- [UPDATE-29.07] TuningUnit MK1 -finally signed-

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

What do you think of the TuningUnit MK1 ?

i like the idea but the energy consume / price is too high
20%
i gonna give it a try, lets see
25%
what is this good for, i've no idea
6%
very useful can't wait till it becomes official *g*
48%

Total votes: 64

dPM_HeMan
x3

- [UPDATE-29.07] TuningUnit MK1 -finally signed-

Post by dPM_HeMan » Thu, 1. Apr 04, 21:20

Note: This is the unsigned version. The signed version is listed in the Index of Signed Scripts

{edited by CBJ}

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
X² - Engine Tuning Kit - by [dPM]HeMan

Download (old Version2):
V2beta
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ever thought of buying a Nova, but decided to buy another M3 because nearly every enemy would be faster
than you with poor 160 m/s. Then this new product could be interesting for you:

It has been developed by Pirates, but now it is also available at TerraCorp HQ.
You want to know what it does, OK:

- It gives you additional engine power, making your ship considerably faster, e.g.:
Argon Nova: 356 m/s insted of 160 m/s

- the tuning lasts for a maximum of 2,5 minutes (m2), enough time to catch your enemy in most cases

- this new power has its costs though, using energycells per seconds or 1 spacefly for the hole duration,
maximum e-cell consumption is different from ship to ship. The engine will only use e-cells if you have no spaceflys.

- after the tuning process the engine has to cooldown, making the TuningUnit unavailable for 3 minutes.

- Cost: about 110000 Credits

Note: Make sure you have a shild activated otherwise tuning won't start, structural integrety was in danger.
There is an emergency shoutdown if you open cargo bay during the process (open -> wait for max. 2 seconds)

-------------------------------------------

known problems:

- since Version 1.20 there are no major known problems :D
- working on balancing

for modders:

- Script uses "COMMAND_TYPE_SPECIAL_28" and for the new ware "page id=17" "t id="5843"
- there is also a german text file in the t-folder: 490244.xml, english: 440244.xml

- thought about removing the new ware "MK1 Engine Boost" and replacing it with the unused "SINZA Boost extension"
that already exists, what do you think about that ?

Installation:

- simply extract to your X2-folder, the files in the scrips-folder go in the scripts-folder ;) (you guessed it)
if you are using english version you only need to copy the 440244.xml of the t-folder in your t-folder.

- you can use the "BoostX.test.it.xml" in the game to give you all the things you need to test the TuningUnit Mk1.
to activate the Unit simply go to your Special-command-menue and choose "MK1 Engine Boost ON/OFF..."

Have fun !

please post your opinion about the script here !
Last edited by dPM_HeMan on Thu, 29. Jul 04, 14:15, edited 20 times in total.

ColonelChris
x2

Post by ColonelChris » Thu, 1. Apr 04, 21:31

Great idea. ;-)

ColonelChris
x2

Post by ColonelChris » Thu, 1. Apr 04, 22:04

Well I've tested the German Version now and it does not only sound great - it IS great too.

Pros and "well-dones":
- keeps game balanced
- sound feedback when enabling and disabling
- not active in stations
- correctly saved
- buyable for a very adequate price at reasoned locations

Cons and "to-dos":
- no hotkey (does shift-tab work?)
- no warning sound when trying to enable during warm-up
- no warning sound when trying to enable whilst already enabled
- no subtitle ("now charging...", would be very helpful)
- message "autopilot activated" doesn't suit very well, try to play another sound, there are better one's (try the one from x-btf: "boost enabled, shields critical")

But, after all, this is a cool script and definitely worth being signed by Ego.

Kailric
x3

Post by Kailric » Fri, 2. Apr 04, 02:25

ColonelChris wrote:Well I've tested the German Version now and it does not only sound great - it IS great too.

Pros and "well-dones":
- keeps game balanced
- sound feedback when enabling and disabling
- not active in stations
- correctly saved
- buyable for a very adequate price at reasoned locations

Cons and "to-dos":
- no hotkey (does shift-tab work?)
- no warning sound when trying to enable during warm-up
- no warning sound when trying to enable whilst already enabled
- no subtitle ("now charging...", would be very helpful)
- message "autopilot activated" doesn't suit very well, try to play another sound, there are better one's (try the one from x-btf: "boost enabled, shields critical")

cool..contructive critisisim

PsychoticFx
x3tc

Post by PsychoticFx » Fri, 2. Apr 04, 03:34

Very cool :thumb_up:

Jungleer
x3

Post by Jungleer » Fri, 2. Apr 04, 03:51

This is excellent! Just the kind of thing I've been waiting for!

Imagine this in a Pegasis!
Last edited by Jungleer on Sat, 3. Apr 04, 04:01, edited 1 time in total.

dPM_HeMan
x3

Post by dPM_HeMan » Fri, 2. Apr 04, 16:20

ColonelChris wrote:Cons and "to-dos":
1) no hotkey (does shift-tab work?)
2) no warning sound when trying to enable during warm-up
3) no warning sound when trying to enable whilst already enabled
4) no subtitle ("now charging...", would be very helpful)
5) message "autopilot activated" doesn't suit very well, try to play another sound, there are better one's (try the one from x-btf: "boost enabled, shields critical")

thanks ColonelChris for your testing :)
now to your suggestions:

1) at the moment i don't know how to add hotkeys, i don't even know if it's possible anyway via the script editor, i'm hoping for patch 1.4 to improve this. If anyone knows more than i in this point please tell me !!!

