Contact persons for signing scripts and .... rules.

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

M.Kessel
xr

Contact persons for signing scripts and .... rules.

Post by M.Kessel » Thu, 18. Mar 04, 21:36

Ladies and gentleman.
Dear teammates,

Have you heard the news: „ticaki and my humble person are the official contact persons for signing scripts."

You can get fame and honor now by getting your script signed and turned into an official bonus add-on. And – A german game magazine -- PC Action -- showed GREAT interest in publishing the signed scripts on their cover CD's

Now to the rules:

We will need scripts that will enrich X2.

Examples:

Scripts, to enhance the command menu structure.
Scripts, for better micro management. (scripts that will transfer money from the factory to the player account (or vica versa) and warn in case of an underflow.)
Better attack-scripts.
Better capture scripts.
Better gathering scripts.
Mining scripts,
Sector guards. Universe guards. Mercenary scripts.
Scripts, that simulate more life (in the X Universe).
Better trading and transport scripts.
Player HQ -- (but be serious :D and maybe people can work together here)
-- insert your fantastic idea here --
etc.

BUT:

We do NOT need scripts that will make X2 into a self-playable Demo. We want to enrich X2, not to dull it. Example: In the normal game, there will never be a standalone all-in-one factory manager ---- But even the all-in-one factory manager may have a chance (to be a signed script) --- It should only be possible to use this, if the player has a HUGE amount of ships/factories to manage. And if the script is -- as example -- only included in the player HQ extensions, which comes along (should be) with an very, very huge price tag!

And the other thing is: we don't want moneymaking machines as scripts. All things that make money should have a hefty, right price tag.

Here is the rule: Look at the factories. Check the time when you get your first Credits back from them. Use that as base for your thoughts.

And the next rule is: We are allowed to change critical things. BurnIt and I will make audits :D of the scripts. After we finish that we will discuss any needed or necessary changes with the author of the script. If he agrees and changes these discussed (open) points, then there will be no problem. Otherwise there will be no problem either, but no official signing. :D

Most of these are technical issues like:

Waits on the right places. (necessary, for the engine)

Use of existing scripts as „!Move.movetostation“, (makes sure, you reach your target)

The right checks "if THIS-> landed" is very nice – But be sure, you are in the right place and perhaps use the better command "If DOCKEDAT == $targetstation". :D

etc. depending on script.

Some others are:

Exploitable functions must be removed. Too strong settings of some values must be reduced.

-----------------------------

If the author agrees to that, and he agrees that we can publish his scripts, too, and if we can get an agreement about the things that should be changed, nothing more will hinder the signing.

People that are using a script of which they think, "Hey, this needs signing", they can contact us as well. Then we will contact the author. But we will only sign these scripts, if we can get the approval of the original author.

If you like to put your company name into the logbook, starting the script, please use a name that fits basically to X2. I have to use this rule for my own name, too. :D M'Kess – hm – maybe Split, I have to ask Helge about this. :D

Ok, that's it.

If you are not too scared by this rules and the fact, that BurnIt and I will look critical over your scripts, send in your scripts to us.

Oh, yes, I like documentations and/or readmes included (programs without Docs are only rumors)

And if you are able to use more than one language (for your script), you will see tears of pure joy in our eyes, if you send this to us – :D it spares us time (to translate).

Greetings Mike

P.S. Ah, one last point. Who do you think will give support for signed scripts? I will give you a hint: It's not your mother.

P.P.S. Please send the scripts to scripts@egosoft.com

*Edited for better clarity of content*

*Edited by Burianek 10/14* - I've also recently signed on to be a contact person for the english script signing process. So don't be surprised if you initially get a pm from me instead of ticaki or mkess.
Last edited by M.Kessel on Fri, 19. Mar 04, 02:27, edited 1 time in total.

