as his nose brought him the scents of dinner cooking.

"Yes, Piotr we are baking some meatsteak casserole tonight just as you like it, with some stott spices!!", Aunt Petuniac smiled kindly, not so long ago this young man standing before her had been a shy and awkward nephew given in to her charge after his parents had died when he was 10 years old.

Eventually, after being nagged by his aunt for any news Piotr eventually got to eat. The dish prepared was his favourite, chunks of meatsteak casseroled in a spicy stott sauce, accompanied by a rich delexian wheat bread.

As he spooned down the tasty stew he thought about his business. He was doing ok, but the routes he used were becoming more popular with other indepenent traders and his profits were being squeezed as a result. It wouldn't be so bad but he had to support his aunt, and as he knew to his cost, she had some strongly held beliefs about keeping up appearances.

"Auntie, I need to find a new trade route, business is slowing down with all the new traders around", Piotr braced himself for the inevitable reply.

"Nonsense Piotr! You know what I always said, don't leave the safety of Argon Prime, I can't be worrying about you out there in those other sectors!". And so with this sentence his aunt repeated what she had said a thousand times before, never leave argon prime - it would mean leaving the security of the argon prime defense forces, and it would make her worry.

Piotr didn't say anything in reply, but started eating again. His aunt was always happy when he ate, at least it kept her quiet.

----

After his aunt had gone to bed Piotr headed out to find that bar he'd thought about when he docked.

After a few wrong turns (his memory of the place wasn't too good, probably due to all the space fuel he'd had there last time) he found it and managed to grab the seat he'd had before. The seat was by a vidscreen looking out over the docking port and gave an ever shifting view of the stars and the ship traffic coming and going around the sector.

He didn't recognise any of the others in the bar, so whilst the live band played in the background (the band was based on some of the classic rock bands found on archived data from a terran ship that had arrived in Argon space years earlier) Piotr pondered his situation.

His aunt and uncle had taken good care of him and he cared deeply for his aunt. When Piotr was 16 his uncle, a cargo hauler, had died in an accident in a neighbouring sector. He'd been travelling on a transport ship to visit some old friends in Cloudbase South West whilst his Lifter was undergoing a maintenance overhaul back in Argon Prime. The transport ship had been caught in crossfire from a pirate raid, an Orinoco pirate fighter had crashed into the transport and all lives had been lost.

His uncle had made few savings and Piotr's aunt, in spite of her grief, had had to keep the business going (using an android to pilot the freighter) to support herself and Piotr as he went through School. The business had brought in sufficient income at first, thanks to the kindness of her husband's past associates, but times became more difficult as more and more independent traders came onto the scene. Piotr's aunt had found it increasingly difficult to make a decent profit, she was 70 years old and just not ready for the burden that the business carried. Organising trade routes, negotiating prices, scheduling regular maintenance checks - these are only some of the things that a haulage business entails.

At 18 Piotr left school. He took his pilot test and passed, getting a grade F license, weapons resricted. The license allowed Piotr to fly cargo ships and small M5 light fighters (without weapons). The same day he got the licence he had taken charge of the cargo hauler business with his Aunt's blessings (after he'd promised to never leave Argon Prime Sector).

The business, with Piotr in control, had not done badly, partly because of continuing help from some old friends of his uncle and partly because Piotr didnt mind taking some of the less glamorous, less profitable, jobs. He wasn't out there to make a fortune, he just wanted to be able to support his aunt and himself so they could live comfortably in her place on the Delexian wheat farm station.

This business approach had worked to date but now the ever increasing competition meant that profit margins would be increasingly difficult to maintain on trade routes within Argon Prime. Piotr knew he had to start taking on some jobs across sectors to help improve the cashflow situation - the costs of maintaining the Lifter and supporting his aunt were not cheap.

Just as Piotr had made up his mind to find some cross sector jobs (without telling his aunt) he saw one of his childhood friends enter the bar. Grinning he waved him over, looking forward to a night of heavy drinking and catching up on all the latest gossip.

"Hey Piotr! Good to see you! I saw your ship had come in and thought I might be able to track you down here after what you got up to last time!". Fredic was tall and skinny, but Piotr knew that Fredic was deceptively strong - despite the fact that he worked down on the wheat farm itself and spent most of his time driving a harvester.

"Hey Fredic, what's up then! Get you a drink?"

------

The next day, after having recovered from his hangover of the night before, Piotr decided to head back to his Lifter.

Aunt Petuniac stopped him before he left, "Remember Piotr, don't leave the sector, and keep in touch, let me know when you're coming back!".

"Don't worry auntie, I'll be back before you know it!", Piotr grinnned at his aunt, gave her a peck on the cheek and strolled out the door. His doting aunt waved him goodbye as he walked down the corridor to the waiting transport lift.

