Official Uk Review - Pc Zone Feb 2004

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

David B

Official Uk Review - Pc Zone Feb 2004

Post by David B » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 12:27

Dear X2 fans,

As promised at the end of last year, PC ZONE UK have reviewed X2 THE THREAT and awarded the game a PC ZONE CLASSIC, scoring a massive 92% - the highest scoring game in the issue. Here are just a couple of quotes from the piece.

"The best space game ever"

"...gorgeous..."
"the finest game to strap on its space-trading boots since Elite"

"better than Freelancer, better than EVE Online, better than any number of Privateers, Battlecruisers, Freespaces and Frontiers."

"Satisfaction on a great big gaming plate, decorated with gameplay garnishings and covered with game design sauce."

"one of the few examples of intelligent gaming out there"

I would encourage you all to buy a copy of this magazine - check out the back cover also :)

On the 23rd January PC GAMER will review X2. I will be back on the 23rd.

Best regards

David Blundell
PR MANAGER
DEEP SILVER / KOCH MEDIA

Lutzie
x2

Post by Lutzie » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 12:34

Hmm... whilst I'm not knocking the game (As I've never played it) I find it highly unlikly it'll be better than FreeSpace 2. OK so they're different genre's but for sheer enterainment value...

Still, 2nd place is good! :D

Just my 2 cents.
People, LEARN:

Lose: To be unsuccessful in retaining possession of; for example: He's always losing his money.
Loose: Not fastened or restrained; for example: Loose papers

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 13:02

Can this be locked as its a duplicate thread :p

:lol:

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

SteveMill
x4

Post by SteveMill » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 13:17

Al wrote:Can this be locked as its a duplicate thread :p

Al
No - because this is from someone 'official'. Let's not deter them, lock the other.

I'm pleased it's got a good review.

Al
x3tc

Post by Al » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 13:18

Thats why I put in the 2 smilies. I'm happy to see official input too :)

They should both be left open.

Al
X2 Capture Guru - X3:TC Noob :D
X2 Capture Guide

wandy

Post by wandy » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 14:55

SteveMill wrote:No - because this is from someone 'official'. Let's not deter them, lock the other.
Sniff

Aren't I official too then? :P

Regards, Wandy
Hardware Editor
http://www.pczone.co.uk

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 14:59

Official(ish).. I guess. :wink:

Steel
x4

Post by Steel » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 14:59

wandy wrote:
SteveMill wrote:No - because this is from someone 'official'. Let's not deter them, lock the other.
Sniff

Aren't I official too then? :P

Regards, Wandy
Hardware Editor
http://www.pczone.co.uk
LOL - I think so :-)

btw: I too read your stuff in PC Zone. Very good.

[goes back to finishing newsletter...]

;-)

Steel

Captain Kremen
x3tc

Post by Captain Kremen » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 15:31

Thats good news I am sure thiugh I saw a mention of playable demo in the Jan PCzone for the feb PC zone is this only on the DVD copy or will it be in next months mag???

Anyone know - Wandy??? - Steel??
Don't try to appeal to my good nature --- I haven't got one

Brianetta
x4

Re: Official Uk Review - Pc Zone Feb 2004

Post by Brianetta » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 16:43

David B wrote:As promised at the end of last year, PC ZONE UK have reviewed X2 THE THREAT and awarded the game a PC ZONE CLASSIC, scoring a massive 92% - the highest scoring game in the issue.
You promised us a 92% Classic award?!
PGP fingerprint: FA3D CA2F 38D3 BA69 87E1 D52E C204 FB5C 430A 0BFA

akrules!
x3

Re: Official Uk Review - Pc Zone Feb 2004

Post by akrules! » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 19:54

Brianetta wrote:
David B wrote:As promised at the end of last year, PC ZONE UK have reviewed X2 THE THREAT and awarded the game a PC ZONE CLASSIC, scoring a massive 92% - the highest scoring game in the issue.
You promised us a 92% Classic award?!

aggy
x2

Post by aggy » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 22:55

I agree with this review. Here's why:

I have been playing the game so far, having kept in mind the old Frontier: Elite II. This game is very comparable in a lot of ways, and I hope they will eventually add some things that Elite II had going for it.