2/3) i think there was a sound, i'll check that.

4) same problem like in 1) but good idea :thumb_up:

5) this seems to be a problem much deeper in program code as it is not possible to deaktivate this sound, think ego will fix this with 1.4

i'll keep you updated about any changes, gonna send it to mkess to get his opinion about making it official.

ColonelChris
x2

Post by ColonelChris » Fri, 2. Apr 04, 18:42

@Kailric: Thanks, this was my intention. ;-)

@dPM_HeMan:
Well I've already figured out myself that you cannot disable the "Autopilot activated" message, it's not your fault, sorry for that. The point is just that it sounds quite dull cause your mod has nothing to do with the autopilot. Your mod is absolutely predetermined to be used via the keyboard by pressing for example Shift-B or holding down Tab for five seconds. I hope Ego will include this feature in 1.4.

IvanT
x4

Tuning Mod - excellent idea!

Post by IvanT » Fri, 2. Apr 04, 19:35

Excellent work., - someone should be in touch with you shortly from "higher up", in the meantime, would you be kind enough to forward this and details of your work to scripts@egosoft.com.

You mod is quite frankly one of the most well balanced., well thought out items seen so far. Simple, yet effective, and able to occupy a need for emergencies of both getting in or out of a battle at speed.
Great work.!
-IvanT.
--
IvanT
Author/Scriptwriter

dPM_HeMan
x3

Post by dPM_HeMan » Fri, 2. Apr 04, 20:48

hi guys

just made a little update on the "error" sound, think the new one is much better :D

i'm still trying to fix some little problems, especially with leaving the ship while engine is tuned, then i'll send it to EGOSOFT :thumb_up:

cu

ColonelChris
x2

Post by ColonelChris » Sat, 3. Apr 04, 00:31

Alright, I'm really looking forward to the final, signed version (since I don't play modified, except for testing purposes).

n0tsane
x3tc

Post by n0tsane » Sat, 3. Apr 04, 01:05

this script sounds great! i too can't wait for the final to be released. i don’t mind playing modified, but i would rather play the tested and finished product.

i noticed your sector defense script, and if these types of scripts are what we can expect from you i can't wait for more :) great job and keep up the good work!

dPM_HeMan
x3

Post by dPM_HeMan » Sat, 3. Apr 04, 19:28

thanks guys :)

I made great progress with the script and because of that updated the version to 1.10 now :roll:

as far as i know there is only one problem left now (besides the autopilot-sound-thing) , since 1.10 you are able to activate the TuningUnit MK1 on ships other than the playership, but at the moment you are not able to activate it on two ships at the same time, because of problems with the global variable that is used.

I actually have fixed that problem in the 1.2Beta version, with the result that a new problem occured when changeing the sector, I just can't decide what problem i prefer :D

cause this seems to be a problem that lies deeper in the code i'm going to send this script to EGOSOFT now, perhaps they have a little helping hand for me :thumb_up:

by the way i startet with some manually balancing in version 1.10, if you find a ship that gets more than 110 m/s or less than 60 m/s extra speed through the tuning please post it !

cu soon

dPM_HeMan
x3

Post by dPM_HeMan » Sun, 4. Apr 04, 16:39

Update to Version 1.20 is now available.
There are no major known problems left know, just balancing :D

waiting for EGOSOFT to give me their opinion :thumb_up:
Last edited by dPM_HeMan on Sun, 11. Apr 04, 17:34, edited 1 time in total.

dPM_HeMan
x3

Post by dPM_HeMan » Sun, 11. Apr 04, 17:33

Update to Version 1.30 is now available.

- ability to deactivate tuning with the same command.
- renamed command from "activate TuningUnit MK1" to "TuningUnit Mk1 ON/OFF" due to the new function ;)

... still waiting for EGOSOFT to give me their opinion :thumb_up:

dPM_HeMan
x3

Post by dPM_HeMan » Tue, 20. Apr 04, 15:05

just a little test-file correction to restore compatibility with my other scripts, renamed 440244.xml to 442244.xml please delete old file.

dPM_HeMan
x3

Post by dPM_HeMan » Thu, 22. Apr 04, 22:45

Update: made some little speed improvements, not much though ;)

GoateeCat
x2

Post by GoateeCat » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 00:39

FANTASTIC concept. I was thinking about how much I miss afterburners the other day. I like your implementation especially.

Now I'm all motivated to make the Bilarity Engine Time Accelerator MAXIMUM, or Betamax for short.

Meh...

Constipated_Vigilante
x3

Post by Constipated_Vigilante » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 00:50

Great, they should really sign this, as there are others they should also, like the Buyware script and the patrol script. I'll definetiley d/l it when/if (hopefully not "if") they sign it.
System:
AMD Athlon 64 3700+
Sound Blaster Audigy
Geforce 6800 GS
A8N-E Motherboard
2GB DDR RAM

Edix - Intergalactic Taxi
x3

Post by Edix - Intergalactic Taxi » Fri, 23. Apr 04, 05:08

TuningUnit sounds odd, i would rethink the name, not really tuning anything more like an afterburner or power booster? Maybe use an acronym?

Sounds cool though, :D

Personally, I would call it a Gimble (in reference to a valve that controls flow in a engine). That's just my suggestion.
AMD 64 3500+
XFX Gefroce 6600GT 128Mb
1Gbyte (x2 512) Corsair XMS Twin X Memory
GigaByte K8 Triton nForce3 250Gb Motherboard

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”