Modeling Tips for X2 (in 3DMAX 5)

The place to discuss scripting and game modifications for X²: The Threat.

Moderators: Moderators for English X Forum, Scripting / Modding Moderators

QuantaCat
x2

Modeling Tips for X2 (in 3DMAX 5)

Post by QuantaCat » Fri, 2. Apr 04, 22:07

I'd like to start a list of tips for modeling; this includes editing geometry, materials, animation, converting to X2 correctly, and so on.

Making Sense Of The Manual:

What The Hell Are Bodies:
Bodies are meshes created in 3DMAX to fuel the laziness of a modeler: they get reused in other models. For example: the "nose" of the Argon Centaur M6 use reused in the Teladi Osprey M6, as are the wings of the Teladi Falcon M3 in the Osprey. Dont get me wrong, this is great: it's VERY easy to create more ships/objects with the same style.

What The Hell Are Parts:
Parts are the geometric objects (usually boxes, really.) that define different effects and cockpit placement. At the end of the manual, there is a list of "bodies", which should be actually named "parts". (Of course, if I'm wrong, please correct me)

Why Do I Need Scenes:
Scenes are files that describe where the bodies are to another. The bodies themselves can be respresented with boxes, as long as they have the meshname of the body file. "10501" for example.

Naming Conventions:
*All "bodies" start with "B_"; reduced bodies (for Level Of Details) are called the same as the previous body name, only with a number attached.
ATTENTION: This is in-program; the actual files need to have a number something between 00000 and 00999 or 10000 and 10450. For new ships (if possible) use the numbers 10500 and upwards.
*For scenes, you need to have a number as a name, something between "04000" and "04804". That is Filename, as Meshname you need to have a name the files have for the bodies.
For Example: Say you were working on a Teladi Falcon Mark Two.
Body: if you only have one "body", name it "B_FalconMK2", and export it to, say, "10501", which will create "10501.bod". This is a new model.
Scene: name the mesh to the number you chose for the body, "10501", and export it to, say, "04001". "04001.bob" will come out of it. I'm sure the number is taken already, but for example's sake, it'll do.

*NOTE: More coming soon!

Modeling:

Mirroring objects:
In the modding documents its' said that no mirroring is possible. Wrong. It is very well possible, only you do it the "physical" way. Instead of setting up a mirror, and every object you want gets mirrored on the other side, you select the object, duplicate it(shift-move it somewhere), go into Scale mode, and give in, at the bottom (where the three axes (XYZ) can be numerically entered) a minus value for the Y axis for example.
Then you rotate and translate it so it fits where you want it to.

Setting up buttons for faster workflow:
I found this to be very useful; in the "modifier" tab, just below the modifier stack, there is a row of buttons, including "PIN STACK", "END RESULT TOGGLE", "MAKE UNIQUE", "REMOVE MODIFIER" and the last (which we'll need) "CONFIGURE MODIFIER SETS". The last one you click, and select "Show Buttons". A list of buttons will now be displayed over the modifier stack. Now you hit the button again, and select "Configure Modifier Sets". There you can, by drag & drop, assign functions to buttons. Some of the ones you'll most likely need is: "MeshSmooth", "Xform", "Edit Mesh" and "UVW Map".

Construction History:
It's sometimes horrible to find out that 3DMAX doesn't have a construction history, where one can simply go back to a previous state of development. (aside from saving a lot of different files, which is necessary either way)
But what I found is that if you put in "EDIT MESH" modifiers in between big steps of editing geometry, you can always go back to the point where you put that in. The only downside to this method, is that you cannot use all tools. (editable poly/patch)

Materials & Textures:

***DOESNT WORK***
Cluster texturing:
(
I tried it yesterday, doesnt work this way, you need to have a single JPG, and do it the UVW way.)
As opposed to UVW mapping an entire object, you can select polys and assign a texture to only the selected polys. This is how it works:
1. You make a bitmap material, with the image you want to project.
2. You select the polygons you want a specific texture to be projected on.
3. You put a "UVW MAP" modifier on the object, while still in polygon selection mode, with the polygons selected.
4. You modify the projection plane in the modifier, so that it's right.
5. After getting this one part right, you immediately apply an "EDIT MESH" modifier, so that you dont change the polys where you wanted the first projection to be.
6. Through the Edit Mesh Modifier, you go into Polygonal Selection mode, and select the next set of polys you want a certain texture on. If this is a different texture, then you have to make a new bitmap material, with a new image, AND, importantly, ASSIGN A DIFFERENT MATERIAL CHANNEL TO IT.
7. With the polys selected, apply another UVW Map modifier. If you used a different image, change the Material Channel in the new UVW MAP modifier to the new channel of the new material.
8. Wash, rinse, repeat till you're done.

**NOTE: I don't know how well this works in X2. Haven't tried it personally, but as a general technique of applying textures, should work perfectly.

Converting to X2 Native Format:

Simple Tutorial

*Notes: Updated 08/05/2004 (european date)
Last edited by QuantaCat on Sat, 8. May 04, 22:16, edited 6 times in total.
T.

QuantaCat
x2

Post by QuantaCat » Thu, 29. Apr 04, 20:33

Bump.
T.