AalaarDB
x3tc

Post by AalaarDB » Fri, 19. Mar 04, 00:18

I assume that we can send scripts via email to info@egosoft.com, or is there a different address we can send them to to get them signed faster?

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Fri, 19. Mar 04, 17:16

I think we may surprise Egosoft now this in place :)

Got a question: I believe i was told Egosoft dont want missions writing using the script editor, something about them prefering the compile method.

Im writing mission/encounters that run from a master script (all writen using the script editor). The missions im current concerned where as based on the fictional events from the BBS so if the player reads the story and goes to a sector where it happened something may happen thats connected to the story. Though not every time. If the player is in a certain system the master script calls the mission script and checks if the conditions are right to enable the mission. If they are the mission (more of an encounter really) runs and the player recieves a message saying something is happening and allowing him to make a choice whether he wants to get involved in the encounter.

If he leaves the system without completeing the encounter the encounter stops.

At any one time there will only be 2 mission scripts running, when no missions are active there will only be 1 script running, the master script.

Are Egosoft interested in missions/encounters writen this way ?

Im writing them anyway so this question is really to ask if i should send them to you for appraisal after i get them working.

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

M.Kessel
xr

Post by M.Kessel » Fri, 19. Mar 04, 21:12

giskard wrote:I think we may surprise Egosoft now this in place :)

Got a question: I believe i was told Egosoft dont want missions writing using the script editor, something about them prefering the compile method.

Im writing mission/encounters that run from a master script (all writen using the script editor). The missions im current concerned where as based on the fictional events from the BBS so if the player reads the story and goes to a sector where it happened something may happen thats connected to the story. Though not every time. If the player is in a certain system the master script calls the mission script and checks if the conditions are right to enable the mission. If they are the mission (more of an encounter really) runs and the player recieves a message saying something is happening and allowing him to make a choice whether he wants to get involved in the encounter.

If he leaves the system without completeing the encounter the encounter stops.

At any one time there will only be 2 mission scripts running, when no missions are active there will only be 1 script running, the master script.

Are Egosoft interested in missions/encounters writen this way ?

Im writing them anyway so this question is really to ask if i should send them to you for appraisal after i get them working.

Giskard
Begin with it. Maybe you will get more usefull commands ...... ;) soon :D

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 06:56

:D

I love it when a mod/dev smiles like that :)

Giskard
This signature has been stolen by the well known Teladi Signature Thief X Siggy.

Arcane Old Man
x4

Post by Arcane Old Man » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 13:00

Great news!
Novus Ordo Seclorum
[ external image ]

M.Kessel
xr

Post by M.Kessel » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 20:48

Arcane Old Man wrote:Great news!
And more news.

The first script, we will make official, is the SDS (station delivery software) from GothicX. This mod is now in the test phase, and if all things work properly, it will be there for download in a week, or two.

The TP (life) script, had a freeze :( Will be delayed, because this MUST be found. On the other side, it was delayed by the SDS script.

In queue are sripts. for an better bestprice finder, and some factory control tools. with the last things, I have some problems.

Because we only will allow full-automatic scripts, within another Project:

The Player HQ.

All interested scripters, modellers, and so on, should contact The_Jam, because he contacted Bernd, and the grafiker Chris, to get the original parts, OR even better, the help of the grafikers from EGOSOFT, building an grafical fitting HQ. Planned ports: Nomal ports, some M6 Ports, and 1 M1/M2/TL port for docking in this modell! To give that project a better chance, please try to work together in one project. This will give the scripters, involved in that project, at least more ideas. --- And these are the good news, the full-automatic controll software, like factory management and Fleetcontrol were planned as Utilities for the HQ. So do not throw them away, help simply building that HQ, and the software can be signed, too.

But -- without an exiting and EXPENSIVE full functional HQ, there will be no signing of fullautomatic Factory management scripts.

If you want "fast" signing of those scripts, we only allow "factory bound" scripts, and NO global working factory scripts.