When he got to his ship Piotr thumbed his caller. "Fredic? Hi...it's Piotr...look, what we talked about in the bar last night, that's right, you said I could get a good purchase price for 600 units of ore at the ore mine in Ringo moon, I'm on my way there now to get some. I just wanted to check that I remembered right!." As he listened Piotr grinned, what he heard equated to a 12000 profit for the trip, a lot better than he'd been getting to date.

"Thanks mate! See you soon!". Piotr wasted no time, He quickly hooked himself up in the pilot seat and, after initial ship safety checks, asked for departure clearance.

"Lifter AM4PK-12 you have cleareance for departure" the station docking controller repied.
Last edited by pixel on Mon, 1. Mar 04, 14:55, edited 4 times in total.
"I find your lack of belief in the Three Dimensionality disturbing." Mercenary

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Red wine...the only way to frag

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 18:16

having to do this in two parts:

----

On approach to the gate to Ringo Moon Piotr rechecked his ship defences. Argon Prime sector was pretty safe but some of the nearby sectors were not and he flew a slow ship. This was his first time outside of the sector since he was 10 years old and he was a bit nervous.

The cargo hold was empty but for 20 drone fighters, the Lifters shields were two 5mW units and it could carry no weapons. The insurance from his uncles death had payed for the Lifter to be half maxxed out for speed and steering so it was quite quick for a freighter.

At 2 kilometres from the gate Piotr began to make some careful adjustments to his course, he didn't want to crash into any incoming traffic.

"Gate, Ringo Moon", the Lifter computer announced calmly.

Piotr adjusted his ship speed to 50 m/s at 1 kilometre from the gate. He was looking forward to experiencing his first jump for several years.

The gate activated when he was 100 metres away. A glowing light appeared and then, as the Lifter shifted gently, Piotr was suddenly looking at the warp tunnel wall slide by amazingly quickly. The swirling energy patterns created a vivid light show in his cockpit for several exciting moments and then slowed. Piotr was looking out at Sector Ringo Moon.

'Wow! That gate jump sure is something! I've been missing out' Chuckling to himself Piotr took stock of where he was. There were no nearby ships and the nav computer showed no pirate presence - just as well as Piotr would have turned around right away if there had been. He increased speed to maximum and began looking for the ore mine. He quickly found the distinctive shape of the mining station (fixed around the side of an asteroid) and headed towards it.

"Ore mine, Alpha", anounced the Lifter computer. The mine showed ID of AMIUI-42. That was the one Fredic had told him about.

Piotr was illogically surprised that docking with the mine was very little different to docking with the stations in Argon Prime (there were no mines in Argon Prime). He quickly got docking permission and lined his ship up with the docking port.

Docking went without a hitch and after a few friendly introductions with the station factor Piotr was soon on his way back towards the Argon Prime gate with a hold full of ore bought at a bargain price.

-------

Heading back to the gate Piotr took some time out to look around the system. He was impressed by the size of the nearby moon and was amused to remember that the sport Hardball had originated here. Looking at the ominous grey moon Piotr thought the sport was probably named after it. After gawping at some of the other factories he'd not seen before he laid in a course back to the gate. Ten kilometres from the gate Piotr noticed a Boron ship heading in the same direction from the nothern gate.

Piotr had always liked Boron Ship design and this one was no exception. He slipped his video enhancement goggles on and had a better look. The goggles helped Piotr pass the time on trading runs, he'd never forget the time he'd caught site of a couple cavorting in the pilot's chair of a Discoverer - that ship had been doing some interesting manouvers at the time.

The M4 Boron piranha was a sleek and fast medium fighter and could carry a good weapons payload. Piotr saw that this one only had two gamma IREs, which was unusal as fighter pilots usually maxxed out the weapons first of all and the Piranha could carry Gamma PACs. Another odd thing was that the cockpit screen was darkened - he could not see the pilot.

As his lifter carried on towards the gate, with only 5 kilometres to go Piotr realised that the M4 trajectory was not optimal for a gate insertion, if anything it seemed to be heading for him.

Piotr was puzzled at this as usually pilots allowed to pilot M4 ships were pretty on the ball. Not wishing to make any enemies, piotr halved his speed to allow the approaching fighter to pass him by.

"Wolfie, why are you slowing down , thats not what I expected you to do when you saw me!?" a female voice came over the comm.

Piotr smiled, not often that he spoke to women on his trading runs.

"Hi there pilot! I'm afraid you got the wrong guy, there's no wolfie here. Maybe I can help, what is the ship ID you're looking for?"

"Well, you might not be Wolfie, but that is his freighter. Tell me, now, where is Wolfie?" the female voice had lost its friendly tone of voice.

Piotr suddenly realised that some of his uncle's older acquaintances had once or twice mentioned that his uncle had used the tag 'Wolf' in his younger days, though Piotr didn't know much about that. But he did know he wasn't going to get into an argument with a Piranha before getting back to the safety of Argon Prime. Piotr began to increase his speed towards the gate, still 4 kilometres away and called the Boron ship back.

