Commonly Asked Questions! (Read before you post!)

General discussions about the games by Egosoft including X-BTF, XT, X², X³: Reunion, X³: Terran Conflict and X³: Albion Prelude.

Moderator: Moderators for English X Forum

dcheng7475
x3

Commonly Asked Questions! (Read before you post!)

Post by dcheng7475 » Sun, 7. Mar 04, 03:39

Here are some commonly asked questions I generated from reading the first 13 pages of X-Universe Forum, Hope it will help the newbies. ^^

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Setting up turrets to fire automaticly on enemies?
esd wrote:Buy the combat software from an Equipment Dock. Then go to the command menu of the ship with turrets. Below Navigation/Trade/Special/Whatever you'll see "Command all turrets" and then each turret listed individually. Assign commands there, such as "Attack my target", "Fire on all enemies", "Defend ship" and "Missile Defense"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Best Buy and Best Sell Commands
Creston wrote:The Best Buy and Best Sell COMMANDS only work if a ship is assigned a homebase. Go into the ship's command console, look for the Homebase setting, and assign it to a homebase.
Repair the Hulls of damaged ships
Creston wrote:Repairing a hull can be done at a Wharf or a Shipyard. Go into the trade screen, and all the way at the top will be an option to repair, it looks exactly the same as the Sell Ship section does (although the amount of credits involved is a lot less).
Spacefly catching upgrade
pjknibbs wrote: Hunting Space Flies is an exercise in frustration. They don't stay stunned very long, so you can't stun them and then use the Special command software to pick 'em all up like you can with asteroid fragments--you have to pick EVERY RUDDY ONE up manually, then zap the rest again to make sure they stay asleep.
Captureing spacesuits/slaves?
james_2k wrote: you can capture spacesuits, i think that you need the life support system, but once you have captured any ejected pilots, you can sell them as slaves!
Taking over pirating ships
Rapier wrote: You do this in exactly the same way you would go about blowing up a ship. Sometime the pilot decides his or her ship is not worth dying for and makes a quick exit, leaving the ship under your control.
How to sell your ships?
CBJ wrote:Choose Trade with Station. Your ship will appear in green at the top. You can't sell the ship you are sitting in
How to transfer cargo between ships?
Rapier wrote: You have three options to transfer goods.

1) Land both ships on a station and select 'transefer cargo' from the captured ships menu.
2) Order the ship to drop the cargo and collect them in your ship (make sure you're close and no-one else is around to steal them).
3) Get a transporter device installed on your ship and beam them accross.
How do u know which rank u are ?
CBJ wrote: Just go to your player screen (press P). The ranks for combat, trading, and race notoriety are listed there.
Lotteries
Sir Crashalot wrote:the odds of actually winning one of the lotteries in the game is about as good as winning the lottery in real life.
How the l do you keep captured equipment intact?!?
brucebia wrote: The pilots are very well trained and destroy everything they can so it will not fall into enemy hands. After all they really don't like what you have done to them so they get even.

You just have to keep at it. sooner or later you will find a coward pilot who will forget .
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... 887#344887

Can you hiring mercs?
Sir Crashalot wrote:Not as such, no.

You can hire a TL transporter and get it to follow you with all its fighters but it is slow and you`ll have to pay it a sum of money every time you go through a jumpgate.

Once you own other ships, you can assign them to be your wingmen.
Underattack
Sir Crashalot wrote:I think you can ask them for help if you are in communication range. (8km)

I haven`t tried with ships but I once had to call a factory for help when my mining ship in Elenas Fortune got attacked by pirates and it sent out loads of ships to fight them.

Note : The communication option will only be there if you are under attack, otherwise it`ll only show the request to dock. (on factories anyway)
How to make Factories work
stuck ina tree wrote:if you look at your ships information, you'll see it has resources, it needs these resources to make the products. Use a transport ship to go and get the required resources
rd: You also need to give your base some credits in order that the transporters can buy the required resources If you don't, They will just sit in the bay of the station.
How to Picking up loot after killing a ship...?
Darquies wrote:Target the cannister containning the goodies, fly to it when it's around 900m from you open your cargo bay by pressing the o key on your keyboard, then fly into the cannister.