And one last thing:

The naming convention, KlausM reminded me to post them:

All scipts should start with "plugin." After that comes the srciptname. Like: "autotrade" and at last thing, the function Like "fuel"

-> "plugin.autotrade.fuel"

The Setup or Init scriptparts can include the plugin but they need not do it:

-> "setup.plugin.autotrade"

If they get signed, they simply get an exlamantion mark before the given name.

That's all for now, friends.

Greetings Mike.

P.S. I will try to make weekly news, from now on.
Last edited by M.Kessel on Sat, 20. Mar 04, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

McSmiley
x2

Post by McSmiley » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 23:26

mkess wrote:[...]but they must not do it:
Wanted to say "need not", right ?
mkess wrote:P.S. I will try to make weekly news, from now on.
I have the feeling that all of this is turning into something really great, not only the HQ delevopement but also the forum/news updates for the fans (finally) ! Thanks in advance - And don't forget :wink:

I urgently need something like an anti-SETA for my life. It's hard enough to find some time for playing at all, but now I downloaded the trial version of 3ds max and I'd LOVE to work on some designs etc. But as I have to work a lot I don't have enough time to really get something done. :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:
"Ihr seid ja alle wahnsinnig!" (Scooter, 20.Jh.)

Arcane Old Man
x4

Post by Arcane Old Man » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 23:38

This is really exciting stuff. I was concerned when it appeared that some of the modders might be disenchanted with Ego's support. This sounds really promising.
If you want "fast" signing of those scripts, we only allow "factory bound" scripts, and NO global working factory scripts.
Does that include scripts like the Station Accountant v3.5? It is global but doesn't alter the way the stations work... just makes transfering of funds bearable. :)

Regardless, a "signed" HQ mod would be fantastic!
Novus Ordo Seclorum
[ external image ]

M.Kessel
xr

Post by M.Kessel » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 23:48

Right, Thanks, I am not a native english speaker, and I did not use an dictonary, all the time.

Sorry, my fault.

It was "need not"

And to the other point:

I can only speak about the scripts, and their status of "signing", not of the EGOSOFT's internal work. I am only a fan and member of the DevNet crew.

But to make our work more transparent, I will post our efforts of building projects teams, interesting script projects, the actual status of Signing scripts, Scripts in queues, changes in the script editor, or even "an bitterly needed command wish list" :D

In my eyes, we simply need more than "Gimme your script, and I will sign it, or not!"

I will try to post weekly news or "reports" of our work.

Greetings Mike
Last edited by M.Kessel on Sun, 21. Mar 04, 00:33, edited 3 times in total.

M.Kessel
xr

Post by M.Kessel » Sat, 20. Mar 04, 23:56

Arcane Old Man wrote:Does that include scripts like the Station Accountant v3.5? It is global but doesn't alter the way the stations work... just makes transfering of funds bearable. :)

Yes, it includes all global factory handling scripts, except reports.

Greetings Mike.

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Sun, 21. Mar 04, 02:46

All this sounds pretty good to me :)

Giskard

NeverSnake
x3tc

Post by NeverSnake » Sun, 21. Mar 04, 13:22

I can just imagine the HQ now. Three M6s bays along one side and shipyard arms along the other.

If an 'official' HQ mod is being worked on then will there eventually be a signing process for mods?
"There's an old story about the person who wished his computer were as easy to use as his telephone. That wish has come true, since I no longer know how to use my telephone" — Bjarne Stroustrup

giskard
xr

Post by giskard » Sun, 21. Mar 04, 18:26

I think we would all prefer good ideas make it into the official game over unofficial mods. Even I love the official game enough to maintain an unmodded saved game i play regularly.

The scripts that get added will expand X2 in ways no other X game was expanded it and hopefully give the devs time to work on important features scripts cannot add to the game.

This could be what X2 needs to stay on top of this gaming genre.

Giskard

The_Rock
x2

Post by The_Rock » Sun, 21. Mar 04, 18:30

giskard wrote:..