"This is my ship! You might be referring to the previous owner, my Uncle, he passed away a few years ago."

"Why have you increased speed, cargo boy! You trying to hide something from me?". Piotr saw on the scope that the Piranha had increased velocity towards him, what was worse was that it was now stationed directly behind his ship and closing.

"eerrm...no!", Piotr began to get worried pretty quickly, to hold position directly behind another ship and then approach firing range was not a friendly gesture. "Look, I have a cargo run to complete and I'm running late. I'm sorry I can't help you more"

Suddenly the cockpit shook and Piotr saw the HUD scope switch the Piranha's designation from friendly to hostile. The crazy bitch was shooting at him! Piotr was frozen to his chair, no-one in his 4 years of trading around Argon Prime had ever shot at him, it just didn't happen in that carrier patrolled sector.

"Hey cargo boy! Aren't you gonna play!" the woman's voice was mocking.

The cockpit juddered again. Piotr came to life and checked the shield status it was at 85% and dropping steadily. 'Christ, this is like the arcade sims, but this time I'm the sap being attacked', Piotr grabbed the flight stick and pushed hard down to try and evade the Piranha's fire.

"ooooh! Evasive manouvres! Is that all you got?" sarcasm filled the woman's tone.

"You crazy cow! Why the hell are you shooting at me? Get lost!" Piotr continued to make some evasive manouvres with the flight stick, but it wasn't having much effect - the Piranha was too agile.

"Because you are related to Wolfie, if I missed out killing Wolfie...well, I guess you'll just have to do instead!" a crazy laugh followed this cold-blooded statement.

Piotr blinked, he could not believe this, first time outside of Argon Prime sector and he gets attacked! He was quickly running out of options, his shields were down to 50%.

'Drones, use the drones dumbass!', Piotr slapped his head in irritation that he'd forgotten his defenses and flipped the switch to release all 20 drones from the hold to attack the Piranha. The incoming fire abruptly stopped as the drones surrounded the hostile fighter behind him.

Piotr was almost ready to congratulate himself when he saw on the HUD scope that the piranha pilot had already destroyed 2 of the drones in the few seconds since he had deployed them and he still had 3 kilometres to go till he'd reach the gate.
Last edited by pixel on Mon, 1. Mar 04, 15:01, edited 2 times in total.

"So getting this chick back is more than just getting a chick back. It's the concrete manifestation of an abstract policy goal. And we like concrete - right, Vic?"

Moss
x2

Post by Moss » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 19:25

Nice start Pixel, maybe his aunt knows somthing shes not telling!

Nicely writen easy to read sections (no huge chunks of text!), nice introduction to the first few characters, and an interesting read.

You spelt Cloudbase as Clodbase somewhere in there.

Hope to see more of this and find out why he's being attacked.

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 19:31

thanks! :D

was inspired by Merc's stories :)

I have a vague plot lined up, hopefully I can get several more chapters out soon!

JadeNova
x3tc

Post by JadeNova » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 19:54

Yup good start, good reading. :D

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Fri, 7. Nov 03, 23:41

JadeNova wrote:Yup good start, good reading. :D
Thanks JadeNova

appreciate the feedback!! :)

better get started on the next chapter....

Commander Firefox
x2

Post by Commander Firefox » Sat, 8. Nov 03, 14:58

hey pixel thats one hell of a good story , u should right a book .Im itching for the 2nd part hurry it up :) please

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Sat, 8. Nov 03, 18:41

Very very promising - I'll be reading. :)

Some tips - the words 'he', 'she' and 'it' are your friends. No need to keep saying his name or referring to objects by their name once you've established them as the subject.

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Sat, 8. Nov 03, 18:46

Cheers Steve! :)

I had been thinking about that and agree that I have been using character names a bit often.

oh well,

chapter 3 to practice my 'skills'!! :D

KiwiNZ
x4

Post by KiwiNZ » Sun, 9. Nov 03, 06:10

Good read, pixel! It does appear though as if his friend has set him up. Although, the reference to his uncle could also mean that it is just a pirate on a trip.

I noticed you classed the Piranha as M3, it is M4.

pixel
x3tc

Post by pixel » Sun, 9. Nov 03, 11:20

KiwiNZ wrote:Good read, pixel! It does appear though as if his friend has set him up. Although, the reference to his uncle could also mean that it is just a pirate on a trip.

I noticed you classed the Piranha as M3, it is M4.
Cheers KiwiNZ, corrected ship reference!!

:D

well, chapter 3 is on its way today!! :) it should answer some questions....

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Mon, 10. Nov 03, 13:29

Nice start and it looks as though the young lad might be in trouble ;)

Bit late on starting but hey I've been busy :)

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

Return to “Creative Universe”