Commander Jamieson
x2

Post by Commander Jamieson » Thu, 29. Apr 04, 22:51

To add to the above re texturing, it is easy to import the games main textures into 3DSMax and use them to texturize your creation. Or if you need to import a custom texture into X2, there are some places (numbers) in the tex/true folder which have not been allocated yet for the game. One can even replace some of 3DSMax's own textures with the EGOSOFT bumpmaps and their corresponding textures.

One can see these not used X2 textures by either the same dark brown colour of some of the texture numbers or by some duplicated textures still in there. Or if one really has to add a custom texture beside all the ones already in the game, just create one with a different texture number in your tex/true folder which is not in there yet but one also has to update the cat file listing with this number too to get it to work.

Re why no one seems to be interested about modelling X2, I think the reason is the not completed X2 Mod Kit, which assumes everyone who wants to use it is a programmer, a 3D design wizard and a scripting guru.

I wish someone would write a tutorial in plain english, so most others can understand it. Yours is a start towards it, keep it up. :wink:

Cheers

kryptyk
x4

Post by kryptyk » Thu, 29. Apr 04, 23:38

Helped explain it for me! :thumb_up: :thumb_up:

QuantaCat
x2

Post by QuantaCat » Fri, 30. Apr 04, 10:54

Updated.
T.

QuantaCat
x2

Post by QuantaCat » Sat, 8. May 04, 21:58

Bump, and request for stickying.
T.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 8. May 04, 22:02

Too many stickies already I'm afraid, but I'm looking at some sort of index thread like there is already in the main forum. If someone feels like helping out, they could collate a list of links to all the best how-to and hints-and-tips type threads along with simple explanations and either post it here or PM it to me.

Other examples include Reven's unfinished Scripting Tutorials that are already sticky, and Burianek's How to install / manage scripts post that has already slipped out of site.

QuantaCat
x2

Post by QuantaCat » Sat, 8. May 04, 22:18

What about removing the Trade MK3 sticky? or is it going to be replaced by Trade MK3 part 2? (you know, the universe trader thats going to be in v1.4)
T.

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 8. May 04, 22:22

I'm happy to tidy up the stickies as much as I can, but as I say, some indexing of links will be needed first.

You seem to know more about what will be in 1.4 than I do. ;)

Sir Crashalot
x4

Post by Sir Crashalot » Sat, 8. May 04, 22:26

If you can`t dazzle them with dynamics, then baffle them with bullsh*t :D

CBJ
EGOSOFT
EGOSOFT
x4

Post by CBJ » Sat, 8. May 04, 22:27

Agreed!

QuantaCat
x2

Post by QuantaCat » Sat, 8. May 04, 22:58

Well, Mkess and Burnit mentioned it a couple of times, it's sortof obvious by now that it's likely going to be in v1.4.

Even if it isn't, I understand that you want to reserve the spot for similarly important things.

EDIT: sometimes I write very confusing.
T.

Firedancer
x3

guess the lack of interest....

Post by Firedancer » Wed, 19. May 04, 16:41

guess the lack of interest....
....is mainly related to the difficulty of getting 3Dmax V5.....

Unicron
x2

Post by Unicron » Wed, 26. May 04, 00:10

Bah, just give me a sample file, and I'll figure it out by myself. No need to read through a ton of text.

Tarter
x2

Post by Tarter » Mon, 5. Jul 04, 00:06

where or how do you get 3ds max

XeHonk
x3tc

Post by XeHonk » Mon, 5. Jul 04, 00:12

buy it
it's expensive though

krapduude
x4

Post by krapduude » Tue, 1. Feb 05, 11:12

I read here on this forum that you can get 3d studio max for about 99$ if you are studying at school. Alot cheaper than usual..... still to expensive if you only are going to use it for X2. I have it tough.....

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Tue, 22. Feb 05, 00:51

Would it not be possible for someone with 3D studio Max 5 or 6 to do a proper step by step guide using existing parts so the people who do have 3D Max at least have a chance I for one since I have access to it would be more than willing .time willing to do the odd ship for other user's if they had a personal design once I got to know how to use it properly!
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Amon RAy (RAider.EG)
x2

Post by Amon RAy (RAider.EG) » Tue, 22. Feb 05, 12:28

Hi All!

I already have take skills in modelling since I furst time launch 3ds max in august....

of course I want to share my experience and an try to write a little FAQ about "how to mod in 3dmax", but I have a bad english :(...

I can say, that in body-moddeling most powerfull instruments - extrude, bevel, chamfer - they can be used for polygons(faces), edges and vertexes....and, of course, a simple rotate, scale and move :)...

there is no way, I think, in which I can explain - how to mod....I have not enougth english words knowing :cry: ... I recommend you to just try, try, try......

and if someone ask - I`ll try to figure an answer :)....

I have a question, maybe someone know?...

the TCB animation controller!....I use it in my models, I find the way to make a properly animation in max and scenes in my mod 0.9 will be BOBs.....

but I still have one question - how to set a time interval for movement trouth the one frame to another?.....it is always exports as 33ms....I dont find any whay to edit in 3dsmax.
in bod-scene - I can just edit it with text editor, but in bob - I must set it before exporting..... ..so, maybe someone know - how :?
Sed tamen potest esse totaliter aliter.(Lat.)

TSM
Not a Moderator
x4

Post by TSM » Tue, 22. Feb 05, 23:07

DeadlyDa would be your best bet Raider!
FAQ's Egosoft Interactive FAQ
Egosoft Wiki

Return to “X²: The Threat - Scripts and Modding”