warning: if the cannister is too big, it will hurt your ship. and your shields will be down during this process so be careful

cyderpunk: The other option is to use the Special Command software to pick them up, you can also tell your other ships with this installed to do it (ie a ship with lots of cargo space) with Special -> Collect Wares in Sector.
Where to buy 25MW shield?
richpb7 wrote:Make friends with the Split (knocking off pirates in their sectors being the best option) as they are the only race to have a steady supply of 25MW shields.
Jumps
Creston wrote:jumps means the total amount of jumps that ships will go to either buy or sell from the sector your factory is in.
Autopilot/Autodocking
pjknibbs wrote:Use C to enter the command console of a remote ship (Shift+C does the same job for the one you're flying)--all the automatic commands are available there.
Remote Trading
CBJ wrote:You can trade remotely by installing a Trading System Extension in the ship you are flying. Best Buy and Best Selling Price Locators, also installed ithe ship you are flying, are a great help too.
Entering ships
NeverSnake wrote:Shift-e when you're within 50m.

or hit I when you're within 50m to bring up the info screen which should have that option.
Factory Purchase
rd wrote:Buying stations is covered in the 3rd tutorial. But in short. . .

Find the TL transporter in the sector you wish to buy, comm the captain,

1) I want you to transport something
2) Dock at shipyard
Go to the shipyard, yourself

When the TL gets there, the factories all turn White.
Choose the station(s) you want to buy. And confirm by hitting 'Enter' when the name of the TL shows

3) Follow me
4) Drop my frieght here

Confirm the placement by hitting 'Enter' again

Walla Youre station is built.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -Note

Through steps 1 to 4, You have to comm the captain of the TL each time.
Salvage insurance
Pange wrote:It's in the Goner Temple in Cloudbase South West.
Want FREE Salvage insurance?
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... ht=salvage
Crates inside stations?
NeverSnake wrote:Crates inside stations will appear at random and are almost always accesable with an M5.
Mars Mug: Don't worry too much about crashing into walls, it doesn’t damage the ship. You can bounce around inside the station at full speed, with shields down and cargo bay open like you’re inside a bouncy castle.

You can get stuck in the pipework sometimes, but pressing ‘esc’ usually helps.
S, M, and L ships
Apoch wrote:S ships have minimal equipment; M have medium-level; L have high-grade shielding and decent weapons.
How to scan for yield?
Bowak wrote:Target roid. Hit I. You have to be close tho.(about 20km) You can do this from the sector map faster.
Trade Software MKIII
dcheng7475 wrote:The highest level you can get in 1.3 patch is lvl 10
dcheng7475 wrote:To find out what lvl is the ship equiped with a Trade Software MKIII: Make sure your current ship is equipped with best sell locator, then press "R", select the ship equiped with a Trade Software MKIII, press "5" and you will see on the screen of the # of Salvage insurance(the level)
More info on Trade Software MKIII : http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=39998

Want FREE Salvage insurance?
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... ht=salvage
My TL was colliding with smaller ships during autopilot?

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtop ... 626#339626
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31909
Is it possible to be a smuggler?

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31804
A problem with SPEED

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31832
Sector Defence

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=31632
Further more:
What should I do with 1~3,000,000Cr.

Simple, use your money build more fabs, until you reached 30,000,000+Cr. Go read the posts for "What should I do with 3,000,000~30,000,000Cr."
What should I do with 3,000,000~30,000,000Cr.

http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40088
http://www.egosoft.com/x2/forum/viewtopic.php?t=40253

p.s. Special thanks to all members in egosoft.com Forum

btw, if you have a better solution to some of the above commonly asked questions, plz post it/them here, thx.
Last edited by dcheng7475 on Sun, 4. Apr 04, 10:34, edited 8 times in total.

dcheng7475
x3

Post by dcheng7475 » Sun, 7. Mar 04, 03:40

By the way, can someone answer the question "What is yield?", i kinda forget to put it up there, thx.

TerrorTrooper
x4

Post by TerrorTrooper » Sun, 7. Mar 04, 03:58

YEILD IN AN ASTEROID Does not affect production per resources in any way

Weather its a 6 Yeild, or a 106 yeild, they will still make the same amount of product for the same resources used.

Yeild does affect time of production run however

i cannot remember the specifics, but generally a 26 yeild & above is classed as enough to keep a steady suply.
64 Yeild 'roids are good, and not as uncommon as people thing.

Bora Horza
x2

Post by Bora Horza » Sun, 7. Mar 04, 04:06

Your Autopilot section appears to be wrong...

