Script editor required ?

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

SoloUK
x2

Script editor required ?

Post by SoloUK » Mon, 23. Feb 04, 22:32

Do I need a seperate script editor to run downloads scripts ? for example the "thereshallbewings!" script BabyFaces Ship creator... the readme says type in the above text... but that doesn't work... help pls

HeliumFreak
x2

Post by HeliumFreak » Mon, 23. Feb 04, 22:44

Yeah i have that problem as well. My script read me says

Installation:

Place the .XML in the scripts folder. While in space type "Thereshallbewings". The T
should be uppercase. Press CTRL-S, then S for script editor. Go to Script Editor which is the first option. Highlight this script file and press "R". The first input request asked should be answered with NULL. Press ENTER a couple times to get to the next input request.

I swear im missing something cause i typed this stuff in loads of times in space and in stations and nothing happens... I press CTRL and my laster fires.. i press S and i get ship info... eh??

HeliumFreak
x2

Post by HeliumFreak » Mon, 23. Feb 04, 22:47

Wow i just found it... Ok i did this

Go into ANY station.. and dock. On the first window that opens (you know the standard interface window that opens whenever you dock) ... Type

Thereshallbewings

With a capital T

Before you get half way through typing that a script editor should open... atleast mine did anyway :)

**Edit

Actualy i just found an even easier way heh.. Just go into a station, on the first interface window that opens up.. Press

E

And then script editor option will apear :)

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Mon, 23. Feb 04, 23:03

Please don't confuse people HeliumFreak. Once enabled, the script editor will appear in all relevant menus. People who have not yet enabled it will need to follow the instructions at the top of the forum.

1. Go into space.
2. Type "Thereshallbewings" slowly and carefully, making sure to use Shift-T to get the capital T at the beginning.
3. Go to your ship menu (S), then choose Command Console (C), then finally the Script Editor item (S) that should now be there.

BabyFace
x2

Re: Script editor required ?

Post by BabyFace » Mon, 1. Mar 04, 01:05

Do I need a seperate script editor to run downloads scripts ? for example the "thereshallbewings!" script BabyFaces Ship creator... the readme says type in the above text... but that doesn't work... help pls
lets be clear, where did you get the "!" from?? here is an quote from the readme

INSTALLING:

Put "script" into "script" and "t" into "t" dir of your x2 dir

type "Thereshallbewings" ingame when flying
shift-c, s, choose "Create.Ship.xxx.xxx" from the script menu, press R, and make the appropiate settings.
if all else fails, re-read the readme!
Check Regularly for new Script/Mods
http://www3.telus.net/public/starnet/default.htm

At the top of each page is a "Back To Main Page" Link

BabyFace

dancer
x3

script editor

Post by dancer » Tue, 13. Apr 04, 18:09

i've tried "Thereshallbewings" a dozen times by now, floating in space, but NOTHING ever happens.... no "beeps", no menu's..... can anybody tell me what the hell i am doing wrong????????????? :evil:
I have version 1.3, and i am using one of my savegames...; Any help? thx, 1000x thx's.....

Firedancer
x3

Re: script editor

Post by Firedancer » Tue, 13. Apr 04, 18:13

Dancer wrote:i've tried "Thereshallbewings" a dozen times by now, floating in space, but NOTHING ever happens.... no "beeps", no menu's..... can anybody tell me what the hell i am doing wrong????????????? :evil:
I have version 1.3, and i am using one of my savegames...; Any help? thx, 1000x thx's.....
if you mistype it once - well one can just try again sometimes, but the keys may have causes some other Effects then. Restarting the game may help. Also you shouldn't have any menues open or stuff when you type it, and make sure, that, while typing the word, none of the keys must have any effect.... if e.g. the targeting modus triggers while typing or some gumps (uhm menues) open, then you're already wrong.
I guess the speed matters... try not to type too fast but not too slow either - maybe half a second each?

not sure on the later as to what the limits are.. guess it's not all that strict, anyway that seems to have been my experience.. usually took me 2-3 tries to get it right. (reinstalled quite often ;))

dancer
x3

Thereshallbewings

Post by dancer » Wed, 14. Apr 04, 17:24

"Thereshallbewings" is exactly like i typed it... but after the B, all the other key's act like in-game...i have a few scripts i would like to try, but i'm getting desperate... I've even reinstalled the game two times, restarted a new game time after time.... nothing works. help :headbang:

dancer
x3

Post by dancer » Fri, 16. Apr 04, 23:33

is there a way you can send me a savegame of a new game with the script editor already activated????? Thx
i'm getting mighty tired and verry pissed just trying. :evil:

InCoMpLeTe
x3

Post by InCoMpLeTe » Sat, 17. Apr 04, 01:45

Are u using shift for the capitol T rather than caps lock? took me a while to figure that out then it workd fine!?
PrOpErTy Is ThEfT,dEsTrUcTiOn Is CrEaTiOn

moggy2
x3ap

Post by moggy2 » Sat, 17. Apr 04, 01:55

The biggest problem opening the script editor is the slugish keyboard response in the game.