The scripts that get added will expand X2 in ways no other X game was expanded it and hopefully give the devs time to work on important features scripts cannot add to the game.

This could be what X2 needs to stay on top of this gaming genre.

Giskard
I fully agree.
"How very touching his meaningless death was. But this fight was never for mortals".

AalaarDB
x3tc

Post by AalaarDB » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 01:44

I tried emailing scripts@egosoft.com and got this error:
The original message was received at Mon, 22 Mar 2004 01:38:34 +0100
from web60901.mail.yahoo.com [216.155.196.77]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
xjamix@web.de
(reason: 550-})
(expanded from: :include:/home/egosoft/_lists/scripts.lst)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mx-ha01.web.de.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550-}
<<< 550 Unknown local part xjamix in <xjamix@web.de>
550 5.1.1 xjamix@web.de... User unknown
<<< 503 Valid RCPT TO <recipient> must precede DATA

In case you did not get my email, here is Fleet Commands V2
http://strike9.com/file.ashx?path=%5cAa ... andsv2.zip
or
http://strike9.com/comments.aspx?fileid ... andsv2.zip

M.Kessel
xr

Post by M.Kessel » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 15:52

aalaardb wrote:I tried emailing scripts@egosoft.com and got this error:
The original message was received at Mon, 22 Mar 2004 01:38:34 +0100
from web60901.mail.yahoo.com [216.155.196.77]

----- The following addresses had permanent fatal errors -----
xjamix@web.de
(reason: 550-})
(expanded from: :include:/home/egosoft/_lists/scripts.lst)

----- Transcript of session follows -----
... while talking to mx-ha01.web.de.:
>>> DATA
<<< 550-}
<<< 550 Unknown local part xjamix in <xjamix@web.de>
550 5.1.1 xjamix@web.de... User unknown
<<< 503 Valid RCPT TO <recipient> must precede DATA

In case you did not get my email, here is Fleet Commands V2
http://strike9.com/file.ashx?path=%5cAa ... andsv2.zip
or
http://strike9.com/comments.aspx?fileid ... andsv2.zip
Your script is safe. This are some unknown problem with some e-mail adresses. I've got your mail.

Maybe the web.de spam filter. :D Excellent piece of Software. :twisted:
Last edited by M.Kessel on Mon, 22. Mar 04, 18:34, edited 1 time in total.
I'm depressed

bryant
x2

Post by bryant » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 16:58

I speak German and also perfect English, and would be happy to proof, or translate direct from german if you wish.

I used to be an English teacher when I first came to Germany, before I learnt to speak German and continue in my proffesion as developer.
MFG.
Doug.

M.Kessel
xr

Post by M.Kessel » Mon, 22. Mar 04, 18:32

bryant wrote:I speak German and also perfect English, and would be happy to proof, or translate direct from german if you wish.

I used to be an English teacher when I first came to Germany, before I learnt to speak German and continue in my proffesion as developer.
That's great. Thank you for your offering.

I will contact you, and you can look at some "readme's"

This will help us much. because I can explain some things in german much better, than in englisch language.

Greetings Mike.
I'm depressed

Johnn
x3

Post by Johnn » Fri, 26. Mar 04, 13:55

mkess wrote:
Arcane Old Man wrote:Does that include scripts like the Station Accountant v3.5? It is global but doesn't alter the way the stations work... just makes transfering of funds bearable. :)

Yes, it includes all global factory handling scripts, except reports.

Greetings Mike.
:?: Why not something like station accountant as some times I get a bit peed of going through my factories 1 by 1 sorting out the money. :?
The station acountant just makes it quicker and less likely to pee people of when they have 234 factories spread over Argon space.
:evil: Sometimes I cant be bothered to get passed the 1st page as it take too much time and I just decide to quit and play something else until I can be bothered to go back and sort the rest out.

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”