Elite II was so huge and expansive that I could hardly believe making such a game was possible with the limited computer technology in 1993. In that game, you could land and take off from planets as well as space stations, and there were no load times or intermissions when leaving the environments of the planets, moons or stations.

The galaxy was LITERALLY composed of 1000's of stars, and when you got rich enough, you could buy a scoop-like device that would skim the outer areas of stars for plasma energy (or something like that) and fuel up for the next jump. In this fashion, you could explore the galaxy away from civilization.

That being said, X2 is smaller in scale, but the small details are an improvement. There is a better look of course and the trading and combat are much better. This game is very much about building anticipation in a player. You trade and work hard for that first solar plant, then you build your small company and equip as many or as few ships as you like. All the while, you just can't put the game down because you want to make just one more profitable trade run or mission to get closer to that next goal. The goals and levels are all in your own imagination, and you need no score or levels to tell you you are doing well because you will feel you are doing well.

I would imagine some players could feel great about owning just 1 killer ship, while others would be barely content with a carrier fleet and dozens of factories. Its a true game of imagination just like Elite 2.

Thanks to you programmers for a great game and I hope it only grows fro here.

Mr Sage
x3tc

Post by Mr Sage » Wed, 7. Jan 04, 23:49

PC Gamer Will still probably give it 30% though. Mainly because they don't know what constitutes a good game.

I'm glad Zone gave it the thumbs up.

tex-x
x2

Post by tex-x » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 01:01

Just wondering how much a review like this cost a gaming company to have written? I don't know where they got the full release, but as a majority of posts here state the BETA test most of us bought ain't all that great.

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 02:00

Before I start i just want to make sure you all know i love X2 and feel it deserves the 92%.

Understood :)

Ok well Pc zone have always seemed to me to be a dazzled by the graphics style of mag. Pc Gamer are a 5 minute review style of mag. So id expect a low score from Pc gamer and we did get a high score from PC zone.

The only mag I know that would have given this game a good working over is now closed sadly.

Thanks for the update David B, you do appear to be catching the more popular mags in the UK at least. :)

Giskard

Theopoli

Post by Theopoli » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 11:53

can someone post a copy of the review here,i checked through the site and all i got was "skip advert" and then no sign of a review.
or is it only on the mag cd?

Xenon_Slayer
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by Xenon_Slayer » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 12:20

92% is a very good mark, well done Egosoft and thank you PCZone :D
Come watch me on Twitch where I occasionally play several of the X games

Jericho
x2

Post by Jericho » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 12:36

Mr Sage wrote:PC Gamer Will still probably give it 30% though. Mainly because they don't know what constitutes a good game.

I'm glad Zone gave it the thumbs up.
They will because Egosoft won't pay them for a review. I am assuming (no legal trouble here) that Ion Storm paid them a hefty fee for the Deus Ex 2 review.

Seeing as the motley PC Zone crew are here, when are you guys bringing back Mr. Cursor? I want to find out how many online cheats were slaughtered.
"I've got a bad feeling about this!" Harrison Ford, 5 times a year, trying to land his plane.

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 13:49

Actually telling a mag about some of the cheats EG PC gamer before they review the game, may actually help them see the later game and thus understand the game better before they review it.

Theres no way an none X fan could see the game for what it is in a month but they could see its component parts in that time.

Id put an economy fan on the job and a space fan as his aid to the do a review for X2 my self. I believe that would produce the most accurate review.

Let the economy fan loose on the factories and the space fan loose on everything else.

Giskard

Avis
x2

Post by Avis » Thu, 8. Jan 04, 14:13

Jericho wrote:
Seeing as the motley PC Zone crew are here, when are you guys bringing back Mr. Cursor? I want to find out how many online cheats were slaughtered.
pah, who want's Mr Cursor when there was Culky ;-)

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”