Autopilot is engaged by pressing 'U' and will;

1) Dock at targeted station - very useful early on when solo trading.
2) Follow selected target - very useful for getting behind a potential target - until you shoot and the autopilot can't keep up...
3) Jump through targeted gate - self explanatory...
Bora Horza
Novas caught - 80
Rank - NST Enlisted Soldier
Title -

Fighter - 'Clear Air Turbulence' M3 Nova
Capturer - 'Attitude Adjuster' TP Iguana

Darshu
x3

Post by Darshu » Sun, 7. Mar 04, 05:00

The way roids work is thus:

A yield of 26 is commonly accepted as being able to supply one fab's resources (such as a Crystal Fab). In essence, if the two were linked together, a Crystal Fab and a 26 Silicon Fab, the silicon wafers would be used at the exact rate they were produced. This is the 1:1 ratio that X2 is based on. Also, a 26 roid uses e-cells at a rate that is equivalent to 1 fab, meaning 1/9 the energy output of the SPP (an SPP can normally support 9 fabs, hence chaining).

The yield is indicative of only two variables:

The rate of e-cell consumption
The rate of wafer production

As the yield goes up, so does the e-cell consumption, and the time taken to make a wafer decreases, speeding up production. In essence, multiple of the 26 yield indicate how many "virtual mines" are there.

For example, a 78 yield silicon roid can support 3 separate crystal fabs, since its output is 3x26 (the 1:1 ratio nominal). However it would also use thrice the amount of e-cells (meaning 1/3rd of an SPP output), so in reality its like having 3 separate mines on one roid, although you only pay for one.

These calculations are worth taking into consideration when setting up chains, especially with TP travel time. My common tactic, especially in sectors like LooManckStrat's Legacy (should get Best Sector IMHO) is to cluster any chains around the roids that service it, if possible. Since a Manta getting e-cells from the two adjacent sectors can get up to 998 at a time, shortages of energy are not a problem. Its when silicon, or Bofu, or Soy transport gets interrupted (or too much cluttering causing TPs to be destroyed by ramming their home station, I've seen this happen) that chains start to fail.

Luckshot
x3tc

Post by Luckshot » Sun, 7. Mar 04, 12:20

Well, i have something to mention, here it comes:

Best buy and sell command:
You can only assign a station as homebase if its your station.

Capturing Space Suits/Slaves:
Either you have a life support system or you use a TP Craft for capturing.

How to sell a ship:
You have to be docked at a shipyard of some kind, other stations won't buy ships.

How to make factories work:
You can order transports to supply/sell product of your factories on its own. In order to do that they need Trade MK1 for buy and Trade MK2 for sell. And they have to be assigned to the factory as homebase.

Where to buy 25 MW Shields:
If you can buy a Vessel as "L" and it can equip 25 MW shields, they are already installed (max number).

Autopilot:
If you want to order the craft you're sitting in to dock at a selected station, just press "u".

How to scan for Yield:
You also need a mineral scanner in order to get results.

dcheng7475
x3

Post by dcheng7475 » Sun, 7. Mar 04, 23:08

More questions:

01. Can your stations automactally transporting goods between each others (without using scripts)?

02. When use the best buy/sell locator, does it only show the price of the seceter the ship is located?

03. whats the differences between difficulty lvls?
Last edited by dcheng7475 on Mon, 8. Mar 04, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.

Seraph062
x2

Post by Seraph062 » Sun, 7. Mar 04, 23:50

Repair the Hulls of damaged ships

Creston wrote:
Repairing a hull can be done at a Wharf or an Equipment dock.
Isn't it Wharfs and shipyards?

Flic
x3

Post by Flic » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 00:02

er...
1. what command would be used to make a fighter launch from your factory and destroy badguys when they turn up then land again at the factory?