I have a couple of tips that might help you if you can't get it to work:
  • 1. find a nice quiet sector with not much going on, and where you get a higher frame rate. You'll get better keyboard response.

2. practice typing it first somewhere where you can see what you're typing. Try renaming a ship "Thereshallbewings". It won't open the script editor, but you will see that some letters have been missed, and thus you can see why it's not working. With practice you will be able to type the whole thing without mistakes, but it's not as easy as you think.

3. be very carefull when using the shift key. It's very likely that you'll generate a double "Tt" if you lift off the shift before the T
Sorry if I sound patronising telling you you need to learn to type. I hope this helps though.

dancer
x3

Post by dancer » Sat, 17. Apr 04, 14:44

no sorry, i know i have to try, but the post was after 4 hours of trying. so i was a little over the top :D

Saheike
x4

Scripteditor etc pp

Post by Saheike » Sat, 30. Oct 10, 03:25

I have the same probs as the others here...

:oops:
Lieben Gruß von Sabine

//^:^\\ Trakkathrin-Kilrathina

Liberte, Egalite, Variete...

Shadow dream
x3tc

Post by Shadow dream » Sat, 30. Oct 10, 19:31

moggy2 wrote:With practice you will be able to type the whole thing without mistakes
this sounds so bad :D
take lessons how to activate script editor - only 5$ per hour! :rofl:

In fact everything is explained very well in this thread:
- get a quiet place (for high fps / no lags)
- stop your engines and close all menues
- tipe slowly (~1 letter per second) --Thereshallbewings--. The keys as B or E will respond. (some say it doesn't, maybe it's different from game to game?)
- press s - c - s (enter the control-menue, where you find Navigation, fight, traders,...) and scroll down. there should be the script editor menue.
- double enter to get to the scripts-list
- highlight the wanted script and launch it via r - enter - enter - [var. enter variables if asked]

that's it (and I should get my five bucks for this now :D )

Shadow
Wahre Gentlemen behalten sogar umzingelt von Löwen ihren Leitsatz: Ladies first.
Wann lernt die Gesellschaft endlich, dass Geld erst die Probleme macht, die wir haben?
[ external image ]
Topic - Gallery - Forum - Freiheit

gslack

Post by gslack » Thu, 19. Jul 12, 06:37

I may be new here but I have seen for myself this same issue.. Sometimes "Thereshallbewings" works, and sometimes it does not.. I generally have a 50/50 chance it will work in any given game. I type it just as I wrote it, in space with little traffic, docked, doesn't matter. Its a dice roll for me and I am sure my setup is not so obscure to be the only person this happens to, in fact here in these forums I see this is the case.

Its an unnecessarily difficult process with too many little niggling variables IMHO, but its how it is and if I want to play it to its potential I have to cope.

I would recommend going down the tips given here and trying them all, eliminate what doesn't work until you have it. For me its usually easiest doing ti in a new game. It WILL work it does, but it does take patience and perseverance. I would try a new game, once you get it to work save it under a unique name. That way you can use that save for new games of the same type without having to go through the hassle each time.

Well good luck!

PS. By the way, this may be already covered or not a factor but, be sure you are changing the pilot name and not the ship name.. Sounds silly but its an easy thing to mistake.

3iff
x2

Post by 3iff » Thu, 19. Jul 12, 13:50

One secret is to type s-l-o-w-l-y (that is in a slow manner). It helps that I'm poor at typing!

I never have any problems doing it this way.
...locating mandolin strings in the middle of Austin.

X2-Illuminatus
Moderator (Deutsch)
Moderator (Deutsch)
x4

Post by X2-Illuminatus » Thu, 19. Jul 12, 15:13

PS. By the way, this may be already covered or not a factor but, be sure you are changing the pilot name and not the ship name.. Sounds silly but its an easy thing to mistake.
In X2 you neither have to change the ship nor the pilot name to activate the Script Editor. Thereshallbewings has to be typed while being in space, best while no menu is open that accepts any typed in letters.
Nun verfügbar! X3: Farnham's Legacy - Ein neues Kapitel für einen alten Favoriten

Die komplette X-Roman-Reihe jetzt als Kindle E-Books! (Farnhams Legende, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko, X3: Hüter der Tore, X3: Wächter der Erde)

Neuauflage der fünf X-Romane als Taschenbuch

The official X-novels Farnham's Legend, Nopileos, X3: Yoshiko as Kindle e-books!

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”