Call me silly but.............

Ask here if you experience technical problems with X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-Tension or X-Beyond The Frontier

Moderators: timon37, Moderators for English X Forum

Reev
x2

Call me silly but.............

Post by Reev » Wed, 24. Dec 03, 22:50

A game based on flying around space, trading, fighting, running missions, and so on, should place FIXING JOYSTICK CONTROL pretty high on the list.

Don't ya think?

Apothos
x3tc

Post by Apothos » Wed, 24. Dec 03, 23:03

Please note all joystick errors and problems are being looked into

Avis
x2

Re: Call me silly but.............

Post by Avis » Wed, 24. Dec 03, 23:09

Reev wrote:Call me silly but.............

You Silly But you.

White Tiger
x2

Post by White Tiger » Wed, 24. Dec 03, 23:46

Thanks Apothos for answering this post. Reevs has a very valid complaint. Unless you are only satisfied with trading and using auto combat control. :!: I hate to see this game fall by the wayside because of such a simple thing as overly sensitive joystick control.

Reev
x2

Post by Reev » Thu, 25. Dec 03, 00:00

Apothos wrote:
I know you guys are looking into it and thats good. However in a game where space travel and combat is so vital, I should think fixing the joysticks would be really high on the priority list. Space flight is really the core of this game, right?

Troj
x3

Post by Troj » Thu, 25. Dec 03, 00:07

Reev wrote:
Apothos wrote:
I know you guys are looking into it and thats good. However in a game where space travel and combat is so vital, I should think fixing the joysticks would be really high on the priority list. Space flight is really the core of this game, right?
You'd think so from the outset, but it seems to me that Profit and trade is the core of this game. I have to be honest, I love space sims, I've played and completed Freespace 1+2/Iwar 1+2 more times then I can count , seriously, and in the last week of playing X2 I've not used the joystick for more then 2 seconds at a time.

I want to use the joystick, and when I can afford a nice M6 I hope to give those Khaak a nice ass whooping , ala freespace style, but it hasn't stopped me playing the game.

Faze
x2

Post by Faze » Thu, 25. Dec 03, 01:03

Saitek Evo.

No problems.

:p
No point in running.
You will just DIE tired!

Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak !

Reev
x2

Post by Reev » Fri, 26. Dec 03, 02:57

I am not willing to spend 90 bucks for a new joystick when there is no reason for my current one not to work. Its not even an old joystick. a MS precision 2 USB is fairly new. It also cost 30 bucks, hardly a cheapy.

martindemon
x3

Post by martindemon » Fri, 26. Dec 03, 03:38

I would very much LOVE to have the option to choose a 0% deadzone. I have a Cougar Hotas, which is very precise; the deadzone nonlinearity really disturbs my hardest combats.

Reven
x4

Post by Reven » Fri, 26. Dec 03, 03:57

Faze wrote:Saitek Evo.

No problems.
Just bought this joystick. What a beautiful controller. Never thought I'd like something more than my faithful Thrustmaster Top Gun Fox Pro USB, but this one beats it hands down. Doesn't hurt that it's the best looking joystick I've ever seen too. :) My only beef is that the software that comes with it isn't nearly as good as the Thrustmapper that comes with all Thrustmaster products.

More on topic, I think that it is a large concern for the developers. They made a good attempt at fixing it in their very first patck, which was out less than a month after the game's releae. They have promised a more extensive review as well. I would rather them take the time they need and get it just right, than to rush out another patch and find out it is flakey.
You were warned... pirates will be hunted down like vermin.

Ex Turbo Modestum

twistedtech
x3tc

Post by twistedtech » Fri, 26. Dec 03, 04:02

You could try changing them in the registry.

BE CAREFUL!!! YOU CAN REALLY F*** YOUR SYSTEM UP BY INCORRECTLY MODIFYING THE REGISTRY!!

Run "regedit"

Goto:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE
Software
EgoSoftware
X2

There are 3 entries of interest:

InputFFgain
InputJoyDeadzone
InputJoySensitivity

You can doubleclick each one and change the decimal values.

hth
Try not to let your mind wander... It is too small to be out by itself.

Sipio
x2

Post by Sipio » Fri, 26. Dec 03, 09:51

Faze wrote:Saitek Evo.

No problems.

Are you saying that with the Saitek Cyborg EVO you are not having the famous control problems in X-2?

If that is so let me know cause i could use a new stick anyway and i might pick this one up.
Though 40 Euro isnt cheap but well worth it for me if i can play X-2 normally ;)

Pumpkin10
x3

Post by Pumpkin10 » Fri, 26. Dec 03, 09:56

Joystick is fine.

twistedtech
x3tc

Post by twistedtech » Fri, 26. Dec 03, 15:19

Saitek X45

see my previous post in this thread

with the sensitivity set to "0" in the registry, there is no crazy JS acceleration for me even in an M5 with 30% rudder optimizations. :D When it was set to "10" (minimum) on the ingame slider adjustment, I had the same wierd acceleration curve as the rest of you guys/gals.

I set my deadzone to "2"

Reev
x2

Post by Reev » Fri, 26. Dec 03, 15:43

Pumpkin10 wrote:Joystick is fine.
Why did you even bother to type this?

White Tiger
x2

Post by White Tiger » Fri, 26. Dec 03, 16:13

twistedtech,

Thanks for your input. But setting my sensitivity to "0" for the JS only made JS control worse for me. I had to move the JS handle too far just to get the ship to respond. I have my sensitity now set to 32% and the dead zone set to 2%. While this is still not eliminating the JS control problems, it does seem to be the best setting for me. Not being able to upgrade your rudder for your ship is just plain stupid.

Upgrading the rudder for your ship was alllways something you wanted to do in XBF. It made your ship more agile and quicker to respond in combat. They just need to fix the dang increasing speed of the rotation of
your ship as it turns. Make the turn speed to be constant , the way it was in XBF.

martindemon
x3

Post by martindemon » Fri, 26. Dec 03, 16:56

Thank you very much for that idea; i did not think the setting would be available directly in there :) Now my control is excellent and i'm happy with my 0% deadzone :)

twistedtech
x3tc

Post by twistedtech » Fri, 26. Dec 03, 17:08

Here is a site that has a few utils which may help some of you with Logitech and other brand JS problems.

hth

Commander KEY
x2

Post by Commander KEY » Mon, 29. Dec 03, 03:58

I have a Logitech Extreme 3D joystick, the default settings are 25% or 50% something on deadzone and sensitivity. But then there's a glitch when I move the joystick slightly (just touch so it moves less than 1 mm) my ship moves like 5 degrees. So I decreased sensitivity a bit 10%, effect of "slight touching" dissapeared. Instead another glitch appeared: like I push the joystick all the way from me - it moves normal, when I pull it towards me -it's 2 or 3 times slower. The same happens with left-right. So I set the sensitivity back to default - and the same stuff happens again until I reboot.

Return to “X³: Reunion, X²: The Threat, X-T and X-BTF - Technical Support”