2. the best way of capturing novas?

i asked at the uncc thread... but they suggested ttaking its shields down then letting them recharge ( didn't say by how much) and doing that about 5 times, the proble, with that is that one my novas sheilds can't always handle being worn down for five recharges and depletions of the targets sheilds + they don't take long to ram into you and destroy themselfs (or me)

Luckshot
x3tc

Post by Luckshot » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 00:39

01. Can your stations automactally transporting goods between each others (without using scripts)?
No, maybe such a script is implemented in a future patch.
02. When use the best buy/sell locator, does it only show the price of the seceter the ship is located?
Yes, but you can view station prices manually in other sectors if there are
a. ships, which you own
b. stations you own
c. a satelite you own
03. whats the differences between difficulty lvls?
afaik (not sure) only the starting equipment of your Discoverer.
eg at easy it is nearly fully maxed (only rudder opt is not maxed)
and on x-treme it is nearly a pile of junk (no upgrades at all if I'm not mistaken)

dcheng7475
x3

Post by dcheng7475 » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 09:46

should we make this post a Sticky? I am sure it will help the newbies....

The_Abyss
x3

Post by The_Abyss » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 09:50

dcheng7475 wrote:should we make this post a Sticky? I am sure it will help the newbies....
Nobody reads them :P
Strung out on Britain's high, hitting an all time low

dcheng7475
x3

Post by dcheng7475 » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 10:04

The_Abyss wrote:
dcheng7475 wrote:should we make this post a Sticky? I am sure it will help the newbies....
Nobody reads them :P

hehehe.... true...[sigh]

DanishEagle
x3tc

Post by DanishEagle » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 11:06

maybe the stickys should have their own page, so on page 1 of the forum there would only be stickies, on page 2 there would only be one thread "have you read the stickys?" and then the forum could start on page three :D

Or maybe it's because the name of the faq is "The Ultimate Guide For Everything: DON'T Panic" a title i love, but people have a tendency to overlook long titles.

Maybe it's because of the word Sticky in front of the name. I'm pretty sure your eyes wonders down the forum if the first word isn't exactly what your looking for. Maybe if they were stickys, witout being marked as stickys.

Maybe i should just shut up about it and keep answering those few questions i know the answer to, when they are asked, but on the other hand my fondness of typing the word "Sticky" has grown signifcantly in the cause of this post about stickys im typing right now.

DE
(who considering switching to some bewerage without coffein)

Obiwan007
x4

Post by Obiwan007 » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 11:13

I got a question, where in the blue hell can i find Nvidium??? i know where to SELL it but could some one name me a sector that has Nvidium roids plz!

Thx in advance

Obi :D
The Force is with ME!!! ... Just not so sure about YOU!!!
[ external image ]

DanishEagle
x3tc

Post by DanishEagle » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 11:20

In the:
Spoiler
Show
unknown sector N,W from Getsu fune. You'll have to go thru a Xenon sector, but explore in a fat ship, strap a jumpdrive on your mineship, and you should be set
DE

Obiwan007
x4

Post by Obiwan007 » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 11:25

thx bud :D
The Force is with ME!!! ... Just not so sure about YOU!!!
[ external image ]

dbgray
x3

Post by dbgray » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 16:17

I have a question about mine. Is there a minimum size of asteroid for placing a mine on?. I have found a few asteroids with a silicon yield of 26 but are small and when the mammoth arrives there is no command for dropping cargo or anything like that.

Captain_Noob
x2

Post by Captain_Noob » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 16:32

This really should be Stickied i Think :idea:
Captain Noob's mighty Fleet:
1 Solar Power Plant @ Kingdom End
1 Solar Power Plant @ Herron's Nubula
1 Silicon Mine @ Ore Belt
1 Split dragon 'Icarus'
1 Teladi Harrier 'Daedalus'
1 Argon Nova 'Gunstar'
1 Teladi Vulture
9 Boron Manta

" Keep Firing Assholes!!" - Captain Noob

DanishEagle
x3tc

Post by DanishEagle » Mon, 8. Mar 04, 17:14

dbgray wrote:I have a question about mine. Is there a minimum size of asteroid for placing a mine on?. I have found a few asteroids with a silicon yield of 26 but are small and when the mammoth arrives there is no command for dropping cargo or anything like that.
As long as the yield is above 25 it's ok. Then the mine will produce fast enough to support a Silicon consuming factoru i.e. Crystal Fab, as long as you keep it filled with Energy Cells.

If the mammoth is having your Mine on board, comm with the Captain and ask him to "Please unload my cargo here" then you will be shown the sectormap, and you can select the astoroid on wich you want the Mine deployed.

NOTE: The Mammoth will have to be within a certain range of the roid an wich you want the Mine. Use the "Please move to position...." command via the comm with the captain, to get him fly where you want him.

DE

Return to “X Trilogy Universe”